Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? (2383 Views)

Peter Mutharika Accuses T.B Joshua Of Giving A Fake Prophecy / Sex In The Church! Wife Accuses Top Lagos Pastor Of Sleeping With Church Members / 5 Facts You Should Ignore Before You Accuse Catholic Of Worshipping Mary! (2) (3) (4)

What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by tobechi20(m): 3:29pm On Oct 25, 2012
Someone told me the other day that Catholics are idolaters because we kneel in front of statues to pray, which means we are worshipping the statue.

I told him that meant kneeling by your bed to pray is worshipping your bed, and praying at the table before meals must be worshipping your food. That actually helped him understand that you aren't always praying to whatever is in front of you, and I used the opportunity to tell him that we worship God, but we simply ask saints to worship God on our behalf.

Of course this individual was not converted, but I honestly think he has more understanding of our faith than before. I always find it useful to use humor to get people to see your side of an issue. I just thought I'd like to share that, and see what others have experienced in issues like this.

What do you tell someone who accuses you of worshipping statues?
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:48pm On Oct 25, 2012
tobechi20:

Someone told me the other day that Catholics are idolaters because we kneel in front of statues to pray, which means we are worshipping the statue.

I told him that meant kneeling by your bed to pray is worshipping your bed, and praying at the table before meals must be worshipping your food. That actually helped him understand that you aren't always praying to whatever is in front of you, and I used the opportunity to tell him that we worship God, but we simply ask saints to worship God on our behalf.

Of course this individual was not converted, but I honestly think he has more understanding of our faith than before. I always find it useful to use humor to get people to see your side of an issue. I just thought I'd like to share that, and see what others have experienced in issues like this.

dont try d above with ijawkid and frosbel, they are more interested in condemning u than in seeing ur perspective.
No offence meant to ijawkid and frosbel bt d truth is what it is.
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by OmoAlata(f): 11:40pm On Oct 25, 2012
tobechi20:

but we simply ask saints to worship God on our behalf.

When Christ said, "it is finished", the veil tore from top to bottom meaning that man could now go straight before God with his petition instead of going via the priest. You don't need a DEAD saint to plead your case. Go to God directly. Stay blessed smiley

Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by Nobody: 5:06am On Oct 26, 2012
Omo Alata:

When Christ said, "it is finished", the veil tore from top to bottom meaning that man could now go straight before God with his petition instead of going via the priest. You don't need a DEAD saint to plead your case. Go to God directly. Stay blessed smiley

Sorri we don't have dead saints in the catholic church.if the veil was so torn why do you go to your pastors to pray for you? Why do you give them your tithes? You can also go straight to Jesus

Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by OmoAlata(f): 6:22am On Oct 26, 2012
chukwudi44:

if the veil was so torn why do you go to your pastors to pray for you? Why do you give them your tithes? You can also go straight to Jesus

You are talking to the wrong person grin MFM teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight - it's a DIY church wink You can ask the pastors/ministers to SUPPORT you in prayers but they don't take on your prayers whilst you sleep grin
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by italo: 7:13am On Oct 26, 2012
I have met many non-Catholics who are just neutral on these issues. They'll say something like "if Catholics say they don't worship statues then who am I to say they do?" But be warned. Many are not merely 'non-Catholics' but 'ANTI-CATHOLICS'...and there's a big difference. These anti-Catholics just despise anything Catholic (or anything they think the Catholic Church is). They will not listen to reason. In many cases they just make up what THEY THINK the Church teaches and debunk it. When you prove to them through reason andd scripture that your kneeling before a statue is not idolatry, rather than accept that you are correct, they'll start to talk about purgatory. When you prove that purgatory is scriptural, rather than accept that you're right, they start talking about Papal infallibility. In the end, when you debunk them on all issues, they'll run away from you and go and look for more gullible and uninformed people to say the very same things to.

Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by leonshom(m): 7:25am On Oct 26, 2012
chukwudi44:

Sorri we don't have dead saints in the catholic church.if the veil was so torn why do you go to your pastors to pray for you? Why do you give them your tithes? You can also go straight to Jesus
@Omo Alata: If u think we don't nid a dead saint 2 plead our case to God, why on earth do we nid a Pastor 2 plead our case 2 God,nor do we av 2 pray 4 our dearly ones 2 rest in peace. Nothing is wrong in interceeding thru d saints "that could be according to d catholic doctrine anyway"
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by OmoAlata(f): 7:40am On Oct 26, 2012
leonshom:
@Omo Alata: If u think we don't nid a dead saint 2 plead our case to God, why on earth do we nid a Pastor 2 plead our case 2 God,nor do we av 2 pray 4 our dearly ones 2 rest in peace.

It's too late to pray for the dead grin
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by Nobody: 7:54am On Oct 26, 2012
Omo Alata:

God bless your children ma smiley
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by italo: 7:54am On Oct 26, 2012
We do not have "dead Saints." The Saints are ALIVE in heaven.

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

Do you believe this?
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 26, 2012
Omo Alata:

You are talking to the wrong person grin MFM teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight - it's a DIY church wink You can ask the pastors/ministers to SUPPORT you in prayers but they don't take on your prayers whilst you sleep grin

Do you think catholics just fold their hands and ask saints to pray for them without praying for themselves? What we are doing is not differant from what you do which is to ask saints to support us with their prayers
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by Nobody: 8:24am On Oct 26, 2012
Omo Alata:

Why then would paul pray for mercy for his late friend onesiphorous in 2 tim 1:18
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by ijawkid(m): 8:45am On Oct 26, 2012
Ubenedictus: dont try d above with ijawkid and frosbel, they are more interested in condemning u than in seeing ur perspective.
No offence meant to ijawkid and frosbel bt d truth is what it is.

Lol....we aint angry bro....

I'm not in any battle with the catholics actually.....its just that bowing down and chanting before images is just against what Jesus would do...its plain idolatry......Jesus didn't need the help of an image before he could approach his Father....we don't need items to be right in front of us before we can approach our heavenly Father.....

As I can see the catholics are not confident enough that Jesus can do his mediator Job any longer and so bowing down before marys image becomes important.....need I remind you guys that we are to worship God by Faith and not by sight.......we don't need images to help us get to God...images are inanimate objects made by the hands of man........they are lifeless and USELESS........

Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by ijawkid(m): 8:59am On Oct 26, 2012
tobechi20:

So can you please tell me what sets you apart from one who practices hindiusm or buddhism who believes that through an image he or she can get to the supreme God??...

Have you ever tried imitating Jesus who worshipped the almighty without the need of images interceding for Him??.......
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by Nobody: 9:08am On Oct 26, 2012
@ijawkid

God did not condemn use of images but rather worship of images.God recomended use of images in several instances in the bible.Key among them being the bronze serpent,cherubims e.t.c
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by ijawkid(m): 9:21am On Oct 26, 2012
chukwudi44: @ijawkid

God did not condemn use of images but rather worship of images.God recomended use of images in several instances in the bible.Key among them being the bronze serpent,cherubims e.t.c

Now you go way back to the times of the isrealites that were dealing with the ancient temple and its holy of holies and shoved aside what is right in front of you........... What you should have asked is if Jesus and early christians used images In worship??...

Like you said GOD recommended and commanded them(the isrealites) right??@ least you can open the bible to show were God gave this short term commands to the isrealites......and if you had completely read your bible you would have found out that the bronze serpent was later destroyed by God himself......
The cherubs alongside with the mouldings of lions etc that were sculptured in the temple solomon built were never mediums of worshipping or getting to God ....

And no isrealite prayed through dead saints....

1.....Who gave the command that the image of the cross,mary and of saints be made and bowed down to all in the name of worshipping God??open one scripture to support it....

I need scriptures for your stand on making the image of the cross and mary and saints....
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by italo: 9:26am On Oct 26, 2012
ijawkid:

Lol....we aint angry bro....

I'm not in any battle with the catholics actually.....its just that bowing down and chanting before images is just against what Jesus would do...

But it's not against what Joshua and the leaders of Israel did.

ijawkid: its plain idolatry......Jesus didn't need the help of an image before he could approach his Father....we don't need items to be right in front of us before we can approach our heavenly Father.....

Catholics don't believe we need the help of an image before we can approach God. That is an argument you built up by yourself on behalf of Catholics...and we didn't ask you to be our spokesperson on what we believe.

ijawkid: As I can see the catholics are not confident enough that Jesus can do his mediator Job any longer and so bowing down before marys image becomes important.....

Another argument you built by yourself. It doesn't represent our true belief. If you will challenge us, at least challenge what we believe, not what YOU THINK we believe. If you are a true Christian, you will not misrepresent what another person believes. If we are not confident in Jesus as our Mediator, we wouldn't ask any Saint to pray for us to Jesus, would we?

ijawkid: need I remind you guys that we are to worship God by Faith and not by sight.......we don't need images to help us get to God...images are inanimate objects made by the hands of man........they are lifeless and USELESS........

So the Ark of the covenant was also lifeless and useless then? The bronze serpent that God told the Israelites to construct were lifeless and useless?

When you say we are to worship by faith not by sight, you should know that it is not by the "sight" of the statue that we commune with God, it is by FAITH that the Saint is alive in heaven and God will hear and answer his prayer.

When the Israelites bowed before the Ark, they knew that the Ark wasn't God but it brought their minds to God in a very powerful way. When we look at the Statue of Mary, we know that it is not Mary but it brings our mind to the Mother of God who is not dead but alive in heaven, and who can hear us and help us like she helped the couple in Cana talk to Jesus to provide wine.

She hasn't stopped interceding for mankind.
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by italo: 9:43am On Oct 26, 2012
ijawkid:

So can you please tell me what sets you apart from one who practices hindiusm or buddhism who believes that through an image he or she can get to the supreme God??...

The same thing that set the Israelites apart. They also bowed before the Ark of the covenant.

ijawkid:
Have you ever tried imitating Jesus who worshipped the almighty without the need of images interceding for Him??.......

That's exactly what we do. We worship like Jesus who didn't need images to intercede for him because images cannot intercede, but saints can.
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by OmoAlata(f): 9:45am On Oct 26, 2012
italo:

She intercedes for nobody grin
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by ijawkid(m): 10:09am On Oct 26, 2012
italo:

But it's not against what Joshua and the leaders of Israel did.

You mean Joshua and the leaders of isreal chanted in front of images??......please what did they say??

italo:

Catholics don't believe we need the help of an image before we can approach God. That is an argument you built up by yourself on behalf of Catholics...and we didn't ask you to be our spokesperson on what we believe.

Then discard the images of the cross,the rosary,and marys image....throw them into the receptacle..burn them just as the early christians did........

italo:
So the Ark of the covenant was also lifeless and useless then? The bronze serpent that God told the Israelites to construct were lifeless and useless?

what was the instruction God gave moses as regards the bronze serpent??didn't God instruct moses on what to do??....God himself gave the instruction in order for the lives of the isrealites who had been bitten by snakes to be revived.....and that act for-shadowed the messiah been hung on a stake.....Jesus himself refered to that incident....
The isrealites didn't see the copper serpent as a means of worshipping God,,,,....infact later on that bronze serpent was destroyed by God.....

And as regards the ark of covenant,its making was as a result of Gods instruction...and that ark of covenant represented Gods prescence....and it was kept in the most holy.....all that was given because of the physical temple......
Today ofcus God does not dwell in temples....Jesus died to squash the physical temples and all its items......

I wonder how come we are having new images in churches....who instructed the making of those images??God??or man??.....

italo:
When you say we are to worship by faith not by sight, you should know that it is not by the "sight" of the statue that we commune with God, it is by FAITH that the Saint is alive in heaven and God will hear and answer his prayer.

When the Israelites bowed before the Ark, they knew that the Ark wasn't God but it brought their minds to God in a very powerful way. When we look at the Statue of Mary, we know that it is not Mary but it brings our mind to the Mother of God who is not dead but alive in heaven, and who can hear us and help us like she helped the couple in Cana talk to Jesus to provide wine.

Now the difference between you and an ancient isrealite was that that ark of covenant was made because God himself instructed them to make it......

Who instructed the catholics to make an image of mary and to bow down to it and infact pray through it??who??

In your case presumpteousness and idolatry is what is eating you up....

Did the isrealites pray through the ark of covenant??

How can you quote what happened @ cana as a prop for indulging in prayers through mary??

So because mary helped a couple beg Jesus to turn water into wine,it then also means mary is interceding for all Christians after her death??......wonders shall never end!!!!!!!!!!........

And I believe till today you are still begging mary to beg Jesus to turn all the water in your house to wine or maybe VODKA this time......
And how many times did the apostles or early christians pray thru mary even when mary was alive ??can you please spot a verse from acts to revelations where early christians prayed through mary??....

How can you use just that one singular act to term mary as an intercessor.....SMH!!!!!!!.....

Now this is why we say you guys worship mary.....

""HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD PLEASE PRAY FOR US""...

This is what no early christian did or said.........
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by ijawkid(m): 10:15am On Oct 26, 2012
italo:

The same thing that set the Israelites apart. They also bowed before the Ark of the covenant.

That's exactly what we do. We worship like Jesus who didn't need images to intercede for him because images cannot intercede, but saints can.

Don't let me catch you bowing down in front of marys image and chanting ""holy mary mother of God please pray for us"".....

If that isn't idolatry,then what is??...

The isrealites didn't pray through the ark of covenant......get that!!!!!....

Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by italo: 10:54am On Oct 26, 2012
Omo Alata:

She intercedes for nobody grin

That's what you think. WE know that she intercedes for mankind.
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by italo: 11:37am On Oct 26, 2012
ijawkid:
You mean Joshua and the leaders of isreal chanted in front of images??......please what did they say??

Joshua 7: 6 Then Joshua tore his clothes and fell facedown to the ground before the ark of the Lord, remaining there till evening. The elders of Israel did the same, and sprinkled dust on their heads. 7 And Joshua said, “Alas, Sovereign Lord, why did you ever bring this people across the Jordan to deliver us into the hands of the Amorites to destroy us? If only we had been content to stay on the other side of the Jordan! 8 Pardon your servant, Lord. What can I say, now that Israel has been routed by its enemies? 9 The Canaanites and the other people of the country will hear about this and they will surround us and wipe out our name from the earth. What then will you do for your own great name?”

That looks like prayer to me, and it was said after he had prostrated "face down" before the Ark till evening.

And you didn't answer me, where the Ark and bronze serpent lifeless and useless?

ijawkid: Then discard the images of the cross,the rosary,and marys image....throw them into the receptacle..burn them just as the early christians did........

No. They help us bring our minds to God. And I haven't heard where the early Christians did that. Can you show me where?

ijawkid: what was the instruction God gave moses as regards the bronze serpent??didn't God instruct moses on what to do??....God himself gave the instruction in order for the lives of the isrealites who had been bitten by snakes to be revived.....and that act for-shadowed the messiah been hung on a stake.....Jesus himself refered to that incident....
The isrealites didn't see the copper serpent as a means of worshipping God,,,,....infact later on that bronze serpent was destroyed by God.....

If they didn't see the bronze serpent as a means of worshipping God, then neither do we see statues as a means of worshipping God... God healed them by using the bronze serpent, didn't he? So God can heal us by using an image as a point of contact.

ijawkid: And as regards the ark of covenant,its making was as a result of Gods instruction...and that ark of covenant represented Gods prescence....and it was kept in the most holy.....all that was given because of the physical temple......
Today ofcus God does not dwell in temples....Jesus died to squash the physical temples and all its items......

Was the Ark God or was it not God? If it was not God, then why did Joshua bow and pray before it?

ijawkid: I wonder how come we are having new images in churches....who instructed the making of those images??God??or man??.....

God...through his Church. "Whatever you bind on earth is bound in heaven."

ijawkid: Now the difference between you and an ancient isrealite was that that ark of covenant was made because God himself instructed them to make it......

There's no difference. God also recommends the use of our images through his Church... And did God tell the Israelites to bow to the image and Ark and pray to it?

ijawkid: Who instructed the catholics to make an image of mary and to bow down to it and infact pray through it??who??

God...through his Church.

ijawkid: In your case presumpteousness and idolatry is what is eating you up....

That is only your fallible opinion.

ijawkid: Did the isrealites pray through the ark of covenant??

Yes they did in Joshua 7.

ijawkid: How can you quote what happened @ cana as a prop for indulging in prayers through mary??

So because mary helped a couple beg Jesus to turn water into wine,it then also means mary is interceding for all Christians after her death??......wonders shall never end!!!!!!!!!!........

And I believe till today you are still begging mary to beg Jesus to turn all the water in your house to wine or maybe VODKA this time......
And how many times did the apostles or early christians pray thru mary even when mary was alive ??can you please spot a verse from acts to revelations where early christians prayed through mary??....

How can you use just that one singular act to term mary as an intercessor.....SMH!!!!!!!.....

Now this is why we say you guys worship mary.....

""HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD PLEASE PRAY FOR US""...

This is what no early christian did or said.........

The problem is that you keep asking me to quote scripture and I keep quoting but you haven't quoted one single verse to back up all the claims you have been making since.

I've showed you where Mary made Jesus perform a miracle even when he didn't want to, you are asking me for another one. Mary is not dead but Alive. John 11:26 says that if you believe in Jesus, you will never die. Do you believe that?
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by ijawkid(m): 12:29pm On Oct 26, 2012
italo:

Joshua 7: 6 Then Joshua tore his clothes and fell facedown to the ground before the ark of the Lord, remaining there till evening. The elders of Israel did the same, and sprinkled dust on their heads. 7 And Joshua said, “Alas, Sovereign Lord, why did you ever bring this people across the Jordan to deliver us into the hands of the Amorites to destroy us? If only we had been content to stay on the other side of the Jordan! 8 Pardon your servant, Lord. What can I say, now that Israel has been routed by its enemies? 9 The Canaanites and the other people of the country will hear about this and they will surround us and wipe out our name from the earth. What then will you do for your own great name?”

That looks like prayer to me, and it was said after he had prostrated "face down" before the Ark till evening.

Joshua went on to say ""alas sovereign LORD""

I didn't hear Joshua and those people mention words like the ark of covenant was a medium through which they could get to God.....

How does that relate with when you bow down in front of marys image and say ""Holy mary mother of God please pray for us""??....

Did Joshua mention the ark of covenant in his prayer??....did he??.......rather he said ""alas oh LORD"".

italo:

And you didn't answer me, where the Ark and bronze serpent lifeless and useless?

And You didn't quote a scripture to show me where we are commanded to make an image of mary.....did you??.......God commanded that a corper serpent be made so that all those bitten would be healed,where are u commanded to make an image of mary??
Do you know why I need scriptures??because the apostles who were christians never bowed down to any image let alone the image of mary..... So who started the use of marys image in worship??it has no connection with the scriptures....

italo:
No. They help us bring our minds to God. And I haven't heard where the early Christians did that. Can you show me where?

marys image can't help you or bring your minds back to God,rather it has deluded you into idolatry....you can't tell me @ your age and with a complete bible you still need images to remind you of God....you be pikin??

Besides only pagans bowed down to the images of female godesses......marys image is a replica of that....no spiritually balanced apostle would make an image of mary and bow down to it...except that 1st century christian was drunk on paganism....

italo:
If they didn't see the bronze serpent as a means of worshipping God, then neither do we see statues as a means of worshipping God... God healed them by using the bronze serpent, didn't he? So God can heal us by using an image as a point of contact.

God has healed no one through marys image..now this statement of yours is one big heresy.....you think the white mary you bow down to heals or solves your problem...??you must be joking...I thought I had told you that the copper bronze serpent hung on a stake for-shadowed Jesus being hung on a stake..in which any one who exercises faith in him might not be destroyed but have eternal life.....

Now I didn't hear about marys image been erected to heal or save persons......

italo:

[quote author=italo]

God...through his Church. "Whatever you bind on earth is bound in heaven."

Which church??so God told catholics to make an image of mary and bow down to it,but forgot to tell peter,paul,james and all 1st century christians??.....abeg carry this rubbish comot for my front....
We read specific commands from God himself as regards the making of the bronze serpent,the ark of covenant.....show us from the scriptures and not from some tradition of men how the use of marys image in worship came about.....

italo:
There's no difference. God also recommends the use of our images through his Church... And did God tell the Israelites to bow to the image and Ark and pray to it?

God recommends no image for christians...open a scripture from after Jesus' death were servants of God used images in worship..just one scripture and I'll surrender......if not you are spewing lies......

italo:
The problem is that you keep asking me to quote scripture and I keep quoting but you haven't quoted one single verse to back up all the claims you have been making since.

I've showed you where Mary made Jesus perform a miracle even when he didn't want to, you are asking me for another one. Mary is not dead but Alive. John 11:26 says that if you believe in Jesus, you will never die. Do you believe that?

John 11:26 in no way supports mary being an intercessor.....so u mean all those who begged Jesus to perform miracles on behalf of other persons all became intercessors??....

Mention one verse were the apostles prayed through mary to get to Jesus after Jesus' ascension....infact 1st century christians had no dealings with mary more or else praying through her....

Show me!!!!!!!!!!......

I have never beheld such heresy in my life before......
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by OmoAlata(f): 12:36pm On Oct 26, 2012
italo:

That's what you think. WE know that she intercedes for mankind.

No she doesn't - you've been misled wink
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 26, 2012
@ijawkid

Maybe I am missing it.Kindly provide me a biblical verse that says we sould not make any image of mary or Jesus nor pray in front of them just like Joshua did.

Are you trying to impose your biblical interpretion on the rest of us.You have been given explicit instances of the use of image in the bible yet you are still blabbing.

Who told you God has not healed anyone through mary? Have you heard about the healing water @ lourdes nor the myriads of mary's other miraculous intervention of which I am a beneficiary.Abeg don't talk about what you don't know.
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by OmoAlata(f): 12:46pm On Oct 26, 2012
chukwudi44:

Who told you God has not healed anyone through mary? Have you heard about the healing water @ lourdes nor the myriads of mary's other miraculous intervention of which I am a beneficiary.Abeg don't talk about what you don't know.

The mind is such a brilliant piece of work. Even placebos work wink
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by ijawkid(m): 1:05pm On Oct 26, 2012

Maybe I am missing it.Kindly provide me a biblical verse that says we sould not make any image of mary or Jesus nor pray in front of them just like Joshua did.

Are you trying to impose your biblical interpretion on the rest of us.You have been given explicit instances of the use of image in the bible yet you are still blabbing.

Mention one person God has healed through mary........??

Do we have any instance in the bible....??

My question is who gave you guys the command to make marys image and bow down to it.....

You have been running around opening verses from the OT,but none from the NT....

Something must be wrong......

Now I realize that you guys barely know why Jesus was sent in the 1st place.........

Joshua bowed in front of the ark of covenant which is now defunct because of Jesus' death,.......we have no more temples,holy of holies etc............kindly tell me who instigated the use of marys image in worship....

Tell us the origin......and use the bible......

Simple!!!!!!!........

And don't ask me to show you where the bible says you shuldnt use marys image in worship.the evidence is all over the scriptures that no sane christian in the 1st century made any image,let alone marys image and bowed down to it...

Some one started the use of marys image in worship...who and when was that??
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by italo: 1:22pm On Oct 26, 2012
Omo Alata:
No she doesn't - you've been misled wink

Again, your opinion. And your opinion is fallible. Or are you infallible?
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Oct 26, 2012
@ijawkid

Stop spewing rubbish.The use of image was not part of the mosaic law that was done away by the death of Jesus.Even the commandment that thou shall not make idols was given in the OT so your claim does not hold any water.

You were asking where God healed people through mary in the bible. Well you can find that @ the wedding feast in cana where he changed water into wine.
There exists millions of miraculous intervention by mary throughout the globe that if I begin to list them here nairaland would not be able to contain them.

Even God has used other saints like st Anthony of Padua to work more miracles after his death than when he was still here in this physical world.

NB:images and idols do not mean the same thing as idols refers to images that are worshipped.This implies that images that are not worshipped do not fall into this category and that is why God commanded and approved the use of images.There is no commandment stopping the use of images in both the OT and the NT.I challenege you to so provide it here if it so exists.
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Oct 26, 2012
@ijawkid

Stop spewing rubbish.The use of image was not part of the mosaic law that was done away by the death of Jesus.Even the commandment that thou shall not make idols was given in the OT so your claim does not hold any water.

You were asking where God healed people through mary in the bible. Well you can find that @ the wedding feast in cana where he changed water into wine.
There exists millions of miraculous intervention by mary throughout the globe that if I begin to list them here nairaland would not be able to contain them.

Even God has used other saints like st Anthony of Padua to work more miracles after his death than when he was still here in this physical world.

NB:images and idols do not mean the same thing as idols refers to images that are worshipped.This implies that images that are not worshipped do not fall into this category and that is why God commanded and approved the use of images.There is no commandment stopping the use of images in both the OT and the NT.I challenege you to so provide it here if it so exists.

Use the bible and tell me where it is written we shall not make images of mary ,Jesus or other saints.This stupid reasoning are only found in protestant teachings and nowhere is such mentioned in the bible
Re: What Do You Tell Someone Who Accuses You Of Worshipping Statues? by ijawkid(m): 2:12pm On Oct 26, 2012

Yahweh gave the command before the isrealites made the ark of covenant...Yahweh gave the command before moses erected the copper abi bronze serpent........faithfull isrealites didn't presumpteously carved images to please God...they didn't....you guys have presupmteously made an image of mary and bowing down to it day and night....who gave you the command to make marys image??did Jesus give that command??who instigated it??..........no early christian had marys image nor prayed through mary......you guys haven't opened one scripture...

chukwudi44:

Did Jesus heal anybody at that wedding at cana??Jesus just changed water into wine....

And did the persons who came to meet mary,pray through mary??did they pray??

Is mary still pleading for the water in your house to turn into shepke??....

Can you again please give another instance were people had to run to mary to plead on there behalf for Jesus to heal them or solve
there problems??

I don't believe in online stories of miracles...I need biblical examples....show me were people prayed through mary to get healings in bible times........I'm waiting......

chukwudi44:

And who is anthony of padua..is that a scriptural character??...open the bible .....

chukwudi44:

When one makes images outside Gods direct instructions and commands its tantamount to idolatry....show me from the bible who told you to make marys image and pray through it....its simple...open the scritpures....

Apostle Johnson Suleman....happy Birthday!!! / This Is Why I Dont Believe In "Miracles" from supposed "men of God"!! / Daily Excerpts From Jehovah Witnesses Old Books With Russellrutherfo

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120