Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,065 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? (21493 Views)

Aguyi Ironsi, Ojukwu As Young Soldiers (Throwback Photo) / Shocking!! Couple Find Dead Lizard Inside Canned Tomato Sauce (photo) / See How Aguiyi Ironsi Was Murdered In Cold Blood. (viewers Discretion Advised). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by nduchucks: 7:22pm On Nov 01, 2012
I was told that Major General Johnson Thomas Umunnakwe Aguiyi-Ironsi walked around when he was commander-in-chief with a dead, treated lizard in his hand.

Is there a cultural or political reason for this and do some Igbo's still practice this act? Did Ironsi believe that he derived some sort of supernatural power from this lizard?

Please no bashing, I simply seek to be informed.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by wissezy: 7:42pm On Nov 01, 2012
I was also told that the reason he was called Aguiyi ironsi, was because of that wooden crocodile . For me, i think it has no supernatural power. Maybe it was a symbol of his authority.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by nduchucks: 7:46pm On Nov 01, 2012
wissezy: I was also told that the reason he was called Aguiyi ironsi, was because of that wooden crocodile . For me, i think it has no supernatural power. Maybe it was a symbol of his authority.

Thanks. So Aguiyi was not his real name, I believe Aguiyi means lizard in Igbio, no?
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Dede1(m): 7:58pm On Nov 01, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Thanks. So Aguiyi was not his real name, I believe Aguiyi means lizard in Igbio, no?

This is show of shame both historically, intellectually and culturally.

3 Likes

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Abagworo(m): 8:25pm On Nov 01, 2012
Dede1:

Ndu_chucks is Fulani man bearing an Igbo moniker on Nairaland.

12 Likes

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by nduchucks: 8:30pm On Nov 01, 2012
Dede1:

I'm not following you, what's the show of shame? The fact that Ironsi carried the lizard around or something else.

@Abagworo is there some common knowledge that a Igbo person should have about the said lizard?

1 Like

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by RickyRoss1(m): 9:13pm On Nov 01, 2012
ndu_chucks:

I'm not following you, what's the show of shame? The fact that Ironsi carried the lizard around or something else.

@Abagworo is there some common knowledge that a Igbo person should have about the said lizard?

I heard the same story about Ironsi and the crocodile abi lizard as well and it doesnt call for insults anyways.

I was told it gave him some supernatural powers, but ironsi is not here to confirm such news/rumor. It has nothing to do with being Igbo. His babalawo or jujuman could be Hausa or Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Abagworo(m): 9:17pm On Nov 01, 2012
Ricky_Ross:

I heard the same story about Ironsi and the crocodile abi lizard as well and it doesnt call for insults anyways.

I was told it gave him some supernatural powers, but ironsi is not here to confirm such news/rumor. It has nothing to do with being Igbo. His babalawo or jujuman could be Hausa or Yoruba.

Aguiyi is crocodile in Igbo language and it symbolizes his name.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by danjohn: 9:41pm On Nov 01, 2012
Wonders shall never end. Aguyi is a very common Igbo name. General Ironsi's supposed lizard story should have nothing to do with his last name being "Aguyi"-Ironsi. From what I know, General Ironsi was raised by his older sister's husband. Aguyi is his biological father's last name, while Ironsi is the older sister's husband's last name. Since he saw his sister's husband as his father, he combined the two names thus naming himself Aguyi-Ironsi.

1 Like

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by dayokanu(m): 9:46pm On Nov 01, 2012
Interesting
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by patholaw: 9:59pm On Nov 01, 2012
History 101 class. grin

1 Like

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Agiliti(m): 10:03pm On Nov 01, 2012
wow....such ignorant posts especially about a former head of state

agu = lion/beast,
iyi = water/river
so aguiyi means beast of the water...or crocodile

Johnson was his sister's husbands last name and that's the name he took as his first name : Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi

the dead lizard you people are talking about is most likely his swagger stick that was carved to look like a crocodile (his name)

3 Likes

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by nku5: 10:05pm On Nov 01, 2012
It wasn't a dead lizard, it was wooden figurine crocodile that supposedly gave him supernatural powers. I heard (beer parlour gist sha) that when ty danjuma and his men came for him, that was the first thing they dispossessed him of before he could be overpowered and killed

ndu_chucks: I was told that Major General Johnson Thomas Umunnakwe Aguiyi-Ironsi walked around when he was commander-in-chief with a dead, treated lizard in his hand.

Is there a cultural or political reason for this and do some Igbo's still practice this act? Did Ironsi believe that he derived some sort of supernatural power from this lizard?

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by saintneo(m): 10:06pm On Nov 01, 2012
crap
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by naptu2: 10:06pm On Nov 01, 2012
Some of the soldiers that kidnapped him believed that the lizard gave him the power to disappear. They believed that it was the lizard that enabled him to escape when he was captured in the Congo.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by nku5: 10:14pm On Nov 01, 2012
Yes it was his swagger stick

Agiliti: wow....such ignorant posts especially about a former head of state

agu = lion/beast,
iyi = water/river
so aguiyi means beast of the water...or crocodile

Johnson was his sister's husbands last name and that's the name he took as his first name : Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi

the dead lizard you people are talking about is most likely his swagger stick that was carved to look like a crocodile (his name)
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Nov 01, 2012
Whaaat! Did I hear Lizard? Dammit! I hate that creature! "Pukes and Runs out of thread" angry
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by redsun(m): 10:29pm On Nov 01, 2012
naptu2: Some of the soldiers that kidnapped him believed that the lizard gave him the power to disappear. They believed that it was the lizard that enabled him to escape when he was captured in the Congo.

If nigerians still believe in the 21st century that witches cause flooding,i wonder what they believed in those days of real darness?

Lazurus.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by 2million1(m): 10:44pm On Nov 01, 2012
ndu_chucks: I was told that Major General Johnson Thomas Umunnakwe Aguiyi-Ironsi walked around when he was commander-in-chief with a dead, treated lizard in his hand.

ndu_chucks: I was told that Major General Johnson Thomas Umunnakwe [b]Aguiyi-Ironsi walked around when he was commander-in-chief with a dead, treated lizard in his hand.

[/b]

..thank God u said u wer told
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by AndroBlaze: 10:53pm On Nov 01, 2012
In those days and even till now, most officers carried totems/charms for their protection, not having one was even more unusual. This definitely crosses tribal boundaries even though it is more common among particular tribes serving. No big deal at all. I even know personally of a high ranking SW officer that died unnaturally and I just recently found out someone close to him substituted his charm innocently- even after his mother had warned against it.

I am surprised why any true African should be shocked at this.

2 Likes

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by kuzzieOtiz: 11:55pm On Nov 01, 2012
Is this a test? undecided
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by igboboy1(m): 12:00am On Nov 02, 2012
Abagworo:

Ndu_chucks is Fulani man bearing an Igbo moniker on Nairaland.

Wrong...he is a Yoruba bearing an igbo moniker
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Sagytarius(m): 12:01am On Nov 02, 2012
berem: Whaaat! Did I hear Lizard? Dammit! I hate that creature! "Pukes and Runs out of thread" angry

Aje buta or Aje kpako, Which one?
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by sherrylo: 12:06am On Nov 02, 2012
Whatever it was for didn't save him from Danjuma.

1 Like

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by damola1: 12:13am On Nov 02, 2012
The swagger stick with a stuffed crocodile mascot carried by Gen Aguiyi-Ironsi was called Charlie. Legends had it that the crocodile mascot made Aguiyi-Ironsi invulnerable and that it was used to dodge or deflect bullets when he was on mission in the Congo. Despite the stories, the crocodile mascot probably had something to do with the fact that the name "Aguiyi" translates into "crocodile" in Igbo.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by igboboy1(m): 12:14am On Nov 02, 2012
damola1: The swagger stick with a stuffed crocodile mascot carried by Gen Aguiyi-Ironsi was called Charlie. Legends had it that the crocodile mascot made Aguiyi-Ironsi invulnerable and that it was used to dodge or deflect bullets when he was on mission in the Congo. Despite the stories, the crocodile mascot probably had something to do with the fact that the name "Aguiyi" translates into "crocodile" in Igbo.

#wikipediathings

No wonder una dull

2 Likes

Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Nobody: 12:17am On Nov 02, 2012
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by Omuha(m): 12:25am On Nov 02, 2012
I heard he carried a staff(possibly carved as a lizard) with him as some form of charm to offer him protection & that it was secretly replaced on the day he was killed. I heard it oo.The veracity of these claims can not be ascertained!
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by damola1: 12:28am On Nov 02, 2012
igbo boy:

#wikipediathings

No wonder una dull

No wonder.. u dey ask questions wey don get answer....u sabi read at all?
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by 190theclown: 12:30am On Nov 02, 2012
How does this past change the present price of NIGERIAN GIRLS HAND BAGS angry angry
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by agohavivi(f): 12:50am On Nov 02, 2012
ndu_chucks:

aguiyi actually means water leopard and is another name for a crocodile. He probably moved about with a carved crocodile which can otherwise be referred to as his "ofo". That's what I think.
Re: Ironsi Walked Around With A Dead Lizard In His Hand, Why? by ayobase(m): 12:50am On Nov 02, 2012
Ricky_Ross:
...... Yoruba.

An act of omission or commission?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chidi Lloyd Going Blind – Pro-amechi Lawmakers / Aminu Tambuwal Of Sokoto State Inauguration (Photos) / Saraki's Trial Adjourned Due To Power Failure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.