Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? (9641 Views)

Why Do Christians Pray Aggressively & Shout Louder Amen At The Mention Of Money? / Top 10 Astonishing Miracles (international) / Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 30, 2012
Science is the future of man kind. Even christians would agree that the the God ideology is becoming weaker as years goes by.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by wiegraf: 5:32pm On Oct 30, 2012
musKeeto:
Nyc...

Me no sabi plenty science.. good at physics in sec sch, dreadful @ chem...prob d teacher..

The way we're taught is critical, not everyone is meant for rote learning, at all. 9ja system is mostly like that; blindly follow, don't create new or even understand existing concepts/frameworks. I only showed occasional flashes of intelligence, some impressive, but mostly rather indifferent. I now earn the dough doing something I picked up myself.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Mckybarf(m): 6:43pm On Oct 30, 2012
Logicboy03: I watched a debate on BBC last night where a priest was saying that many things in the bible were metaphorical and he believes that there are stories in the bible that shouldnt be taken literary but the moral message should be extracted from them. He was ashamed of the bible literalist christian on the same debate that claimed to believe everything word for word in the bible. This same priest said that the virgin birth or the stories in the old testament are not central to his beliefs. He said that the moral teachings of Jesus about love was the main issue.

On the one hand, there are christians that accept the magic/miracles in the bible and on the other, there are christians that take only the moral teachings from the bible. We even have people like Thomas Jefferson, a christian who wrote his own bible excluding all the miracles of Jesus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible

The question now goes to christians-

[size=18pt]a) Are you a miracle accepting or "morals only" accepting Christian?

b) Is interpreting the bible without miracles and the supernatural a modern way of christianity? [/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evIn00lhq8Q&feature=g-vrec
some people read the bible from a logical and scientific perspective rather than with faith. When that happens, then nothing in the bible wilk make sense. By faith we believe creation took six days to complete. By faith we believe God is though none has ever seen Him. By faith we believe the physical universe we see was made from non-existence into existence. By faith shall we be saved. If you believe all these and dont believe the virgin-birth of Christ and his miracles, then its better you dont believe in nothing at all cos you are only making a FOOL out of yourself. I am least surprised about so called 'priests' cos Paul and Peter prophesized about them. I do believe though that a good part of scripture is symbolic but that not withstanding, the miracles were real.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Mckybarf(m): 6:45pm On Oct 30, 2012
ifeness: Science is the future of man kind. Even christians would agree that the the God ideology is becoming weaker as years goes by.
keep dreaming. Soon your folly will catch up with you.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Oct 30, 2012
Mckybarf: some people read the bible from a logical and scientific perspective rather than with faith. When that happens, then nothing in the bible wilk make sense. By faith we believe creation took six days to complete. By faith we believe God is though none has ever seen Him. By faith we believe the physical universe we see was made from non-existence into existence. By faith shall we be saved. If you believe all these and dont believe the virgin-birth of Christ and his miracles, then its better you dont believe in nothing at all cos you are only making a FOOL out of yourself. I am least surprised about so called 'priests' cos Paul and Peter prophesized about them. I do believe though that a good part of scripture is symbolic but that not withstanding, the miracles were real.

It is called FOOLISHNESS when you replace logic with faith
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Oct 30, 2012
Mckybarf: keep dreaming. Soon your folly will catch up with you.

Christianity...... always preaching with threats
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Oct 30, 2012
Daft priest. Jesus was crucified was metaphorical too.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by dnawah(m): 7:08pm On Oct 30, 2012
The most important thin is to accept Jesus as ur personal saviour.miracle and moral is not visa to heaven.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 30, 2012
J12: Daft priest. Jesus was crucified was metaphorical too.

Why not?
Muslims claim that Jesus wasnt crucified
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 30, 2012
sadeiyare:

If you don't know everything, then you don't have a basis for your scientific calculations. You still can't see that I am not arguing but just telling you that christains are only operating in faith which you will always conclude to be foolishness ( but GOD foolishness is wiser than the wisest of men)

God foolishness?!God foolishness is only meant for the foolish not for reasonable humans. Please, define God and the origin of religion you are so passionate about? If your really know the origin of your religion you won't be so fanatical in this your crusade to pass wrong information about myth called god across as if they are real.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by ugoflenzy: 7:50pm On Oct 30, 2012
Jesus said dat who eva add or remove fr ‎​D̶̲̥̅̊ holy bible has committed a sin so we should not b deceived by any one
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 30, 2012
Logicboy03:

Why not?
Muslims claim that Jesus wasnt crucified

Those are muslims, so its irrelevant.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Oct 30, 2012
Mckybarf: keep dreaming. Soon your folly will catch up with you.

you are the dreamer not me
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Oct 30, 2012
ugoflenzy: Jesus said dat who eva add or remove fr ‎​D̶̲̥̅̊ holy bible has committed a sin so we should not b deceived by any one

Where your witness to the fact that he said that? if at all he ever existed. Are you aware that your govt bought school books worth 100 billion naira? isn't that a miracle?
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Mckybarf(m): 11:15pm On Oct 30, 2012
Logicboy03:

Thank you for your honest answer!

However, you say the bible has survived thousands of years but that is not quite true. Many original scriptures have been lost. There have been many meanings lost in translations and there are also many translations or versions of the bible. What we have today is an incomplete bible.

The bible is not a miracle. Or do you think differently? What is your opinion on this?
can you honestly tell me what is missing from the bible? I would be glad if you could but if you cant, dont blaspheme.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Mckybarf(m): 11:20pm On Oct 30, 2012
J12:

Those are muslims, so its irrelevant.
and who said we needed muslims to confirm the bible for us?! They dont even accept the fact isaac was the one God asked to sacrifice. They intentionally teach their followers that it is ishmael, which is a big lie.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Mckybarf(m): 11:23pm On Oct 30, 2012
Logicboy03:

Christianity...... always preaching with threats
who is threatening who? A christian isnt even supposed to strive with words much less threaten. I just stated the fact.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Oct 30, 2012
Mckybarf: can you honestly tell me what is missing from the bible? I would be glad if you could but if you cant, dont blaspheme.

Your bible aint complete bro

http://www.fairlds.org/authors/misc/are-books-of-scripture-missing-from-the-bible
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Oct 30, 2012
Mckybarf: who is threatening who? A christian isnt even supposed to strive with words much less threaten. I just stated the fact.

.....your "fact" was threatening! wink
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 11:42pm On Oct 30, 2012
all4naija:

God foolishness?!God foolishness is only meant for the foolish not for reasonable humans. Please, define God and the origin of religion you are so passionate about? If your really know the origin of your religion you won't be so fanatical in this your crusade to pass wrong information about myth called god across as if they are real.

Glad you said reasonable, instead of reasoning .

1.Cor.3 : 18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. 19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. 20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.

1 Like

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 12:04am On Oct 31, 2012
all4naija: It also means they were not created and God never created them. It means they existed on their own and they were not God creation.

Same old song, science is limited ; if you don't know everything, you don't know anything

Psalm 139 : 11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. 12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

GOD CAN AND WILL NEVER BE IN YOUR REALM
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 12:06am On Oct 31, 2012
sadeiyare:

Glad you said reasonable, instead of reasoning .

1.Cor.3 : 18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. 19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. 20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.
I don't know what you are talking about. One thing I know for sure is that you are delusional.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by UyiIredia(m): 12:10am On Oct 31, 2012
Logicboy03:

Intelligent design has been destroyed. It has no scientific papers in any scientific journal!

Here is a simple debunking quote;

Intelligence as an observable quality

The phrase intelligent design makes use of an assumption of the quality of an observable intelligence, a concept that has no scientific consensus definition. William Dembski, for example, has written that "Intelligence leaves behind a characteristic signature". The characteristics of intelligence are assumed by intelligent design proponents to be observable without specifying what the criteria for the measurement of intelligence should be

Actu*lly it does have a paper which was published in a scientific journal. I believe the editor of that journal is a certain Richrd Sternberg who was sacked from the establishment in part for what he did. You see most (if not all) scientific journals are averse to ID so they won't even publish the papers ID theorists present. That's why there's the Discovery Institute which publishes ID papers.

Logicboy03: Yes sir. Mr Uyi Iredia is right! He claims that well researched and documented scientific facts are circular. The scientist that have compiled the evidence and cleary sttated their arguments are wrong and circular.

While presenting no supporting evidence for his stance, Mr Uyi Iredia is right. The genetic evidence for common ancestry is circular.

Blah Blah Blah. Keep on blabbing.

Logicboy03: I see you fail to understand what macroevolution is. No wonder you dont believe in it-- the arrogance of ignorance!!!

Seriously, human beings are apes. The same way "macro-evolved" bacteria are still bacteria. You and I are apes from the hominidae family. What matters is the species.

Unfortunately, Adam and Eve is a lie.

I understand what macroevolution is thank you and I'm sure that what you posted is surely not macroevolution which requires massive new genetic information. As I said earlier you can stick around with the apes. I'm fine where I am.

Logicboy03: I see you fail to understand what macroevolution is. No wonder you dont believe in it-- the arrogance of ignorance!!!

Seriously, human beings are apes. The same way "macro-evolved" bacteria are still bacteria. You and I are apes from the hominidae family. What matters is the species.

I believe you must be stup1d to post the same reply to 2 posts.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 12:11am On Oct 31, 2012
sadeiyare:

Same old song, science is limited ; if you don't know everything, you don't know anything

Psalm 139 : 11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. 12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

GOD CAN AND WILL NEVER BE IN YOUR REALM

Okay, Preacher man! It saddens me to see a person who doesn't know the origin of his religion is about defending it and trying to instill it into others through deceitful ways. I have been through your stage of belief and I know how it feels. Just be searching you will find out the truth one day. While searching don't forget to be open-minded in your approach.

PEACE!
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 12:12am On Oct 31, 2012
sadeiyare:

Science is limited and human knowledge is limited. Simple.

However, limited science is 100000000000000infinity times more vast in knowledge than the bible.

The bible that contains contradictions and lies. Yaweh that thought the moon was a light;

New International Version (©1984)
God made two great lights--the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars (Genesis 1;16)
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 12:25am On Oct 31, 2012
all4naija:
Okay, Preacher man! It saddens me to see a person who doesn't know the origin of his religion is about defending it and trying to instill it into others through deceitful ways. I have been through your stage of belief and I know how it feels. Just be searching you will find out the truth one day. While searching don't forget to be open-minded in your approach.

PEACE!

Trust me, you never read the bible ; The Bible is a better scientific journal than all the scientific books of the world put together
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 12:29am On Oct 31, 2012
sadeiyare:

Trust me, you never read the bible ; The Bible is a better scientific journal than all the scientific books of the world put together

The same bible that claims that we descended from Hebrew/Jewish people in Adam and Eve from the middle east?

All the evidence points to the fact that the first humans were from Africa and not the Middle east

1 Like

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 12:36am On Oct 31, 2012
Logicboy03:

Science is limited and human knowledge is limited. Simple.

However, limited science is 100000000000000infinity times more vast in knowledge than the bible.

The bible that contains contradictions and lies. Yaweh that thought the moon was a light;

New International Version (©1984)
God made two great lights--the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars (Genesis 1;16)

What will you tell a kid that the bulb in your living room that glow is : LIGHT. But does it actually generate on it own.
So now you think the sun is light and the moon is a rock, even though both give light but in different ways. I dare you to call the moonlight, sunlight in a night you are out with friends or family and see how they will react to you.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 12:40am On Oct 31, 2012
Logicboy03:

The same bible that claims that we descended from Hebrew/Jewish people in Adam and Eve from the middle east?

All the evidence points to the fact that the first humans were from Africa and not the Middle east

And I really thought you guys have read the Bible

Genesis 11 : 1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by UyiIredia(m): 12:47am On Oct 31, 2012
Logicboy, you dey fear. Why aren't you replying me ?
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:04am On Oct 31, 2012
sadeiyare:

And I really thought you guys have read the Bible

Genesis 11 : 1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.

Really? What was that language? Hebrew? Adam is a Hebrew name.

Unfortunately, the Hebrew language isnt the oldest language and so, the bible fails yet again
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:08am On Oct 31, 2012
sadeiyare:

What will you tell a kid that the bulb in your living room that glow is : LIGHT. But does it actually generate on it own.
So now you think the sun is light and the moon is a rock, even though both give light but in different ways. I dare you to call the moonlight, sunlight in a night you are out with friends or family and see how they will react to you.

What kind of s.tupidity is this?

The bulb is a light. The bulb uses the electricity to generate light.

The moon is a rock that just reflects the light of the sun. The moon doesnt generate light

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Answered: What Does It Mean To Fall From Grace As A Christian? / False teaching in Rccg open heavens devotional / If You Were Asked To Preach In Your Church, What Will Be Your Message?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.