Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,425 members, 7,822,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

Insight: Murky Deals Cast Doubt Over Nigeria's Power Sell-off - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Insight: Murky Deals Cast Doubt Over Nigeria's Power Sell-off (835 Views)

Godwin Emefiele Tells Buhari To Sell Off Nigeria's Oil Stakes / Can Igbos Survive The Murky Waters Of Nigerian Politics? / Eddie Onuzuruike: The Faceless Save Abia Group And Their Murky Plots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Insight: Murky Deals Cast Doubt Over Nigeria's Power Sell-off by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 21, 2012
ABUJA (Reuters)

For decades Nigeria has failed to fix chronic electricity shortages that stifle growth and help keep millions in poverty.

That is about change, the government says, when most of the power sector is privatized by the end of the year. Its target is to increase electricity output tenfold to 40,000 megawatts by 2020.

Turning on the lights in a country where power cuts are a daily ordeal could push Nigeria's growth into double digits and help diversify its economy away from oil, which in 50 years has created a super-rich elite but has done little to reduce mass poverty.

Yet since power minister Barth Nnaji resigned in August over an alleged conflict of interest, doubts are gathering about the integrity of the process, as oligarchs with scant experience in running power firms line up for a slice of this lucrative pie.

As with Russia in its 1992-1994 sell off of state assets, it is entrenched political and business elites who look set to win much of Nigeria's power sector, even while Western aid agencies are backing the process with tens of millions of dollars.

The government announced preferred bidders for 10 power distribution firms this week and has approved bids for five power plants, a major step forward. But already the companies who lost out and labor unions have said the process was fraudulent and the results to be scrapped.

The wealthy figures behind the consortia bidding already control vast stakes in Nigeria's economy and political machine, and many of the assets only had one approved bidder each. It is often felt that since the oligarchs have such sway in Nigeria, it is better to have them in the process rather than outside it.

In past Nigerian privatization efforts, unqualified bidders and political wrangling caused years of legal battles and delays after assets were awarded. Sometimes funds were diverted to people who failed to revive the firms and left debts unpaid.

Nigeria tried to sell former telephone monopoly NITEL for more than 10 years but buyers who won privatization bids never paid up. After years of legal rows, it remains in state hands.

The stakes are higher for power.

"For a sector being primed for the most comprehensive overhaul in its history, it was perhaps expected that entrenched forces of the ancient regime would not let go without a fight," Nigerian policy analyst Sanya Oni said.

"It is ... the beginning of the long, difficult road."
Re: Insight: Murky Deals Cast Doubt Over Nigeria's Power Sell-off by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 21, 2012
POWER GODFATHERS

Despite holding the world's seventh largest gas reserves, Nigeria produces less than a tenth of the amount electricity South Africa provides for a population a third of the size.

Some $40 billion has gone into reforms in the last 20 years, says Control Risks, a consultancy, yet power has only improved slightly.

Sorting out this mess would seal President Goodluck Jonathan's legacy.

The Power Holding Company of Nigeria is being sold as six generation firms and 11 distribution companies. A contract for transmission has been given to Canadian firm Manitoba Hydro.

Among the figures angling for a slice of privatized power is billionaire businessman Emeka Offor. His company Chrome Group is the highest bidder for firms in the capital Abuja and Enugu.

Offor made his fortune from government contracts, especially under military dictator Sani Abacha in 1990s.

Between 1999 and 2002, Chrome Group worked on a $100 million contract for maintenance on Nigeria's Port Harcourt oil refineries, in Africa's biggest oil industry. They have operated at just 30 percent capacity since, and the state oil firm has said the work was not done properly.

"The turnaround maintenance was successfully completed and duly handed over to Port Harcourt Refining Company," Chrome Group spokeswoman Val Oji wrote in an email, with the relevant completion certificates attached, when asked about it.

Global Witness, a UK-based watchdog, investigated Offor's Seychelles-registered oil firm Starcrest in February. It said it won an oil block in 2006, then within months signed Swiss firm Addax on as 'technical partner' for a $35 million fee.

That deal left Starcrest with a big minority stake, and Addax, the firm with the expertise to produce the oil, paid a $55 million signature bonus. Offor told the NGO that Nigeria's financial crimes commission had cleared Starcrest of wrongdoing.

The deal resembles arrangements common in Nigeria, in which a company run by a local oligarch 'partners' with a foreign firm with the know how, and takes a cut.

Industry sources say power privatization is going on in the same way, which will make it slow and costly, even if it does finally turn the lights on.

Oji cited two transmission lines completed in the northern state of Gombe in 2010 as evidence Chrome had relevant experience.
Re: Insight: Murky Deals Cast Doubt Over Nigeria's Power Sell-off by Nobody: 6:07pm On Oct 21, 2012
OTHER PLAYERS

Another powerful figure lining up is General Abdulsalami Abubakar, who was military ruler for a year after Abacha's death in 1998. He chairs Integrated Energy, which has the preferred bid for electricity distribution companies in Yola, Ibadan and the two covering the commercial capital Lagos.

Local press have reported that former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida, one of the most powerful 'godfathers', is putting his weight behind the North South Power Company, the only consortium approved to bid on the Shiroro plant.

A spokesman for Babangida, Kassim Afegbua, however denied that he was "involved in any power company at all".

Bola Tinubu, former Lagos governor of Lagos and undisputed godfather of Nigeria's commercial hub, is backing Oando's bid for a distribution company servicing the south, including Lagos. Oando, run by his nephew Wale, is an oil and gas company, but it has made small inroads into power.

It set up the Akute Power company to develop a 12.15 MW power station that now services a Lagos water plant.

Tony Elumelu's Transnational Corporation, which owns, amongst other things, The Hilton hotel in Abuja, is a preferred bidder for the Ugheli thermal power plant.

"None of these guys has much of a background in power. They can't do it alone. They need partners," said Bismarck Rewane, CEO of Lagos-based consultancy Financial Derivatives.

Some do have them. Yet globally respected power companies like AES, Essar and Schneider Electric who showed an initial interest in buying assets in 2010 decided not to join up with Nigerian partners and bid.

Others involved in bids, including Arumemi Johnson, the chairman of airline Arik Air, and billionaire oil magnate Femi Otedola, were banned last month by the central bank from borrowing money due to unpaid debts -- poor financing is a key risk to the long-term success of power projects, as the government estimates the industry needs $10 billion a year.

Otedola repaid his debt days after the ban was announced.

"In the history of privatization in this country, the common wealth has largely ended in the hands of senior government officials and their cronies and kin," wrote Mohammed Haruna in The Nation on Wednesday. "Unless the authorities ... guarantee integrity, their privatized offspring can only bring more pain."
Re: Insight: Murky Deals Cast Doubt Over Nigeria's Power Sell-off by Nobody: 6:08pm On Oct 21, 2012
"LACKING TRANSPARENCY"

U.S. and British aid agencies are overseeing this process.

Britain's Department for International Development (DFID) pays 200,000 pounds ($322,800) a year for some embedded consultants who also have strong political ties, a source who has worked on one of the power projects they fund said.

A DFID spokesman told Reuters they had helped to make the privatization "as transparent as possible". DFID has spent 21 million pounds since 2007 on the power sector. Since then, generation has risen by roughly 1,000 megawatts, according to Nigerian government data. Yet tens of thousands are needed.

"An independent review ... concluded that a substantial part of the increase in power supply would not have occurred without ... these expert advisers," the DFID spokesman said.

No new minister was appointed after Nnaji resigned on August 28 over allegations he was involved in Geometric, one of the firms bidding. DFID openly funded Nnaji's office throughout, even though it was public knowledge that he has a stake in Geometric.

"The irony for donors is that they stand accused of helping to fuel the very practices they aim to combat .... lending credibility to a process they should have known to (be) lacking in transparency," said Antony Goldman, head of PM consulting.

Nnaji was seen as a technically competent minister, but a power ministry source says he did not get on with Vice President Namadi Sambo, the man with the most influence over the sector.

Sambo is head of the National Council on Privatisation (NCP), which has the final say on which firms make it through the bidding process. He also manages the National Independent Power Projects, a state-run scheme to build ten power plants set up eight years ago that has swallowed up $20 billion of government funds but left only four plants producing power.

Sahelian Power, the sole approved bidder for a distribution firm serving northern Nigeria's main city of Kano, has close ties with Sambo, a northerner, a power ministry official said.

He also noted that the only distribution company judged by the body Sambo chairs to have had no technically qualified bidders was in Sambo's own home state.

Sambo did not respond to a request for comment. He has publicly said does not own any firms bidding.

Many Nigerians say there is still grounds for optimism.

A senior power sector official said it was "inevitable" that those with political backing would be behind the bids. "That's just Nigeria," he said, but he added: "If they are supported by technically capable companies then does it really matter?"

It may not matter in the case of, say, Abubakar. The retired general is no power expert but Integrated Energy has partnered up with the Philippines' largest power retailer Manila Electric on a series of bids for state assets.

If all bids can find competent foreign partners like this, the process could yet get the lights to work, analysts say.

These men with big bucks may also have been the only people willing to take on the financial risk at this stage, starting with a minimum bid bond of $2 million, said Kayode Akindele, partner at Lagos-based financial adviser 46 Parallels.

Besides, in Nigeria, where nothing happens without the oligarchs, getting them involved may be the easiest option.

"It helps to have powerful interests part of the process," Akindele said. "Rather than outside, working against it."

Source
Re: Insight: Murky Deals Cast Doubt Over Nigeria's Power Sell-off by Nobody: 6:32pm On Oct 21, 2012
Very incisive, excellent report. Look, we need to tell ourselves some home truths. The only way we can move forward is to make it profitable for the monied men to push the nation forward. And that's the way it's becoming. There's a growing realisation among that group that they can expand their already massive wealth by expanding the nation's economic and technological assets and profile.
Re: Insight: Murky Deals Cast Doubt Over Nigeria's Power Sell-off by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 21, 2012
@Rossike, your matter-of-fact view on the encroachment of a home-grown oligarchy ("money men") is both refreshing and disturbing.
Disturbing because it ignores the experience recorded in Russia, where there has been a concentration of political power and former state assets in the hands of a few.
Re: Insight: Murky Deals Cast Doubt Over Nigeria's Power Sell-off by ektbear: 7:03pm On Oct 21, 2012

As with Russia in its 1992-1994 sell off of state assets, it is entrenched political and business elites who look set to win much of Nigeria's power sector, even while Western aid agencies are backing the process with tens of millions of dollars.

this is pretty bad
Re: Insight: Murky Deals Cast Doubt Over Nigeria's Power Sell-off by Gbawe: 7:38pm On Oct 21, 2012
ekt_bear:

this is pretty bad

Indeed.... and highly definitive of the PDP. I.e sell off Nigeria's assets, critical to National success, to cronies and minions without even so much as a patriotic thought for securing competence along with the requisite and almost 'cultural' need, accepted in African politics, to enrich 'awon boys'.

In other African Nations, and I know this from experience, "awon boys' are increasingly becoming content making their money moderating greed with patriotism to the extent they are happy to limit their participation to 'midwifing' relatively safe aspect of critical concessioning while leaving the technical operation wholly to qualified and experienced operators. Vodafone in Ghana is an example I continue to cite.

Talks about the Ghanaian Government accepting millions of dollars to favour Vodafone won't go away but what is important is that Vodafone, certainly one of the world's top telecoms giants, was not cynically turned down for a front run by Jerry Rawlings or John Kuffour. Today this is all to the benefit of Ghana as vodafone has proven an able National carrier aiding Ghana's progress.

Creating an Oligarchy should not be an option for African Nation given our challenges that means we , more than most, must eschew redundant economic models of extreme capitalism , arguably discredited today, for greater institutional efficiency and accountability - even if it is others outside Africa who can help us achieve that.

We all know how critical the power sector is. Perhaps people now get what I mean when I predicted that "pseudo-privatisation" is what the PDP will deliver in many sectors. I still stand by my prediction that the usual Oligarchs (Otedola, Dangote et al) are future bid 'winners' whenever our Refineries will be privatised.
Re: Insight: Murky Deals Cast Doubt Over Nigeria's Power Sell-off by Kilode1: 7:48pm On Oct 21, 2012
eGuerrilla: @Rossike, your matter-of-fact view on the encroachment of a home-grown oligarchy ("money men"wink is both refreshing and disturbing.
Disturbing because it ignores the experience recorded in Russia, where there has been a concentration of political power and former state assets in the hands of a few.

I share your worry, but like I often say,  the biggest  ideological struggle in Nigeria is/will be between Radicals and Gradualists. May the gods put us on the right side of history.

Rossike's opinion is not an outlier, i've heard so many people express same in the last 4 years.  I believe this administration and their top advisers share that opinion too...

eGuerrilla, Your own opinion is very common also - the idea that we are strengthening a super-class elite that will answer to their own rules, even more than they already do now and by so doing bring our people more ruin, more economic oppression and concentrated poverty...

Those are just my interpretations, they may not be correct for you guys..

Those two positions will continue to shape Nigeria's political economy.

The quote below from Jeffery Winters, Northwestern professor of political science, aptly described why we must not let ourselves get carried away, why we must apply balance...

"Oligarchy rests on the concentration of material power. Democracy on the dispersion of non-material power"  - Winters

Quote edit*
Re: Insight: Murky Deals Cast Doubt Over Nigeria's Power Sell-off by Gbawe: 8:10pm On Oct 21, 2012
Kilode?!:

eGuerrilla, Your own opinion is very common also - the idea that we are strengthening a super-class elite that will answer to their own rules, even more than they already do now and by so doing bring our people more ruin, more economic oppression and concentrated poverty...

Precisely my opinion. Trying to justify the creation of ultra-wealthy Oligarchs by dressing greed in a toga of 'patriotism' is redundant for where the world is today and where it is heading ala global Village, fast shrinking borders, transfer of technology and greater ease of the competitive/profit-led movement of highly skilled and technical labour/enterprises. There are extremely critical sectors Nigerians must demand excellence in i.e power, refining derivative of crude, rail infrastructure et al. No distracting talk of "Nigeria in the hands of Nigerians" should blind us to what is obvious.

For example, I would not particularly favour Adenuga buying NITEL to become National carrier if he is up against British Telecoms or Vodafone because Nigerians communicating effectively and reliably , as an addition to the 'mix' that will make us great, is far more important than the intangible concept , only useful for chest-thumping, that a Nigerian Company is handling our telecoms needs.

We can even see how the extreme capitalistic greed of a few , currently playing out before our eyes, got the world in trouble in fairly well-regulated Nations. In Nigeria, with nil regulation, we want to sell the Nation into the hands of morally bankrupt AGIPs (any government in power) like Otedola?

If we learn from others proactively, we will be looking to ensure we put more power in the hands of businesses of excellence and sterling reputations as they will be unlikely to fail us. What should not be acceptable is for Otedola, Abdulsalami, IBB or any other members of the 'owners of Nigeria' club putting together a consortium yesterday, whenever there is a national 'sell-off' of any kind, that will begin 'winning' bids for critical concessions tomorrow. Even semi-ambitious Nations are not doing this any more !!!!

It makes me wonder if Nigeria is for real when this kind of nonsense is no longer even happening in Nations we talk/look down at. What happened in Russia will wreck us. No two ways about it in my opinion and I certainly hope I am wrong.
Re: Insight: Murky Deals Cast Doubt Over Nigeria's Power Sell-off by Nobody: 8:31pm On Oct 21, 2012
I was wondering were you lot hide these days. Seems other OND holders with very little meaningful contributions to make have taken over nairaland. Well to be frank, i'd come here to rubbish threads whenever i want to feel like a boy. When i want to teach and learn, i will stick with various high-level discussions on Facebook.

Seun it amazes me there are people actually advertising here still. Can't you perceive piss?
undecided
Re: Insight: Murky Deals Cast Doubt Over Nigeria's Power Sell-off by RickyRoss1(m): 9:13pm On Oct 21, 2012
Gbawe:

Indeed.... and highly definitive of the PDP. I.e sell off Nigeria's assets, critical to National success, to cronies and minions without even so much as a patriotic thought for securing competence along with the requisite and almost 'cultural' need, accepted in African politics, to enrich 'awon boys'.

In other African Nations, and I know this from experience, "awon boys' are increasingly becoming content making their money moderating greed with patriotism to the extent they are happy to limit their participation to 'midwifing' relatively safe aspect of critical concessioning while leaving the technical operation wholly to qualified and experienced operators. Vodafone in Ghana is an example I continue to cite.

Talks about the Ghanaian Government accepting millions of dollars to favour Vodafone won't go away but what is important is that Vodafone, certainly one of the world's top telecoms giants, was not cynically turned down for a front run by Jerry Rawlings or John Kuffour. Today this is all to the benefit of Ghana as vodafone has proven an able National carrier aiding Ghana's progress.

Creating an Oligarchy should not be an option for African Nation given our challenges that means we , more than most, must eschew redundant economic models of extreme capitalism , arguably discredited today, for greater institutional efficiency and accountability - even if it is others outside Africa who can help us achieve that.

We all know how critical the power sector is. Perhaps people now get what I mean when I predicted that "pseudo-privatisation" is what the PDP will deliver in many sectors. I still stand by my prediction that the usual Oligarchs (Otedola, Dangote et al) are future bid 'winners' whenever our Refineries will be privatised.

The vodaphone Ghana deal is a bad example my brother. Most Ghanians are sad that the government didn't listen to the voice of the majority of Ghanaians. Today Vodaphone has sacked hundreds of workers, vodaphone is still sacking workers every month. Ghana Telecom was better, tell me one single SPECTACULAR thing vodaphone has done which Ghana Telecom didn't do?

Vodapohne paid million dollar bribe to MP's etc to take over Ghana Telecom, today all profits they make is repatriated to The United Kingdom.
Re: Insight: Murky Deals Cast Doubt Over Nigeria's Power Sell-off by FrankC3: 9:37pm On Oct 21, 2012
While I have my fears about raising oligarchy that will have the capacity to stifle us, I still believe that unless we want to throw away fairness from this process, these guys will still meet the requirements to win any big deal in Nigeria. Look at Emeka Offor and Gen Abubakar's business strategy, they engaged the big names as technical partners for these deals and the process allows this. Do we want to change the rules? Is it not better to have foreign companies with substantial Nigerian interests in our shores? Would it not have been better if a deal allowed the Abachas to be part owners of MTN, at least some of the funds presently hauled to SA will still be within our shores. This is reality...

While we take up our position to push against oligarchies, we should not lose sight of the fact that almost all businesses have strong political backing, including Apple and Microsoft, Chevron and Shell. They can be local or foreign, that is the only difference. Which do we prefer? Foreign or local oligarchies? And what is our opinion about repatriation of stole wealth? Nobody today can imprison Gen Abubakar, even the West see him as a noble. How can you imprison him and return the wealth he allegedly stole and starched away in offshore accounts if not through processes like this? Fact is that the legal perspective is tedious, difficult, costly and highly inefficient. Ibori's loot is case study. We just have to, as a matter of National policy, design a framework that will easily encourage our own Dick Cheneys to use their wealth (whether stolen or acquired by government patronage) to create value within our bothers. I am not saying that we should encourage corrupt leaders, but emotions apart, what are our chances of legally getting back the stolen wealth?

I think we should take a robust look at this issue at intellectual level, while maintaining patriotic disposition. Every society have their super-elite. Countries like Cote d'Ivoire and Gabon may have them as French Nationals and in most cases, super-elite are corrupt. Which do we prefer as Nigerians? Is it really fair to come up with a privatization framework that will hand over our national assets to foreigners without substantial local interests? Would it have been fairer if Oando Consortium had won the bid? Can the 'upright masses' buy Discos? Do you think that Nigeria can execute a successful privatization process if our own super-elites are sidelined (as with NITEL) or foreign super-elites favored?

I think the process have been substantially fair, going by the rule of the game. I also think that any disagreement with the process should be at the level of the privatization philosophy of Nigeria. It happens that nobody asked these questions until some persons (both local and foreign interests) lost out in the bids. Now, as with the fuel subsidy protests, is this really about Nigeria or individuals who think that they will lose out in the new order?
Re: Insight: Murky Deals Cast Doubt Over Nigeria's Power Sell-off by Gbawe: 9:44pm On Oct 21, 2012
Ricky_Ross:

The vodaphone Ghana deal is a bad example my brother. Most Ghanians are sad that the government didn't listen to the voice of the majority of Ghanaians.

When do Ghanaians not complain, over-dramatise and make a big thing of everything? Is this not how, according to some melodramatic Ghanaians, 9 out of 10 robbers in their Nation are Nigerian? Sometimes, perhaps it is best for outsiders to give them an insight regarding what they don't see. Ghanaians complain, others come in and 'crack on'.

I am someone who believes personal experience is very powerful to inform and 'calibrate' opinions. I have a House in Accra and my experience with Vodafone was very good. From demanding services to actually being connected. My wired telephone and broadband delivery are good and efficient. Technical assistance, when I had problems, was fairly prompt to respond and restore my services. That is what should matter. If other Ghanaians have similar experiences, then it is obvious that, beyond their complaints, the Country is communicating better because of Vodafone's efforts.

Today Vodaphone has sacked hundreds of workers, vodaphone is still sacking workers every month. Ghana Telecom was better, tell me one single SPECTACULAR thing vodaphone has done which Ghana Telecom didn't do?

My guy, many African Government parastatals are havens of nepotism, ghost workers and bloated inefficiency. Most Companies will actually 'trim' waste almost automatically if taking over and looking to be optimally efficient. Look at our NITEL, PHCN et al. Anyway, there will always be unhappy folks on every side of actions taken. If sacking folks aids legitimate cost-cutting, efficiency and productivity then I cannot just criticise that action for nothing other than how retrenching is generally perceived as condemnable and automatically bad. Let us not forget also that global conditions currently predisposes many to embrace "cost cutting".

Vodapohne paid million dollar bribe to MP's etc to take over Ghana Telecom, today all profits they make is repatriated to The United Kingdom.

I have already mentioned that there was controversy over Vodafone allegedly paying millions in bribe. The repatriation of profit is rather a complex issue in this day and age of global competitiveness. The argument can also apply to the many Nigerian businesses operating in Ghana.

My brother, it is certain not everyone will be happy with Vodafones takeover of telecoms services in Ghana. I hinted at this when I said some will not move beyond the rhetoric of "Ghanaians running Ghana". To be honest, this is not a bad thing when non-critical sectors is considered. When looking at the telecom sector, the Government may just feel running Ghana Telecom has become an issue of pride rather than that of economic sense, efficiency and the success Ghana wants for the future. The Story was the same with Ghana Air to the extent flyers , towards the horrid end, were being escorted off planes in the UK by armed escorts because of the massive debt the National airline had run up !!!!

I generally give things pass marks when they work well for the purposes they were designed for. Side issues aside, since those are open to subjective interpretation, I think Vodafone is more efficient and doing better than Ghana Telecom.
Re: Insight: Murky Deals Cast Doubt Over Nigeria's Power Sell-off by redsun(m): 9:54pm On Oct 21, 2012
Isn't obvious that it is another scam,just like they shared our oil wells among themselves?What has nigerians benefitted from that apart from chaos,scarcity,poverty and misery as always?

As long as nigeria remains in the hands of untouchable and undemocratic criminals called leaders,nothing will ever be right.

(1) (Reply)

Who In The Aṇṇals Of Nigeria's History Is Your HERO? / . / SSS Arrests 2 Journalists After Army Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.