Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,441 members, 7,819,632 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Dupsy Abiola, MKO 's Daughter Appearance On Dragons Den UK (Video) - TV/Movies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Dupsy Abiola, MKO 's Daughter Appearance On Dragons Den UK (Video) (24624 Views)

Nigerian Dragons Den Help / Uba & The Dragons Den Tussle. / Dragons Den Nigeria: A Timely & Worthy Gesture! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dupsy Abiola, MKO 's Daughter Appearance On Dragons Den UK (Video) by Skywalker5(m): 10:15pm On Oct 28, 2012
occam:

You're quite correct; it's all entertainment.

Personally, I find it condescending and patronizing. Couple of rich white folks helping a talented, young, black lady grow her business. Gimme a break! Life just not like that for black folks in any white dominated country. And telling her personal story seems so fake and scripted.

Why should any smart business person invest without getting answers to critical questions about revenue generation, plans on getting customers, overhead costs, potential profit etc. Instead the focus is on her personal story.

Sourcing for INTERNS through a website? Really! How many businesses will fork out 100 pounds per month just to get access to interns? Even if she gets 100 customers (a highly optimistic number), that's only 10,000 pounds a month. How is this biz going to pay for itself? Clever girl. I think she'll just take the 50k and invest in some other biz.

Hopefully, the publicity generated on dragons den may help attract visitors to the site in the short term only. Generating and sustaining traffic to a online business is very EXPENSIVE. Building the web tools and platforms is only the beginning.

The whole things looks like a sham designed to attract young black audience for Dragon's den. Period.

Yea yea, what has race got do with it? Have you heard of levi roots? mayb you read about him and how the show has been successful with entrepreneurs before complaining that the show is a sham to attract black audience. What has black got to do with it?

You asked how will the biz pay for itself? Have you heard of websites like Linkedin, reeds,Jobsite, milkround? These are similar websites and Linkedin charges some companies in order to get access to people's resume.Lots of companies use Linkedin to find candidates. Dupsy own is different as it targets mostly Fresh Graduates

Its funny when people just put race into something that its got nothing to do with it

2 Likes

Re: Dupsy Abiola, MKO 's Daughter Appearance On Dragons Den UK (Video) by Skywalker5(m): 10:18pm On Oct 28, 2012
namski: Exhibition of ignorance part 1. A girl that has gone to seek investors for her business has turned a beggar. Any wonder why we are refered to as third world - it's very much deep rooted going by comments here. Talk is cheap afterall!

You cant blame most of them complaining. In the future when Dupsy become successful in the business, they will say she is illuminati

2 Likes

Re: Dupsy Abiola, MKO 's Daughter Appearance On Dragons Den UK (Video) by playboy19(m): 8:59pm On Oct 29, 2012
Sky-walker:

You cant blame most of them complaining. In the future when Dupsy become successful in the business, they will say she is illuminati

Not to mention that even one of the investors said she is already financially stable, so they know exactly what she's looking for, which is "expertise". To be honest with you, I have seen so many episodes of that program and co-incidentally, i watched more than 4 episodes today alone on BBC, her pitch was so perfect, i told my girl it almost look fake.

1 Like

Re: Dupsy Abiola, MKO 's Daughter Appearance On Dragons Den UK (Video) by M1ATruth: 1:51pm On Nov 04, 2012
advocate666: [size=18pt]HERE IS A VIDEO OF ABIOLA'S SHAMELESS DAUGHTER BEGGING FOR WINNING MONEY IN THE UK.[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zumkSeC2u3M

Please moderator, this is my thread. If you don't like it, start your own.

[size=14pt]GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT - DUPSY ABIOLA IS AMAZING[/size]

Advocate666 and all the other haters you are a coward and a disgrace. I dare any of you to do half as well as this girl has done in a lifetime. Did people here actually watch the footage? I plan to start my own thread to celebrate this great black female entrepreneur in the making. I suggest people join this thread here. https://www.nairaland.com/1093170/dupsy-abiola-mko-abiola-lives#12826479

Dupsy Abiola is impressive
I watched the whole show and have no doubt that she will go very far. I also know some of the Abiola family. They are all very accomplished.
Dupsy went to Oxford University which is one of the best universities in the world.
She is independently successful and quit a successful lawyer to start her first business. She worked on large cases and it is well known that top barristers earn between £100,000 to £2m per year (25m to 250m Naira PER YEAR). I read somewhere she has several scholarships.
Peter Jones said that she already had investment before she even went on the show but she took the wise move to go on Dragons' Den to increase her profile in the UK.

Dragons' Den and investment

Asking for investment is a necessary part of building any global company. No-one in their right mind (regardless of their personal or financial means) would fund a venture by themselves. They get partners, investors, and other stakeholders who can provide capital and expertise. This not only diversifies risk but also adds strengths. Dupsy did not mention her father's name on the show but all Nigerians know that she is the daughter of the late great MKO Abiola.

The investment programme Dragons' Den hosts five UK investors who are successful entrepreneurs in their right. None of them were as successful as Dupsy's father, MKO Abiola, but they are well known in the UK, have millions of twitter followers, and are well respected in Europe. MKO Abiola (despite being one of our most famous Nigerians) is not well known in the United Kingdom and if you watch the footage it is pretty clear that none of the investors have any idea who he was. She also did not even mention him by name but was answering the question.

It is a well known fact that Dragons Den is one of the most popular shows on UK television showcasing many successful UK businesses. Whilst the format of the show involves a pitch for investment, it is really about innovation and publicity for bright entrepreneurs. The investments on the show are between £50,000 - 250,000. The average amount sought is around £80,000. The investment amounts are DELIBERATELY small because the aim is to get the approval and recommendation of some of the UK's top entrepreneurs. Several thousands of people apply for the show and very few are selected. The show is known for being very difficult to do well in. Most entrepreneurs who pitch are ripped to shreds. Less than 10% of pitches have a single successful offer. This girl got two offers. After the show ends, she can decide whether she wants to do the deal later. You can see information about the show in the link below.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragons'_Den_(UK)[/url]

MKO's Daughter and the Abiola family

Some of the comments here are irrelevant and ridiculous. There has never been ANY evidence of theft or wrongdoing by MKO Abiola. Like all great men he had jealous enemies. People who assume all success must have been gained through wickedness because they are wicked themselves. The only man who ever called MKO a thief (Fela Kuta) was a known drug addict who had been dropped from one of MKO's record labels. If there was ANY evidence of wrongdoing then it would have been brought forward long again.

No-one knows what happened to the Abiola family after he was detained by the military. It is a shame that no-one has asked. I read an article in This Day featuring comments by Kofi Annan (the UN Secretary General) which said that MKO Abiola was not allowed to see any of his family or even read a newspaper in his imprisonment. http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/kofi-annan-abiola-s-death-was-suspicious/128140/. She said that her father was a great entrepreneur that her family were terrorised by the Nigerian government and that she and her mother looked after themselves. She never said that all her father's companies were gone or that she did not have any money. Dupsy Abiola is clearly a success in her own right. There is no reason to disbelieve her story. It is well known that Kola Abiola (MKO's eldest son) took charge of MKO's affairs for over 12 years but recently admitted that he has not given a single penny to any of MKO's other heirs. Her family life has nothing to do with her business. Her website is beautiful and her idea is flawless. http://www.internavenue.com

[size=16pt]Support Dupe![/size] https://www.nairaland.com/1093170/dupsy-abiola-mko-abiola-lives#12826479

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 10 Korean Words You'll Always Hear In A Kdrama / Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates / Kechi Okwuchi Is A Finalist On America's Got Talent 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.