Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? - Autos (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? (32423 Views)

Supper Clean Honda End Of Discussion, Engine not tempered, full option. N1.250M / Honda End Of Discussion 2004 Model For Sale / 2004 Honda End Of Discussion[full Optioned]v6 Engine N1.190m 08023055599 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by opedman: 5:14pm On Feb 28, 2008
Most of u guys might just be car manufacturers. whats all the automative jargon for? Simply Put. The 2004 EOD V6 Engine is matted to an extremely troublesome transmission. The engine in it self is ok, considering the amount of power and torque it pushes out. The transmission has been a major disappointment to honda , given their track record on reliability. Problem: the Wearing of locking compound on a nut on the torque converter cheesy
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by justjola(m): 1:01pm On Mar 07, 2008
broses,
i beg una dey confuse mi i love hondas but now i no know undecided if to buy end of discussion or let the discussion continue.
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by Kwibus: 11:18am On Mar 21, 2008
mennnn!! this site is d bomb thats why i like, sorry love nairaland, (very educative). Please can somebody start an argument about Oracle11g or Vb.net. I'll be very grateful. wink
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by WebJunior(m): 12:40pm On Mar 21, 2008
Kwibus:

mennnn!! this site is d bomb thats why i like, sorry love nairaland, (very educative). Please can somebody start an argument about Oracle11g or Vb.net. I'll be very grateful. wink

You want oracle, go to the programming section, https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/board-34.0.html
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by jajaopobo(m): 5:41pm On Mar 23, 2008
For all the knowledge and allegedly better communications skills that midas possesses over Ivvie, I think Ivvie is the bigger person here for not becoming personal and staying professional in all his responses.

That been said, it appears to me that Ivvie knows very clearly in his head what his points and arguments are and as valid as they may seem to him (yes, they may very well be valid), he cannot adequately convey those points to paper. This is a very common trait of a lot of acada type people that I've met in the past. Brain power is like V6 while communications is 4-cylinder. smiley smiley
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by dgun(m): 4:34pm On Sep 04, 2009
You guy's are real heating up on this Physics and mechanics, @Midas02 , we gree say u be mechanic, if Ivvie is saying something to people that dont understand him,it shouldn't be ur problem, at list the doctors and lawyer 's wont even understand him, so u chile and bye a freaking car, don't tell every body ur a mechanic, if not u get electrocuted,
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by Nobody: 11:48am On Jan 18, 2010
i need toyota rav4 2001 model for 1.2 tokunbo please contact me ASAP if u will be able to help me get the above item thanks
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by insight04: 2:31pm On Jun 07, 2010
Nice discourse
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by azpekuliar: 4:33pm On May 20, 2012
Wow! See verbose Auto-tech write-ups dey fly left, right and center. Even the mech-engineers at Stutgart and Bavaria would be green with envy at not being a part of this. Infact I hereby nominate this thread for entry in the Nairaland Auto section Hall of fame. Where do we find threads where such intellectual depth is on show these days on Nairaland, none. A true classic.
smiley
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by gulfer: 5:13pm On May 20, 2012
Yep!
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by Nobody: 10:01am On May 25, 2012
This guys midas n ivvie are da bomb. As a mechanical engineer myself i know that torque is required to move a car from an idle position after which horsepower takes over. The torque should be directly proportional to the weight of the car also. For example a big family sized SUV having same torque as a 2001 camry would take a longer time to accelerate from an idle position compared to the camry. So with that in mind torque n hp are important in cars cos none is mutually exclusive, except of course the engine is designed for a specific purpose like a bulldozer that midas use requires higher torque but fast cars like lamborghinis requires a higher hp which can get to 680hp just for speed n maximum acceleration. As a confirmed practicing mechanical engineer, this are my points. Any criticism is welcome. Thanks
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by Nobody: 11:20am On May 25, 2012
Heat and friction (wear and tear) are two factors that depletes the efficiency of a machine or car engine. Heat is caused by the slight explosion induced by the plug n mixture of fuel and air which causes the movement of the piston inside the engine block and a 4-plug engine gives off higher heat due to small volume n higher surface area while the v-6 gives of less heat but consumes more fuel and requires a lesser power to move a vehicle compared to the former. With all this in mind, the v-6 will have a higher chance of not suffering from engine wear or excess heat from engine and diminishing efficiency compared to the 4-plug. So it last longer. But the only problem i see with a v-6 is fuel consumption and no trusted engineer to fix it in times of breakdown or trouble
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by helium44(m): 4:56am On Jul 21, 2013
Ammazing thread!

... thanks for d knowledge in here, now Ive made my choice.
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by Lovechyld101(m): 7:39pm On Sep 20, 2014
This tread should be reviewed or recycled and put in the Front Page ,
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by Lovechyld101(m): 7:40pm On Sep 20, 2014
FRONT PAGE mods abeg we need more insight from people.
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by coolsegun2002: 8:58pm On Sep 20, 2014
If am not mistaken dis thread started 2008...damnnn!!! ..that's one hell of a thread....A whole bunch of jargons I only hear in movies... dis is why I hate physics...very complex course ....reminds me of the big bang thoery....
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by maroluv: 9:10pm On Sep 20, 2014
Midas tanx for dat bit of information, really educating.
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by Lovechyld101(m): 7:52am On Sep 21, 2014
Lovechyld101: This tread should be reviewed or recycled and put in the Front Page ,
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by doctork: 7:33am On Jan 14, 2016
Guys pls if anyone is still here.....what is the exact mpg for the end of discussion 2005 4plugs.seems my car is consuming more fuel.I changed o2 sensors after diagnosis but it seems there's no effect.the engine uses up oil but it dosnt smoke.could this contribute to the fuel consumption? some mechanic said I should change the indomine.Another one said the whole exhaust is bad.pls I need help.Thanks guys.
Re: Honda 'End Of Discussion': Is The V6 Engine Inferior To The I4? by naijafinder: 5:12pm On Mar 15, 2016
Midas02:
Ivvie,
I was going to just let it go, however I have to say that you obviously do not have a true understanding of what you are saying. Either you lack real world experience or true technical understanding or both! The truth is most of the things you just said have no relevance to the argument and are just car techno-jargon, secondly a good half of it is misinformation and crap!!. It is always easy to spot people who read stuff and do not actually have full experience and knowledge. I interview, spot and fire people like that frequently in my line of business. Now, I do not need to start spelling out my credentials here or anywhere, a full understanding of Internal combustion and automotive engineering concepts and not a book knowledge means I do not need technical jargon to explain stuff, I will bring it down to the level of anybody. People are not idiots even if they do not know much about cars? Understanding the concept and relationship between Torque and Power and engine speed is one of the most difficult to grasp in automotive engineering and I see you don't have it. The constipated and illogical flow of your argument exposes your confusion – to put it nicely!.
Torque = in a car is measured in (ft Ib) foot pounds - this is known and defined as the spin or twist power in other words this measures the magnitude of energy delivered to twist the crankshaft. This could also be referred to as angular acceleration.
Horsepower (HP) = Is the rate of delivery of energy. It is measured as an element of energy for instance 1HP is equals to 33,000ft Ib/min. From this definition it is easy to see that there is a relationship between Horsepower and Torque. The Power output of an engine is expressed as its torque multiplied by its rotational speed. Simply put power is the rate at which energy is transmitted. Power = Torque x Rotational speed!!
When an engine outputs power, it transmits energy in two forms - both torque and Horsepower are generated, however Internal-combustion engines produce useful torque only over a limited range of rotational speeds. Essentially, engines are designed so that most of the torque is generated in the first 1000 - 3000 RPM's and that is where it is most needed to move the mass of a car with credible acceleration. Contrary to what you think, Ivvie, torque is the biggest contributing factor to acceleration. Once the mass of the car has acquired velocity then you have momentum which means that you need less torque and more horsepower to reach and maintain a higher rotational speed.
I have already given step by step and extensive explanation in my preceding statement about how wear occurs inside internal combustion engines. Now you say that my theory about 6 cyl vs 4 cyl rate of wear is wrong and I am going to quote what you said: 

What the heck are you talking about?? These verbose and ostentatious display of gibberish techno-jargon reflects a feeble minded attempt to appear technically vast and knowledgeable but it isn’t going to work here!.  Do you even have any idea what the second law of thermodynamics says?? What does this have to do with rate of wear?? - nothing!!.  For your information the second law of thermodynamics states that:  In the layman’s language this means that it is impossible to extract energy by heat from a high-temperature energy source and then convert all of the energy into work. At least some of the energy must be passed on to heat a lower-temperature energy sink. Thus, an engine with 100% efficiency is thermodynamically impossible. It is impossible to convert heat completely into work without loss of energy.  I see you using words like “Exothermic”, “Endothermic” and “Enthalpy” and you simply can’t explain how they affect an engine!. These are all heat related terms that have no bearing whatsoever on the argument you are trying to make. But since you have mentioned heat then I will educate you - most internal combustion engines waste about 36% of the energy in gasoline as heat lost to the cooling system and perhaps another 30% through the exhaust. The rest, 20-25% is used for motion and about 6% is lost to friction - that is what the second law of thermodynamic is about in this context!. Just so that you know – Exothermic refers to systems that give up latent heat and Endothermic is the opposite (it absorbs heat). Enthalpy is simply the heat content measured as the difference between the two!. I hope you get that. Now, you said: 

Now in pure car-speak (engineering lingo aside), torque is that part of an engine output that will propel you from 0-60 in a few seconds however, anybody that knows cars knows that there is a power curve or power bandwidth within which all engines operate optimally. Which means, depending on how the engineers choose to design and tune the powerplant, there will be a trade off between maximum horsepower and maximum torque. There are obviously other factors for the engineers to consider such as purpose or function of car, transmission delivery method, final drive ratio, gearing ratio and the mass (weight) of the vehicle. As speed builds torque output peaks out and diminishes while horsepower continues to build to the peak of the engine’s power delivery curve. Thus, it is ultimately horsepower that take you to a car’s top speed and partly what enables a car to have mid-range to top-end performance!. This is why say a Bulldozer or CAT engine delivers marginal horsepower ratings but incredibly massive torque (the engine is designed to push, pull or move objects supporting loads of immense proportions, it is however not designed for speed).  However, a sports motorbike engine (e.g Honda CBR 1000FF or Suzuki GSX-R Hayabusa) isn’t tuned for great amounts of torque but it does deliver incredible horsepower for high-end  delivery because they where designed for speed with less mass and load consideration. A car's engine usually has to find a careful balance between the two depending on its purpose.
Now we could go on and on with this argument but I think I have said enough for one day. If you want to understand why engines wear – read my preceding statements. Wear is caused by only one thing Friction!! (which is a direct consequent of motion under load of course – that is why changing your engine oil frequently is so important!).  Your final statement says: I am totally at loss for words when I hear people get grandiloquent and bombastic, using technical terms without a clear understanding as to the meaning! The quoted statement above is such a load of sh*t, where is your information from?, can you show me one technical attestation to back up your Honda claims. Hondas are being used by millions of people all over the world and without going any further they will be the first to tell you that you do not know what you are talking about. "Finite element method of major drivetrain components" - what a load of crap!! - every mechanical device in the world has a finite life expectancy. Anyone reading your statements will see that there is no clear understanding and thought process being expressed. It is just hot air!!

This your information long oo. i dont no where to start from. Abeg summarize the information make i fit assimilate am.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cars / SOLD: DISTRESS SALE: Foreign Used 2007 Toyota AVALON @ 2.650m / Wheels And Tyres For Truck, Suv And Cars Available At Good Rate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.