Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? (14909 Views)

Motorized Three-Wheel Tricycle Spotted In Onitsha (Photos) / Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best / The New 6-wheel-drive Mercedes G63 AMG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by zylkenny(m): 7:20pm On Oct 23, 2012
optimus-prime1:

Wallie pheeew...
you took the words outta my Brainbox

Lols

Wallie:

Very true, although, we all like to believe that we're Michael Schumacher behind the wheel. grin On a side note, Peter Cuningham seems to be doing really well racing in GTS in a fwd Acura TSX with a 3.5 engine transplant. I think the bottom line with any car, with enough money and know-how you can negate any inherent deficiencies a platform presents. Understeer or oversteer can always be dialed out or mitigated against.

That's true Wallie. What kinda car do you drive? Maybe we could do a test run and giver nairalanders d results? Very educative posts from u tho
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Oct 23, 2012
Wallie:

There's no question that doing that will dilute the brand; however, there's no way BMW can continue to remain independent and innovative without creating more vehicles!

Why do you think Porsche started selling SUVs and Panameras? Even Lamborghini is trying to come out with an SUV! Moreover, Porsche and Lamborghini rely on VW for subsidy and/or technology. With Lambo, the cost of the Gallardo is subsidized by sharing the platform and engine with the Audi R8. The Porsche Cayenne is practically the same as a Touareg and Q7.

BMW is the only German company that doesn't, at least not yet, share its platform with other Make. Of course, you can argue that the X5 is really RR Sport but I think that they are so far apart that they're mere distant cousins. :-)

Did you see the monster Toyobaru created for auto enthusiast, with Toyota making the chassis and injectors and Subaru building the flat 4? That car took me into a Toyota and Subaru showroom, which is a rare feat for brands that I’ve never considered owning. That is the type of car BMW should be building for the entry level market!
The toyobaru BRZ/FRS twins are awesome additions to the small rwd coupe segment. They just need a lil more power to be very competitive in their class, toyota's TRD division should provide a performance package quickly..and another issue is the price; a fully loaded BRZ will creep into the price range of a base V8 ford mustang.
BMW co-developed some of the mini/1series engines with peugeot. I guess they Я changing their business strategy...they should produce an M7 to rival the mercedes s63 amg, develop a coupe based on the F01 7series platform to battle the MB CL-class and give it the 8series badge. And finally, stretch the X5 platform to build an X7, to rival the range rover and Mercedes GL.
*Hmmm, a bmw Z8 successor won't be a bad idea to rival the Mercedes SLS amg.
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Oct 23, 2012
@ wallie, wats ur take on this?
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Wallie(m): 10:08pm On Oct 23, 2012
platinumricky:
The toyobaru BRZ/FRS twins are awesome additions to the small rwd coupe segment. They just need a lil more power to be very competitive in their class, toyota's TRD division should provide a performance package quickly..and another issue is the price; a fully loaded BRZ will creep into the price range of a base V8 ford mustang.
BMW co-developed some of the mini/1series engines with peugeot. I guess they Я changing their business strategy...they should produce an M7 to rival the mercedes s63 amg, develop a coupe based on the F01 7series platform to battle the MB CL-class and give it the 8series badge. And finally, stretch the X5 platform to build an X7, to rival the range rover and Mercedes GL.
*Hmmm, a bmw Z8 successor won't be a bad idea to rival the Mercedes SLS amg.

I do agree that the Toyobaru needs more power and relatively expensive for what you get. There's no logical reason that I can think of for BRZ to be more expensive than a WRX that has a bigger engine and also turbo charged! Fortunately for the twins, nothing directly competes with them either. The Cayman is way up market, the MX-5 has no roof plus it carries a stigma grin, the 128 is too heavy, the 370 is too heavy and expensive, the RX8 is too unlike the RX-7, the Mustang is too heavy and uninspiring in the V6 variant (V8 costs more money), etc.

I’ve been following the twins and tuners are already getting over 400 hp at the wheels on a stock engine with bigger injectors! That’s a crazy strong engine! I’m waiting to see what a BRZ STI will look like, if it ever comes. I’m dying for a new daily driver to drive to work.

I know very little about Peugeot since it's not sold in the US, plus it's French! I think "women" and "wine" when I hear French not cars.

I definitely think that the X5 should be stretched into a GL competitor because I would rather own a BMW. The GL is cool for what it is but I heard the new one got a lot better.

I really don't see the market for a CL competitor as I think that market is covered by the Gran Coupe, which is a 4-door 6 series that competes directly with the CLS.

Will BMW make a direct competitor to the SLS and R8? Probably not, but I think they're making a mistake in not having a halo car. Instead of competing directly, they decided to build an i8 hybrid car. Who the hell wants an hybrid? On the other hand, the SLS is not that spectacular except for looks but I guess the same could be said for the R8. In a couple of years, the SLS will make a great buy around $80k.
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Wallie(m): 10:14pm On Oct 23, 2012
zyl_kenny: Lols
That's true Wallie. What kinda car do you drive? Maybe we could do a test run and giver nairalanders d results? Very educative posts from u tho

Thanks! Someday, maybe I will get the opportunity to bring motorsports and/or karting (not the play-play kind o) to naija but I'm sure people with more money will beat me to it. cry
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Nobody: 1:13am On Oct 24, 2012
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Nobody: 1:15am On Oct 24, 2012
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by automine(m): 4:42pm On Oct 28, 2012
I completely agree with you. That's why I said. "It depends in the conditions".
How many AVERAGE nigerian drives a TRUELY sports car? In real racing, you won't see a fwd car. But the AVERAGE nigerian would drive an AVERAGE car. Fuel economy, speed, safety and comfort are very important. FWD excels here. You want more power? Then go for RWD or AWD. That why mazda or acura didn't put up their FWD cars for such races. Instead they switch to other trims that have RWD or AWD.
[/quote]

i think i absolutely agree with you. FWD or RWD? it is a function of what you are looking for. if what you are looking for is a compact car with a reasonable engine size and some space then FWD is it. However, if you need some more power, speed, heavy-duty features, RWD all the way.
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by sultaan(m): 7:11pm On Oct 28, 2012
The BRZ and it sclone will have to contend with a cheaper and more powerful Focus ST http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/focusst/

But then there is the Hyundai Genesis Coupe R-Spec.

Until their Turbo version hit the market, its going to be a bumpy ride
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Wallie(m): 9:46pm On Oct 31, 2012
sultaan: The BRZ and it sclone will have to contend with a cheaper and more powerful Focus ST http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/focusst/

But then there is the Hyundai Genesis Coupe R-Spec.

Until their Turbo version hit the market, its going to be a bumpy ride

See the link below for FR-S vs Genesis Coupe R Spec.

http://www.autoguide.com/car-comparisons/2013-scion-frs-vs-2013-hyundai-genesis-coupe-20t-rspec-2103.html
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by auhanson(m): 11:10pm On Oct 31, 2012
platinumricky: Both drive systems have their strengths and weaknesses.

Front Wheel Drives
(FWDs) have an edge over Rear Wheel Drives (RWDs) in slippery conditions due to the weight of the engine over the driven wheels (they often hv a 60:40 weight distribution ratio), this gives em extra traction.

FWD systems are compact due to the transverse layout of the engine and tranaxle. This makes them lighter and much more fuel efficient as a result..besides,they cost car manufacturers less to design/build. Unfortunately,most FWD Systems can't handle Engine HP outputs in excess of 270hp due to a tendency to generate 'torque steer',this drawback,in additional to questionable stability @​ high speeds make them unfavourable for motorsports.

RWDs on the other hand have a much more favourable 50:50 weight distribution (due to their longitudinal engine setup and mounting of their gearboxes along the transmission tunnel) and handle better. They also have greater stability @​ high speeds and are much easier to predict when they close to their 'limits'. RWD platforms cost more to develop and they aint as fuel efficient as the FWDs due to their weight (thanks to their suspension and other driveline components).

RWDs can handle a lot of power and are favoured in racing circles.

What more to say? Apart from the fact that the frequency of changing shaft to that of back axle is almost 10:1 in front FWD and RWD respectively.Also, RWD handles more rough terrain than FWD; and is a lot more durable rugged than FWD
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jan 19, 2016
Simple question, simple answer.
REAR WHEEL DRIVE.
Seriously a car enthusiast always loves RWD. ALWAYS!
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by diportivo: 5:22am On Jan 31, 2016
Raymee

Get in here
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by lonelydora: 6:41am On Jan 31, 2016
platinumricky:
Both drive systems have their strengths and weaknesses.

Front Wheel Drives
(FWDs) have an edge over Rear Wheel Drives (RWDs) in slippery conditions due to the weight of the engine over the driven wheels (they often hv a 60:40 weight distribution ratio), this gives em extra traction.

FWD systems are compact due to the transverse layout of the engine and tranaxle. This makes them lighter and much more fuel efficient as a result..besides,they cost car manufacturers less to design/build. Unfortunately,most FWD Systems can't handle Engine HP outputs in excess of 270hp due to a tendency to generate 'torque steer',this drawback,in additional to questionable stability @​ high speeds make them unfavourable for motorsports.

RWDs on the other hand have a much more favourable 50:50 weight distribution (due to their longitudinal engine setup and mounting of their gearboxes along the transmission tunnel) and handle better. They also have greater stability @​ high speeds and are much easier to predict when they close to their 'limits'. RWD platforms cost more to develop and they aint as fuel efficient as the FWDs due to their weight (thanks to their suspension and other driveline components).

RWDs can handle a lot of power and are favoured in racing circles.

Fact. No more questions.
Re: Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? by Nobody: 12:26am On Mar 26, 2016
No long explanations,
RWD is d best if u are an enthusiast, i dont even need to tell u, shift the gear and take the turns, life will go sideways.
FWD, ur old grand mother and her Honda civic, that thinks 70km/h is like fast and furious. FWD is not just a petrolhead thing so if u are that non car guy get a FWD.

RWD IS THE BEST, I LOVE IT AND I EVEN if u dont, its not my business.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can A Faulty Brain Box Affect The Gear Box Of A Car / What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? / I got the Pontiac Vibe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.