Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,645 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? (12914 Views)

How A Nairalander Landed In D Hospital Due To Mosquito Bite..photos / Turkish Airlines Staff Dies In Istanbul Due To Nigerian Mosquito Bite (Photo) / Can Mosquito Bite Give You Hiv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Iaz93: 3:35pm On Oct 30, 2012
okpara ugo:

What a speedy condemnation!
hmmmm. But, NEXT......

it's the truth na
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by jpphilips(m): 3:37pm On Oct 30, 2012
mumumugu: Its like mosquito prefer one person to another

each time i sleep, they come out from WHEREVER and ravage my legs and hand and suck away

however,those i sleep under the same roof and in the same bed arent afected while my body is swolen.

Why do they prefer to suck my blood and leave others and how can i make them loose interest in me.?

Quit sleeping under the bridge
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Oct 30, 2012
Wow, didn't know we had a couple of scientists on here.

Mosquito ko? Banana ni? undecided

Lol@Jp philips.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by mcevans1(m): 3:40pm On Oct 30, 2012
virtuoso01: I read somewhere not quite long ago that mosquitoes are attracted to people with AA Genotype much more than other Genotypes.

You can find out more about that.

That's not true! I am AS and mosquitos suck the hell out of me more than my siblings. Im always the one falling sick
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Itulah(m): 3:47pm On Oct 30, 2012
Your blood has zero percentage of alcoholic content. Studies shows that people that drink oftenly has high resistance to mosquitoes as they don't suck or bit alcoholic concentrated blood. In other word, if they drink am them go high.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by ITbomb(m): 4:02pm On Oct 30, 2012
I believe it has to do with the genotype
Certain blood type radiate certain wavelength which attracts the mosquitoes.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by holysina(m): 4:07pm On Oct 30, 2012
Research proves that mosquitoes are attracted to people who eat banana always
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Oct 30, 2012
I have no clue why I get biten by mosquitoes more than any other person with me, but they all appreciate the fact that they don't get many bites in my presence. My boyfriend used to say that he doesn't get biten by mosquitoes because he's black so they can't see him, whereas I'm white and so mosquitoes can see me ;-)! Apparently not so true lol
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by anintia(m): 4:08pm On Oct 30, 2012
Its the way they sing in the ears thats so annoying
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by olaolaking: 4:13pm On Oct 30, 2012
It is partial on the part of the mosquito. Corruption in Nigeria extends to them
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by sucezTP(f): 4:47pm On Oct 30, 2012
ignis: The truth is that mosquito bite some people and they don't realize it. On the other hand, mosquito bite on others is very obvious.

yeah, right!
I don't even know if mosquitoes bite me or not.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Morgan1092(m): 4:52pm On Oct 30, 2012
searay: It's because you always sleep in the MOSQUE- the home of MOSQUitos
Lolz.....
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by atrix4g(m): 5:04pm On Oct 30, 2012
To dose sayin banana atracts mosquito kai na pure lie i love banana eat banana but i only hear dier buzzes dey dont bite me nd @op try not to shave d hair on ur limbs xpecially or all physically visible hair cos wen d mosquito lands on ur skin dier proboscis wont be able to penetrate ur skin.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by KINGwax(m): 5:12pm On Oct 30, 2012
omiobo: gringrin. Mtschew! At this your age,u dey complain of mosquito,wey you suppose dey use to them. Mosquitos are my best friend,they keep my company every time, and I always join their company.
u be winch? Besides, mosquitoes are attracted by the d scent u emit
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by vivaciousvivi(f): 5:19pm On Oct 30, 2012
This has got to be the dumbest thread on NL so far! tongue
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 30, 2012
vivacious vivi: This has got to be the dumbest thread on NL so far! tongue
Pls kindly state your reasons.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by delishpot: 5:28pm On Oct 30, 2012
yuzedo: Op: Sharrapppp!!! You dey mad! Moskinto no dey bight you but you dey clame. angry

Moskinto bight only us ajebo chidrens because we eat fanta, egg, eyescream, goody-goody, etc. So awa blood she is fresh and helty. And awa skin she is fine and smooth like fried rice and shampain.cool wink smiley

But u dis jungle boys and girls eat fufu, amala, cabin, bananan and granot so muskinto don't bighted una cos you razz like awilo! angry

Eyescream? Epic. lol. You win nairaland got talent. Hahaha

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Telthetruth(m): 5:34pm On Oct 30, 2012
First pray. Do you pay your tithes? If not you need to do so quickly. Then read 1 John 13. Only then will mosquitoes stop biting you.

You are welcome in advance!

What has tithing got to do wit mosquitoes
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by mmmustapha(m): 5:43pm On Oct 30, 2012
mumumugu: Its like mosquito prefer one person to another

each time i sleep, they come out from WHEREVER and ravage my legs and hand and suck away

however,those i sleep under the same roof and in the same bed arent afected while my body is swolen.

Why do they prefer to suck my blood and leave others and how can i make them loose interest in me.?
d reason is your blood is very sweet 4 them
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by YOUNGBOss3(m): 6:53pm On Oct 30, 2012
Basic: Mosquitoes aren't selective about who to bite. What happens is that our skins and systems detect and react differently to mosquito bites.

Thank you bro.Best comment so far.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 30, 2012
Basic:
Stop talking trash. Mosquitoes don't discriminate, and they can bite anyone to stupor - AA, AS, or SS. But the fact is that, AS and SS bloods are resistant to the malaria parasite (plasmodium).
So, even if 100 mosquitoes bite an AS subject and only 20 bite an AA subject, the latter will manifest signs of malaria earlier than the former.

you are the one thats incorrect.... mosquitoes dont bite me, usually in the evenings when i have shorts on, people who have trousers on would be complaining about bites form these insects, but never me because it doesnt bite me.

You should really mind your language..... you are talking
trash!!!
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by true2god: 6:55pm On Oct 30, 2012
Nightshift: Certainly, the 25 billion+ mosquitoes in Lagos aren't choosy,they bite people without discrimination. Even in busses and taxis, the story is same. Word....
Where did u get ur 25billion statistics? Did u conduct census on moskirros? Mtcheeeeewwww!
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Oct 30, 2012
Food Scientist claim if you have recently eaten banana you are more prone to mosquito bite.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by dayokanu(m): 7:15pm On Oct 30, 2012
Are you sure these are mosquitoes or witches from your village
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by smileyprin(m): 8:24pm On Oct 30, 2012
infotrust: Scientific research has shown that mosquitoes bite some people more than others for several reasons, including the smells that those people give off, the chemicals on those people's skin and even how much carbon dioxide they emit while breathing. Experts estimate that mosquitoes are highly attracted to about 10 percent of all people, with those people's genetics accounting for about 85 percent of their attractiveness to mosquitoes. Other research suggests that people who are less attractive to mosquitoes emit smells and chemicals that repel the insects. As of 2012, there still was much that was not known about why mosquitoes bite some people more than others and what the people who are bitten more can do about it.
Why Mosquitoes Bite

Only female mosquitoes bite people. They do it for the blood, which contains protein and nutrients that they need either to produce eggs at all or to produce a larger batch of eggs. Before each time they produce a batch of eggs, they will seek out a blood meal. For regular meals, they feed on nectar and other juices produced by plants.
Finding Prey

A female mosquito begins locating prey by detecting carbon dioxide, which is emitted by animals when they exhale and through their skin. The mosquito uses an antenna-like structure called a maxillary palp to detect carbon dioxide from as far as 164 feet (50 m) away. At closer distances, it uses a feathery antenna to identify certain chemicals, and its nose is perforated with many tiny holes that the odors in the air can penetrate. After the mosquito has found a concentration of carbon dioxide being emitted by a person, the mosquito's sensory receptors tell it whether the combination of chemicals and odors being emitted by that person make him or her suitable prey.
Substances That Attract

Research suggests that, in addition to carbon dioxide, some of the substances that people produce and that attract mosquitoes are sweat, lactic acid, uric acid and a chemical called octenol. Lactic acid is emitted through the skin, especially during exercise. Uric acid is a product of the body metabolizing certain proteins, and most of it is excreted in urine, but excess uric acid can build up under the skin. Octenol is present in a person's sweat and breath.

Some people produce greater quantities of these substances, so mosquitoes bite some people more than others. Very large people and pregnant women generally breathe out more carbon dioxide, so they tend to be bitten more often. People who exercise outdoors produce more lactic acid, sweat more and breathe more heavily, so they also tend to suffer more mosquito bites. Many perfumes and deodorants that people to mask their natural body odors also are believed to be attractive to mosquitoes.
Substances that Repel

Commercial mosquito repellants contain various chemicals — such as N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide, better known as DEET — that are believed to turn away mosquitoes by masking the user's body chemicals or by inhibiting the insects' sensory organs. Some research suggests, however, that certain substances already found on certain people's skin make those people less attractive to mosquitoes. Two such chemicals are known as geranyl acetone and 6-methyl-5-hepten-2-one. Scientists have looked into the origin of these chemicals — namely, whether they are produced by the body, obtained from the environment or a combination of those methods. The existence of these chemicals found on some people's skin suggests that mosquitoes bite some people more than others not only because some people are more attractive to mosquitoes, but also because some people naturally repel them.

http://www.wisegeek.com/why-do-mosquitoes-bite-some-people-more-than-others.htm
Gud post mate...i can relate with some of ur points.....exercising outdoors nd odas.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by segebobo: 10:24pm On Oct 30, 2012
Skin bacteria affect how attractive we
smell to malarial mosquitoes
Check this page → www.seunojo..com/2011/12/skin-bacteria-affect-how-attractive-we.html?m=1 for more details
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Fidtad: 10:26pm On Oct 30, 2012
2 million: na only one question wer d op ask na it make u d write all dis essay?
Child talk. so u mean u cann't learn anything from what he post.
u are dumb.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Emychina(m): 10:49pm On Oct 30, 2012
yuzedo: Op: Sharrapppp!!! You dey mad! Moskinto no dey bight you but you dey clame. angry

Moskinto bight only us ajebo chidrens because we eat fanta, egg, eyescream, goody-goody, etc. So awa blood she is fresh and helty. And awa skin she is fine and smooth like fried rice and shampain.cool wink smiley

But u dis jungle boys and girls eat fufu, amala, cabin, bananan and granot so muskinto don't bighted una cos you razz like awilo! angry
dis person u are too funny.i lyk u

1 Like

Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by ACM10: 11:24pm On Oct 30, 2012
virtuoso01: I read somewhere not quite long ago that mosquitoes are attracted to people with AA Genotype much more than other Genotypes.

You can find out more about that.
You might be closer to the truth. During my undergraduate years; I lived in a mosquito infested area with a close friend of mine whose blood genotype is AS. To my chagrin, mosquito hardly bites him. Whenever we are outside, mosquitoes will be mostly attracted to me.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by felifeli: 11:30pm On Oct 30, 2012
Mosquitoes don't bite Ibo people. Kai their blood bitter like bitterleaf. grin
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by InvertedHammer: 11:48pm On Oct 30, 2012
If you were to be a mosquito and have to choose between two individuals:

Person a) On condition imposed diet 0-1-0 (garri level)
Person b) On 1-1-1 (+ extra) including 5-alive, chicken and other orishirishi.

Which blood will you suck? Who no know better thing?

Some people's blood is not worth the effort

Yeah! that's me!!
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Basic(m): 6:31am On Oct 31, 2012
Ravenwolf:

you are the one thats incorrect.... mosquitoes dont bite me, usually in the evenings when i have shorts on, people who have trousers on would be complaining about bites form these insects, but never me because it doesnt bite me.

You should really mind your language..... you are talking
trash!!!

Lol, so far you're a human, I'm telling you they would have bitten you severally in the past. The fact is that, some people don't feel the pain nor manifest swellings or itches. So, your skin and system may have been deceiving you.
Also, I hope you don't sleep like a dead man. If that's the case, tell me, how can a "dead man" feel mosquito bites?
Don't argue ignorantly with proven medicoscientific facts!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ogun Ibile To Daju / Lassa Fever: Anambra Bans Drinking Of Garri / Tips On Gaining Weight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.