Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,489 members, 7,819,778 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips (8527 Views)

Jang Plans World-class Hospital To Check Foreign Medical Trips / US Doctors Set To Stop Nigerian Leaders From Foreign Medical Trips / FG To Bar Officials From Foreign Medical Trips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 23, 2012
The search for better medical healthcare abroad by Nigerians particularly political office holders is said to be costing the nation over $500 million annually, even as a traveller on the average is said to be spending between $20-$40,000 on a trip.

Similarly, about 5,000 Nigerians are said to visit India and other countries in Europe and America every month in search of medical care even for medical conditions that can be satisfactorily managed in the country.

President of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), Dr. Osahon Enabulele, who disclosed this Monday at the commencement of the 2012 Physicians Week in Abuja, alluded the development to the deplorable situation of the health sector, which he said like any other sector, had suffered from years of systemic decay occasioned by lack of political commitment and mismanagement of the nation’s wealth.

Speaking on one of the sub-themes of this year’s celebration, “Medical Tourism and Investment Options in Nigeria’s Healthcare Sector – The Role of NMA and Other Stakeholders”, Enabulele argued that the poor confidence in Nigeria’s health system had led to poor investment in the sector with many Nigerians travelling outside the shores of the country in search of medical care.

He said for a country to be destination for medical tourism, it must substantially have a healthcare system that meets the satisfaction and expectation of her citizens and foreigners alike. He disclosed that India earned over $260 million from medical tourism from Nigeria alone, adding that it had been projected that in 2012 India would realise between $1 and $2 billion from a medical tourism market worth over $20 billion.

While calling for greater political commitment by governments at all levels, so that Nigeria can begin to tap into the lucrative business of Medical Tourism, Enabulele said: “Indeed, the NMA is convinced that if President Goodluck Jonathan, Vice-President Namadi Sambo, Senator David Mark, and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Aminu Tambuwal and other political office holders, make it a point of duty to stand on the same queue with ordinary Nigerians to seek medical care and conduct health checks in public hospitals in Nigeria, the confidence of ordinary Nigerians and foreigners in health care system will be re-ignited and bolstered.”

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nma-nigeria-losses-500m-annually-to-foreign-medical-trips/128462/
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Nobody: 10:44am On Oct 23, 2012
Government will continue to pay little or no attention to the state of our health sector until they are required BY LAW to visit only hospitals in the country. Where a public official chooses to travel abroad for treatment, (s)he should be made to pay for it from his/her pocket.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Afam4eva(m): 10:48am On Oct 23, 2012
What does it take for these people to fix our hospitals to be up to standard so that our rulers will not shamefully be traveling abroad for very minute ailments. This is embarrassing.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Nobody: 11:28am On Oct 23, 2012
Embarrassing, I tell you. Meanwhile our mama the Dame just returned from Germany. We will never know how much was spent on the presidential jet that took her to and fro, the cost of maintaining her and her entourage, the medical bills, the hotel bills etc. ALL WITH PUBLIC FUNDS. But we're expected to do thanksgiving because she returned "safe and sound".

Naija I hail.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Freiburger(m): 12:24pm On Oct 23, 2012
Is there anything that stops them from equipting their own hospitals?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by chucky234(m): 12:33pm On Oct 23, 2012
Squandering public funds that would have been channeled into equipping our decaying medical facilities,politicians are animals and heartless beings.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by fatstan1: 12:34pm On Oct 23, 2012
How can they equip or improve the facilities here when flying abroad for medical check-up is the first bullshit they pull out their ass when arrested for embezzlement. Let's not forget that Governor who built two hospitals in S.Africa without so much as building a health center in his village.
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Horus(m): 12:34pm On Oct 23, 2012
With $500m you can build high quality standards hospitals in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Dee60: 12:34pm On Oct 23, 2012
HNosegbe: Embarrassing, I tell you. Meanwhile our mama the Dame just returned from Germany. We will never know how much was spent on the presidential jet that took her to and fro, the cost of maintaining her and her entourage, the medical bills, the hotel bills etc. ALL WITH PUBLIC FUNDS. But we're expected to do thanksgiving because she returned "safe and sound".

Naija I hail.

I imagine that the cost of her treatment + Hotels + Flights + over that period will be enough to build and equip 2 modern hospitals or 10 primary health centres in LGs. We are a nation that is yet to decide the future it desires.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Nobody: 12:35pm On Oct 23, 2012
What do u expect when dem own paracetamol na 'calvin klein' branded? sad
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by pendusky(m): 12:37pm On Oct 23, 2012
choi! That a gud amount to set up a good hospital
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by adora4u1: 12:37pm On Oct 23, 2012
Tell that to Patience Jonathan!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Nobody: 12:38pm On Oct 23, 2012
So who is too be blamed? If Dame Patience Jonathan could travel to Germany for ordinary food poison,why won't my Mother travel to US for ordinary malaria? undecided
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by pendusky(m): 12:39pm On Oct 23, 2012
adora4u1: Tell that to Patience Jonathan!
What do you mean?
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by fittty(m): 12:40pm On Oct 23, 2012
cry
Why this topic at this moment when I just got a call that my sister's brother-in-law will have to have his leg amputated due to the doctors negligence..... Imagine they left a bullet in his leg for close to 2days, after he got robbed and shot in his leg in front of a bank by an armed robber. He had a police report.... USELESS SET OF PEOPLE WE GRADUATE AS MEDICAL DOCTORS THESE IN THIS COUNTRY#
angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by sunkoye: 12:44pm On Oct 23, 2012
wen the wife of a politician raced to foreign hospital for 2 month bed rest on taxpayer's money.....isnt dat criminal?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by killuminati(m): 12:50pm On Oct 23, 2012
pendusky:
What do you mean?
so you mean you dnt knw shocked
Dat means say u no dey for naija be dat Oo. Anyway, she just came frm a german hospital for an ordinary abortion undecided
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by killuminati(m): 12:53pm On Oct 23, 2012
fittty: cry
Why this topic at this moment when I just got a call that my sister's brother-in-law will have to have his leg amputated due to the doctors negligence..... Imagine they left a bullet in his leg for close to 2days, after he got robbed and shot in his leg in front of a bank by an armed robber. He had a police report.... USELESS SET OF PEOPLE WE GRADUATE AS MEDICAL DOCTORS THESE IN THIS COUNTRY#
angry
dame! Imagine! Sorry dat bro, and ur brother wish him quick recovery sad
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by chinnyonwu(m): 12:53pm On Oct 23, 2012
When we start hearing that Nigerian politicians are treated here in the country, then we MIGHT start changing our minds.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Remii(m): 12:58pm On Oct 23, 2012
We spend 10 times more on education abroad. When politicians spend 75% of our resources on themselves as salaries and allowances, this trend will continue.
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by ABJay1: 1:02pm On Oct 23, 2012
HNosegbe: Government will continue to pay little or no attention to the state of our health sector until they are required BY LAW to visit only hospitals in the country. Where a public official chooses to travel abroad for treatment, (s)he should be made to pay for it from his/her pocket.

GBAM!! grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Freiburger(m): 1:06pm On Oct 23, 2012
Horus: With $500m you can build high quality standards hospitals in Nigeria.
You think their brain will work towards that direction? an average Nigerian politician is always ready to pay anthing for whatever quality of service as long as his fellow Nigerian man cant afford it.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Krucifax(m): 1:10pm On Oct 23, 2012
Medical tourism is practised all over the world. The truth about medical tourism is that it’s driven not just by a perception of better medical facilities and health care provision but in many cases by cost and government legislation.

For affluent (middle-upper class) Nigerians travel for complex medical conditions make sense, whilst it may cost more, you are almost guaranteed better medical treatment and follow on care. NEPA(PHCN) will not strike and cut off your oxygen or dialysis machine. And your medication has no chance of containing chalk instead of what the original manufacturer intended.

Medical tourism is not only practiced in Nigeria, many affluent North Americans and Western Europeans also travel to places like Cuba, India, Thailand, Singapore for cheaper treatment on complex medical cases that would have cost a fortune in their country or that their governments would not allow.

An example I pulled off the web = Liver transplant cost USD $300,000 from private hospitals in America. The same Liver transplant would cost USD $91,000 in Taiwan. And the medical facilities in Taiwan are World class too. It’s a simple choice if you have the bad luck of needing the transplant but good luck of having the money.

HNosegbe:

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nma-nigeria-losses-500m-annually-to-foreign-medical-trips/128462/
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by gudnex22(m): 1:10pm On Oct 23, 2012
how does it affect me?
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Nobody: 1:10pm On Oct 23, 2012
The same 500 million can be used to fix the hospitals and bring them up to standard. Naija, which way naw?
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by AjanleKoko: 1:16pm On Oct 23, 2012
Technically you cannot say Nigeria is losing the money.
Unless there was a budgeted line item that says 'Expenditure/OPEX for foreign medical treatment', there is really no loss.
I'm sure one way or the other, taxpayers are paying for it. But unless there is legislation prohibiting it, it cannot be regarded as a loss per se. It's just part of the costs of maintaining government officials.

I wonder why some Indian Megaclinics are not seizing the opportunity to invest in specialized health clinics in Nigeria. All of a sudden, world-class spas and beauty treatment clinics are opening in Nigeria. Obviously they've spotted an opportunity there.
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by LadyWinona: 1:16pm On Oct 23, 2012
Freiburger:
You think their brain will work towards that direction? an average Nigerian politician is always ready to pay anthing for whatever quality of service as long as his fellow Nigerian man cant afford it.
I totally agree and if we cld tell ourselves the truth, an average person will pay anything for whatever quality of service as long as it's not MADE IN NIGERIA. It tells in the choice of clothes we wear, our gadgets, cars etc so why not ur LIFE! We need to change our mentality. Funny enough, as I was typing this, it dawned on me that I may have talked too soon considering that 90 percent of my patients all take locally made herbal drugs and only present when complications set in. These are people who are enlightened enough with good educational backgrounds. Oh well, I give up, too many controversies. U can all pretend I was never here.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by ayee001: 1:17pm On Oct 23, 2012
Why can't the money bags built and invest heavily in hospitals here. There will be patronage. That may have multi million dollars turnover.
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by collins123(m): 1:26pm On Oct 23, 2012
And someone will still say e go better! Thunder fire you wherever you are.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Gbawe: 1:34pm On Oct 23, 2012
HNosegbe: Government will continue to pay little or no attention to the state of our health sector until they are required BY LAW to visit only hospitals in the country. Where a public official chooses to travel abroad for treatment, (s)he should be made to pay for it from his/her pocket.

Such a law will not be made because it patently infringes on the fundamental human rights of some merely because of their Job i.e Politician. That is discrimination. We will get what we want when the average Nigerian becomes politically sophisticated enough to insist on effective leadership. The Majority must understand fully that they must refuse to put up with the nauseating excesses of our leaders that makes it impossible for any sector to work well in Nigeria.

Look at the bloated cost of running Governance i.e recurrent expenditure at 72%. Do we need so many Senators, Reps and duplicated positions ,like ministers of State et al, constituting a bloated and ineffective democracy robbing crucial sectors of funds? No is the answer. Who will reduce this waste so that more is available to spend on health, pay medical staff, policemen etc? Certainly not those benefiting from the largesse. It is up to average Nigerians. As long as we are happy to only complain yet never act, nothing will change.

When we realize we are the bosses of these politicians we will make non-negotiable demands on them ,in specific ways, they will not even contemplate saying "No" to because the consequences for them will be dire since we have the numbers. As it is, Nigerians don't understand the concept of 'people power' and are not united either. Sadly, in the absence of the majority rising up to its duty of holding leaders accountable, it is a-looter continua because there is no pressure on our leaders to change their ways. There is no consequence for Ministers owning 6 cars, enjoying stupendous perks and receiving large estacode for foreign trip while Nigerian children die of curable diseases.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Nobody: 1:51pm On Oct 23, 2012
Valid points Gbawe. The unfortunate fact is that the change of mindset necessary for what you have advocated to happen cannot occur overnight: Entrenching a culture of accountability will take a long time. In the meantime, this "legalized looting" is likely to continue.

Sad.
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Taiwo20(m): 2:01pm On Oct 23, 2012
Does that mean that we are a sick country?

(1) (2) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For November 18 2020 In Nigeria / How Do I Stop My Sister From Lesbianism / ESUT-TH: Parklane Enugu Striking Resident Doctors Face Contempt Charge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.