Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,733 members, 7,817,017 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! (11580 Views)

Forced Divorce In Islam / Divorce And Remarriage, Weird Laws / How Man Wives Did Muhammad Actually Have? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by ParisLove2(f): 11:10pm On Oct 28, 2012
Muhammad according to quran is the best of mankind and also the best example follow. Indeed he did lead by example, like when he married the adopted wife of his son to show it's halal for foster fathers to do the same among many others. In aya 66 Muhammad threatened to divorce all his wives, shocked the reason for doing that hopefully I'll find out. Let's get to it.
Surat At-Taĥrīm 66:1 O Prophet! Why holdest thou to be forbidden that which Allah has made lawful to thee? Thou seekest to please thy consorts. But Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
2.)Allah has already ordained for you, (O men), the dissolution of your oaths (in some cases): and Allah is your Protector, and He is Full of Knowledge and Wisdom.
66:3 When the Prophet disclosed a matter in confidence to one of his consorts, and she then divulged it (to another), and Allah made it known to him, he confirmed part thereof and repudiated a part. Then when he told her thereof, she said, "Who told thee this? "He said, "He told me Who knows and is well-acquainted (with all things)."
66:4 If ye two (wives) turn in repentance to Him, your hearts are indeed so inclined; But if ye back up each other against him, truly Allah is his Protector, and Gabriel, and (every) righteous one among those who believe,- and furthermore, the angels - will back (him) up.
66:5 It may be, if he divorced you (all), that Allah will give him in exchange consorts better than you,— who submit (their wills), who believe, who are devout, who turn to Allah in repentance, who worship (in humility), who travel (for Faith) and fast,- previously married or virgins.

1) What did the Prophet ban for himself that was lawful for him in order to please his wives?

2)What oaths did Muhammad take that Allah ordained dissolution for?

3)What did Muhammad confide in one of his wives which she divulged that caused this whole uproar?

4)Why is Hafsa and Aisha backing each other against Muhammad?

5)What could've caused so much hue and cry that the creator of this universe had to intervene with a warning to Muhammad�s wives that Muhammad would divorce all of them and He (Allah) would give him virgins and faithful wives?
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by LagosShia: 12:42am On Oct 29, 2012
The warning only has to do with Aisha and Hafsa.the other wives are not concerned.
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by Sweetnecta: 1:43am On Oct 29, 2012
@paris love; what will do after the 5 questions are answered?
will you accept guidance and follow the last prophet who is the only one to all of nations till end of time or
you will scuff at the guidance which is Islam, the chairman of prophetic office [SA] and still remain arrogant as if you are the One
Who determines success?

anyways, your presence on nairaland is a witness because you have read from so many messengers of the Messenger [SA}.
Love is not only in Paris, but the love of the Messenger [SA} by the Message is available to all mankind, except those who wish to reject it.
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by ParisLove2(f): 7:41am On Oct 29, 2012
LagosShia: The warning only has to do with Aisha and Hafsa.the other wives are not concerned.

The verse said all. 66:5 It may be, if he divorced you (all), Before you accuse me of quoting wrong translation, i got the verses from http://www.muslimaccess.com/quraan/arabic/066.asp
Sweetnecta: @paris love; what will do after the 5 questions are answered?
will you accept guidance and follow the last prophet who is the only one to all of nations till end of time or
you will scuff at the guidance which is Islam, the chairman of prophetic office [SA] and still remain arrogant as if you are the One
Who determines success?

anyways, your presence on nairaland is a witness because you have read from so many messengers of the Messenger [SA}.
Love is not only in Paris, but the love of the Messenger [SA} by the Message is available to all mankind, except those who wish to reject it.
Why all this sermons? I don't need them please and next time you wanna post on this thread let it be my answers i beg you in the name of Allah
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by LagosShia: 7:57am On Oct 29, 2012
^
The entire surah is centered around two wives only and their actions.that "all" in bracket even if is to be translated as such is a way of supposing.the surah only treats the ill actions of Aisha and Hafsa.that is evident when the word "qulobukooma" (hearts in double possessive form and not plural) is used in that same surah.
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by ParisLove2(f): 8:25am On Oct 29, 2012
LagosShia: ^
The entire surah is centered around two wives only and their actions.that "all" in bracket even if is to be translated as such is a way of supposing.the surah only treats the ill actions of Aisha and Hafsa.that is evident when the word "qulobukooma" (hearts in double possessive form and not plural) is used in that same surah.
Lol alright sir!
So what happened?
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by ParisLove2(f): 4:57pm On Oct 29, 2012
1) What did the Prophet ban for himself that was lawful for him in order to please his wives?
3)What did Muhammad confide in one of his wives which she divulged that caused this whole uproar?
5)What could've caused so much hue and cry that the creator of this universe had to intervene with a warning to Muhammad�s wives that Muhammad would divorce all of them and He (Allah) would give him virgins and faithful wives?
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by Sweetnecta: 5:00pm On Oct 29, 2012
@paris love:
by Paris-Love: 7:41am

LagosShia: The warning only has to do with Aisha and Hafsa.the other wives are not concerned.

The verse said all. 66:5 It may be, if he divorced you (all), Before you accuse me of quoting wrong translation, i got the verses from http://www.muslimaccess.com/quraan/arabic/066.asp

Sweetnecta: @paris love; what will do after the 5 questions are answered?
Who determines success?

Why all this sermons? I don't need them please and next time you wanna post on this thread let it be my answers i beg you in the name of Allah
the sermon is speech about truth that you need. how can i give you your answers which will be lying to you? you cant ask me by Allah to lie. my offer to you stands by Allah.
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by ParisLove2(f): 6:17pm On Oct 29, 2012
Sweetnecta: @paris love: the sermon is speech about truth that you need. how can i give you your answers which will be lying to you? you can ask me by Allah to lie. my offer stands by Allah.
[size=28pt]Hahahahahaha is Allah's soldier on the run? Whenever the answers starts to flow it sure promises to be sizzling!
[/size]
*grabs my pork chips*
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by maclatunji: 6:55pm On Oct 29, 2012
OP, you will continue posting until you either grow tired or become a Muslim yourself. You think the Prophet (SAW) wasn't human? Will you create a thread for each topic you read on antiIslamic websites? tongue
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by ParisLove2(f): 7:12pm On Oct 29, 2012
maclatunji: OP, you will continue posting until you either grow tired or become a Muslim yourself. You think the Prophet (SAW) wasn't human? Will you create a thread for each topic you read on antiIslamic websites? tongue
I don't know what you mean by is the Prophet not human. Isn't he the best man that walk the face of earth? The best example for all mankind to follow? So what are you re you saying? Is you guys that will start accusing someone of learning islam from non muslims. If i wanted to learn about how capitalism works should i go to Fidel Castro? wink tongue
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by LagosShia: 7:23pm On Oct 29, 2012
TAFSIR BY AYATOLLAH AGHA MEHDI POOYA FOR SURAT-AT-TAHREEM

[Shakir 66:1] O Prophet! why do you forbid (yourself) that which Allah has made lawful for you; you seek to please your wives; and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 66:1]

As a preface to this surah refer to and study carefully the commentary of Ahzab : 28 to 32, 33, 34, 35 on pages 897 to 908 in which the character pattern of the two wives referred to in this surah, A-isha and Hafsa, has been discussed in the light of the traditions reported by Bukhari and other well known Muslim scholars.

The Holy Prophet used to drink a glass of honey-syrup whenever he visited the apartment of Zaynab. A-isha and Hafsa became resentful, and A-isha devised a plot. Knowing the Holy Prophet's dislike of unpleasant smells she held her nose when he came to her apartment after drinking a glass of honey-syrup prepared by Zaynab, and accused him of having eaten the produce of a very ill-smelling tree. When she accused him of having eaten maghafir (a nauseating herb) the Holy Prophet said that he had taken only honey. She said: "The bees had fed on maghafir." When he visited Hafsa she also acted just like A-isha. Displeased with their obnoxious behaviour the Holy Prophet vowed not to eat honey any more. This is recorded by Bukhari in his commentary on Tahrim, in his Sahih, Vol. 3, p. 136. In the same place are recorded several traditions as related by Umar bin Khattab stating that the two women, A-isha and Hafsa were insolent and haughty towards the Holy Prophet.

On a day assigned to Hafsa, when she was not found in her apartment as she went to her parent's house, the Holy Prophet spent the night with Marya, the coptic girl, presented to him by the ruler of Egypt, who became the mother of his son, Ibrahim. To calm the quarrelsome bad temper of Hafsa he vowed that he would have no more to do with Marya.

The wives of the Holy Prophet were expected to show a higher standard in behaviour, as they were in the company of the superior most teacher of manners, social behaviour and etiquette.

The Holy Prophet's mind was sorely distressed by the obnoxious behaviour of A-isha and Hafsa and he renounced the society of his wives for one month. Verse one was revealed to say that as Allah has allowed him honey and Marya, he did not have to forsake any of them.

If any vow prevents from doing good or acting rightly one should expiate the vow, but not refrain from doing good deeds. For the expiation of oaths and vows see commentary of Ma-idah: 89 and for the vain oaths and vows Baqarah: 225.

Verses 3 to 5 refer to A-isha and Hafsa who were envious and jealous to the point of sickness against the Holy Prophet's refined and highminded wives. Once Hafsa came to know about a very personal matter concerning the Holy Prophet which he thought should not be made public, therefore he asked her not to publish it. But she at once rushed to her friend A-isha and whispered to her a version which was in great part untrue. Hafsa who betrayed confidence and A-isha who encouraged the betrayal were commanded to turn in repentance to Allah. If they were to resist repentance and amends, they would be abetting each other's crime but could not harm the most perfect messenger of Allah whom all the spiritual forces always surrounded to protect from every type of slander and falsehood. Please refer to Kanz al Ummal, vol. 6 p. 294 and Ibn Sad's Tabaqat, vol.8, p. 115.

Salihul muminin, "the (most) righteous among the believers" refers to Imam Ali according to Tafsir Durr al Manthur by Jalal al Din al Suyuti, Tafsir al Husayni, Kamaluddin Husayn Kashifi and Hayat ul Awliya.

Aqa Mahdi Puya says:

To make a vow to do a thing which one has the option to do or not to do is permissible in Islam if there is good in it.

A husband can accommodate his wife's legitimate desires to a reasonable extent. Ma-idah: 89 gives details of expiation for cancelling the oath.

The recommendation in verse 2 to the Holy Prophet to dissolve his oath is put forward in view of the insolent behaviour of A-isha and Hafsa described in verse 3. The tone of the first two verses is like Tawba : 43 wherein hypocrites have been blamed for falsehood.

Refer to the commentary of the verses of Ahzab mentioned above on pages 897 to 907 particularly Aqa Mahdi Puya's note on page 899. The Prophet had discretionary power to divorce any or all his wives, and if he did so Allah would give him good women as his wives in place of the existing wives, who were, in view of verse 5, ordinary women harbouring envy, jealousy, and ill-will against others; particularly A-isha's hostility towards Ali Ibn abi Talib has been recorded by all the well known historians. See commentary of Ahzab on pages 897 to 907. At last she led an army of insurgents against him in the battle of Jamal. See details of this battle in the Early History of Islam by Dr. Safdar Husain. At that time there were better women of character and integrity than the wives of the Holy Prophet. The evil demonstrated by the two has been described as sufficient transgression to be condemned to the fire of hell; so the believing and obedient wives of the Holy Prophet are warned to save themselves from a fire whose fuel is men and stones as stated in Baqarah: 24.

When verse 6 was recited by the Holy Prophet a man stood up and said: "I try my best to make the members of my family follow the commands of Allah, do good and avoid evil, but my advice falls on deaf ears and they-do not obey."

The Holy Prophet said:

"Blessed is he who teaches righteousness and the commands of Allah to his family. If they do not listen to you, they shall be the fuel of the fire. You are safe because you have done your duty."

It is written in Minhajus Sadiqin that when those who have done good deeds and believed in Allah will be rewarded on the day of judgement, they will pray to Allah to bless him more and give him more reward who taught them the true teachings of Allah, His Prophet and Ahl ul Bayt and showed them how to follow them in letter and spirit. Reverse will be the fate of those heads of the families who did not do their duty to their families. All of them will be the fuel of the fire.

The punishment the disbelievers will undergo is the result of their disbelief and evil deeds. It is the fruit of their own misdeeds, the result of their own deliberate choice.

http://quran.al-islam.org/
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by LagosShia: 7:35pm On Oct 29, 2012
maclatunji: OP, you will continue posting until you either grow tired or become a Muslim yourself. You think the Prophet (SAW) wasn't human? Will you create a thread for each topic you read on antiIslamic websites? tongue

Sura 66 have nothing to do with human nature in terms of trying to attribute any weakness to the Prophet (sa) for being human.on the contrary,as the above tafsir explains,the sura exposes the schemings of Aisha and Hafsa.whatever promise the Prophet (sa) made was not forbidden.but since the intentions of the two is based on jealousy and ill-feelings,the verses came to expose them.furthermore,in the same sura,they are said to have had "hearts that swayed (from faith)" and therefore they should repent.what is noteworthy is that there is no subsequent verse revealed to vindicate them or declare that they have repent and are forgiven,as we see in other Quranic narrations where Allah (swt) vindicates His servants and write off what they were earlier charged with.

Here comes in the Shia-Sunni differences through the respective positions on Aisha and Hafsa.to the Shia,Aisha's rebellious attitude and ill-actions continued by her disobeying the Prophet's (sa) order for her not to wage war after his demise.she went ahead to wage the Battle of Jamal against Imam Ali (as).so we can see clear divine wisdom and prophecy in the making why Aisha after being described as having a "heart swaying from faith",she was not vindicated,absolved or cleared of that charge with the revelation of a Quran verse. She disobeyed the will of the Prophet (sa) that she shouldn't go to war and she must observe the Quranic injunction that his wives maintain modesty within their houses.Sunnis on the other hand find excuses to cover up for Aisha and avoid certain historical facts.
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by Sweetnecta: 7:44pm On Oct 29, 2012
@paris love:
by Paris-Love: 6:17pm

Sweetnecta: @paris love: the sermon is speech about truth that you need. how can i give you your answers which will be lying to you? you can ask me by Allah to lie. my offer stands by Allah.

Hahahahahaha is Allah's soldier on the run? Whenever the answers starts to flow it sure promises to be sizzling!
for te love of paris does not know what he wants. he earlier said the opposite of what he said here now. they call people like you flip flopper[s]. i will only give you the truth and it will not be your truth, if you are talking about islam.

*grabs my pork chips*
easy on the pork rinds. something that simple can kill. bush almost choked on something that simple while in the presidency.
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by ParisLove2(f): 8:31pm On Oct 29, 2012
Sweetnecta: @paris love: for te love of paris does not know what he wants. he earlier said the opposite of what he said here now. they call people like you flip flopper[s]. i will only give you the truth and it will not be your truth, if you are talking about islam.

easy on the pork rinds. something that simple can kill. bush almost choked on something that simple while in the presidency.
Grow some balls like lagoshia and answer the damn question. Lol, never knew you were this economical with your answers given the fact they're quite lengthy
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by ParisLove2(f): 8:40pm On Oct 29, 2012
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by Sweetnecta: 9:27pm On Oct 29, 2012
@paris love;
by Paris-Love: 8:31pm

Grow some balls like lagoshia and answer the damn question. Lol, never knew you were this economical with your answers given the fact they're quite lengthy
your story is like pierre in the middle. so what lagosshia gave you is not enough? when you take my offer, i will answer you questions, InshaAllah. it will be short and sweet.
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by ParisLove2(f): 9:35pm On Oct 29, 2012
Sweetnecta: @paris love; your story is like pierre in the middle. so what lagosshia gave you is not enough? when you take my offer, i will answer you questions, InshaAllah. it will be short and sweet.
I don't understand much of what he's saying. I don't know how that answers any of my question. From the little i did, he's saying Muhammad had an extra marital affair?
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by LagosShia: 9:54pm On Oct 29, 2012
Paris-Love:

I don't understand much of what he's saying. I don't know how that answers any of my question. From the little i did, he's saying Muhammad had an extra marital affair?

I'm sincerely sorry to say but you be serious mumu! Or you think you're trying to be smart?
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by ParisLove2(f): 11:05pm On Oct 29, 2012
LagosShia:

I'm sincerely sorry to say but you be serious mumu! Or you think you're trying to be smart?

Maybe you didn't read it before copying.
On a day assigned to Hafsa, when she was not found in her apartment as she went to her parent's house,the Holy Prophet spent the night with Marya, the coptic girl, presented to him by the ruler of Egypt, who became the mother of his son, Ibrahim. shocked shocked To calm the quarrelsome bad temper of Hafsa he vowed thathe would have no more to do with Marya.
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by LagosShia: 11:50pm On Oct 29, 2012
Paris-Love:

Maybe you didn't read it before copying.
On a day assigned to Hafsa, when she was not found in her apartment as she went to her parent's house,the Holy Prophet spent the night with Marya, the coptic girl, presented to him by the ruler of Egypt, who became the mother of his son, Ibrahim. shocked shocked To calm the quarrelsome bad temper of Hafsa he vowed thathe would have no more to do with Marya.

So who is Marya (ra)? Is she not one of the "mothers of the believers" as well? She was a wife too.unfortunately,Hafsa and Aisha looked down upon her because she was a slave that was gifted to the Prophet (sa).he accepted her and she embraced Islam from christianity.he vowed he would avoid Marya (ra)-to please Hafsa-when his good intentions are triggered by the ill-intentions of Hafsa.he could decide to avoid a wife for a period of time if he so wishes.yet again the verses revealed came down to check the excesses of Aisha and Hafsa.one of the reasons those two were also jealous of Marya (ra) was because she bore the Prophet (sa) a child while they were barren.
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by ParisLove2(f): 7:32am On Oct 30, 2012
LagosShia:

So who is Marya (ra)? Is she not one of the "mothers of the believers" as well? She was a wife too.unfortunately,Hafsa and Aisha looked down upon her because she was a slave that was gifted to the Prophet (sa).he accepted her and she embraced Islam from christianity.he vowed he would avoid Marya (ra)-to please Hafsa-when his good intentions are triggered by the ill-intentions of Hafsa.he could decide to avoid a wife for a period of time if he so wishes.yet again the verses revealed came down to check the excesses of Aisha and Hafsa.one of the reasons those two were also jealous of Marya (ra) was because she bore the Prophet (sa) a child while they were barren.
iIf she was a wife why all this drama? Again On a day assigned to Hafsa, when she was not foundin her apartment as she went to her parent's house,the Holy Prophet spent the night with Marya, the coptic girl, presented to him by the ruler of Egypt, who became the mother of his son, Ibrahim.
The tasfir you quoted said nno where that marya was a wife. You're just saying whatever you like to save face. At one Place you say she's a slave, at another you say she's a wife. The Prophet never Payed her dower, she was a slave girl Presented to him by the ruler of Egypt.
Why would the Prophet treat another wife unfairly just because others are angry? Did he forget surah4:3 that said deal justly with all your wives?
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by LagosShia: 12:10pm On Oct 30, 2012
Paris-Love:
iIf she was a wife why all this drama? Again On a day assigned to Hafsa, when she was not foundin her apartment as she went to her parent's house,the Holy Prophet spent the night with Marya, the coptic girl, presented to him by the ruler of Egypt, who became the mother of his son, Ibrahim.
The tasfir you quoted said nno where that marya was a wife. You're just saying whatever you like to save face. At one Place you say she's a slave, at another you say she's a wife. The Prophet never Payed her dower, she was a slave girl Presented to him by the ruler of Egypt.
Why would the Prophet treat another wife unfairly just because others are angry? Did he forget surah4:3 that said deal justly with all your wives?

So you mean a slave girl cannot become a wife? She had no dower because usually slave girls who are married by muslims,embrace Islam and their freedom become their dowry. And you mean a man cannot decide to stay with the wife he wants to stay with? Besides,the decision to avoid Marya (ra) stems from the fact that the Prophet (sa) was meant to stay with Hafsa.that got Hafsa jealous (because she was replaced).now if the actions and intentions of Hafsa were innocent then the Prophet (sa) was doing justice to Hafsa.but the verses came to expose Hafsa alongside Aisha of their ill-motives.upon the revelation of the verses,and the Prophet (sa) who is surrounded by divine guidance,eventually did no injustice to Marya (as).the ill-motives of the two wives got "nipped in the bud" and Marya (ra) faced no injustice thanks to divine guidance through the revelation of the verses.
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by vedaxcool(m): 2:38pm On Oct 30, 2012
Paris-Love:
Muhammad according to quran is the best of mankind and also the best example follow. Indeed he did lead by example, like when he married the adopted wife of his son to show it's halal for foster fathers to do the same among many others. In aya 66 Muhammad threatened to divorce all his wives, shocked the reason for doing that hopefully I'll find out. Let's get to it.
Surat At-Taĥrīm 66:1 O Prophet! Why holdest thou to be forbidden that which Allah has made lawful to thee? Thou seekest to please thy consorts. But Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
2.)Allah has already ordained for you, (O men), the dissolution of your oaths (in some cases): and Allah is your Protector, and He is Full of Knowledge and Wisdom.
66:3 When the Prophet disclosed a matter in confidence to one of his consorts, and she then divulged it (to another), and Allah made it known to him, he confirmed part thereof and repudiated a part. Then when he told her thereof, she said, "Who told thee this? "He said, "He told me Who knows and is well-acquainted (with all things)."
66:4 If ye two (wives) turn in repentance to Him, your hearts are indeed so inclined; But if ye back up each other against him, truly Allah is his Protector, and Gabriel, and (every) righteous one among those who believe,- and furthermore, the angels - will back (him) up.
66:5 It may be, if he divorced you (all), that Allah will give him in exchange consorts better than you,— who submit (their wills), who believe, who are devout, who turn to Allah in repentance, who worship (in humility), who travel (for Faith) and fast,- previously married or virgins.

The incident has been related in Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Da'ud, Nasa'i and several other books of Hadith from Hadrat `A'ishah herself and its purport is as follows:

“The Holy Prophet (upon whom be peace) usually paid a daily visit to all his wives after the `Asr Prayer Once it so happened that he began to stay in the house of Hadrat Zainab bint-Jahsh longer than usual, for she had received some honey from somewhere as a gift and the Holy Prophet was very fond of sweet things; therefore, he would have a drink of honey at her house. Hadrat 'A'ishah states that she felt envious of this and spoke to Hadrat Hafsah, Hadrat Saudah and Hadrat Safiyyah about it and together they decided that whoever of them was visited by the Holy Prophet, she should say to him: 'Your mouth smells of maghafir ' Maghafir is a kind of flower, which gives out an offensive smell, and if the bee obtains honey from it, it is also tainted by the same odor. They all knew that the Holy Prophet was a man of very fine taste and he abhorred that he should emit any kind of unpleasant smell. There fore, this device was contrived to stop him from staying in the house of Hadrat Zainab and it worked. When several of his wives told him that his mouth smelt of Maghafir, he made a promise not to use the honey any longer. In one tradition his words are to the effect "Now, I will never have a drink from it: I have sworn an oath. " In another tradition he only said: "I will never have a drink from it," and there is no mention of the oath And in the tradition which Ibn al Mundhir, Ibn Abi Hatim, Tabarani and Ibn Marduyah have related from Ibn 'Abbas the words are to the effect: "By God, I will not drink it!"

Paris-Love:

"Now, I will never have a drink from it: I have sworn an oath. " In another tradition he only said: "I will never have a drink from it,"

Paris-Love:

it is not right to investigate it, for it is on the disclosure of a secret that Allah is taking a wife to task it cannot therefore be right for us to inquire into it and try to uncover it.
Paris-Love:

In two words Human nature.
Paris-Love:

The Creator intervened because unlike the bible where Jesus calls his own mother woman, and his father did not correct him, Allah made it clear the necessity of why wives must obey and respect their husbands. and this is how revelation is to be, not when we read in the Old testament a father sleeping with his daughter and yet no reprove or rebuke!
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by vedaxcool(m): 2:44pm On Oct 30, 2012
First, that the powers to prescribe the bounds of the lawful and the unlawful, the permissible and the forbidden, are entirely and absolutely in the hand of Allah and nothing has been delegated even to the Prophet of Allah himself, not to speak of any other man. The Prophet as such can declare something lawful or unlawful only if he receives an inspiration from Allah to do so whether that inspiration is embodied in the Qur'an, or imparted to, him secretly. However, even the Prophet is not authorized to declare anything made permissible by Allah unlawful by himself, much less to say of another man.

Second, that in any society the position of a Prophet is very delicate. A minor incident experienced by an ordinary man in his life may not be of any consequence, but it assumes the status of law when experienced by a Prophet. That is why the lives of the Prophets have been kept under close supervision by Allah so that none of their acts, not even a most trivial one, may deviate from Divine Will. Whenever such an act has emanated from a Prophet, it was rectified and rectified immediately so that the Islamic law and its principles should reach the people in their absolute purity not only through the Divine Book but also through the excellent example of the Prophet, and they should include nothing which may be in disagreement with Divine Will,

Thirdly, and this automatically follows from the above mentioned point, that when the Holy Prophet (upon whom be peace) was checked on a minor thing, which was not only corrected but also recorded, it gives us complete satisfaction that whatever actions and commands and instructions we now find in the pure life of the Holy Prophet concerning which there is nothing on record in the nature of criticism or correction from Allah, they are wholly based on truth, are in complete conformity with Divine Will and we can draw guidance from them with full confidence and peace of mind.

The fourth thing that we learn from this discourse is that about the Holy Messenger himself, whose reverence and respect Allah Himself has enjoined as a necessary part of the Faith of His servants, it has been stated in this Surah that once during his sacred life he made a thing declared lawful by Allah unlawful for himself only to please his wives; then Allah has severely reproved for their errors those very wives of the Holy Prophet, whom He Himself has declared as mothers of the faithful and worthy of the highest esteem and honor by them. Then, this criticism of the Prophet and the administration of the warning to the wives also has not been made secretly but included in the Book, which the entire Ummah has to read and recite for ever. Obviously, neither the intention of making mention of it in the Book of Allah was, nor it could be, that Allah wanted to degrade His Messenger and the mothers of the faithful in the eyes of the believers; and this also is obvious that no Muslim has lost respect for them, in his heart after reading this Surah of the Qur'an. Now, there cannot be any other reason of mentioning this thing in the Qur'an than that Allah wants to acquaint the believers with the correct manner of reverence for their great personalities. The Prophet is a Prophet, not God, that he may commit no error. Respect of the Prophet has not been enjoined because he is infallible, but because he is a perfect representative of Divine Will, and Allah has not permitted any of his errors to pass by unnoticed. This gives us the satisfaction that the noble pattern of life left by the Prophet wholly and fully represents the will of Allah. Likewise, the Companions of the holy wives of the Prophet, were human, not angels or super men. They could commit mistakes. Whatever ranks they achieved became possible only because the guidance given by Allah and the training imparted by Allah's Messenger had moulded them into the finest models. Whatever esteem and reverence they deserve is on this very basis and not on the presumption that they were infallible. For this reason, whenever in the sacred lifetime of the Prophet (upon him be peace) the Companions or holy wives happened to commit an error due to human weakness, they were checked. Some of their errors were corrected by the Holy Prophet, as has been mentioned at many places in the Hadith; some other errors were mentioned in the Qur'an and Allah Himself corrected them so that the Muslims might not form any exaggerated notion of the respect and reverence of their elders and great men, which might raise them from humanity to the position of gods and goddesses.

In surah An-Nur, in connection with the Slander against Hadrat Aisha, the Companions were told,

"When you heard of it, why did not the believing men and the believing women have a good opinion of themselves, and why did they not say: this is a manifest slander?......Were it not for Allah's grace and mercy towards you in this world and in the Hereafter, a painful scourge would have visited you because of the slander. (Just consider) when you passed this lie on from one tongue to the other and uttered with your mouths that of which you had no knowledge. You took it as a trifling matter whereas it was a grave offense in the sight of Allah. Why did you not, as soon as you heard of it, say 'It is not proper for us to utter such a thing? Glory be to Allah! This is a great slander'."Allah admonishes you that in future you should never repeat anything like this, if you are true believers." (vv. 12-I7).

at least the nasibis should learn from the Qur'an rather than grave worshipping scholars

1 Like

Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by ParisLove2(f): 3:49pm On Oct 30, 2012
Alright, so which of the above answers should i take? This whole uproar was because Muhammad slept with Hafsa according to Lagoshia or because of some honey according to Vedax? It's quite confusing
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by LagosShia: 6:31pm On Oct 30, 2012
Paris-Love:
Alright, so which of the above answers should i take? This whole uproar was because Muhammad slept with Hafsa according to Lagoshia or because of some honey according to Vedax? It's quite confusing

Go back to the tafsir (commentary) I earlier presented.there is nothing confusing.the jealousy and insolence of Aisha and Hafsa relating to Surat-at-Tahreem relate to 3 incidents that were exposed and warning issued.they are 1) the issue of the Prophet (sa) eating honey 2) the jealosy of Marya (ra) 3) the secret that Hafsa leaked. If you go through the tafseer you will see that the incidents are gradually explained in relation to the verses of the chapter.I am treating the entire chapter and that is what the tafsir also presented (a complete explanation of the entire surah but also breaking down the occurrences relating them to the relevant verses within the chapter).
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by ParisLove2(f): 2:36am On Oct 31, 2012
ne-day Muhammad goes to Hafsa's house and upon setting gaze at her maid Mariyah, he finds her attractive and decides to get laid. He sends Hafsa to Omar's house, telling her that her father wanted to see her (a lie). When Hafsa leaves, Muhammad takes Mariyah to bed and has intercourse with her. Meanwhile Hafsa, who finds out that her father was not expecting her, returns home much sooner than expected, and to her surprise finds her illustrious husband in bed with her maid.
She becomes hysteric and forgetting the station of the prophet she shouts and causes a scandal. The prophet pleads with her to calm down and promises not to sleep with Mariah again and bades her also not to divulge that secret to others.
Hafsa would not control herself and relays everything to Ayisha who also turns against the prophet and jointly with his other wives cause him much anguish. So the prophet decides to punish all of them by not sleeping with them for one month. Depriving one's wives sexually is the second step of punishment recommended in the Quran. The firststep is admonishing them, the second step is depriving them of sex and the third step is beating them. Q.4:34 .
Of course when a Muslim man decides to punish a wife through sexual deprivation he still can satisfy his sexual urges with his other wives. However Muhammad was angry with all of his wives for having ganged up against him and on the spur of the moment he made the oath not to sleep with anyof them for one month. That of course would have been too much hardship for the beloved messengerof God. Therefore God in his mercy comes to the aid of his prophet and reveals the Surah Tahrim (Banning). In this Surah Allah gently rebukes Muhammad for being so hard on himself and for depriving himself from what he really likes and has been made lawful to him, in order to please his wives.
66:4 If ye two (wives) turn in repentance to Him, your hearts are indeed so inclined; But if ye back upeach other against him, truly Allah is his Protector, and Gabriel, and (every) righteous one among thosewho believe,- and furthermore, the angels - will back (him) up.

Although Muhammad gave his word to Hafsa, not to have sex with her maid, he could not resist the temptation. Especially now that he had taken another oath not to sleep with all of his wives. It wasa difficult situation. On one hand he had to keep up his word or risk losing face and on the other he was not the kind of man that liked to deprive himself of pleasures. A solution had to be found and no one but Allah could help him. Well, nothing is impossiblewhen you are the prophet of Allah. Leave everything in the hands of the Almighty and let himtake care of it. And that is exactly what Muhammad did. Allah himself intervened and gave his favorite prophet the green light to follow his heart's desire. In the Surah Tahrim God licensed his beloved prophet to have his fling and not pay attention to his wives. What can a prophet ask more? Allah was so concerned about Muhammad's carnal pleasures that he even allowed ALL MEN to break their oaths as a bounty. Subhanillah. Isn't Allah great? grin
It is also worthy of mention that Muhammad who came to know that Hafsa did reveal the secret to Aisha, lied to her by pretending that it was Allah who told him so (verse 3) while he actually learned it from Aisha.
In reaction to the above verses, Ayisha, who was notonly young and pretty but also clever, is reported to have said to Muhammad, "Your God indeed rushes in coming to your aid!"
Explaining the Surah Tahrim (66) Omar is reported to have said:
Bukhari Volume 3, Book 43, Number 648:
The Prophet did not go to his wives because of the secret which Hafsa had disclosed to 'Aisha, and he said that he would not go to his wives for one monthas he was angry with them when Allah admonished him (for his oath that he would not approach Mariyah).

This story must have been embarrassing for Muhammad's followers even when they gobbled mindlessly everything he told them. So they made other hadiths to explain those verses of the Quran that were already explained by Omar.
Sahih Muslim Book 009, Number 3496:
'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) narrated that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) used to spend time with Zainab daughter of Jahsh and drank honey at her house. She ('A'isha further) said:I and Hafsa agreed that one whom Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) would visit first should say: I notice that you have an odour of the Maghafir (gum of mimosa). He (the Holy Prophet) visited one of them and she said to him like this, whereupon hesaid: I have taken honey in the house of Zainab bint Jabsh and I will never do it again. It was at this (that the following verse was revealed): 'Why do you holdto be forbidden what Allah has made lawful for you...(up to). If you both ('A'isha and Hafsa) turn to Allah" up to:" And when the Holy Prophet confided an information to one of his wives" (lxvi. 3). This refers to his saying: But I have taken honey.
Also Sahih Muslim Book 009, Number 3497:

The existence of the above Hadith and its differencewith the one narrated by Omar reveals yet another fact that the companions of Muhammad were willingto lie, (as Muslims are today) to preserve the image of their prophet from blemish. It would be foolish to accept the excuse of drinking honey to justify those verses. Honey does not leave a bad smell. It is also inconceivable that a trivial incident like drinking honey could cause such an uproar in the household of the prophet to the extend that he decides to divorce all of his wives or to punish them for one month by not sleeping with them. Could such an insignificant incident like drinking honey provoke somuch hue and cry that the creator of this universe had to intervene with a warning to Muhammad's wives that Muhammad would divorce all of them and He (Allah) would give him virgins and faithful wives? This explanation is absurd unless honey is the code word for something else that the prophet found between the legs of Mariyah.
I rest my case cool
Link
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by Nobody: 8:07am On Oct 31, 2012
@paris -love What is the source of this malicious fairytale? Can you quote a recognized Islamic source for this fiction
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by proo212(m): 8:20am On Oct 31, 2012
Paris_Love you do well. I like how you left this till after the somersaults of Lagosshia, Sweetnecta and Vedaxcool. Lagosshia, mentioned that the Coptic slave girl's dowry was her freedom and she embraced Islam. This confirms what we have always known even happening today that as a non-muslim, in a majority Muslim state, you will be subdued unless you embrace Islam. I guess she had no choice even to pay Jizya because she was a slave girl...

@Abubello, the hadiths and Quran have been referenced to show this
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by maclatunji: 8:24am On Oct 31, 2012
Paris-Love:
I don't know what you mean by is the Prophet not human. Isn't he the best man that walk the face of earth? The best example for all mankind to follow? So what are you re you saying? Is you guys that will start accusing someone of learning islam from non muslims. If i wanted to learn about how capitalism works should i go to Fidel Castro? wink tongue

The best of mankind remains human- silly. He can and will have disagreements with his wives. There are several instances that prove that the Prophet (SAW) was nothing but human. The fact that God selected him as his Prophet and Messenger is a blessing and not his doing. Your entire argument is childish to say the least.
Re: Why Did Muhammad Threaten To Divorce All His Wives?! by maclatunji: 8:32am On Oct 31, 2012
LagosShia:

Sura 66 have nothing to do with human nature in terms of trying to attribute any weakness to the Prophet (sa) for being human.on the contrary,as the above tafsir explains,the sura exposes the schemings of Aisha and Hafsa.whatever promise the Prophet (sa) made was not forbidden.but since the intentions of the two is based on jealousy and ill-feelings,the verses came to expose them.furthermore,in the same sura,they are said to have had "hearts that swayed (from faith)" and therefore they should repent.what is noteworthy is that there is no subsequent verse revealed to vindicate them or declare that they have repent and are forgiven,as we see in other Quranic narrations where Allah (swt) vindicates His servants and write off what they were earlier charged with.

Here comes in the Shia-Sunni differences through the respective positions on Aisha and Hafsa.to the Shia,Aisha's rebellious attitude and ill-actions continued by her disobeying the Prophet's (sa) order for her not to wage war after his demise.she went ahead to wage the Battle of Jamal against Imam Ali (as).so we can see clear divine wisdom and prophecy in the making why Aisha after being described as having a "heart swaying from faith",she was not vindicated,absolved or cleared of that charge with the revelation of a Quran verse. She disobeyed the will of the Prophet (sa) that she shouldn't go to war and she must observe the Quranic injunction that his wives maintain modesty within their houses.Sunnis on the other hand find excuses to cover up for Aisha and avoid certain historical facts.

Whatever you decide to think of the wives of the Prophet (May Allah be pleased with them), the fact remains the Prophet (SAW) was upset about the entire episode. That is human nature- you're not making progress with these your antics- grow up!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"My Faith In Islam Is Nearly Gone" - Any Advice For Her? / Death Of Jesus,evidence From The Quran. / Muslim Converts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.