Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please (11541 Views)

'Salat Man' Is Symbol Of Resistance For Muslims In Ethiopia / Happy Eid ul Adha To All Muslims In The World. / The Challenges Of Igbo Muslims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by AbuHanifa: 8:57am On Oct 21, 2012
Salam alaik,

I am on a research to find out the challenges of Islam in Nigeria. The challenge of Boko Haram is a common knowledge of all but there are some identifiable silent problems that militate against muslims acquiring required knowledge to compete with the other Islamic organizations across the world.

1. Why are the muslims lagging behind in all activities. Why don't we have enough muslims to attain managerial positions in corporate organizations. Why only few? Don't muslims go to school anymore? Where I work as an example, there are only 15 staff and only 2 are muslims. Other muslims are 2 drivers out of 10 drivers in all.

3. Why don't we have vibrant organizations that can compete with other Islamic organizations in the world. The equivalence of our MSSN in Malaysia are making serious progress. Sometimes ago, I personally threw out a vacancy to employ a muslim mechanical engineer in Lagos. After so much effort, I visited an Area Council which I will not mention. Unfortunately, a single Mechanical Engineer graduate we found outrightly showed his unwillingness; reasons best know to him. Should we continue this way?

4. Why dont we have a media of our own. Either online and offline. Is it by the virtue of our non-challant attitude towards education or muslim sisters don't further more after getting married.

5. Why are muslims only concerned with asalatu and not scholarly knowledge especially down the South. Give a muslim locally known alfa 5 minutes talk on air (in English language, you will be amazed with what you will hear. How many muslims are professors? I had a chat with a doctor in media society yesterday. He told me that in the South-West, for more than 50 years, no Muslim professor in media setting could be found.

6. Is it by default that muslim youth dominate garages?

In general, what is wrong with the muslims in Nigeria?
should
Objective answers and solutions will be highly appreciated. However, derailers should stay aloof! It will be appreciate if the MOD can push this to the FRONT PAGE.

Ma Salam

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by Walexz02(m): 9:31am On Oct 21, 2012
Where and hw did u do ur research Plz go n do it again....
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by maclatunji: 9:38am On Oct 21, 2012
AbuHanifa: Salam alaik,

I am on a research to find out the challenges of Islam in Nigeria. The challenge of Boko Haram is a common knowledge of all but there are some identifiable silent problems that militate against muslims acquiring required knowledge to compete with the other Islamic organizations across the world.

1. Why are the muslims lagging behind in all activities. Why don't we have enough muslims to attain managerial positions in corporate organizations. Why only few? Don't muslims go to school anymore? Where I work as an example, there are only 15 staff and only 2 are muslims. Other muslims are 2 drivers out of 10 drivers in all.

3. Why don't we have vibrant organizations that can compete with other Islamic organizations in the world. The equivalence of our MSSN in Malaysia are making serious progress. Sometimes ago, I personally threw out a vacancy to employ a muslim mechanical engineer in Lagos. After so much effort, I visited an Area Council which I will not mention. Unfortunately, a single Mechanical Engineer graduate we found outrightly showed his unwillingness; reasons best know to him. Should we continue this way?

4. Why dont we have a media of our own. Either online and offline. Is it by the virtue of our non-challant attitude towards education or muslim sisters don't further more after getting married.

5. Why are muslims only concerned with asalatu and not scholarly knowledge especially down the South. Give a muslim locally known alfa 5 minutes talk on air (in English language, you will be amazed with what you will hear. How many muslims are professors? I had a chat with a doctor in media society yesterday. He told me that in the South-West, for more than 50 years, no Muslim professor in media setting could be found.

should
Objective answers and solutions will be highly appreciated. However, derailers should stay aloof! It will be appreciate if the MOD can push this to the FRONT PAGE.

Ma Salam

Errrr... you might want to reconsider. Front page brings with it a lot professional derailers.
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by AbuHanifa: 9:57am On Oct 21, 2012
Walexz02: Where and hw did u do ur research Plz go n do it again....

Research not yet concluded sir. Maybe you didn't understand what I posted above.
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by AbuHanifa: 10:00am On Oct 21, 2012
maclatunji:

Errrr... you might want to reconsider. Front page brings with it a lot professional derailers.

Lol! I also believe professional contributors reside there. Perhaps I need to follow all post with my switching mechanism. Professional derailers will be seriously ignored in sha Allah. I can't stop laughing though.
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by maclatunji: 10:21am On Oct 21, 2012
AbuHanifa:

Lol! I also believe professional contributors reside there. Perhaps I need to follow all post with my switching mechanism. Professional derailers will be seriously ignored in sha Allah. I can't stop laughing though.

Your thread will give me a tonne of work to do.
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by AbuHanifa: 10:27am On Oct 21, 2012
maclatunji:

Your thread will give me a tonne of work to do.

Alright. What can you say about the topic. I need your candid contribution. What do you think is the solution pls?
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by idowuswap: 10:50am On Oct 21, 2012
Hey stop shit that is hausa land not yoruba lannd na hausa no dey go school but yoruba muslim get position.
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by abdakeem(m): 10:50am On Oct 21, 2012
i don't totally agree with u.i think we have many muslims in all profs also doing great. What i think is we have our restrictions eg: working in an intrest bank,alcohol etc,also we hide our religion!
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by IleIfe2(m): 10:54am On Oct 21, 2012
The world does not begin with and end with your religion. I don't know what part of Nigeria you come from, but a lot yoruba muslims are quite educated.
Muslims should stop the dooms day mentality, but the biggest problem most muslim societies face is, control of state resource. you cited Malaysia as an example.
Malaysia is a country where monkey dey work, baboon dey chop. They shamelessly spend infidel money while claiming to be holier than thou. The same attitude is evident in Nigeria, the way northerners are going crazy because they no longer have direct access to
government money. The problem? Change the Dooms day mentality and the "i only work with muslims" mentality.

4 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by jude33084(m): 10:56am On Oct 21, 2012
abdakeem: i don't totally agree with u.i think we have many muslims in all profs also doing great. What i think is we have our restrictions eg: working in an intrest bank, alcohol etc,also we hide our religion!

You mean τhe new generation bank? wink
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by kayswag100(m): 11:00am On Oct 21, 2012
i weep 4 motherland!!!

Sir, if u had seen a more qualified and more competent mechanical engineer u sought 2 employ who was/is a christian, so u would have dropped him for a least qualified muslim?

My peeps, hw wld some1's belief EVER affect his employment?

Even in S/Arabia, ain't most of deir expatriates christians or belonging 2 other religions?

Again, I weep 4 21st-Century Motherland!!

7 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by AyeeIdris(f): 11:01am On Oct 21, 2012
First of all, i think your assessment/research is deeply flawed.
1. Muslims are not lagging behind in any activity.And they do go to school. The qualified ones are in managerial positions and i don't think that religion has any business with who is in managerial position. its all about qualifications. The fact that there are only 2 muslims in your establishment doesn't mean that there are not more in another establishment if they are qualified.
2. As a muslim, i personally have a problem with limiting vacancies to a religious domination. Must it be a muslim mechanical engineer?? We are the same people that would complain about federal character later. Besides, the moslem associations are quite active, Nasfat and An sureedeen. They focus more on charity and helping the needy. You cant compare us to countries that have conquered basic social amenities issues that we are still dealing with.
3. I don't know what you mean by media of our own. There are thousands of Islamic programs on TV and many sites online dedicated to the Koran. The Koran preaches education for both men and women without discrimination. Here in the middle east where i am, women are holding high ranking positions contrary to popular beliefs. SO the perceived lack of education is a 'Nigerian' factor not an Islamic one. ok?
4. Perhaps you should watch more Friday television. You might have a rethink. Do you see the number of Islamic intellectuals, not the local alfas but well travelled , well researched men and WOMEN that are featured on these shows especially during the Ramadan period??
5. This is like saying only christains dominates Onitsha parks. IF there are lots of muslims residing in a particular area, chances are there are likely to have muslims youths working in the parks. Have u done a census to determine your assertion that they are more muslims in parks or is it because you see them gathering to pray? it shouldn't even matter if the parks have christians, Muslims,traditionalists, as long as it is honest work. That's all that matters to Allah.
In summary, nothing is wrong with muslims in Nigeria. There is no competition between us, christians, atheists, or traditionalists. Shey na Heaven we all wan go.

7 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by vedaxcool(m): 11:08am On Oct 21, 2012
@ OP

I think the answer to it all lies in the FRONT PAGE. Muslims seek the front page rather Allah.
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by kayswag100(m): 11:14am On Oct 21, 2012
Ayee Idris: First of all, i think your assessment/research is deeply flawed.
1. Muslims are not lagging behind in any activity.And they do go to school. The qualified ones are in managerial positions and i don't think that religion has any business with who is in managerial position. its all about qualifications. The fact that there are only 2 muslims in your establishment doesn't mean that there are not more in another establishment if they are qualified.
2. As a muslim, i personally have a problem with limiting vacancies to a religious domination. Must it be a muslim mechanical engineer?? We are the same people that would complain about federal character later. Besides, the moslem associations are quite active, Nasfat and An sureedeen. They focus more on charity and helping the needy. You cant compare us to countries that have conquered basic social amenities issues that we are still dealing with.
3. I don't know what you mean by media of our own. There are thousands of Islamic programs on TV and many sites online dedicated to the Koran. The Koran preaches education for both men and women without discrimination. Here in the middle east where i am, women are holding high ranking positions contrary to popular beliefs. SO the perceived lack of education is a 'Nigerian' factor not an Islamic one. ok?
4. Perhaps you should watch more Friday television. You might have a rethink. Do you see the number of Islamic intellectuals, not the local alfas but well travelled , well researched men and WOMEN that are featured on these shows especially during the Ramadan period??
5. This is like saying only christains dominates Onitsha parks. IF there are lots of muslims residing in a particular area, chances are there are likely to have muslims youths working in the parks. Have u done a census to determine your assertion that they are more muslims in parks or is it because you see them gathering to pray? it shouldn't even matter if the parks have christians, Muslims,traditionalists, as long as it is honest work. That's all that matters to Allah.
In summary, nothing is wrong with muslims in Nigeria. There is no competition between us, christians, atheists, or traditionalists. Shey na Heaven we all wan go.

Now, a Learned and pragmatic fellow has written...
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by domack99(m): 11:23am On Oct 21, 2012
I won't say muslim are lagging behind, its just that we have less devoted muslim, most don't even show their identity at all in the organization.
I will praise Muslim brothers who tend to with hold their identity in this trying period, sincerly its not easy i must tell.

maclatunji:
Am very sure you leave in the south west of the country, i believe you would't say this If you leave in the eastern parts or less Muslim dominated area.
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by maclatunji: 11:24am On Oct 21, 2012
OP has raised interesting issues. Poor me... Busy! Busy!! Busy!!!
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by PaulJohn1: 11:27am On Oct 21, 2012
idowuswap: Hey stop shit that is hausa land not yoruba lannd na hausa no dey go school but yoruba muslim get position.

I wonder too.
Yoruba muslims are almost as balanced as we Yoruba Christians.
I'm a Christian that grew up in a strong Muslim town in S/West.
I remember my days in basic school(christian school), their female are fire in education.

I remember Rofiat and Ganiyat wink dem be boss for book cool

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by BUSHMAN1: 11:29am On Oct 21, 2012
very nicely put.wow! you sure are very academic this post just changed how i view some muslims
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by BUSHMAN1: 11:39am On Oct 21, 2012
how about this? i work with a muslim guy (from algeria) and during the last muslim fasting he confronted me on why i have the impunity to eat and drink in his presence while he is fasting,even as a christian i grew up in a very strong muslim comunity in otukpo in benue state and i have never in my whole life experienced what the algerian guy confronted me about, infact i was shocked, are all muslim like him?
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by PaulJohn1: 11:51am On Oct 21, 2012
BUSH MAN: very nicely put.wow! you sure are very academic this post just changed how i view some muslims

No need to change any view. Your view should be that both yoruba Christian and Muslim are capable of the same, the difference is the religion.
Take a look at this; what the difference between the great intellectual of "Jarus" (Yoruba Muslim) who is a mod in the political section here on Nairaland and any other Christian mods?!

It's insane making false conclusion that muslim are lagging.

NB: I'm only speaking for the Yorubas(no other group).

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by Remii(m): 11:57am On Oct 21, 2012
Nigerian Muslim professionals are doing very well. Its just that the media has chosen to amplify only the negatives. Every criminal act of any one with Muslim name is tagged Islamic, when the same act is carried out by non Muslim they don"t attach their religion. Se some link to Islamic groups that are doing very very well.

http://www.thecompanionnig.org/index.html

http://www.tmcng.net/

http://www.mpac-ng.org/

http://www.nasfat.org/

http://www.lotuscapitallimited.com/

http://www.ansarudeenlagosbranch.org/unifemga/index.php

http://fomwan.org/

http://adyanilasa.com/
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by DANILSA(m): 12:08pm On Oct 21, 2012
@ op i think you did your research from the point of Hausa Muslim,because the Yoruba Muslims are competing favorably with other parts of the country and they practice modern ISLAM, but you see the hausas embarassed they live in the stone-age and still wants to take us to the wood-age cry you hardly go to any private firm and see a Hausa Muslim occupying any position other than driver or Gate-man, You can only see few in custom,immigration and NCDSC due to federal character. The Yorubas both muslim and christian allocated all Government positions to themselves due to their early education. The ratio is this way; HAUSAS Occupy political positions more, YORUBAS Occupy government positions more, while Igbos Occupy private firms more. so change your topic to Hausas Muslims grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by alienvirus: 12:16pm On Oct 21, 2012
SMH! The replies here have confirmed the OP's perception. OP was objective but what I read her was subjective comments. I used to give kudos to vedaxcool and remii on NL but they missed it all this time.

OP, I suggest NL is d worst place to be objective as Mac stylishly warned. Get d research done somewhere else.

This is not going to be easy. I am out...
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by disloman(m): 12:23pm On Oct 21, 2012
my guy,ur research is inconclusive.check d trado-medicinal sector.u will b surprised n most problem of the muslims is dat when they av acquired d knowledge of d quran,the nxt thing 4 them is 2 b an alfa
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by tbaba1234: 12:23pm On Oct 21, 2012

Sister, wink grin

1. I agree, many muslims serve in managerial positions and as members of boards of major cooporations.

2. I do think we face a fundamental problem here because many of these organizations are not connected to the youth. There is a real dearth in Islamic education amongst muslim youth in Nigeria and many of these organizations are disconnected from them. So I agree with the OP on this point.

3 & 4 . Well, I do feel that many muslim sisters do not know their rights Islamically. Many are simply not knowledgeable enough so they succumb to what they have been told. There is a problem with Islamic education in Nigeria. I find it difficult to get a Nigerian Muslim Dawah Organization with a website (There are a feww )... That is like a basic requirement for any organization. How do you connect with the youth? So my dear sister, I disagree with you.. The youths are disconnected from the old folks and disconnected from the essence of their deen. The Organizations are not active and our women do not have the proper education. Except many things have changed, friday TV was not that great. Plus, It is all yoruba. I agree that there are some knowledgeable people but not nearly enough. Many local alfas know very little about the deen and you will be shocked about the things they say.

5. I agree with you!

There are problems with muslims in Nigeria.
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by Remii(m): 12:24pm On Oct 21, 2012
alienvirus: SMH! The replies here have confirmed the OP's perception. OP was objective but what I read her was subjective comments. I used to give kudos to vedaxcool and remii on NL but they missed it all this time.

OP, I suggest NL is d worst place to be objective as Mac stylishly warned. Get d research done somewhere else.

This is not going to be easy. I am out...

my brother, nothing spoil. we are still good. I did dot put the blame of the negative media representation on non Muslims, everyone, including peaceful silent Muslim majority too.
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by alienvirus: 12:38pm On Oct 21, 2012
Remii:

my brother, nothing spoil. we are still good. I did dot put the blame of the negative media representation on non Muslims, everyone, including peaceful silent Muslim majority too.

Bro remii, I am sure you have travelled far and wide and you should know better. I am pretty sure you have seen the wonders of the youth in d raised country and dubai. I was a bit disappointed with the points people raised here. Vedaxcool is always at his best while arguing against Logicboy. Maybe Sweetnecter will get it right. I won't be surprised if Lagosshia will captures it well. These are the muslims I personally search for their comments. Tbaba actually got it right.

OP, I think there should be serious reorientation of the muslims and the islamic vanguards should be refined.
Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by sparrowkid: 12:44pm On Oct 21, 2012
@OP. Let me first start by saying Jazakallahu khayran for raising these all important issues. These are issues that have been bothering me for quite some time now. And it's my belief that you'll never relent until you find some beneficial answers to some of the issues you raised above. I may not have all the statistics, but I want to use my own experience as a case study. Out of over 150 of us(Muslims) that went to the same primary school in the late 80s, I can say that we were not up to 50 that made it to the secondary schools. What was en vogue then was to pass out of the primary school and take up apprenticeship. Out of that 50, you can be rest assured that we were not up to 15 that finally passed our WAEC. I can talk authoritatively on this statistics because I was the headboy and I still communicate with some of them even up till this moment.

Secondly, I went to a Catholic secondary school, we were 43 Muslims in numbers that wrote WAEC then out of over 200 candidates. As at this moment, only about half of us are able to proceed to higher level of education. The rest have been dropped along the way. Similarly I'm sure of this because we still keep tab on each other. I was also the senior prefect so i still communicate with some of them. I believe a discerning mind can follow the dwindling statistics of my mates.

Thirdly, at the university level, we were not up to 50 Muslims in my set. But as at now,only 3 of us have either completed or in the process of completing their Masters' programme.

Now you can see the trends. The question I have been asking myself is where will the shortfall come from? This is only the one I can speak of categorically because I'm involved, what of others that I'm not even aware of?
I hope as the discussion continues, our generation will be able to proffer some solutions. Maa' salaam.

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Muslims In Nigeria; Solutions Needed Please by Jarus(m): 12:56pm On Oct 21, 2012
AbuHanifa: Salam alaik,

should

Ma Salam

Space reserved for my contribution. Busy now.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It Obligatory To Inform A Suitor Of A Possible Health Problem? / Causes Of Marital Discord & Their Solutions. / Commonest Errors Usually Made On Salaat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.