Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,604 members, 7,820,160 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? (6453 Views)

Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car / When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? / What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by sooperrescue(m): 9:47pm On Oct 23, 2012
In Nigeria, we use unleaded Regular and many cars require this grade of fuel. But majority of the other cars requires a higher fuel, premium unleaded. What do you do if you are faced with this problem? Octane Booster is your best bet. Many people still believe that we use leaded fuel and there are many new cars that is programmed to work only on leaded fuel and they are being sold brand new in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by glassman: 5:37pm On Dec 31, 2012
Mr sooper, i read ur piece about unleaded regular fuel we use in nigeria & u mentiond mitsubishi, porsche as bein compliant wt our nigerian fuel.
Pls wot other cars use d above & d ones dt do not
thanxx
Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by sooperrescue(m): 11:38pm On Dec 31, 2012
The cars you mentioned are those cars that have been tropicalised by the manufacturers for Nigerian Market. All Toyota, Honda, Some Models of Mazda and Nissans use Regular Unleaded. Mercedes Benz from Vbooth uses Premium fuel, VW, Audi, BMW (whether sold by Coscharis or Imported) all use Premium Unleaded. Range Rover Series,Acura, Lexus and Infinity uses Premium and the end result of using regular fuel for these high compression engines is an engine that would be happy very dead than being on the road.

3 Likes

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by tochiz(m): 9:12pm On Mar 26, 2013
sooper rescue: The cars you mentioned are those cars that have been tropicalised by the manufacturers for Nigerian Market. All Toyota, Honda, Some Models of Mazda and Nissans use Regular Unleaded. Mercedes Benz from Vbooth uses Premium fuel, VW, Audi, BMW (whether sold by Coscharis or Imported) all use Premium Unleaded. Range Rover Series,Acura, Lexus and Infinity uses Premium and the end result of using regular fuel for these high compression engines is an engine that would be happy very dead than being on the road.

How do one now get the premium fuel cos I use a 2005 Mercedes Benz c240 tnx
Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:47am On Mar 28, 2013
sooper rescue: In Nigeria, we use unleaded Regular and many cars require this grade of fuel. But majority of the other cars requires a higher fuel, premium unleaded. What do you do if you are faced with this problem? Octane Booster is your best bet. Many people still believe that we use leaded fuel and there are many new cars that is programmed to work only on leaded fuel and they are being sold brand new in Nigeria.

you might misslead people

1st of all want is octane rate is the unleaded regular in nigeria the same with premium one

after knowing the octane rating in those fuel then we look in to what the manufacturer say per each car and model

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

1 Like

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by sooperrescue(m): 12:47pm On Mar 30, 2013
The PPMC and Standard Organisation of Nigeria has stated that Nigeria uses unleaded Regular Fuel and we dont have Premium fuel in the country. According to PPMC, any car that uses unleaded Regular is a Nigerian Spec. Remember when we used to buy fuel, you need a funnel to fill your tank. Now it is forgotten. Using regular unleaded on a car that requires Premium Unleaded is trouble. Porsche now boasts that their cars run on unleaded Regular better than the ones imported from the US which uses Premium fuel only. Read your manuals, if your cars require Premium, use Premium.
For your Mercedes, it uses Premium Fuel only or min.91. By now, you must have noticed that the drive is sluggish, you dont feel power when accelerating, your fuel economy is poor and there is carbon and sludge deposit building in your engine oil chamber and exhaust. Start using octane boosters. If you cant import it, contact us on nigeriaarc@hotmail.com and we shall let you know the procedures on how to enjoy your vehicle.

2 Likes

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by erico2k2(m): 9:49pm On Sep 10, 2016
sooperrescue:
The PPMC and Standard Organisation of Nigeria has stated that Nigeria uses unleaded Regular Fuel and we dont have Premium fuel in the country. According to PPMC, any car that uses unleaded Regular is a Nigerian Spec. Remember when we used to buy fuel, you need a funnel to fill your tank. Now it is forgotten. Using regular unleaded on a car that requires Premium Unleaded is trouble. Porsche now boasts that their cars run on unleaded Regular better than the ones imported from the US which uses Premium fuel only. Read your manuals, if your cars require Premium, use Premium.
For your Mercedes, it uses Premium Fuel only or min.91. By now, you must have noticed that the drive is sluggish, you dont feel power when accelerating, your fuel economy is poor and there is carbon and sludge deposit building in your engine oil chamber and exhaust. Start using octane boosters. If you cant import it, contact us on nigeriaarc@hotmail.com and we shall let you know the procedures on how to enjoy your vehicle.
This is very wrong, this info you are passing my friend is absolutely wrong. The premium fuel is for super cars.I have a brand new RRS as U know the fuel grade is Regular and not premium this is a £75K car.
There is non of these car you listed that has a premium Fuel requirement, if you are talking super cars then yes.but then what are the super cars we have in Nigeria?
ALl Porsche use Unleaded fuel unless its a hig performance spec. even the panorama uses Unleaded.

1 Like

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by sooperrescue(m): 8:20am On Sep 11, 2016
Unleaded premium fuel is what porsche, range rovers, mercedes benz, bmw, acura, vw, audi, lexus and nissan are required to use. Porsche in nigeria vlaims to be using euro 4 after their modifications but the ones brought from the Usa is euro 5. A client of mine imported a 2015 autobiography range rover 3.0 supercharged directly from the factory in the Uk, it was modified to use regular unleaded for nigeria. Nigeria uses regular unleaded fuel and ask around if you can use regular unleaded in your 75k bolide.

1 Like

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by LeJeun3: 11:30am On Sep 11, 2016
erico2k2:

This is very wrong, this info you are passing my friend is absolutely wrong. The premium fuel is for super cars.I have a brand new RRS as U know the fuel grade is Regular and not premium this is a £75K car.
There is non of these car you listed that has a premium Fuel requirement, if you are talking super cars then yes.but then what are the super cars we have in Nigeria?
ALl Porsche use Unleaded fuel unless its a hig performance spec. even the panorama uses Unleaded.

Boss, calm your horses!

The price of your car doesn't matter much at this point. Open the fuel tank door and take a look......

[size=14pt] "Premium Unleaded Fuel Recommended" is clearly stated on all Land Rover Vehicles from 2005 till date [/size]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by sooperrescue(m): 12:08pm On Sep 11, 2016
Thanks for the update, my guy.

1 Like

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by honmusa(m): 12:23pm On Sep 11, 2016
LeJeun3:

Boss, calm your horses!

The price of your car doesn't matter much at this point. Open the fuel tank door and take a look......

[size=14pt] "Premium Unleaded Fuel Recommended" is clearly stated on all Land Rover Vehicles from 2005 till date [/size]
No mind the guy the way he is going by it ,u will feel premium gas compliant cars are from Mars lot of SUV that are premium unleaded gas compliant check your Nissan murano .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by LeJeun3: 1:47pm On Sep 11, 2016
honmusa:

No mind the guy the way he is going by it ,u will feel premium gas compliant cars are from Mars lot of SUV that are premium unleaded gas compliant check your Nissan murano .

I thought I was the only one who saw it....

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by erico2k2(m): 4:22pm On Sep 11, 2016
LeJeun3:

Boss, calm your horses!

The price of you car those matter, how can you come up with that? tell me what High performance car comes cheap?
Me I use Regular daily still nothing do RRAS. grin grin
Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by erico2k2(m): 4:28pm On Sep 11, 2016
honmusa:

No need to go gaga on what I said, the fact is your car will adapt, it is built to do so.
Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by erico2k2(m): 4:32pm On Sep 11, 2016
sooperrescue:
Unleaded premium fuel is what porsche, range rovers, mercedes benz, bmw, acura, vw, audi, lexus and nissan are required to use. Porsche in nigeria vlaims to be using euro 4 after their modifications but the ones brought from the Usa is euro 5. A client of mine imported a 2015 autobiography range rover 3.0 supercharged directly from the factory in the Uk, it was modified to use regular unleaded for nigeria. Nigeria uses regular unleaded fuel and ask around if you can use regular unleaded in your 75k bolide.
Bro thats what I use daily,and all of my friends same as well.I have a mate of mine jst got teh M4,16 model, using regular, I recon these cars are built to adapt, but if you chose to use high octane then up to you plus I have use a full tank of the premium stuff b4 BY Mistake lifting the wrong nozzle, I still cant remember any difference.
Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by LeJeun3: 7:01pm On Sep 11, 2016
erico2k2:

The price of you car those matter, how can you come up with that? tell me what High performance car comes cheap?

Even if you use Kerosene, doesn't make it right..... We talking about what is [size=14pt] "Recommended" [/size]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by erico2k2(m): 7:20pm On Sep 11, 2016
LeJeun3:

Even if you use Kerosene, doesn't make it right..... We talking about what is [size=14pt] "Recommended" [/size]

Garages here says different from what you are saying I bet you know more than them.the ones we have here is 98 and the regular is 95 just 3 difference in Octane number hence we use the regular across unless you are driving a farrier which is high performance or the RS8 and do not forget teh so called Premium has loads of types.anyways, all good Enjoy.!
Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by honmusa(m): 8:18pm On Sep 11, 2016
octane rating of fuel is the tendency of a particular fuel to accept some relative level of compression without igniting during the compression stage.
And this is what makes the difference between premuim furl and regular fuel unleaded ,premium fuel has higher level of compression relatively to regular fuel

1 Like

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by LeJeun3: 8:46pm On Sep 11, 2016
erico2k2:

Enjoy..... I wasn't the one who wrote the car manuals.

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by sooperrescue(m): 9:00pm On Sep 11, 2016
erico2k2:

Bro thats what I use daily,and all of my friends same as well.I have a mate of mine jst got teh M4,16 model, using regular, I recon these cars are built to adapt, but if you chose to use high octane then up to you plus I have use a full tank of the premium stuff b4 BY Mistake lifting the wrong nozzle, I still cant remember any difference.

From Range Rover Manual.....
OCTANE RATING
Your Land Rover requires the use of premium
unleaded fuel with a minimum octane rating of
95 RON to achieve optimum performance, fuel
economy and driveability.
If premium unleaded fuel is not available, you
may use unleaded fuel with a lower octane
rating, down to a minimum of 91 RON , but this
may reduce engine performance, increase fuel
consumption, cause audible engine 'knock' (a
metallic rapping noise from the engine) and
other driveability problems.
Do not use fuels with an octane rating
lower than 91 RON as severe engine
damage may occur.
Note: Occasional, light, engine knock
experienced while accelerating or climbing hills
is acceptable.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by erico2k2(m): 10:54pm On Sep 12, 2016
sooperrescue:

From Range Rover Manual.....
OCTANE RATING
Your Land Rover requires the use of premium
unleaded fuel with a minimum octane rating of
95 RON to achieve optimum performance, fuel
economy and driveability.
If premium unleaded fuel is not available, you
may use unleaded fuel with a lower octane
rating, down to a minimum of 91 RON , but this
may reduce engine performance, increase fuel
consumption, cause audible engine 'knock' (a
metallic rapping noise from the engine) and
other driveability problems.
Do not use fuels with an octane rating
lower than 91 RON as severe engine
damage may occur.
Note: Occasional, light, engine knock
experienced while accelerating or climbing hills
is acceptable.
If you have read what i wrote mayB you would have agreed, Regular fuel here is 95 while premium is 98.
You actually wrote it there yourself, is this not waht I have been trying to tell you, octane rating of minimum 95 is that not regular

1 Like

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by sooperrescue(m): 11:16pm On Sep 12, 2016
erico2k2:

If you have read what i wrote mayB you would have agreed, Regular fuel here is 95 while premium is 98.
You actually wrote it there yourself, is this not waht I have been trying to tell you, octane rating of minimum 95 is that not regular
Continued from Range Rover Evoque owners Manual......

If a heavy persistent engine knock is detected,
even when using fuel to the recommended
octane rating, or if you hear engine knock while
holding a steady speed on level roads, consult
your Dealer/ Authorised Repairer to have the
problem corrected. Failure to do so is misuse
of the vehicle, for which Land Rover is not
responsible. If in doubt seek advice from a
Dealer/Authorised Repairer in the territory
concerned.
Super Green Plus 98 RON unleaded fuel (where
available) may be used as an alternative to the
standard 95 RON unleaded fuel.

The fuel tank that I showed that was 91 min was for an Audi q7, ditto the lincoln navigator and Mercedes benz, they all require 91 min. Regular unleaded is 89-90 ron and that is what Nigeria is using and even recently I got the confirmation from PPPRA. The minimum requirement for all these super cars is 91 ron. Hope the RRS is still coming to Nigeria?
Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by sooperrescue(m): 11:26pm On Sep 12, 2016
Octane ratings
Difference Engine: Who needs premium?
Sep 17th 2012, 10:19 BY N.V. | LOS ANGELES

EVEN at the cheapest petrol station in your correspondent's neighborhood, filling up the family kidmobile with premium (91 octane) fuel now costs over $70. As the meter clocks up dizzying dollar amounts, he looks longingly at the regular (87 octane) pump. Switching from his vehicle’s recommended premium-grade fuel to the cheaper variety would lower his fuel bill by at least 20 cents a gallon (more than five cents a litre). The question is, would it be worth it?

On the surface, the decision appears easy. Because the name “premium” implies a souped-up fuel that packs an extra punch, many motorists actually believe it delivers more oomph or miles per gallon—and may therefore represent good value. The truth, however, is that premium contains no more energy than regular petrol—around 114,000 British Thermal Units per gallon, depending on the season, the region, the local pollution requirements, and the amount of bio-ethanol that has to be added to petrol in America by law to keep the country’s corn-growers in clover (see “Competition at the pump”, August 20th 2012). The difference between premium and regular petrol lies in the blend of hydrocarbons used to make the fuel, and the package of additives mixed into it.

Nowadays, petrol is made up of hydrocarbons (mainly paraffins, naphthenes and olefins) produced in a catalytic cracker or reformer. The refinery process breaks the crude oil’s large hydrocarbon molecules into smaller ones by vaporising them in the presence of a powdered catalyst (an absorbent mineral such as zeolite). The blend varies depending on where the crude came from, the refinery equipment used, and the grade of petrol being produced.

Additives are included to reduce carbon build-up inside the engine, improve combustion, inhibit corrosion and allow easier starting in cold climates. Fuels that meet the requirements for “Top Tier Detergent Gasolines” (a voluntary standard endorsed by BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen) contain more detergent in their additive packages than the minimum required by the authorities.

Another key additive that blenders stir into their brew is ethanol. That is done these days primarily to boost the fuel’s octane rating. A higher octane rating allows an engine to use a compression ratio of, say, 12-to-one instead of a more usual ten-to-one. The greater the compression, the higher the temperature within the combustion chamber. And the higher the temperature, the greater the thermal efficiency and power produced. In a nutshell, high-compression engines designed for performance need high-octane petrol.

Though ethanol has less energy per gallon than petrol, it has a considerably higher research octane number (RON)—around 108 to premium’s 97. It should be noted that this is not the octane rating seen on the pump in America. The RON figure results from a laboratory test done using a special engine with a variable compression ratio.

In the fuel test, the compression is raised until the engine begins to “knock”—ie, the fuel in the cylinder ceases to burn smoothly and instead detonates before it can be ignited by the spark plug. The cylinder pressure at which this occurs is then compared with that achieved while the engine is running on a reference fuel (a mixture of iso-octane and n-heptane). The ratio of the two pressures provides the RON of the fuel in question.

A better way of measuring a fuel’s ability to resist knocking under load is the so-called motor octane number (MON) test. This uses a similar test engine, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed and variable ignition timing. Because it uses more real-world conditions, the MON rating is typically eight to ten points lower than the equivalent RON figure.

In Europe, the octane rating on the pump is simply the RON figure. America, by contrast, uses the average of the RON and the MON figures, called the AKI (anti-knock index). Thus, 97 octane “super unleaded” in Britain is roughly equivalent to 91 octane premium in the United States.

Whatever the test, the point is that knocking needs to be avoided at all cost. If allowed to continue, it can quickly cause an engine to disintegrate. That is because when the air-fuel mixture in the cylinder detonates spontaneously before reaching the top of its compression stroke, the rising piston confronts a wall of rapidly expanding gases from the explosion, which attempt to force the piston back down the cylinder. The stresses caused by suddenly trying to reverse the rotation of the engine can become high enough to shatter the pistons, connecting rods and parts of the crankshaft.

To prevent that happening, a high-compression engine uses a blend of hydrocarbons that is somewhat less combustible than normal. Ethanol has an auto-ignition temperature of 362ºC, while petrol bursts into flames without a spark between 246ºC and 280ºC, depending on the blend. Therefore, adding a little ethanol to petrol can raise the auto-ignition temperature enough to prevent the blend from igniting purely from the heat generated during compression.

On the face of it, then, a motorist would seem ill-advised to use regular petrol in a car with a high-compression engine. That was certainly the case in the past. But cars today have sensors that listen carefully for the knocking sound, and instantly retard the ignition system when they detect that detonation is about to happen.

The delay in delivering the retarded spark allows the piston to start moving downward on its expansion stroke before the ignition actually occurs. That provides additional room in the cylinder head for the gases to expand and thereby reduce their damaging peak pressure—and so burn in a more controlled manner.

To sum up, if the car’s handbook says that premium petrol is “recommended” (rather than insisting it is “required”), then the engine will automatically adjust itself to run smoothly on a lower octane fuel. Because of the retarded ignition, the engine will, of course, produce less power, and have slightly higher fuel consumption. But the poorer fuel economy is likely to be outweighed by the savings at the pump.

Even so, your correspondent remains reluctant to make the switch. One reason is that no one has been able to tell him what damage is done, if any, by running the engine permanently in a retarded state, and forcing the anti-knock system to remain active all the time.

Another reason is because all the vehicle’s emissions testing was done using the recommended grade of fuel. Despite the fact that modern fuel-injection systems adjust the air-fuel mixture for changing conditions, your correspondent still has no idea how much more pollution the car might dump into the atmosphere if he switched to regular. Premium certainly has a better additive package, which helps keep the tailpipe clean as well as the inside of the engine.

But his biggest reason for sticking with premium, though, is that he was well aware that the car needed 91 octane to work properly when he bought it. And having paid upfront for the higher performance, he is reluctant now to throw that benefit away.

As for those who earnestly believe (and quite a few do) that filling the family Toyota with premium will somehow make it go faster or deliver more miles to the gallon, all one can say is don’t bother. As one wit noted, the only thing it will make run faster is money from your pocket.

3 Likes

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by erico2k2(m): 11:41pm On Sep 12, 2016
sooperrescue:

Continued from Range Rover Evoque owners Manual......

If a heavy persistent engine knock is detected,
even when using fuel to the recommended
octane rating, or if you hear engine knock while
holding a steady speed on level roads, consult
your Dealer/ Authorised Repairer to have the
problem corrected. Failure to do so is misuse
of the vehicle, for which Land Rover is not
responsible. If in doubt seek advice from a
Dealer/Authorised Repairer in the territory
concerned.

The fuel tank that I showed that was 91 min was for an Audi q7, ditto the lincoln navigator and Mercedes benz, they all require 91 min. Regular unleaded is 89-90 ron and that is what Nigeria is using and even recently I got the confirmation from PPPRA. The minimum requirement for all these super cars is 91 ron. Hope the RRS is still coming to Nigeria?
Thats correct, what we have as Regular is 95, I got half tank so not filling up till mayB next week so might take pic,let me aslo add, %90 of our RRS here are Diesel .
And yes the RRAS is coming,I just got a new remote key for it.

1 Like

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by erico2k2(m): 7:36pm On Sep 22, 2016
Ok I got that Pic as promised and see waht is written on the regular

1 Like

Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by sooperrescue(m): 10:01am On Sep 24, 2016
I only saw octane 95 which i believe is premium. The middle one should be the regular? Right?
Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by erico2k2(m): 9:35pm On Sep 24, 2016
sooperrescue:
I only saw octane 95 which i believe is premium. The middle one should be the regular? Right?
Sorry for late reply, NO you are wrong, the 95 is the regular, the middle one is the premiume, its the Momentum99, for high performance

https://www.tescopfs.com/our-fuels/tesco-momentum99
Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by 9icetoo(m): 12:58am On Sep 25, 2016
sooperrescue:
In Nigeria, we use unleaded Regular and many cars require this grade of fuel. But majority of the other cars requires a higher fuel, premium unleaded. What do you do if you are faced with this problem? Octane Booster is your best bet. Many people still believe that we use leaded fuel and there are many new cars that is programmed to work only on leaded fuel and they are being sold brand new in Nigeria.
unless you are driving a buggati veyron or any of those cars with exotic engines, it is not a requirement to use premium unleaded fuel.
it is only a recommendation by manufacturers of regular cars that you use fuel with higher octane rating so you can have all the power and fuel economy promised on those cars.
that e90 BMW or mecerdes c320 will not grenade its engine if run on regular fuel. the ecu will adjust timing, to accommodate the lower quality fuel and you lose mpg and power. that is all that will happen. u may hear slight pinging when the car pulls hard or climbs a hill but nothing serious.
but pouring octane boosters down your corolla, Camry, accord, or civic tank is a fucking waste of money. my 2 cents.
Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by sooperrescue(m): 6:52am On Sep 25, 2016
9icetoo:

unless you are driving a buggati veyron or any of those cars with exotic engines, it is not a requirement to use premium unleaded fuel.
it is only a recommendation by manufacturers of regular cars that you use fuel with higher octane rating so you can have all the power and fuel economy promised on those cars.
that e90 BMW or mecerdes c320 will not grenade its engine if run on regular fuel. the ecu will adjust timing, to accommodate the lower quality fuel and you lose mpg and power. that is all that will happen. u may hear slight pinging when the car pulls hard or climbs a hill but nothing serious.
but pouring octane boosters down your corolla, Camry, accord, or civic tank is a fucking waste of money. my 2 cents.

Those cars that you mentioned are Nigeria's specs because they are suitable for our fuel. The BMW will not self grenade its engine but it will eventually die a slow death. Have you ever wondered why people are always changing their VW Golf engines? Where is Mercedes Vboot today even with all the roadside mechanics ability to fix it, the engine was a money spinner to those that imported them. It is only those who dont understand their vehicles that will use octane boosters in Toyota and Honda but on the other hand, Lexus and Acura requires it.
Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by sooperrescue(m): 6:57am On Sep 25, 2016
erico2k2:

Sorry for late reply, NO you are wrong, the 95 is the regular, the middle one is the premiume, its the Momentum99, for high performance
https://www.tescopfs.com/our-fuels/tesco-momentum99

www.simplemotoring.co.uk/car-fuel-type

Types Of Car Fuel
What’s In A Name?
Most of the time, you don’t need to know much about the fuel your car uses.

Petrol or diesel?

That’s all you need to remember, although you would be surprised how many people get this wrong every year – misfuelling is a big problem.

However, there is a bit more to fuel than this, and even petrol comes in different types. We’ve produced a guide to the main types of fuel on offer in the UK – click on a link for more information:

Premium unleaded petrol
Super unleaded petrol
Diesel
LPG Autogas
Biofuels (biodiesel and bioethanol)
Petrol
Premium Unleaded (95 RON)
This is bog-standard unleaded petrol. Despite the name ‘premium’, it’s actually the standard petrol sold all over Europe.

95 RON refers to the octane level of the petrol. This is a measure of how easily the fuel will ignite inside an engine. Higher octane levels mean that the fuel will not ignite as easily and are required for some (a few) high performance engines.

Premium unleaded is suitable for almost all petrol engines. You should be safe to use it unless your car’s user manual specifically specifies that you should only use petrol with an octane rating higher than 95. Very few cars require this.

Premium unleaded fuel pumps are usually green. Check the label before you fill.

Super Unleaded (97/98 RON)
Super unleaded is the highest octane petrol that is widely available in the UK. A higher octane rating means that the fuel will require greater compression (more pressure) to ignite. Some car engines – especially high performance Japanese cars – require the use of super unleaded, while performance cars like Porsches and Ferraris will also tend to use this fuel, although it may not strictly be required.

Super unleaded can be used in any petrol engine but will only provide a beneficial effect in a small minority of engines as most engines are not able to take advantage of the higher octane rating.

Premium Fuels – e.g. Shell V-Power, BP Ultimate
Several fuel manufacturers offer own-branded high performance fuels that claim to offer additional benefits in addition to a higher octane rating. The best known example of premium petrol in the UK is probably Shell V-Power Unleaded. V-Power Unleaded has an octane rating of 99RON, the highest available in the UK.

Shell say that V-Power Unleaded offers three benefits – improved lubrication, cleaning action and higher performance (for engines that can benefit) due to the high octane rating.

Two alternative premium fuels are BP Ultimate Unleaded and Total Excellium Unleaded. These claim to offer similar benefits to V-Power but are only rated at 97RON.

Premium super unleaded petrol fuels can be used in any petrol engine but only some drivers/cars will experience a noticeable improvement in fuel economy or performance.

Like the Range Rover Evoque manual stated........
Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by erico2k2(m): 11:23am On Sep 25, 2016
sooperrescue:

www.simplemotoring.co.uk/car-fuel-type

Types Of Car Fuel
What’s In A Name?
Most of the time, you don’t need to know much about the fuel your car uses.

Petrol or diesel?

That’s all you need to remember, although you would be surprised how many people get this wrong every year – misfuelling is a big problem.

However, there is a bit more to fuel than this, and even petrol comes in different types. We’ve produced a guide to the main types of fuel on offer in the UK – click on a link for more information:

Premium unleaded petrol
Super unleaded petrol
Diesel
LPG Autogas
Biofuels (biodiesel and bioethanol)
Petrol
Premium Unleaded (95 RON)
This is bog-standard unleaded petrol. Despite the name ‘premium’, it’s actually the standard petrol sold all over Europe.

95 RON refers to the octane level of the petrol. This is a measure of how easily the fuel will ignite inside an engine. Higher octane levels mean that the fuel will not ignite as easily and are required for some (a few) high performance engines.

Premium unleaded is suitable for almost all petrol engines. You should be safe to use it unless your car’s user manual specifically specifies that you should only use petrol with an octane rating higher than 95. Very few cars require this.

Premium unleaded fuel pumps are usually green. Check the label before you fill.

Super Unleaded (97/98 RON)
Super unleaded is the highest octane petrol that is widely available in the UK. A higher octane rating means that the fuel will require greater compression (more pressure) to ignite. Some car engines – especially high performance Japanese cars – require the use of super unleaded, while performance cars like Porsches and Ferraris will also tend to use this fuel, although it may not strictly be required.

Super unleaded can be used in any petrol engine but will only provide a beneficial effect in a small minority of engines as most engines are not able to take advantage of the higher octane rating.

Well thats says exactly what I have posted, when it says in that Range rover premuime petrol, it meant 95 Ron, which is standard in Europe(Green colour) as seeen on my photo,Im waiting for anyone in America to also post thiers so we see what it has
If your petrol was imported from the EU then your range rover has nothing to fear, no need to increase the RON value however if your additive is to clean and lubricate the Engine like shell V-power says(I have also used this felt no difference)Then thats another argument.
What we need to know now is the RON number from NNPC
PS.That fuel pump was from BP
Re: Is Your Car Using The Right Fuel? by erico2k2(m): 11:26am On Sep 25, 2016
sooperrescue:

Those cars that you mentioned are Nigeria's specs because they are suitable for our fuel. The BMW will not self grenade its engine but it will eventually die a slow death. Have you ever wondered why people are always changing their VW Golf engines? Where is Mercedes Vboot today even with all the roadside mechanics ability to fix it, the engine was a money spinner to those that imported them. It is only those who dont understand their vehicles that will use octane boosters in Toyota and Honda but on the other hand, Lexus and Acura requires it.
Bro there is nothing like Nigerian Spec, erase that thought, we account to nothing when it comes to buying cars from producers.Hope you are not delving into this weather Engine relationship again as it affects Engine.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Toyota Cars Still So Expensive Abroad? / Photo Of A 48 Million Dollar Mercedes Benz.(pic) / See How Expensive Cars Are Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.