Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! (2549 Views)

Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Sentenced To 4yrs In Jail For Tax Fraud / Fomer Italian PM Jailed / Fmr Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi Sentenced To 4 Years In Jail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by omodapson(m): 3:32pm On Oct 26, 2012
The news is just breaking and i don't have details but doubters can check cnn.com to confirm.

Silvio Berlusconi is to serve a 4-year jail term for tax frau.

Question is, can Nigeria as a nation learn from this?

Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has survived political, corruption and sex scandals over the years, but on Friday, a Milan court sentenced the flamboyant politician to four years in prison for tax evasion.

Berlusconi, who is likely to appeal, called it an "unacceptable political sentence" in an interview that aired on CNN affiliate TGCOM24.

"I was convinced that I would get acquitted of an accusation that is far from the truth," he said. "This is a conviction I can easily define as political, incredible and even intolerable."

He added: "I'm a victim of judicial harassment."

His trial, which also involved executives from Berlusconi's Mediaset television group and the head of a Swiss bank, concerned the purchase of TV rights for films that were then resold within the group at inflated prices.

Prosecutors said the scheme, involving about 3,000 American films, allowed those involved to avoid a major tax bill. They may have to pay a fine of up to €10 million ($12.9 million) if the court's ruling is upheld.

Under the Italian legal system, Berlusconi and his fellow defendants have the right to appeal their sentence twice, in the appeals court and a higher court.

Also, because the case dates to July 2006, the statute of limitations will expire next year, meaning there is a good chance none of the defendants will serve any prison time.

, 76, resigned as prime minister in November amid his country's debt crisis, bringing to an apparent end an 18-year era in which he dominated Italian politics.

Through the years, he was accused of embezzlement, fraud and bribery, but he was never convicted until the tax evasion case.

He also faces trial on charges that he hired an underage prostitute and later tried to pull strings to get her out of jail when she was accused of theft.

The woman involved in the long-running case is the Moroccan dancer Karima el Mahroug, nicknamed "Ruby the Heart-stealer."

American movie star George Clooney had been expected to appear Friday as a defense witness in that case but did not show up. The actor's representative said he would not be serving as a witness for Berlusconi.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/26/world/europe/italy-berlusconi-convicted/index.html?hpt=ieu_c1
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by Maxymilliano(m): 4:51am On Oct 27, 2012
Funny how the mighty have fallen, thought Berlusconi
was once untouchable.

Strange times indeed!
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by Fogman(m): 4:55am On Oct 27, 2012
Keenly watching development
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by hollypagan: 4:57am On Oct 27, 2012
Read the news very well before posting poster its 1 year and he has to appeal before going to jail

1 Like

Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by Shuen: 5:13am On Oct 27, 2012
@holy-pagan,read d 1st paragraph very well.
We'll get there 1day,hopefully.
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by Truckpusher(m): 5:27am On Oct 27, 2012
holly-pagan:
Read the news very well before posting poster its 1 year and he has to appeal before going to jail
Tell him ooohhh before his kind joins up the topic and begin to spew....complete the rest if you so sure of what i wanted to say.
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by Truckpusher(m): 5:32am On Oct 27, 2012
How can a competent court of law pass a judgement for a four year jail term and after one hour it's been reduced to one year with the conditions for reducing it to one year totally unimaginable ....can anyone tell me the difference between this judgement and that of mrs Cecilia Ibru who stoled us blind but was treated with kids gloves and spent all her jail time in redington hospital in VI all in the name of ill health....if you ask me ,my take on this:corruption is everywhere it all depends on how well it's been managed, always fooling the people,the only diff. between them and our govt is that ,our govt is doing it and shoving down our throat because we are too divided and polarized on Ethnicity,Religion and Region.
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by GentleNaaz(m): 5:44am On Oct 27, 2012
We need people lik dose lawyers 2 bring our politicians 2 book
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by Truckpusher(m): 5:56am On Oct 27, 2012
Gentle Naaz: We need people lik dose lawyers 2 bring our politicians 2 book
The people that brought him to justice are not called lawyers ,they are called prosecutors...go read up something bro.
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by rabonni(m): 6:04am On Oct 27, 2012
if u re into sportbetting visit betagist..com for your daily picks its free.......note he buys the pick from a link in europe but he is giving them out free cos he want is blog to grow try them and see, i know him one on one, he makes his living from sport betting
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by maclatunji: 6:32am On Oct 27, 2012
Truckpusher: The people that brought him to justice are not called lawyers ,they are called prosecutors...go read up something bro.

You can't be a prosecutor without being a lawyer. A prosecutor works for the state with the task of trying to convince judges or juries that suspected offenders should be convicted. Defence lawyers or attorneys do the opposite.
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by slap1(m): 6:58am On Oct 27, 2012
Pity
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by slap1(m): 6:59am On Oct 27, 2012
This couldn't have come at a much worse time for AC Milan. Na wa o!
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by Truckpusher(m): 7:29am On Oct 27, 2012
maclatunji:

You can't be a prosecutor without being a lawyer. A prosecutor works for the state with the task of trying to convince judges or juries that suspected offenders should be convicted. Defence lawyers or attorneys do the opposite.
I know that you can't be a prosecutor without being a lawyer,but when you talk about the people that has the responsibility to bring a suspect to justice ,they are no longer referred to as lawyers in discharging their duties but prosecutors and if i may follow your line of argument calling the opposite of prosecutors, "defense lawyers or attorneys" which is very correct,Then should the former which is the subject issue be called prosecutor lawyers
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by omodapson(m): 8:14am On Oct 27, 2012
holly-pagan:

Perhaps you didn't take time to read my post before passing your judgement. The story was posted when it was breaking and was not reported in details. The one year jail agreement was an aftermath. Pls, always take time to read thru before critcising.
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by omodapson(m): 8:16am On Oct 27, 2012
Truckpusher: Tell him ooohhh before his kind joins up the topic and begin to spew....complete the rest if you so sure of what i wanted to say.

another breed of 'quick to kill' smh...
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by thorpido(m): 9:02am On Oct 27, 2012
maclatunji:

Thank u jare.People just jump 2 correct others and then show their ignorance.
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by Nobody: 9:38am On Oct 27, 2012
Berlusconi! I used to think he was untouchable
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by bestower: 9:57am On Oct 27, 2012
Tell me something the real mafian of italy jailed?ok,i guess our nigerian judges will b brave enough to pass judgement without being sentiment on our past presidents to let them realize level of corruption,indiscipline,etc while on top of affairs.great berlusconi sorry oh! *brushing my hair *
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by hollypagan: 12:41pm On Oct 27, 2012
omodapson:

Perhaps you didn't take time to read my post before passing your judgement. The story was posted when it was breaking and was not reported in details. The one year jail agreement was an aftermath. Pls, always take time to read thru before critcising.
i forgot u guys got the news this morning but mine was yester night but dnt always read the headline of breaking news try to screw it down
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by panafrican(m): 3:17pm On Oct 27, 2012
angry
Two criminals are still on the loose ,they are two former french presidents.
Jacques Chirac and Nicolas Sarkozy for having conspired to kill thousands of ivorians on purpose to
put in power Dramane Ouattara in Cote d'ivoire.
Chirac was even convicted in France for fraud (paying city employees for jobs they never held at the Mairie de Paris when he was mayor of Paris.)

1) Chirac the villain
http://www.france24.com/en/20111215-chirac-france-trial-corruption-president-mayor-france-embezzlement-guilty

2) Sarkozy from murder in Africa to campaign fraud in France http://article.wn.com/view/2012/07/04/Nicolas_Sarkozy_knew_police_would_come_looking_for_him/
Re: Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi Jailed For 4years For Tax Evasion! by pendo89(f): 7:37pm On Nov 01, 2012
HA! He has landed in kenya for holiday. grin.

(1) (Reply)

Isreal Aviation Force Battle Ready To Counter Iran Forces(pics) / North Korea Warns U.S.: We're Fully Ready To Go To War' As Trump Threatens. / Guinean President's Unconventional Security Details: Video Sparks Controversy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.