Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,981 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

Please Recommend Simple Projects That A Beginner Can Start With - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please Recommend Simple Projects That A Beginner Can Start With (1689 Views)

I Want To Hire A Beginner Who Is Willing To Learn New Skills / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? / Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Recommend Simple Projects That A Beginner Can Start With by abubaka101: 2:04pm On Oct 20, 2012
I just completed a series of tutorials that covered HTML, CSS, JavaScript, JQuery, HTML DOM, AJAX, PHP (including Classes for OOP), ASP.NET Webpages and MVC models, XML, RSS, Web Servies, which is practically much of what anyone needs if they want to be Web developers.
The way I've written it above, you may think I just went to a website and skimmed through their tutorials, and am now claiming to be a web developer.
But the truth is, I started learning HTML/XHTML in March, and I got motivated by the fact that I was at home all day, everyday (after JAMB, while waiting for post-JAMB), doing nothing. So I wrote all the tutorials in books from my fone, (it helped me to save battery and I could reference them offline), then I downloaded a text editor on my fone, which I used to practice HTML, CSS & JavaScript, before my sis left her laptop wit me.
So I've come a long way. But all those things I've learnt are going to be useless if I can think of something to use them for.
And as a beginner, it's hard for me to think of something without nearly going crazy, cause it's not easy at the beginning.
So am asking all programmers on Nairaland, to post on this thread, simple or robust ideas and projects that you have done or think I can start with at this stage that am at.
And to help me, and others who may also be interested, understand how to create this things and how they work, you can explain to us how to go about it.
I'll appreciate it, if you guys helped me out. Thank you.
Re: Please Recommend Simple Projects That A Beginner Can Start With by A2J(m): 2:12pm On Oct 22, 2012
start with a basic CRUD system, use your html & css skills to create the layout and php/mysql to do the backend. Once you can create a simple crud system with much wahala, every other ones will look.

NB: CRUD stands for Create, Read, Update, Delete.

Good luck.
Re: Please Recommend Simple Projects That A Beginner Can Start With by kodewrita(m): 8:18am On Oct 24, 2012
build a small blogging site that allows you to

type in your blog article into a form and view the created blog.
the blog should also have an index page that lists all the blog articles created.
dont bother about logins for now.
the blog articles must have the following: author, date of creation, title , content.

step II:
create a page for viewing only one post.

step III:
make it possible to reply to blog articles by typing into a small content form on the single view page(that you created in step two)

step IV:
make it possible to view by month.

step V:
stop here, review your code and try to reduce the number of lines in the application without introducing new errors.

END

Do this and we can suggest other things later.

1 Like

Re: Please Recommend Simple Projects That A Beginner Can Start With by okeyxyz(m): 6:41pm On Oct 24, 2012
way to go @kodewrita cheesy
Nice.
Re: Please Recommend Simple Projects That A Beginner Can Start With by abubaka101: 4:57am On Nov 05, 2012
Sorry for the late reply, network has been terrible. But I thank u guys for your replies.
@A2J I've started work on the CRUD system, thanks!
@kodewrita I've started work on the blog, but am confused: should i make use of a database or a text file to save the post?
Am also having difficulties trying to get the header text to be "center aligned", I've tried and tried, and it's still not working.
Can you help me out?
Re: Please Recommend Simple Projects That A Beginner Can Start With by kodewrita(m): 9:56am On Nov 05, 2012
Use a database if possible. You are more likely to need this skill early in your dev career. File I/O can come later.

Leave the center aligning issue for now and get the code working. Go back later and resolve the center alignment issue. Ideally you want to focus on one key problem at a time.
Re: Please Recommend Simple Projects That A Beginner Can Start With by abubaka101: 10:43pm On Nov 16, 2012
This blog thing seems tough ooo. Plus NEPA is not trying at all.
@kodewrita I need some advice on how/where to display the blog post that have already been saved in a database.
Re: Please Recommend Simple Projects That A Beginner Can Start With by abubaka101: 7:25am On Dec 02, 2012
I have created the blog in a very amateurish way, using ASP.NET Razor C#.
Re: Please Recommend Simple Projects That A Beginner Can Start With by xterra2(m): 7:22pm On Dec 02, 2012
I would give you ideas when you are done with the current one.

Btw,I want to see what you have done

(1) (Reply)

UML Or ORM Model? / Have A Look At The 7 Most Beautiful Hackers In The World / Web Developer Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.