Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,788 members, 7,851,659 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 04:09 AM

Sorry, We Are Not From Africa – Williams Sisters - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Sorry, We Are Not From Africa – Williams Sisters (848 Views)

One Of The Greatest Gospel Singer From Africa-sonnie Badu / A Nairalander With His Beautiful Sisters. / 8 Out Of Ten World Fastest Growing Economies Are From Africa!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sorry, We Are Not From Africa – Williams Sisters by PERFECT2(m): 10:59am On Nov 01, 2012
For many African-American celebrities,visiting Africa satisfies a yearning to return to their distant ancestral homeland. Not so for tennis player Serena Williams.
“I’d love to say I’m from Africa, but we’re from the United States and we’re proud to be from there as well,” she told newsmen in Lagos on Wednesday, after a Nigerian reporter asked if perhaps she was originally from Nigeria.
“But my Mom named my sister (Venus) after an African name,” she hastily added.
The Williams sisters and their mother are in Nigeria this week to promote women’s tennis and empowerment of women on the continent.
For Venus, it is her first time in Africa.
Taking their own successes in women’s tennis, a sport which before them was dominated by white players, the sisters want to inspire women in the African continent to take up the sport and, more generally, to pursue their dreams despite whatever odds they face in maledominated societies.
“We were able to break the mould and win a lot of grand slams and change the face of tennis … when tennis was very dominated by white people,” 31-year-old Serena said three days after beating rival Maria Sharapova in the final of the WTA Championships in Istanbul.
“It doesn’t matter what your background is and where you come from, if you have dreams and goals, that’s all that matters,” she added.
The sisters later conducted tennis classes with some children at a Lagos sports club.
On Thursday [today], they will visit a school to discuss empowerment of girls then on Friday they will play an exhibition match against each other.
“We’re very excited to be playing tennis here,” Venus said.
“Of all the finals everywhere … this will be our final here in Nigeria.
“I don’t know who’s going to win but Serena just won the championship so I know she’s ready. I’ll have to play my best tennis.”

Re: Sorry, We Are Not From Africa – Williams Sisters by Nobody: 5:02pm On Nov 01, 2012
Mu he he he he he! grin

Africa don suffer.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not From Africa – Williams Sisters by UncleJJ(m): 9:12am On Nov 02, 2012
how can they be frm Africa. Ur either african or american...u cant be both.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not From Africa – Williams Sisters by hunter121: 9:32am On Nov 02, 2012
a great site,many useful information!
[img]http://bookstoday.info/go/smile.jpg[/img]
[img]http://bookstoday.info/lo/sad.jpg[/img]
Re: Sorry, We Are Not From Africa – Williams Sisters by Callotti: 3:42am On Nov 03, 2012
This reflects the sentiments of MANY Black Americans.
Kudos!
Glad to know not every Black American suffers from 'Identity Crisis'! kiss
Re: Sorry, We Are Not From Africa – Williams Sisters by wildocng(m): 4:13am On Nov 03, 2012
what a disgrace to the williams!

(1) (Reply)

History Of Illuminati / What Manner Of Man Is This? / What Would You Do With Your First One Million Naira?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.