Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,902 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? (5868 Views)

South West Nigeria An Envy Of Other Regions / Why Can't Other Regions Be Like The Middlebelt? / I Hate Poverty, Seeing Me In A Private Jet Shouldn’t Be A Big Deal – Okorocha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Nobody: 1:02am On Oct 29, 2012
One of the recurrent themes in the Igbo-vs-everyone threads that I see here in Nairaland is the point of Igbos living outside the SE in mass numbers and showing off/being unfriendly to their hosts. Another often-commented position in this is that the SE is the most uninhabitable region in all of Nigeria, thus the impression of Igbos running away and leaving their homelands in a backward state.

Reading all of these assertions one would think that:

1. There is no abundance of non-Igbos living in the south-east, living and working in peace, with everyone minding their business.
2. The vast majority of Nigerian regions outside the south-east are far from being remote, rural, and underdeveloped.
3. There are no other Nigerian groups known for their migratory culture.
4. That the SE really is the worst and most uninhabitable region in Nigeria.

I also don't get why Igbos are being shouted down and accused of being unsavory guests. I hardly see evidence of this when Igbos are compared to other Nigerian groups. No, I seriously don't.

What I find interesting here is that expatriates do MUCH MUCH worse than what Igbos are being accused of (in terms of being ungrateful "immigrants" ). As much as this is true (and I can prove it) they are left relatively unscathed in the political heat. What's the deal?

I also find it funny that I am speaking of Igbos as if they are foreigners or something. I thought the whole idea of the events during 1967-1970 was to emphasize greatly that Igbos were Nigerians through and through?

4 Likes

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Callotti: 1:15am On Oct 29, 2012
If your name is 'nnena'. . . I don't suppose you can objectively comment on anything relating to "Igbo". . .
Just sayin'. . . .Halitosis is least perceived from the malodorous source!
I hope you understand?
No offence! kiss

*sighs. . . .another "Igbo" thread*

Now to the "Beaf". . . .

3 Likes

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Callotti: 1:16am On Oct 29, 2012
One of the recurrent themes in the Igbo-vs-everyone threads that I see here in Nairaland is the point of Igbos living outside the SE in mass numbers and showing off/being unfriendly to their hosts.

Yes.

Another often-commented position in this is that the SE is the most inhabitable region in all of Nigeria, thus the impression of Igbos running away and leaving their homelands in a backward state.

Yes.

Reading all of these assertions would think that:

After reading. . . people are still entitled to their opinions. . . just like you are.
Agreement or disagreements can arise. kiss

1. There is no abundance of non-Igbos living in the south-east, living and working in peace, with everyone minding their business.

Hell no! Who wanno live in such places? undecided

2. The vast majority of Nigerian regions outside the south-east are far from being remote, rural, and underdeveloped.

False. But one would think that with all their 'high-sense' and 'otimkpu-isms'. . . .the Igbo Chinese and Igbo Jews would own the world bank!

Name one. kiss

4. That the SE really is the worst and most inhabitable region in Nigeria.

FACT! Travel and see. THE VERY WORST!

I also don't get why Igbos are being shouted down and accused of being unsavory guests. I hardly see evidence of this when Igbos are compared to other Nigerian groups. No, I seriously don't.

If you can't see. . . then you need 'glasses'! kiss

What I find interesting here is that expatriates do MUCH MUCH worse than what Igbos are being accused of (in terms of being ungrateful "immigrants" ). As much as this is true (and I can prove it) they are left relatively unscathed in the political heat. What's the deal?

You lack focus. . . not to mention objectivity. If you want a 'sympathy party'. . . just say so!

I also find it funny that I am speaking of Igbos as if they are foreigners or something. I thought the whole idea of the events during 1967-1970 was to emphasize greatly that Igbos were Nigerians through and through?

Only one question after careful deliberation. . . .
WHAT IS YOUR HIGHEST LEVEL OF EDUCATIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT?

8 Likes

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Nobody: 1:20am On Oct 29, 2012
Callotti: If your name is 'nnena'. . . I don't suppose you can objectively comment on anything relating to "Igbo". . .
Just sayin'. . . .Halitosis is least perceived from the malodorous source!
I hope you understand?
No offence! kiss

*sighs. . . .another "Igbo" thread*

Now to the "Beaf". . . .

Not anymore than a non-Igbo (such as yourself) can comment on anything related to Igbo, I guess.

But I understand - you don't have to comment on this yet-another-Igbo thread if you don't want to. kiss

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Nobody: 1:20am On Oct 29, 2012
Why do Igbos go around taunting their hosts?
Only Igbos claim to own 90% of Las gidi, 100% of Kano, 99% of Kaduna, 95% of Jos etc.
I don't see others making such ludicrous claims.

There are more hausa/fulani in Lagos than Igbos,
how come they don't taunt their hosts like Igbos?

Igbos make too much noise and they have a death wish. undecided

9 Likes

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Nobody: 1:22am On Oct 29, 2012
Why do Igbos have a death wish? undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Callotti: 1:24am On Oct 29, 2012
nnenna.1:

Not anymore than a non-Igbo (such as yourself) can comment on anything related to Igbo, I guess.

But I understand - you don't have to comment on this yet-another-Igbo thread if you don't want to. kiss

Tautology!
It is an interesting topic. . . . with relevance to Nigeria. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THE USE OF IGBO. . . like it makes for a 'special' case-study? Nothing special about the Igbos really. . . .or any other ethnic group in Nigeria for that matter.
I find this interesting ONLY because YOU referenced Nigeria in your assay. kiss
Oh no! I DON'T go where I can't use my brains. . . trust moi!
Too many intellectual latrines/SHALANGAS on NL.
Thanks for the originality.

If it were a 'local' Igbo thread aka 'welcome to aba roads' or 'Peter Obi dances Azonto for charity'. . . . . it would have no generic appeal. . . only for the 'bushmeats' who care about such sardine-can topics.

I only do generic topics! . . . AKA NIGERIAN TOPICS!
This happens to be one. . . .minus the 'Igbotic' ingridient used to cook the Nigerian soup!
Thank you! kiss

1 Like

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by CyberG: 3:24am On Oct 29, 2012
Callotti:

Yes.

Yes.

After reading. . . people are still entitled to their opinions. . . just like you are.
Agreement or disagreements can arise. kiss

Hell no! Who wanno live in such places? undecided

False. But one would think that with all their 'high-sense' and 'otimkpu-isms'. . . .the Igbo Chinese and Igbo Jews would own the world bank!

Name one. kiss

FACT! Travel and see. THE VERY WORST!

If you can't see. . . then you need 'glasses'! kiss

You lack focus. . . not to mention objectivity. If you want a 'sympathy party'. . . just say so!

Only one question after careful deliberation. . . .
WHAT IS YOUR HIGHEST LEVEL OF EDUCATIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT?

^^^^ iboz be wary before you run your mouth emptily and proudly because this lady will surely take you to the cleaners with her sharp incisive points. I hope any ibo bigot who wants to debate her will not resort to insults and name calling when he or she comes up short and outclassed!
Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Callotti: 3:59am On Oct 29, 2012
CyberG:

^^^^ iboz be wary before you run your mouth emptily and proudly because this lady will surely take you to the cleaners with her sharp incisive points. I hope any ibo bigot who wants to debate her will not resort to insults and name calling when he or she comes up short and outclassed!

Mu ha ha ha ha ha ha grin
Dat na sure banker!
The only consolation for 'losers'. . . is to resort to name-calling and insults!

1 Like

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by wissezy: 3:59am On Oct 29, 2012
Op, nice thread. Ignore em haters. They only know how to spew shits here on nairaland.
Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Nobody: 4:08am On Oct 29, 2012
CyberG:

She actually didn't say much though. Unless you equate one-line diss/insults with "sharp points."

As I have told her before (to which she had responded courteously before editing her posts dozens of times and going off the usual deep-end) - she doesn't have to respond to this "igbotic" thread if it is bothersome for her.

It's funny how all of the responses here have not answered any one of my questions sensibly (whether to agree or disagree).

Still waiting....

1 Like

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Truckpusher(m): 5:21am On Oct 29, 2012
Going by your topic ;They have expansionist tendency and a hidden agenda to infiltrate all other smaller neighboring tribes and make them igbos by force,this agenda was fully noticed during the civil war, if you doubt me ask the Ikwerres and the Ogba people of Rivers State their ordeal ever since their forefathers came into contact with the igbos during the slave trade era,they are one people that knows the igbos like the back of their hand.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by cjrane: 5:21am On Oct 29, 2012
Many millions of yorrobbers live in Onitsha,Asaba,Aba,Enugu and Port Harcourt. Infact they are so in hospitable to their hosts that their trade mark road rage style of driving and abuses on other co-road users is well known in these cities.
Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Truckpusher(m): 5:30am On Oct 29, 2012
cjrane: Many millions of yorrobbers live in Onitsha,Asaba,Aba,Enugu and Port Harcourt. Infact they are so in hospitable to their hosts that their trade mark road rage style of driving and abuses on other co-road users is well known in these cities.
You see! i told you guys he just mentioned Port Harcourt,Does Port Harcourt belong to the Igbos? Igbos are land grabbers.

5 Likes

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by buffny: 5:47am On Oct 29, 2012
cus fucking igbos are conceited usurpers.

always trying to advance their own agenda in ur village.

like who needs that.

Bleep of.
Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by dayokanu(m): 5:49am On Oct 29, 2012
Because Igbos are not even destroying everywhere they go

They bring all manner of crime never known before to their host. Kidnapping, armed robbery, drug trafficking, filthiness, and even Cannibalism

Everyone wants Igbos to go back to the caves they came from

1 Like

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Nobody: 5:55am On Oct 29, 2012
Truckpusher: Going by your topic ;They have expansionist tendency and a hidden agenda to infiltrate all other smaller neighboring tribes and make them igbos by force,this agenda was fully noticed during the civil war, if you doubt me ask the Ikwerres and the Ogba people of Rivers State their ordeal ever since their forefathers came into contact with the igbos during the slave trade era,they are one people that knows the igbos like the back of their hand.

How have Igbos been any more expansionist than other ethnic groups?

See one of the reasons for this thread is for us to discuss how Igbos are uniquely hostile to their hosts or wherever they migrate to. Enough so that Igbos living outside the SE are subject to such scrutiny compared to other migrants.

Incidentally, I have also read comments here in Nairaland referring to Igbos as historical slaves to other groups in the south-south. Is this not true anymore, or are Igbos now expansionist colonizers? What is the truth?

And if Igbos were domineering wouldn't it have been prudent for Nigerians to allow them secede when the opportunity was most ripe (sans the South-South, of course)? I mean the best chance was served on a silver platter at one point - what with Igbos all but virtually disappearing from most regions outside the SE.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Nobody: 5:59am On Oct 29, 2012
dayokanu: Because Igbos are not even destroying everywhere they go

They bring all manner of crime never known before to their host. Kidnapping, armed robbery, drug trafficking, filthiness, and even Cannibalism

Everyone wants Igbos to go back to the caves they came from

nnenna.1:

Wouldn't it have been prudent for Nigerians to allow them secede when the opportunity was most ripe? I mean the best chance was served on a silver platter at one point - what with Igbos all but virtually disappearing from most regions outside the SE. Why didn't they take advantage of this opportunity?

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by dayokanu(m): 6:06am On Oct 29, 2012
Nobody would stop Igbos from leaving as long as they dont take whats not their along

And incase you dont know Igbos are the scum of the earth the worst specie of human
Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Nobody: 6:11am On Oct 29, 2012
dayokanu: Nobody would stop Igbos from leaving as long as they dont take whats not their along

And incase you dont know Igbos are the scum of the earth the worst specie of human

Assuming this, why didn't this occur when Igbo-land was effectivly rendered land-locked during the war all the way to how Nigeria saw fit? At that point, they had nothing that was not theirs, per what you mean (I think).

Why were they forced back into the union at that, only to be told that they are not wanted, or that they are scum, as you put it?

Makes very little sense.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Nobody: 6:19am On Oct 29, 2012
As I mentioned in my first post I point out the fact that expatriates have historically done WORSE to their Nigerian hosts (till today) - much worse than what Igbos are being accused of - without any backlash.

We even have evidence of Nigerian leaders as far back as pre-independence begging their colonizers not to give independence to Nigeria.

Interesting dynamic there...

Heck, I can even give examples of a couple of Nigerian ethnic groups who have also been known for this so called expansionism (using very brutal and violent means too). Funny they don't get as much media backlash!
Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Onlytruth(m): 6:24am On Oct 29, 2012
nnenna.1:

Assuming this, why didn't this occur when Igbo-land was effectivly rendered land-locked during the war all the way to how Nigeria saw fit? At that point, they had nothing that was not theirs, per what you mean (I think).

Why were they forced back into the union at that, only to be told that they are not wanted, or that they are scum, as you put it?

Makes very little sense.

Nne what you are saying would sound like ROCKET SCIENCE to the man you are talking to.
His IQ is not higher than that of a chimp. He fails are the most basic logic. I saw a chimp doing maths in one documentary. That guy can't string together two logical instruments. I would advise you to ignore him.

BTW thanks for this GREAT thread! kiss cool
Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Nobody: 6:25am On Oct 29, 2012
Truckpusher: You see! i told you guys he just mentioned Port Harcourt,Does Port Harcourt belong to the Igbos? Igbos are land grabbers.

Most Igbos don't regard Port Harcourt as an Igbo town and you know it.

In any case, you'd be interested to find that many of those cosigning your quoted post here will in the same breath call Port Harcourt people inyamiris and refer to places such as Aluu as Igbo towns. Don't believe me? A simple search in Nairaland will do.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Onlytruth(m): 6:27am On Oct 29, 2012
nnenna.1:

Most Igbos don't regard Port Harcourt as an Igbo town and you know it.

In any case, you'd be interest to find that many of those cosigning your quoted post here will in the same breath call Port Harcourt people inyamiris and refer to places such as Aluu as Igbo towns.
Don't believe me? A simple search in Nairaland will do.

It becomes an Igbo town whenever they want to demonize it for devious reasons, but reverts to "minority land" when they want to exploit it, because they know they cannot exploit an "Igbo town".

3 Likes

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Nobody: 6:33am On Oct 29, 2012
Another Igbo whining thread looking for empathy. I've never seen anything like this till I joined nairaland.

Igbos are now big spending "expatriates" in Nigeria, and they deserve utmost hospitality wherever they go to "invest" their "billions of dollars" despite being utterly disrespectful to their hosts, no?

These people are weird! undecided
Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by lagcity(m): 6:41am On Oct 29, 2012
Nobody cares about Igbo living anywhere. But some nairaland igbos make false claims of being the lifeblood of Yoruba n Hausa cities. In return, igbos are told to go and give life to their own cities first before becoming "lifeblood" to foreign cities. This issue wouldn't come up without the false claims made by some delusional igbos.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Nobody: 6:43am On Oct 29, 2012
Malcolm-X:
Another Igbo whining thread looking for empathy. I've never seen anything like this till I joined nairaland.

Igbos are now big spending "expatriates" in Nigeria, and they deserve utmost hospitality wherever they go to "invest" their "billions of dollars" despite being utterly disrespectful to their hosts, no?

These people are weird! undecided

Ha! You didn't even get my point at all since you answered in the way that you did.

You are the second person who has implied that expatriates deserve the utmost hospitality even when they treat their hosts like rubbish (and they actually do treat Nigerians like animals). It's ok - the first person making this point was worse. He implied that they deserve to be worshiped despite all odds.

Keep it coming guys!
Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by aljharem(m): 6:45am On Oct 29, 2012
lagcity: Nobody cares about Igbo living anywhere. But some nairaland igbos make false claims of being the lifeblood of Yoruba n Hausa cities. In return, igbos are told to go and give life to their own cities first before becoming "lifeblood" to foreign cities. This issue wouldn't come up without the false claims made by some delusional igbos.

+ 1000000

nnenna.1 that is your answer
Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Nobody: 6:45am On Oct 29, 2012
nnenna.1:
One of the recurrent themes in the Igbo-vs-everyone threads that I see here in Nairaland is the point of Igbos living outside the SE in mass numbers and showing off/being unfriendly to their hosts. Another often-commented position in this is that the SE is the most uninhabitable region in all of Nigeria, thus the impression of Igbos running away and leaving their homelands in a backward state.

No, it isn't Igbo vs. Everyone, it's Igbos abusing "everyone" and "everyone" reacting back to Igbos to shut them up. Igbos are too lousy for crying out loud, even Chinua Achebe made the same assertion. You get the energy you give out. Igbos are the architects of their own misfortunes! And the SE is worse than other parts of Nigeria except the North; the crime rate in the SE should be the highest in the world after Somalia.

Reading all of these assertions one would think that:

4. That the SE really is the worst and most uninhabitable region in Nigeria.

How many non-Igbos live in the SE in comparison to Igbos scattered all over Nigeria?

Igbos need to be shouted down because they talk too much and they are empty barrels. You'd think Igboland was Dubai the way Igbos talk about it everyday, but we all know that's far from the truth. No one wants to listen to lousy freaks everyday!

Do Igbos have the investment power of the expatriates? And how many expats have threatened to take other people's lands in Nigeria?

No one is stopping Igbos now, just make sure you don't clinch others' lands with yours on your way out. undecided

When you guys stop whining and start questioning some of your disrespectful utterances and your insolent way of life, maybe then, other won't care about you. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Nobody: 6:49am On Oct 29, 2012
nnenna.1:

Ha! You didn't even get my point at all since you answered in the way that you did.

You are the second person who has implied that expatriates deserve the utmost hospitality even when they treat their hosts like rubbish (and they actually do treat Nigerians like animals). It's ok - the first person making this point was worse. He implied that they deserve to be worshiped despite all odds.

Keep it coming guys!

Expats didn't beg to come to your country, you begged them to come; so, you have to treat them with utmost respect because you need their investment/money. No one asked Igbos to come to their lands, they came by virtue of being Nigerians, and they have to respect their hosts. If Igbos don't like the way they are treated, no one is stopping them from going back to the SE.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Nobody: 6:55am On Oct 29, 2012
This thread is another superiority contest thread.

Comparing Igbos and expatriates is just dumb and silly.

What investments do Igbos bring to other parts of Nigeria apart from petty trading? The same Igbos who receive monthly allocation from the FG have now become expats with investments, you can't make this up!

Igbos and their idiosyncrasies! It makes you wonder if some of these people actually went through the four walls of a school. undecided
Re: Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions? by Nobody: 6:59am On Oct 29, 2012
lagcity: Nobody cares about Igbo living anywhere. But some nairaland igbos make false claims of being the lifeblood of Yoruba n Hausa cities. In return, igbos are told to go and give life to their own cities first before becoming "lifeblood" to foreign cities. This issue wouldn't come up without the false claims made by some delusional igbos.

And what is false about the above? Aren't occupants of a given place the life-blood of any city they reside in regardless of tribal affiliation? Aren't Igbos as much of an importance to Lagos in their numbers alongside other groups that also live in Lagos? If Hausas and Yorubas want to claim to be life-bloods in any SE city they are within their God-given rights to do so being Nigerians, as long as it does not translate to outright hate, violence and hostility (such as what we have seen with other migrant groups in other places in Nigeria).

Many other groups also make assertions of self-praise about themselves in many respects so I actually do not see how this is a problem that translates to hatred of other groups.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Anambra State & Delta State To Host ( Niger Mega City) / SE Has Shoot Themselves In The Foot / Ugwuanyi Inaugurates Committee On Creation Of Autonomous Communities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.