Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,139 members, 7,818,431 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips (8524 Views)

Jang Plans World-class Hospital To Check Foreign Medical Trips / US Doctors Set To Stop Nigerian Leaders From Foreign Medical Trips / FG To Bar Officials From Foreign Medical Trips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Nobody: 2:05pm On Oct 23, 2012
Gbawe:

Such a law will not be made because it patently infringes on the fundamental human rights of some merely because of their Job i.e Politician. That is discrimination.

Wrong!

If you say that'll amount to "discrimination", what would barring public officials from operating Bank accounts in foreign countries amount to?
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 23, 2012
i dont blame them,our hospitals are callous and hard hearted,if you dont have money,you cant be treated,if you are shot,you will probably die and they wont care,if you are an accident victim,they wonnt treat you,unless they are sure you can pay your bills.
So i sont blame people for turning their noses at Nigerian Health care.Just dont be poor and sick in Nigeria,na death get u be that.Since Nigeria doesnt not owe us healthcare,why should i be loyal and give the hospitals my Money..
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by remmyton(f): 2:19pm On Oct 23, 2012
thats a good step, but some of our doctors pay their way through the university, some are being forced to study that, for a good hospital to exist, good doctors are needed, so that both the rich and poor can benefit, IMO ooo
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by EmmaTay(m): 2:23pm On Oct 23, 2012
[size=35pt]We've got too much money,that's why our leaders and citizens have decided to embark on white elephant projects. Their eyes will open when we start to owe the other countries money. GO ON,WE SHALL SEE [/size]
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by MurphyT1: 2:56pm On Oct 23, 2012
not new, even if the govt tries to fix the hospitals in nig, the stupendous wealthy politicians will stl prefer going outside d country to show hw capable d r to afford foreign treatment...however govt need to pay more attention to our health facilities.
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Godogwu: 3:00pm On Oct 23, 2012
chucky234: Squandering public funds that would have been channeled into equipping our decaying medical facilities,politicians are animals and heartless beings.
what public funds are you talking about
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 23, 2012
afam4eva: What does it take for these people to fix our hospitals to be up to standard so that our rulers will not shamefully be traveling abroad for very minute ailments. This is embarrassing.
We are light years behind
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Nobody: 3:09pm On Oct 23, 2012
ehie: i dont blame them,our hospitals are callous and hard hearted,if you dont have money,you cant be treated,if you are shot,you will probably die and they wont care,if you are an accident victim,they wonnt treat you,unless they are sure you can pay your bills.
So i sont blame people for turning their noses at Nigerian Health care.Just dont be poor and sick in Nigeria,na death get u be that.Since Nigeria doesnt not owe us healthcare,why should i be loyal and give the hospitals my Money..

Try going to the USA and india when shot without money and see if you'll be attended to

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Venchy: 3:30pm On Oct 23, 2012
Lol....una never hear ween, who no know go know when the time comes.

This is all NIGERIAN'S FAULT until we criticise our leaders and protest about their FOREIGN MEDICAL TREATMENT before there can be any changes or stop all the foreign medical treatment.

I'm sorry to say this, Nigerians life is worthless because we have careless PEOPLE IN GOVERNMENT.

NELSON MANDELA was treated without stepping out of SOUTH AFRICA but every Governor or Ministers are always outside Africa looking after themselves and ignoring the intelligent of NIGERIAN MEDICAL INTEGRITY.

Just of recent, Our president wife was in Germany for treatment, BUHARI, BABANGIDAS wife and many more were treated abroad because they have no idea THE IMPORTANCE OF HEALTH SERVICE.

Mr president also allocated ONLY 6%of the national budget to health service, how can you allocate such percentage for a country like NIGERIA with the population of over 150million, I don't blame him because he doesn't understand the importance of HEALTH .

UNTIL WE REALISE THAT NIGERIANS WILL HAVE TO STAND UP FOR THEMSELVES AS WELL AS STOPPING THEM FROM GOING ABROAD AND BE TREATED AT HOME TO SHOW THEY ARE THEIR FOR NIGERIANS NOT THEMSELVES AND THEIR FAMILIES.
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by eelvismd(m): 5:17pm On Oct 23, 2012
Gbawe:

Such a law will not be made because it patently infringes on the fundamental human rights of some merely because of their Job i.e Politician. That is discrimination. We will get what we want when the average Nigerian becomes politically sophisticated enough to insist on effective leadership. The Majority must understand fully that they must refuse to put up with the nauseating excesses of our leaders that makes it impossible for any sector to work well in Nigeria.

Look at the bloated cost of running Governance i.e recurrent expenditure at 72%. Do we need so many Senators, Reps and duplicated positions ,like ministers of State et al, constituting a bloated and ineffective democracy robbing crucial sectors of funds? No is the answer. Who will reduce this waste so that more is available to spend on health, pay medical staff, policemen etc? Certainly not those benefiting from the largesse. It is up to average Nigerians. As long as we are happy to only complain yet never act, nothing will change.

When we realize we are the bosses of these politicians we will make non-negotiable demands on them ,in specific ways, they will not even contemplate saying "No" to because the consequences for them will be dire since we have the numbers. As it is, Nigerians don't understand the concept of 'people power' and are not united either. Sadly, in the absence of the majority rising up to its duty of holding leaders accountable, it is a-looter continua because there is no pressure on our leaders to change their ways. There is no consequence for Ministers owning 6 cars, enjoying stupendous perks and receiving large estacode for foreign trip while Nigerian children die of curable diseases.

@ bolded and coloured:

Your use of fundamental human right is totally out of place because attaching conditions to certain positions does not translate to any infringement of fundamental human rights. As far as I am concerned, if you don't like the conditions attached to a given position, then forget about the position because it is not compulsory that you must occupy the position. It is as simple as that!

Nobody said you cannot travel overseas for medical treatment; what is being proposed is that if you want to occupy any political position in the country, then the condition is that you won't be allowed to travel overseas for treatment because that is the condition attached to the position. The choice as to whether you are still interested in the position or not, with the attached conditions fully spealt out, is yours to decide.

The public and private sectors have rules and regulations governing employment and positions, some of which we might not be comfortable with personally when seeking employment or when we are being redeployed. My question is do we normally ask them to change the conditions just because we feel it affects our rights when seeking employment? The answer is capital NO. What then makes political positions in Nigeria different, especially when we have irrational fellows as leaders?

My only concern is that these same irrational folks are the ones that can effect such change constitutionally and they wouldn't want to do that because they are irrational and have taken Nigerians forgranted without any consequence arising
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by tonym1(m): 5:28pm On Oct 23, 2012
It's not surprising when the government will not invest in our health care or hospitals. When u visit other countries u see how knowledgeable our Nigerians doctors are, they are expert in nearly all the fields and are well appreciated. Here they are not utilised properly, the infrastructure is poor,we have average equipments are poor facilities Too many fake drugs and deadly dieases not picked up early, until something is done by the federal government Nigerian's will contine to spend heavily abroad.
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Nobody: 6:07pm On Oct 23, 2012
How many quality hospitals could Nigeria have built by now with $500million per year ?

Nigerians, our lack of acton to go on to the streets for sustained protest against corruption, will destroy us.
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by jumpmasta(m): 6:42pm On Oct 23, 2012
fittty: cry
Why this topic at this moment when I just got a call that my sister's brother-in-law will have to have his leg amputated due to the doctors negligence..... Imagine they left a bullet in his leg for close to 2days, after he got robbed and shot in his leg in front of a bank by an armed robber. He had a police report.... USELESS SET OF PEOPLE WE GRADUATE AS MEDICAL DOCTORS THESE IN THIS COUNTRY#
angry
I can see you are more naive than a primary school child..you open your rubbish gutter of a mouth to abuse Drs ...i dont blame you..who knows where they took the man to...probably a traditional home or a herbalist before presenting to the hospital.You stand there and abuse people that are obviously better than you. I...d..iot
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Horus(m): 7:02pm On Oct 23, 2012
HNosegbe: Government will continue to pay little or no attention to the state of our health sector until they are required BY LAW to visit only hospitals in the country. Where a public official chooses to travel abroad for treatment, (s)he should be made to pay for it from his/her pocket.

I agree
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by 19naia(m): 7:17pm On Oct 23, 2012
"Nigerians lose lives by spending their money in nigeria for medical services" More important is the persons life than national patronage....My brother was born in nigeria with a treatable condition yet deadly if not treated in time and properly...My mom and pop both ran around the country for the best hospitals and doctors in Nigeria ,Ibadan and lagos...The final recommendation was to lagos best hospital and when they recieved the final word from there,the doctor identified the disease and the proceedure to operate it,but they said it could not be performed in nigeria..Finally after many months of searching nigeria for the remdy,my mom took my brother back to her home in USA and had the surgery done..unfortunately the surgery was a bit late and should have been done during the time they were searching nigeria for the remedy...My brother recovered but only after permanent brain damage had occured in Nigeria...He has never been able to use the left side of his body or walk in the 27 years o his life and he will not be able to....I CANNOT BLAME ANYONE FOR GOING FOR MEDICAL TREATMENT AWAY FROM HOME IF LIFE IS ON THE LINE AND THE FORIEGN PLACE HAS THE BEST RECORD ON REMEDY FOR THE ISSUE....LET NIGERIAN MEDICAL CARE RECORD COMPARISON TO OTHER COUNTRIES BE THE DETERMINING FACTOR FOR WHERE PEOPLE PUT THERE LIFEIN RISK AT....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by playmode(m): 11:05pm On Oct 23, 2012
Why are you people complaining?? When election time come ,you monkeys will still go ahead and vote for PDP. You can not continue to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result.Nigerians have the power to free themselves but like the typical Negroes which they are they will always vote for those wrong people.The IQ of the average Nigerian is below 50 so what can one expect.Even our so educated folks are unintelligent and corrupt.

I no longer feel for Nigerians who are suffering,they made their bed so they should lay on it.As long as they continue to take bribes and rig in the wrong leaders,i pray that their sufferings multiply.Hopefully the stupid voters will die of hunger thereby leaving the honest voters to choose the right leaders.
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by fittty(m): 12:29pm On Oct 24, 2012
jumpmasta:
I can see you are more naive than a primary school child..you open your rubbish gutter of a mouth to abuse Drs ...i dont blame you..who knows where they took the man to...probably a traditional home or a herbalist before presenting to the hospital.You stand there and abuse people that are obviously better than you. I...d..iot

God punish you!!
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Gbawe: 12:44pm On Oct 24, 2012
kingoflag:

Wrong!

If you say that'll amount to "discrimination", what would barring public officials from operating Bank accounts in foreign countries amount to?

It is obvious. In a very corrupt Nation, operating foreign accounts can be used to abet corruption. The considerations are similar to asking politicians to declare their assets. Those issues directly relate to tackling corruption.

Health is a matter of personal choice. You cannot tell people not to seek treament anywhere they want merely because they are politicians. If they are spending their own money, they should have freedom of choice pertaining to private things unrelated to their work.

Why , for example, should a Minister who is doing his job well and has nothing to do with the Health sector be barred from seeking treatment abroad? Meanwhile, telling him to declare his assets and not to operate foreign accounts are not things that infringe on his fundamental human rights.
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by Gbawe: 12:56pm On Oct 24, 2012
eelvismd:

@ bolded and coloured:

Your use of fundamental human right is totally out of place because attaching conditions to certain positions does not translate to any infringement of fundamental human rights. As far as I am concerned, if you don't like the conditions attached to a given position, then forget about the position because it is not compulsory that you must occupy the position. It is as simple as that!

Nobody said you cannot travel overseas for medical treatment; what is being proposed is that if you want to occupy any political position in the country, then the condition is that you won't be allowed to travel overseas for treatment because that is the condition attached to the position. The choice as to whether you are still interested in the position or not, with the attached conditions fully spealt out, is yours to decide.

The public and private sectors have rules and regulations governing employment and positions, some of which we might not be comfortable with personally when seeking employment or when we are being redeployed. My question is do we normally ask them to change the conditions just because we feel it affects our rights when seeking employment? The answer is capital NO. What then makes political positions in Nigeria different, especially when we have irrational fellows as leaders?

My only concern is that these same irrational folks are the ones that can effect such change constitutionally and they wouldn't want to do that because they are irrational and have taken Nigerians forgranted without any consequence arising

Too many love flogging 'dead horses' on this forum. How on earth can any law prevent a person, spending his money, from recieving treatment in any nation of his choice merely because he is a Politicians?

Why over-intellectualise simple things? What next? The children of politicians must be prevented from attending Private Schools because our education sector is failing?

Politicians be prevented from living in plush homes?

It does not work like that. You cannot impose blanket punishment on others in area where private choice of individuals must be allowed just because of their job !!! They are human beings and politicians. let us not forget that.

Instead of suggesting draconian laws that are dead on arrival, we the people should simply understand we are the bosses of thes Politicians !!!! We should insist insist , for example, that recurrent expenditure has no business running running at 72% considering how poor Nigerians are and how the the vast sum spent on politicians can turn around our health sector !! We should insist that bloated governance must go !!! We should initiate 'Arab revolotions' for every sector failing Nigeria. That is how we go about it.
Re: Nigeria Loses $500m Annually To Foreign Medical Trips by barrymoore: 2:18am On Oct 26, 2012
I went to visit a hospital in lagos and saw that 70% of the sick were HIV infected, then I started thinking, This horrible disease has been around for 30yrs, ravaging people, The doctor told me many foreign donors that used to give nigeria financial aid are withdrawing their aid , then I asked myself, whats the government doing, then I thought again, more painfully, what are our multi millionaire private jet owners who are Bishops, Men of God who smell of so much riches, how much have they contributed to help with the struggle to discover a cure for this silent killer??Its been 30 yrs coming...then I thought again, not less than 10 of the most expensive and high class universities in Nigeria are owned by these people, not to help the poor but to further take from the rich who are the only ones who can patronize......I dont know what to believe anymore...pls somebody tell me whats going on..

(1) (2) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For November 18 2020 In Nigeria / ESUT-TH: Parklane Enugu Striking Resident Doctors Face Contempt Charge / How Do I Stop My Sister From Lesbianism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.