Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,861 members, 7,956,246 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:29 AM

Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? (5111 Views)

8 false Teachings by Churches And The Biblical Truths Concerning them. / Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Lenny5000(m): 6:58pm On Oct 31, 2012
In Biblical time, people were already using money, but GOD never asked the Children of Israel to give money as Tithe but rather crops and Livestock. Especially in Malachi that so many people Quote, God talked about food crop and how he would bless the land and their crops would not be destroyed. God specifically asked for these so that his Priest in the Temple would have food to eat especially since they don't own farmlands like the rest. So my question here is who substituted Crops and Livestock for Money? When did this Start, and Why? I hope there are some Experts here that might be able to share more light into this.
Thanks
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Joagbaje(m): 7:58pm On Oct 31, 2012
People have always given money as tithe right from bible days
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Areaboy2(m): 8:22pm On Oct 31, 2012
Tithe is the biggest religious scam.

There, I said it angry
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Caseless: 8:54pm On Oct 31, 2012
I'm sure nigerian immodest pastors edited that part of malachi that says 'crops and livestocks' and replaced it with money so that they can buy private jets, live in mansions, own companies and probably send their children abroad to study while church members live as true pictorial representation of poverty. I weep for religion these days.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Caseless: 9:04pm On Oct 31, 2012
Joagbaje: People have always given money as tithe right from bible days
u mean pple used money even when jesus was here, or which bible days are u talking about? When did money come into existence, that u said ' people have always used money as tithe right from bible days'??smh
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Sirniyeh(m): 9:15pm On Oct 31, 2012

Mr. Joe, open your bible and tell us where it is stated that people gave money as tithe. Dont be deceived! I know one day your eyes will open. You limit your reasoning and meditation to biblical history and as a result you get obsessed with erroneous myths. May the eyes of your understanding be open.
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Sirniyeh(m): 9:33pm On Oct 31, 2012
The truth about tithe is not different from my town ancient custom. In those days, there were few population but under the government of a king and the council of chiefs. It was their custom that all farmers must bring a percentage of their farm produce to the king so that the king may have food in store since the king does not work. This had become custom in different parts of the world. Thesame is what we have its record in the bible. The foolishness of the xtians emerged when they began to refer the word lord that the ancient people used for their king to God. In those days, they address king as "my lord" but because the foolish people read the word lord, they turned it to another thing. It is the highest fraud of Xtianity

1 Like

Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Lenny5000(m): 11:32pm On Oct 31, 2012
Can you show a Verse in the Bible where anybody gave Money as Tithe? I will actually send something to you for the Christmas... Thanks
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Lenny5000(m): 11:38pm On Oct 31, 2012
caseless: u mean pple used money even when jesus was here, or which bible days are u talking about? When did money come into existence, that u said ' people have always used money as tithe right from bible days'??smh

Yes money was in existence during the time of Jesus... Remember they were under Roman Occupation? They paid tax ..etc One of his disciples was a former tax collector etc. Even Jesus had to pay tax (He asked them to go fish and in the mouth of the Fish was a Coin and that was used in paying his tax.) So money was in existence quiet alright, but GOD never asked anybody to give money as Tithe.. He asked for food and livestock instead. So my question is Who Changed it? When, and Why? Thanks

By the way Money has been in existence for a very long time, even before Jesus... Joseph brothers sold him remember?

1 Like

Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Lenny5000(m): 11:44pm On Oct 31, 2012
caseless: I'm sure nigerian immodest pastors edited that part of malachi that says 'crops and livestocks' and replaced it with money so that they can buy private jets, live in mansions, own companies and probably send their children abroad to study while church members live as true pictorial representation of poverty. I weep for religion these days.....

But how can they Edit it, when it is clearly in everybody's Bible? Unless people don't read their Bible and depends on others to read and translate it for them. Also it looks as if people have actually not read the whole Malachi,,which wont take more than 20mins because if they do there might not be this great confusion going on
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Joagbaje(m): 7:13am On Nov 01, 2012
Sirniyeh:

Mr. Joe, open your bible and tell us where it is stated that people gave money as tithe.

People gave money for tithe or offering in the bible days for several reason. God accepted tithes of crops ,plant and animals for two reasons, 1. The people were predominantly farmers by default. 2.those items were needed in the temple.

But it is not every plant ,crop,and animals God accepted. Some are unclean animals. You can't imagine someone bring pig ,marijuana plant , dog, Carmel and all manner of unclean beast into the holy temple.

Those who rear unclean things have to substitute them for money either for tithe or offering. It is called redemption. You redeem it with money to fulfill the tithe purpose.

Leviticus 27:27
And if it be of an unclean beast, then he shall redeem it according to thine estimation, and shall add a fifth part of it thereto: or if it be not redeemed, then it shall be sold according to thy estimation

Leviticus 27:31
And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.

In a clearer translation (GWT)

But if it is an unclean animal, it must be bought back. The payment will be its full value plus one- fifth more. If it is not bought back, it must be sold at the value given it.

There's a special tithe of tithes also which is eaten with the priest and the poor . If you can't bring your animal to the temple ,you can convert the tithe to money also and used it for the purpose of the feast in the temple.

Deuteronomy 14:24-25
And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the Lord thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the Lord thy God hath blessed thee: 25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose:

Generally money is a medium of exchange. People gave money as tithe. Tithes is not limited to plants and animal only .People gave tithe of all their possession. Income earners give tithes as well. Everyone tithed . Because tithe belongs to God. Is a mans way of recognizing God as his source.

1 Like

Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by CrazyMan(m): 7:24am On Nov 01, 2012
Tithing is an old testament law...pastors revived it in our generation to scam members.

Did Jesus pay tithe...NO

Did his disciples pay tithe...NO

Did Jesus specifically tell us to pay tithe....NO

Did Jesus say we should love and assist our brethren...Yes.

So if we must love our brethren and assist those in need, why should I pay 10% of my sweat into the life of one rich billionaire?

Why wouldn't I just use it to assist my brethren in need.

Don't be deceived bro Joe...tithing is a scam.

1 Like

Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by 2good(m): 7:38am On Nov 01, 2012
. Can you give an evidence for this? Also don't quote offering texts and claim it to be tithe. Look for a bible verse that specifically talked about people paying money as tithe
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by 2good(m): 7:44am On Nov 01, 2012
Joagbaje:

People gave money for tithe or offering in the bible days for several reason. God accepted tithes of crops ,plant and animals for two reasons, 1. The people were predominantly farmers by default. 2.those items were needed in the temple.

But it is not every plant ,crop,and animals God accepted. Some are unclean animals. You can't imagine someone bring pig ,marijuana plant , dog, Carmel and all manner of unclean beast into the holy temple.

Those who rear unclean things have to substitute them for money either for tithe or offering. It is called redemption. You redeem it with money to fulfill the tithe purpose.

And if it be of an unclean beast, then he shall redeem it according to thine estimation, and shall add a fifth part of it thereto: or if it be not redeemed, then it shall be sold according to thy estimation

In a clearer translation (GWT)

But if it is an unclean animal, it must be bought back. The payment will be its full value plus one- fifth more. If it is not bought back, it must be sold at the value given it.

There's a special tithe of tithes also which is eaten with the priest and the poor . If you can't bring your animal to the temple ,you can convert the tithe to money also and used it for the purpose of the feast in the temple.

Deuteronomy 14:24-25
And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the Lord thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the Lord thy God hath blessed thee: 25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose:

Generally money is a medium of exchange. People gave money as tithe. Tithes is not limited to plants and animal only .People gave tithe of all their possession. Income earners give tithes as well. Everyone tithed . Because tithe belongs to God. Is a mans way of recognizing God as his source.

When did offering become thesame as tithe? Did you see the word tithe or one tenth in all the bible verses you quoted? You always try to fit verses dubiously to satisfy your interest. That is why you are a pastor I guess

1 Like

Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Joagbaje(m): 8:02am On Nov 01, 2012
Because offerings and tithes were redeemed with money. they were based in the same principles. God doesn't accept unclean things as tithes or offerings .

And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.

Hope you're clear now
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Joagbaje(m): 8:07am On Nov 01, 2012
CrazyMan: Tithing is an old testament law...pastors revived it in our generation to scam members.

Did Jesus pay tithe...NO

Did his disciples pay tithe...NO

Did Jesus specifically tell us to pay tithe....NO

Did Jesus say we should love and assist our brethren...Yes.

So if we must love our brethren and assist those in need, why should I pay 10% of my sweat into the life of one rich billionaire?

Why wouldn't I just use it to assist my brethren in need.

Don't be deceived bro Joe...tithing is a scam.

That's not the point. The question here was if money was used for tithe and I've cleared that
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by 2good(m): 8:15am On Nov 01, 2012
Joagbaje: Because offerings and tithes were redeemed with money. they were based in the same principles. God doesn't accept unclean things as tithes or offerings .

Hope you're clear now
You still did not show where bible said you can substitute money for tithe. You are deducing your claims personally in order to satisfy your interest
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by CrazyMan(m): 8:22am On Nov 01, 2012
Joagbaje:
That's not the point. The question here was if money was used for tithe and I've cleared that
No you didn't...I don't see where money was used in the passages you provided.
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Joagbaje(m): 8:22am On Nov 01, 2012
2good: You still did not show where bible said you can substitute money for tithe. You are deducing your claims personally in order to satisfy your interest

Pls don't let us go in circles. God doesn't accept unclean,blind,maimed,animals as offerings and tithes. Same principles bind the two. Such animals were redeemed by cash . To redeem means to buy it back . To buy it back means you pay money value of than animal. Not only that. People have the choice of giving money value for tithe.

Leviticus 27:30-31
"One- tenth of what comes from the land, whether grain or fruit, is holy and belongs to the LORD. 31 If you buy back any part of it, you must add one- fifth more to it.

Leviticus 27:30-31
"A tenth of the produce of the land, whether grain or fruit, is the Lord's, and is holy. 31 If anyone wants to buy back this fruit or grain, he must add a fifth to its value.

So the difference is, if you're paying money value ,you will add interest of 20% on it.
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Zikkyy(m): 8:35am On Nov 01, 2012
^^^ so you agree that nobody paid cash of 10% as tithe. Tithe in cash was always 12.5% (+ penalty).

2 Likes

Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Zikkyy(m): 8:41am On Nov 01, 2012
I want to add that Joagbaje is right to the extent that the Jews could substitute cash for 'some' agric product, but with a penalty of 20% of the value. Maybe the penalty was to discourage substitution.
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Enigma(m): 9:12am On Nov 01, 2012
^^^ Bros, correct but clarification and amplification as below.

In respect of the tithe of animals and livestock --- cash substitution was NOT acceptable at all. It had to be the tenth animal under the rod or nothing else. That tenth animal could not even be substituted for another one; if there is an attempt to substitute it, then both the original tenth animal and the intended substitute "become holy and cannot be redeemed". (e.g. Pesin wey say ah this number 10 animal na im fat pass and wan substitute am with thin number 11 --- e go lose the two both be that grin )

With respect to the tithe of agricultural produce, by default they were NOT supposed to be substituted with money. However, allowance was given to substitute with money on the condition of a PENALTY of 20% of the value of the agricultural produce.

The only time that tithe was authorised to be converted to money was when the place to go for worship was too far to carry the agricultural produce and livestock that were the tithes; in that case it was acceptable to sell the "tithes" (livestock and produce) and convert it to money ----- but then the money was not to be given to anyone (whether G.O., pastor, papa, pope or whatever); instead the "tither" was instructed to use the money to buy whatever his heart desired and generally to jollify himself and his family together with widows, orphans aliens etc. smiley

Leviticus 27 (especially the last few verses) and Deuteronomy 14 especially from verse 22.

cool

3 Likes

Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Joagbaje(m): 9:30am On Nov 01, 2012
Tithe generally was substituted with cash. Not every thing is acceptable in the temple that's only a part. People gave tithes of all things . There's things that are indivisible . You only tithe from its equivalent.

Genesis 14:20
And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

Luke 18:12
I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

Tithes of all were given in cash. Cash is a general medium of exchange
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Zikkyy(m): 9:30am On Nov 01, 2012
Enigma: ^^^ Bros, correct but clarification and amplification as below.

In respect of the tithe of animals and livestock --- cash substitution was NOT acceptable at all. It had to be the tenth animal under the rod or nothing else. That tenth animal could not even be substituted for another one; if there is an attempt to substitute it, then both the original tenth animal and the intended substitute "become holy and cannot be redeemed". (e.g. Pesin wey say ah this number 10 animal na im fat pass and wan substitute am with thin number 11 --- e go lose the two both be that grin )

No dispute sir, the reason i said 'some' agric produce. Thanks for the 'clarification and amplification' (so readers don't end up more confused) smiley.
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Joagbaje(m): 9:34am On Nov 01, 2012
Enigma: ^^^ Bros, correct but clarification and amplification as below.

The only time that tithe was authorised to be converted to money was when the place to go for worship was too far to carry the agricultural produce and livestock that were the tithes; in that case it was acceptable to sell the "tithes" (livestock and produce) and convert it to money ----- but then the money was not to be given to anyone (whether G.O., pastor, papa, pope or whatever); instead the "tither" was instructed to use the money to buy whatever his heart desired and generally to jollify himself and his family together with widows, orphans aliens etc. smiley)

That's a different one , it's a love feast. It's not the annual tithe . This is a special tithe of tithes every 3 years that they bring together to eat as a feast and the individual contribution can be converted to money as well and used to buy things for the feast
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Joagbaje(m): 9:37am On Nov 01, 2012
Zikkyy:

No dispute sir, the reason i said 'some' agric produce. Thanks for the 'clarification and amplification' (so readers don't end up more confused) smiley.

It's only devoted things that can't be redeemed. For example if an animal is devoted and it's not fit just like the case of the first fruit. You will replace it with another animal because God can't accept unfit aniimal but that unfit one can't be redeemed back , you will kill the unfit one and the new replacement. Because its already concentrated .

Leviticus 27:32-33
And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the Lord. 33 He shall not search whether it be good or bad, neither shall he change it: and if he change it at all, then both it and the change thereof shall be holy; it shall not be redeemed.
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Zikkyy(m): 9:48am On Nov 01, 2012
Joagbaje: Tithe generally was substituted with cash. Not every thing is acceptable in the temple that's only a part. People gave tithes of all things . There's things that are indivisible . You only tithe from its equivalent.

The fact that we agree with you on some aspect of tithing as practiced by the Jews does not mean you should come and cause confusion here o! angry First you say 'tithe generally was substituted with cash'. You talk like you were on ground to witness the substitution, where is the evidence for this angry

You are causing more confusion by claiming that people gave tithes of all angry What is all? You Joagbaje cannot even explain what you understand to be 'all' angry you are playing with words here with the intention to further confuse readers. Did Leviticus 27 stipulate that peeps should give tithe of all? angry Is there anything in the bible, in the Leviticus, Numbers or Deuteronomy book that was stated to be indivisible and therefore cannot be tithed or this is just your creation? Please provide examples of indivisible tithe-able items the Jews had issues with and resorted to paying equivalent.
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Zikkyy(m): 10:02am On Nov 01, 2012
Joagbaje:
Genesis 14:20
And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

I still don't understand how Abraham giving a tithe of war loot explain the reasoning that people give tithe of all things. Abraham did not gave tithe of all things; what he gave was a tithe of (all) war loot. You need to understand that when you say 'all things', it actually mean all things including their wives and children angry

Joagbaje:

You never bothered to ask yourself if all the man in Luke 18 posses was just 15 cows or a barn with 20 tubers of yam. you assume he owns the world and therefore tithed the world. We need to be careful how we interpret what we read.

Joagbaje:

How did you arrive at this conclusion?
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Zikkyy(m): 10:14am On Nov 01, 2012
Joagbaje:
That's a different one , it's a love feast. It's not the annual tithe . This is a special tithe of tithes every 3 years that they bring together to eat as a feast

There are three tithes. The third tithe is done once every three years. The requirement in Deuteronomy 14:22-27 is an annual tithe read verse 22 again;

KJV - Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

NIV - Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year.

Let me also add that there is nothing like special tithe of tithes.
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Joagbaje(m): 10:14am On Nov 01, 2012
Zikkyy:
? Please provide examples of indivisible tithe-able items the Jews had issues with and resorted to paying equivalent.

people gave tithes of money from their income . And people also redeem tithes with money. It's not every plant,crop or animal God accept for such money is given.

Concerning other income ,Luke 18 is clear on this

They tithed from all possessions and income.

Luke 18:12.( Amp)
I fast twice a week and tithe on all my income. '

Luke 18:12 (message)
I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I gain.

Luke 18:12 ( GWT)
I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my entire income. '

They pay tithes of their income.

Matthew 23:23 (NLT)
. . . For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

Matthew 23:23 (message)
. . You keep meticulous account books, tithing on every nickel and dime you get, but on the meat of God's Law, things like fairness and compassion and commitment-- the absolute basics!-- you carelessly take it or leave it. Careful bookkeeping is commendable, but the basics are required.
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Zikkyy(m): 10:21am On Nov 01, 2012
you give Joagabje a metre and he takes a kilometre angry because i agreed with you that cash was accepted you are coming up with funny posts. Now you see why peeps come at you with sliding tackles from behind even before you land just to ensure you don't make posts that will raise their blood pressure grin
Re: Concerning Tithe, Who Substituted Crops And Livestock For Money ? by Zikkyy(m): 10:31am On Nov 01, 2012
Joagbaje:
people gave tithes of money from their income .

two issues with this;

1. It is not what people gives that matters, what matters is what was commanded
2. It is not stated anywhere that peeps gave monetary tithes of their income. This has to do with what you understand by income.

Joagbaje:
And people also redeem tithes with money. It's not every plant,crop or animal God accept for such money is given.

Yes, this is possible.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Religion-freewill Paradox / Skeleton Of Goliath Like Giants Found / This Is For Those That Believe God Does Not Exist Because He Can't Be Seen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.