Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,777 members, 7,820,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? (9640 Views)

Why Do Christians Pray Aggressively & Shout Louder Amen At The Mention Of Money? / Top 10 Astonishing Miracles (international) / Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Oct 27, 2012
Logicboy03:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_common_descent

ok. Checkin it out later. Gotta see what's new in yyour argument.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by UyiIredia(m): 5:53pm On Oct 27, 2012
Logicboy03:

No. You pointed out an ignorance about evolution.

Genetics is one of the greatest evidence for common ancestry. The relationship between DNA sequences from different species have been mapped Closely related species have a greater fraction of identical sequence and shared substitutions compared to more distantly related species.

Furthermore this is very repeatable on a small scale and we have seen common ancestry in dogs. Dog breeding by humans have resulted in new breeds like pugs and chihuahua

I'll take this seriously once you show me the ape-like ancestors human supposedly come from. I couldn't care less about the baseless comparisons of genetic sequences.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 27, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

I'll take this seriously once you show me the ape-like ancestors human supposedly come from. I couldn't care less about the baseless comparisons of genetic sequences.

The arrogance of ignorance.

1 Like

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by UyiIredia(m): 10:03pm On Oct 27, 2012
Logicboy03:

The arrogance of ignorance.

Uh Hello. I thought I told you to show me the ape-like ancestor. Then we'll talk.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Oct 27, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

Uh Hello. I thought I told you to show me the ape-like ancestor. Then we'll talk.

There is no need to. The very fact that you dismissed the genetic evidence shows how proud of ignorance you are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimpanzee-human_last_common_ancestor
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by UyiIredia(m): 1:06am On Oct 28, 2012
Logicboy03:

There is no need to. The very fact that you dismissed the genetic evidence shows how proud of ignorance you are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimpanzee-human_last_common_ancestor

The so-called evidence already assumes what it is trying to prove - that organisms share common ancestry. How much more circular or baseless can it get ?
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:20am On Oct 28, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

The so-called evidence already assumes what it is trying to prove - that organisms share common ancestry. How much more circular or baseless can it get ?

That is a fact.....all organisms share common ancestry.

Anyway, there is no need to even debate with you. Evidence is in your front. You are no different from the fools that believe that the earth is only 6,000 years old.

Most educated christians have stopped fighting against the science of evolution- even the catholic church.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by UyiIredia(m): 1:44am On Oct 28, 2012
Logicboy03:

Spare me that look.

Logicboy03: That is a fact.....all organisms share common ancestry.

Facts are things which have been empirically observed. Last time I checked no one saw the common ancestor(s) of all life.

Logicboy03: Anyway, there is no need to even debate with you. Evidence is in your front. You are no different from the fools that believe that the earth is only 6,000 years old.

Which evidence ? You mean the one I pointed out was circular and therefore baseless. I think you should familiarize yourself more with YEC's but I doubt you would.

Logicboy03: Most educated christians have stopped fighting against the science of evolution- even the catholic church.

So what. You are a Nigerian atheist who apparently ddoesn't follow the crowd so why should I. Quit with the ad poppulum argument. It doesn't work on me.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 2:12am On Oct 28, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

Facts are things which have been empirically observed. Last time I checked no one saw the common ancestor(s) of all life.

[size=18pt]It is of no consequence to me to accept your claims in bold. However, you are indirectly stating that god's existence isnt factual since we cant empirically observe him. How nice.[/size]

I have to add to your definition that facts are not only based on things that are observed but logical conclusions or inference that are indisputable or beyond doubt.

The genetic evidence shows that all organism come from a universal common ancestor. After observing the DNA, this is the conclusion the scientist have come up with.

Uyi Iredia:
Which evidence ? You mean the one I pointed out was circular and therefore baseless. I think you should familiarize yourself more with YEC's but I doubt you would.

Is the genetic evidence that shows a closer link between closely related species and a universal link with all studied species circular?

Is the fact that we know that speciation occurs and we as a species are cllosely related to apes, therefore leading to the conclusion that we have a common ancestor circular?

Please, explain your ignorance

Uyi Iredia:
So what. You are a Nigerian atheist who apparently ddoesn't follow the crowd so why should I. Quit with the ad poppulum argument. It doesn't work on me.

lol....I am only telling you that your vehement defense of ignorance is no longer shared by people who once supported your outdated way of thinking.

The arguments for evolution are already there. This was just to show you how compelling they are.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by UyiIredia(m): 2:58am On Oct 28, 2012
Logicboy03:

[size=18pt]It is of no consequence to me to accept your claims in bold. However, you are indirectly stating that god's existence isnt factual since we cant empirically observe him. How nice.[/size]

God's existence is inferred from Nature. Go figure.

Logicboy03: I have to add to your definition that facts are not only based on things that are observed but logical conclusions or inference that are indisputable or beyond doubt.

Which further betters my case that God's existence is a fact.

Logicboy03: The genetic evidence shows that all organism come from a universal common ancestor. After observing the DNA, this is the conclusion the scientist have come up with.

I have already pointed out the circularity of the argument from genetic evidence. It really is as good as nothing.

Logicboy03: Is the genetic evidence that shows a closer link between closely related species and a universal link with all studied species circular?

A link which doesn't tally with the evidence from morphologocal comparisons. Come on!

Logicboy03: Is the fact that we know that speciation occurs and we as a species are cllosely related to apes, therefore leading to the conclusion that we have a common ancestor circular?

Please, explain your ignorance

The genes between humans and apes aren't all that similar as shown in a fairly recent study by the ICR (Institute for Creation Research).

Logicboy03: lol....I am only telling you that your vehement defense of ignorance is no longer shared by people who once supported your outdated way of thinking.

Stup1d people you mean. Who undermine their viewpoint by marrying it with one that is fundamentally opposed.

Logicboy03: The arguments for evolution are already there. This was just to show you how compelling they are.

The arguments are weak & putative.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 3:26am On Oct 28, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

God's existence is inferred from Nature. Go figure.

Which further betters my case that God's existence is a fact.

I have already pointed out the circularity of the argument from genetic evidence. It really is as good as nothing.

A link which doesn't tally with the evidence from morphologocal comparisons. Come on!

The genes between humans and apes aren't all that similar as shown in a fairly recent study by the ICR (Institute for Creation Research).

Stup1d people you mean. Who undermine their viewpoint by marrying it with one that is fundamentally opposed.

The arguments are weak & putative.

grin grin grin grin grin

You are not making any sense. You said that facts are things that are empirically observed. Yet, you believe in god. You say that god is inferred from nature? I hope you know that "inferred" and "empirically observed" are two different things.

By your own definition, God doesnt exist. I would have said "epic fail" by now but this is such a win because you are realising that you're god is fake.

You stated that the common ancestor in evolution is a circular argument. Please, do not just state that something is circular if you dont understand it.

Scientific theories are never circular. In this case, the arguments are clear and simple. It is all in the DNA which we can see similar patterns in closely related species and less similar ones as we move towards distantly related ones. Furthermore, there is a universality in the genetic code of all living things.

These observations lead to the conclusion that all living things have a common descent (considering evolution)

Furthermore what nonsense are you talking about? The link does not tally with evidence from "morphological comparisions"? Where do you get this nonsense from?
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by pastormustwacc: 7:43am On Oct 28, 2012
One day, future database archeologists will come to read this thread, and they will be wondering our level of intelligence when they read stuffs like this thread.
I am sure they will be ashamed and will find it hard to believe we were really their ancestors. Just like we are finding it hard to accept we evolved from apes.

pastormustwacc: [size=15pt]If Koko a freaking gorilla has a tested IQ of between 70 and 95 on a human scale, where 100 is considered "normal."

So, if the Nigerians are less intelligent than an APE. Then i think it is best i just pull the damn trigger.[/size]
Link: The Average IQ Of Nigeria Is 69
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 10:17am On Oct 28, 2012
Logicboy03:

grin grin grin grin grin

You are not making any sense. You said that facts are things that are empirically observed. Yet, you believe in god. You say that god is inferred from nature? I hope you know that "inferred" and "empirically observed" are two different things.

By your own definition, God doesnt exist. I would have said "epic fail" by now but this is such a win because you are realising that you're god is fake.

You stated that the common ancestor in evolution is a circular argument. Please, do not just state that something is circular if you dont understand it.

Scientific theories are never circular. In this case, the arguments are clear and simple. It is all in the DNA which we can see similar patterns in closely related species and less similar ones as we move towards distantly related ones. Furthermore, there is a universality in the genetic code of all living things.

These observations lead to the conclusion that all living things have a common descent (considering evolution)

Furthermore what nonsense are you talking about? The link does not tally with evidence from "morphological comparisions"? Where do you get this nonsense from?

Your ignorance is again on display smiley But, for now, I'll just watch you and Uyi Iredia. It's fun so far.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 10:19am On Oct 28, 2012
pastormustwacc: One day, future database archeologists will come to read this thread, and they will be wondering our level of intelligence when they read stuffs like this thread.
I am sure they will be ashamed and will find it hard to believe we were really their ancestors. Just like we are finding it hard to accept we evolved from apes.

Link: The Average IQ Of Nigeria Is 69

Curious Christian you are.

1 Like

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by pastormustwacc: 11:29am On Oct 28, 2012
Ihedinobi: Curious Christian you are.
Thank you very much, this will go down as one of my best responses on this board, but i will let God take the credit for that.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 11:58am On Oct 28, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Your ignorance is again on display smiley But, for now, I'll just watch you and Uyi Iredia. It's fun so far.

I'm am very close to unleashing abuse on you. angry

You know that you have nothing to say. Evidence and logic are on my side. I have explained and posted evidence + links to Uyi Iredia and yet all he does is diregard them and ask foolish questions.

You know that you have nothing to comntribute and the evidence has shut you up and so, you cheerlead your fellow christian to create the illusion that he is making sense.

You are the ignorant one
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by pastormustwacc: 12:26pm On Oct 28, 2012
@Logicboy03, i wonder, what is your give and take on psychic abilities? Based on your sense of logic? I am curious to know. Because you give off a different energy reading compared to the other atheists on this board (if i may be permitted to say).
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Oct 28, 2012
pastormustwacc: @Logicboy03, i wonder, what is your give and take on psychic abilities? Based on your sense of logic? I am curious to know. Because you give off a different energy reading compared to the other atheists on this board (if i may be permitted to say).
grin cheesy
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by pastormustwacc: 12:41pm On Oct 28, 2012
^^^No mind me - na africa WINCH magic i dey use - i hope say those winners people nor go slap me sha.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Oct 28, 2012
pastormustwacc: @Logicboy03, i wonder, what is your give and take on psychic abilities? Based on your sense of logic? I am curious to know. Because you give off a different energy reading compared to the other atheists on this board (if i may be permitted to say).

I dont believe in psychic abilities.

What I know is cognitive abilities. We humans have brains and we can find patterns. We sometimes are unconsciously drawn to patterns we like due to the hard wiring of the brain.

Such a pattern could be the message written or spoken by someone else. When my message resonates with you, you find yourself drawn to me, to find out why ypu or we are feeling the same emotions on an issue. It is almost spiritual. wink
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by pastormustwacc: 12:57pm On Oct 28, 2012
Thank you for having answered my question correctly. But many christians don't accept this belief in the first place, and you have just described some psychic principles too (whether you know it or not).

1 Like

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 29, 2012
Logicboy03:

I'm am very close to unleashing abuse on you. angry

You know that you have nothing to say. Evidence and logic are on my side. I have explained and posted evidence + links to Uyi Iredia and yet all he does is diregard them and ask foolish questions.

You know that you have nothing to comntribute and the evidence has shut you up and so, you cheerlead your fellow christian to create the illusion that he is making sense.

You are the ignorant one

lol. If these rehashed arguments weren't boring me so much, you'd have been seeing me engaging you already. Still haven't checked out your links. Will do soon as I can muster a modicum of interest.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 10:30am On Oct 29, 2012
Is davidylan secretly training trolls?

Ihe and Image120lodo, una dey do well o..

1 Like

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 10:31am On Oct 29, 2012
Ihedinobi:

lol. If these rehashed arguments weren't boring me so much, you'd have been seeing me engaging you already. Still haven't checked out your links. Will do soon as I can muster a modicum of interest.

You are foolish.

You havent checked the evidence and neither have you given a critique of the argument yet you have the nerve to talk.

Please, get the F*** out.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 10:32am On Oct 29, 2012
musKeeto: Is davidylan secretly training trolls?

Ihe and Image120lodo, una dey do well o..

Thank you jo!
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by cyrexx: 10:42am On Oct 29, 2012
Logicboy03:

You are foolish.

You havent checked the evidence and neither have you given a critique of the argument yet you have the nerve to talk.

Logicboy, go easy on him, abeg. You know he has short attention span and his comprehension abilities is gradually reducing. Besides, he has not graduated from his training under his master- the artful dodger. The only thing thing he can understand very well is what is written in the bible. You need to understand the guy and go easy on him. Abeg.

1 Like

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 10:47am On Oct 29, 2012
cyrexx:

Logicboy, go easy on him, abeg. You know he has short attention span and his comprehension abilities is gradually reducing. Besides, he has not graduated from his training under his master- the artful dodger. The only thing thing he can understand very well is what is written in the bible. You need to understand the guy and go easy on him. Abeg.

Anony has failed his disciple

grin grin grin
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by wiegraf: 10:50am On Oct 29, 2012
Ja, ja, this is a fun thread. But.t ra.ping logic a-plenty. We have a nice count as well, most xtians believe talking snakes existed because a story book says so. Whowouldathunk!

1 Like

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 11:15am On Oct 29, 2012
Logicboy03:

You are foolish.

Got a few questions for you. Hope you'll oblige me. I'm asking them because I don't like to waste my time and Internet on aimless pursuits.

1. Have you read the "common descent" article?

2. Did you do so critically?

3. Do you accept its position as yours? Or do you have reservations on its position?

4. If you do, what are they?

5. If you don't, are you willing to defend its position?

6. Are you willing also to defend it if your reservations are taken account of?
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 11:15am On Oct 29, 2012
Logicboy03:

You are foolish.

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 11:44am On Oct 29, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Got a few questions for you. Hope you'll oblige me. I'm asking them because I don't like to waste my time and Internet on aimless pursuits.

1. Have you read the "common descent" article?

2. Did you do so critically?

3. Do you accept its position as yours? Or do you have reservations on its position?

4. If you do, what are they?

5. If you don't, are you willing to defend its position?

6. Are you willing also to defend it if your reservations are taken account of?

The argument has been made. State what is wrong with it.

Anony tactics of wasting time with questions dont work with me

1 Like

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Oct 29, 2012
Logicboy03:

The argument has been made. State what is wrong with it.

Anony tactics of wasting time with questions dont work with me

I am going assume that you have
read critically and accept the article's position as yours without qualification.

I will go ahead to read and digest that article (that thing is long, I hope you know) and prepare counters if necessary.

CAVEAT EMPTOR:

I will not be responsible for the consequences of any display of ignorance and absurd reasoning on your part.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

MFM (mountain Of Fire & Miracle Ministries) New Regulations!! / What's Your Favourite Prayer Posture? / Answered: What Does It Mean To Fall From Grace As A Christian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.