Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,102 members, 7,828,851 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:10 PM

Soyinka Breaks Silence, Says BIAFRA (igbos) SUFFERED GENOCIDE During Civil War! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Breaks Silence, Says BIAFRA (igbos) SUFFERED GENOCIDE During Civil War! (1287 Views)

Breaking News!!! 2 Dead As Rivers Indigenes And Pro Biafra Igbos Clash / Biafra: Igbos Una Don Come Again. / Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka Breaks Silence, Says BIAFRA (igbos) SUFFERED GENOCIDE During Civil War! by frankzone: 9:39am On Oct 22, 2012
For weeks, many people have wondered where Nobel Laureate Prof. Wole Soyinka stands on the accusation of genocide against Igbos by the Nigerian Government during the 1967-70 civil war leveled by Prof. Chinua Achebe in his war memoir, There Was A Country.

Well, Soyinka (shown in photo) has finally spoken his mind and, interestingly, he agrees with Achebe that Biafrans, the bulk of whom were Igbos, were victims of genocide during the war. 

In an interview he granted Britain’s authoritative Telegraph, the Nobel Prize winner described Biafrans as “people who’d been abused, who’d undergone genocide, and who felt completely rejected by the rest of the community, and therefore decided to break away and form a nation of its own.”

In the interview published last Friday, the interviewer Peter Godwin asked: “Professor Soyinka, you’re not an ivory-tower kind of writer. You are not a stranger to danger, and in fact you’ve been imprisoned on at least two occasions, once in solitary confinement. Can you tell me what that was like?”

Soyinka’s reply: “Writing in certain environments carries with it an occupational risk. When I was imprisoned, without trial, it was as a result of a position I took as a citizen. Of course I used my weapon, which was writing, to express my disapproval of the (Biafran) civil war into which we were about to enter. These were people who’d been abused, who’d undergone genocide, and who felt completely rejected by the rest of the community, and therefore decided to break away and form a nation of its own. Unfortunately, the nature of my imprisonment meant that I couldn’t practise my trade because I was in solitary confinement for 22 months out of the 27, and I was deprived of writing material. So I had to somehow break through the barriers, smuggle in toilet paper, cigarette paper, scribble a few poems, pass messages outside. I was able to undertake exercises to make sure that I emerged from prison intact mentally.”

The interview, which centred of Soyinka’s speech delivered last week at the Hay Festival in Mexico, was entitled “If religion was taken away I’d be happy”. In it, Soyinka condemned religious militancy and declared that now is the time to tackle Boko Haram, the Islamic militants who have been fomenting trouble in Nigeria.

News Express recalls that Prof. Achebe in his war memoirs subtitled ‘A Personal History of Biafra’ accused wartime Head of State Gen. Yakubu Gown and his Vice-Chairman and Finance Minister, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, of carrying out genocide against Igbos. The claim has been generating a lot of controversy, with many Yoruba commentators accusing Achebe of twisting history.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Breaks Silence, Says BIAFRA (igbos) SUFFERED GENOCIDE During Civil War! by frankzone: 9:41am On Oct 22, 2012
Knew it's gonna be just a matter of time!
Re: Soyinka Breaks Silence, Says BIAFRA (igbos) SUFFERED GENOCIDE During Civil War! by tman4real21(m): 3:10pm On Jun 27, 2015
I wonder why pple didnt comment here. Are they afraid of da truth?
Re: Soyinka Breaks Silence, Says BIAFRA (igbos) SUFFERED GENOCIDE During Civil War! by tman4real21(m): 3:16pm On Jun 27, 2015
there ar over 500 views on ds topic. OP i hope u didnt wipe away pple's comments in ds regard. No matter what, da truth wil stand. Biafra freedom is here.
Re: Soyinka Breaks Silence, Says BIAFRA (igbos) SUFFERED GENOCIDE During Civil War! by mekaboy(m): 3:17pm On Jun 27, 2015
Ok now so what do u want to gain from this? You want to cry about the war and have people path you on the back and say sorry or what?

Bikonu put the war behind and move on. The jews were killed by Hitler. They r not crying today, rather they have become stronger.

Ndigbo, the memory of the war should unit us and make us stronger and strategically contribute more to the economy of this nation and become more relevant.

Instead of crying everyday online over biafra. How many of your igbo beothers and sisters have you helped since after the war.

Biko umu igbo, stop disgracing us with this biafran war rant online.

Igbos are creative, hardworking and independent. This biafran message is all about hate and makes us have the victim mentality. Limiting our creativity .

Rapunu ihe tara na abani ka obulu anwu nta.
Re: Soyinka Breaks Silence, Says BIAFRA (igbos) SUFFERED GENOCIDE During Civil War! by seniorklop: 3:20pm On Jun 27, 2015
A SOURCE could have given the topic more credibility.
Re: Soyinka Breaks Silence, Says BIAFRA (igbos) SUFFERED GENOCIDE During Civil War! by bolabolakemi(f): 3:20pm On Jun 27, 2015
cry
Re: Soyinka Breaks Silence, Says BIAFRA (igbos) SUFFERED GENOCIDE During Civil War! by bolabolakemi(f): 3:22pm On Jun 27, 2015
mekaboy:
Ok now so what do u want to gain from this? You want to cry about the war and have people path you on the back and say sorry or what?

Bikonu put the war behind and move on. The jews were killed by Hitler. They r not crying today, rather they have become stronger.

Ndigbo, the memory of the war should unit us and make us stronger and strategically contribute more to the economy of this nation and become more relevant.

Instead of crying everyday online over biafra. How many of your igbo beothers and sisters have you helped since after the war.

Biko umu igbo, stop disgracing us with this biafran war rant online.

Igbos are creative, hardworking and independent. This biafran message is all about hate and makes us have the victim mentality. Limiting our creativity .

Rapunu ihe tara na abani ka obulu anwu nta.

The Jews are in their country. Is Biafrans in theirs ?
Re: Soyinka Breaks Silence, Says BIAFRA (igbos) SUFFERED GENOCIDE During Civil War! by paparazy09(m): 3:28pm On Jun 27, 2015
They are taking a shot at it again.Nobody will caution the Radio Biafra spewing hate through the waves now.When the state will rise to crush whatever is brewing there now.....they will scream genocide!
Re: Soyinka Breaks Silence, Says BIAFRA (igbos) SUFFERED GENOCIDE During Civil War! by mekaboy(m): 3:31pm On Jun 27, 2015
bolabolakemi:

The Jews are in their country. Is Biafrans in theirs ?
Show me where biafran country was located.
Re: Soyinka Breaks Silence, Says BIAFRA (igbos) SUFFERED GENOCIDE During Civil War! by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jun 27, 2015
Yes the Biafrans suffered genocide during the civil war, and the Biafran soldiers were just smiling sheepishly while handing vanilla ice-cream cones to the Nigerian troops.

Soyinka, if you don't have anything reasonable to say; shut the f.uck up & let PMB concentrate.

All is fair in Luv & War!

(1) (Reply)

Six (6) Things Apc Governors Achieved By Going To Maiduguri / ABA: A Failed City / Will Nigeria Ever Become A Developed Country?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.