Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:26 PM

How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? (11780 Views)

Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / Can You Mix English With Yoruba? / Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by Nobody: 7:44am On Oct 29, 2012
we often say dis,ma lo be lojo monday why nt ojo aiku.i tink its common.everyone mixes english wit d native language
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by Ishilove: 7:46am On Oct 29, 2012
chucky234: Thank God for me ooo,I hardly speaks ukwuani let alone mix it up with English,if you say English and pidgin then am in because I can't do without my pidgin.
Good for you. I don't mix Ukwani too. Rather, I speak Ukwani in one breath, English in the next. I am not fluent in speaking Ukwani, but I can understand 80% of the language.
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by charlsecy4(m): 7:48am On Oct 29, 2012
Antivirus92: This has been a serious problem that run across all ethnicities in nigeria even in africa as a whole.... Are you a victim of that sickness?. How can we stop it?.

[size=13]In our world today, it's nearly impossible not to mix languages for such reasons that no language is complete, social contact, habit, ignorance or you just want to use the two [or more] even though there could be local alternatives.

Do you know that the English Language has borrowed the highest number of words from other languages? English borrows heavily from French, and other languages!

Note: It is IMPOSSIBLE for a language to be complete.....[/size]
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by CrazyMan(m): 7:48am On Oct 29, 2012
Antivirus92: no brother, what i called sickness is the art of adulterating our native language with english and not the native language itself. It seems like you didn't understand my post.
I do...about the adulteration, I believe people do it in casual discussions.

If I'm talking to my parents for instance, or an elderly person, I would maintain Igbo language with zero percent English.

If I'm having a formal discussion with someone, I would maintain English language with zero percent pidgeon or Igbo.

If I'm with my friends, I can decide to kill English language...I may speak pidgeon, Igbo, I may even decide to mix Igbo, pidgeon and English and see the out come. But one thing is certain, I would never speak fluent English with my peers.

So it all depends on your mood at the moment, and the person you're having a conversation with...

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by tintingz(m): 7:56am On Oct 29, 2012
Yeah! I do this all time mix-lang. . .i don't even know what they call CUP in yoruba cheesy
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by Ishilove: 7:57am On Oct 29, 2012
slap1: No, a language student.
Furthermore, no language has it all, hence the need to borrow, code-switch, etc.
True that. For example, my language Ukwani, is a highly watered down version Igbo language. We also borrowed some words from the Yoruba language.

For example
Ukwani: beans-egwa
Yoruba: beans-ewa

The Yoruba got the word "alubosa" which means 'onions' from the the Hausa who had contacts with the arabs through commerce.

Yoruba: alubosa
Arabic: albasal.
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by shewanna: 8:14am On Oct 29, 2012
Lol@tingtinz. But seriously, what's CUP,FORK in yoruba?
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by Ishilove: 8:20am On Oct 29, 2012
CrazyMan:

I would maintain English language with zero percent pidgeon or Igbo.

If I'm with my friends, I can decide to kill English language...I may speak pidgeon, Igbo, I may even decide to mix Igbo, pidgeon and
Yo,ma niqqa, its PIDGIN, not pidgeon.

PIDGEON is the bird

PIDGIN is the language, ya dig? grin

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 29, 2012
Awon kan wa nibi to je pe... To ba tabon lasan... Won setan lati pa e si. Afi bi enipe English je ede iyalaya won. Damboroba.(Meaning) There are so people here that are ready to kill you if u make a mistake when writting in English. They act as if English Language is their Steew Peed Parent Language. DAMBOROBA.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by spartanian(m): 8:34am On Oct 29, 2012
I don't even understand my native languuage sef
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by Antivirus92(m): 8:41am On Oct 29, 2012
spartanian: I don't even understand my native languuage sef
you've just won a scholarship for saying that! Congrats,more grease to your elbow. Btw where are you from?
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by tintingz(m): 8:47am On Oct 29, 2012
she-wanna:
Lol@tingtinz. But seriously, what's CUP,FORK in yoruba?
i don't know naw cry
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by a1solution: 8:54am On Oct 29, 2012
The fact is that Nigerians can no longer speak their language with the mix of english
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by hollypagan: 9:04am On Oct 29, 2012
Ask yoruba ppl the question
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by Nobody: 9:17am On Oct 29, 2012
holly-pagan:
Ask yoruba ppl the question
Eiye wo lo shu e?
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by warlei(m): 9:42am On Oct 29, 2012
[/color][color=#000000] the way out is our education system,our government has to start teaching with native languages in all public schools,hausa/fulani in north,yoruba in d west,igbo in s.e.,people dat dnt want d language can learn in english. Nigerians learn other people lang study in russia,ukraine,france,germany.austria,finland,sweden,china,japan...why cant we do dat here,until we stop worshiping english language and values,we will have a nation built on other people civilazition.we just need to translate the english civilizaton(education,art,technology,skills,)to our language,if i am ever interviewed any where in d world i have promised to never speak english.
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by Nobody: 10:17am On Oct 29, 2012
Seldom cool
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by nekaa(f): 11:34am On Oct 29, 2012
I understand ol 3 major langs buh cant speak so I dnt av such probs.... I can mix english n pidgin, buh ma pidgin tends tu seize wen am outside or with pple i dnt knw very well. If am out wit ma mum n I want tu tell ha sumfn she wld 1st remind me she dsnt av tym for ma english, so I will either forget it or go closer.
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by CrazyMan(m): 12:18pm On Oct 29, 2012
Ishilove:
Yo,ma niqqa, its PIDGIN, not pidgeon.

PIDGEON is the bird

PIDGIN is the language, ya dig? grin
Loud and clear ma'mm wink
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by OkwaIfugo(m): 12:20pm On Oct 29, 2012
ohh my God.
I mix and blend with Igbo very wel.
Example is:

My People OkwaIfugo the hand work of God na ndu anyi.
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by Antivirus92(m): 12:31pm On Oct 29, 2012
OkwaIfugo: ohh my God.
I mix and blend with Igbo very wel.
Example is:

My People OkwaIfugo the hand work of God na ndu anyi.

lmao! Kedu ife chukwu melu gi?
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by Olaone1: 1:21pm On Oct 29, 2012
They are called loan-words and this is normal if you don't want our local languages to die. Code switching/mixing is also normal. A living, dynamic language must accommodate change. A living language embraces new terms, slang from foreign languages. The English are adept at doing this. They welcome it. It makes their language more colouful. Kwashiorkor is a Ghanian word. But, today, it's part of the lexicon of the English language. What about virtuoso, latte, macho, etc? They're borrowed from Italian and Spanish languages. My language, Yoruba, is also not averse to this.

Let's juxtapose this with the language across the English channel - French. They used to (?) have a body that barricade(d) foreign words from their lexicon. They, to their disadvantage, were/are protectionist (read short-sighted).
Thus, the French discovered their clod-hopping policy a little bit too late. The English language had already become Planet Earth universal language.

In order to understand my point, please click on this link:
http://ipezone..com/2010/02/slow-death-of-french-language.html

Take care
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by Olaone1: 1:21pm On Oct 29, 2012
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by StarFlux: 1:44pm On Oct 29, 2012
slap1: Code switching/mixing is here to stay, bro. There are experiences you cannot adequately relate in your own language. What are the Igbo or Yoruba words for network, atom, molecule, Twitter, Google, Adobe Reader, etc? There is no English word for spagetti, so the English man has to code-mix in order to clearly relay his spagetti experience. . .etc.
Yoruba actually has a lot of pure Yoruba words for modern technology. Though Twitter/Facebook are the proper names of such services, and thus it is not necessary to translate.

Ero-isiro, kòmpútà (loan word has been properly assimilated into the language, hence I show you the tones) - computer.
Opolo-komputa - CPU (Central processing unit)
Network: ise-awon
Atom: Ota

So, I promise you there is more. However, loan words such as kòmpútà are normal. BUT, when someone says KILO HAPPEN, it's not normal. You have to see the difference here.
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by pwettytemmy(f): 2:54pm On Oct 29, 2012
As often as ti mo ba tin soro.
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by bigfrancis21: 5:21pm On Oct 29, 2012
Ishilove:
True that. For example, my language Ukwani, is a highly watered down version Igbo language. We also borrowed some words from the Yoruba language.

For example
Ukwani: beans-egwa
Yoruba: beans-ewa

The Yoruba got the word "alubosa" which means 'onions' from the the Hausa who had contacts with the arabs through commerce.

Yoruba: alubosa
Arabic: albasal.

Beans in central Igbo is Agwa. Some Igbo dialects interchange the 'a' letter in words with 'e'. For example;
Central Igbo Dialect English
Ala Eli (Ikwerre) Ela (Nsukka) Land
Aka Eka (Nsukka) Hand
Nwanne Wenne (Ikwerre, Kwale) Brother/Sister
Agwa Egwa (Nsukka, Ukwuani) Beans

It is a phenomenon central to Igbo dialects and not a case of loaning from yoruba. What if yoruba had borrowed it from your dialect?

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by StarFlux: 6:01pm On Oct 29, 2012
CrazyMan:
I do...about the adulteration, I believe people do it in casual discussions.

If I'm talking to my parents for instance, or an elderly person, I would maintain Igbo language with zero percent English.

If I'm having a formal discussion with someone, I would maintain English language with zero percent pidgeon or Igbo.

If I'm with my friends, I can decide to kill English language...I may speak pidgeon, Igbo, I may even decide to mix Igbo, pidgeon and English and see the out come. But one thing is certain, I would never speak fluent English with my peers.

So it all depends on your mood at the moment, and the person you're having a conversation with...
What you don't seem to understand is that during long-term use of such language, you will/or many will, lose their fluency in the language. It's also called losing domain.

Whether you agree with it or not, it is a real factor when speaking of language death and endangerement. Mixing language that often, will eventually kill off the language as people lose fluency. Just in this thread, see how many people are saying they can't even speak their language without mixing in English.

The mixing of languages is a very dangerous thing, especially when it's this common.
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Oct 29, 2012
N ko get gbogbo nkan ti o n happening lori thread yii.
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by Antivirus92(m): 7:42pm On Oct 29, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
please pity the non-Yorubas here!
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Oct 29, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
Yoruba e yi lagbara o. Haba kilo de omidan ileke idi. Sey o le so yoruba lai fi Ede oyinbo si.
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by tomakint: 9:20pm On Oct 29, 2012
I think English has come to stay in its domineering status the more reason we often blend our dialect with English.In my own candid opinion, I believe English has usurp many languages in Nigeria except for a few, take a look at the Yoruba language, there is what we call the ilana afetiya(words borrowed from the way we hear the pronunciation) and ilana afojuya(words borrowed from the way they are written). Our environment didn't allow one to relate in one's dialect, and this is bad!
Re: How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 29, 2012
tomakint: I think English has come to stay in its domineering status the more reason we often blend our dialect with English.In my own candid opinion, I believe English has usurp many languages in Nigeria except for a few, take a look at the Yoruba language, there is what we call the ilana afetiya(words borrowed from the way we hear the pronunciation) and ilana afojuya(words borrowed from the way they are written). Our environment didn't allow one to relate in one's dialect, and this is bad!
Ori re pe Omode yi

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is Wrong In Being Black? / Yoruba People and Culture From Sierra Leone And The Gambia. / The Origin Of Igbanke People In Edo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.