Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,609 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid (11419 Views)

Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear / Housemaid Serving The Husband: Is It Right Or Wrong? / Family Mealtimes: Do You Eat Together? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by tobechi20(m): 12:20pm On Nov 03, 2012
I noticed most maids dont share d dining with the family members.they eat in the kitchen,at d backyard or where they sleep. Others eat only after d family members hav eaten.

Y is dis so?
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 03, 2012
tobechi20: I noticed most maids dont share d dining with the family members.they eat in the kitchen,at d bakyard or where they sleep. Others eat only after d family members hav eaten.

Y is dis so?

Abeg don't start housemaid war again, I'm out lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Nobody: 3:32pm On Nov 03, 2012
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 03, 2012
Honestly NO,no discrimination buh its just feels like an anomaly in most Nigerian psyche.our maids eat in their rooms or in the kitchen table,and sometimes on the dining table buh neva with d family.Infact 99% of nigerians don't.Nlanders talk true oh!

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 03, 2012
See question o. I think the reason is pretty obvious. They are not part of the family. It might not be the answer you want to hear but that's the reality of things.

6 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Ice4jez(m): 4:32pm On Nov 03, 2012
jidegirl12:

Abeg don't start housemaid war again, I'm out lipsrsealed
wat eating u up.abi u dey fear make pple no wash ur dirty linen for public
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Nobody: 4:33pm On Nov 03, 2012
They are called “MAIDS” idiat!!! They re suppose to serve their masters first b4 dey eat theirs... No discrimination just doing their jobs!

4 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by IYANGBALI: 4:33pm On Nov 03, 2012
No we eat with our dogs,goats,monkeys and mosquitoes. I wonder how this thrash made the front page. Iranu osi

1 Like

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Finland(m): 4:33pm On Nov 03, 2012
ItsModella: See question o. I think the reason is pretty obvious. They are not part of the family. It might not be the answer you want to hear but that's the reality of things.
Are u justifying the barbaric behaviour?
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 03, 2012
Finland:
Are u justifying the barbaric behaviour?
Barbaric? why would you qualify it as barbaric?
The truth is it's is their job to ensure that everybody is served properly before serving themselves. They are paid to do that.

1 Like

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Nobody: 4:36pm On Nov 03, 2012
To start with, how many Nigerian families actually sit together on the dinning table at the same time and eat together at the same time?

You have been watching too much Nollywood cheesy

30 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Nobody: 4:36pm On Nov 03, 2012
Ice4jez: wat eating u up.abi u dey fear make pple no wash ur dirty linen for public

Dirty linen? I no get housemaid and I never needed any when I go home , I kinda have read some threads about housemaids and it didn't end well, that's what I was trying to say.
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by k2039: 4:38pm On Nov 03, 2012
[size=13pt]
ItsModella: See question o. I think the reason is pretty obvious. It might not be the answer you want to hear but that's the reality of things.
[/size]

[size=13pt]
binger: Honestly NO,no discrimination buh its just feels like an anomaly. Infact 99% of nigerians don't.Nlanders talk true oh!
[/size]

[size=14pt]GBAM
[/size]
Op your question has been answered

3 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by ihebrooke(m): 4:39pm On Nov 03, 2012
What do we need a maid for?
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by pweeryambre: 4:40pm On Nov 03, 2012
because house maids are seen as low lifes, dirty and may carry unknown disease.. Plus they are partial slaves, made to fear the mistress and the family and never to compare themselves as equals to them. Plus d assumtion of ;if u give dem an inch they take a mile. So they cannot eat togeda.

3 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 03, 2012
ihebrooke: What do we need a maid for?

to create employment.

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by pappy2000: 4:41pm On Nov 03, 2012
uba okeke: They are called “MAIDS” idiat!!! They re suppose to serve their masters first b4 dey eat theirs... No discrimination just doing their jobs!
Yeah true talk,that has been the case for a long time. Normally one will want to say that they should be part of the family but the truth is that they are not,I met a lady online who showed me how bad Nigerian ladies are treated in cairo,some sleep in the toilet, she even showed me d pix
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Rocktation(f): 4:41pm On Nov 03, 2012
The location where they settle to eat shouldn't exactly matter if you ask me. Not because I feel that they're sub-persons, but because I know that they could be suffering worse fates by not having anything to eat at all. Personally, I don't mind not eating with the fam every once in a while too. I enjoy my company a lot.

1 Like

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Abbey2sam(m): 4:42pm On Nov 03, 2012
They are human beings too, things have changed in recent time, why cant your maid eat together with you and your family on the same table?

See them as a maid today, do you knw where they will be tomorrow?see them as familly

4 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Iaz93: 4:42pm On Nov 03, 2012
The maid is always shy. . . ..she prefers to eat in my rOOm instead...

1 Like

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Finland(m): 4:43pm On Nov 03, 2012
ItsModella:
Barbaric? why do you qualify it as barbaric?
The truth is it's is also their job to ensure that everybody is served properly before serving themselves. They are paid to do that.
In short, that is the way you treat your housemaid? shocked May God forgive you. Would you tell your own daughter to wait till after the family is served before she could eat or would u say because she cooked and served the food she must therefore go and eat in the kitchen? Are these housemaids not human beings. Why do you treat house maids with a lot of disdain? do you think they love what they are doing? it's circumstance cry .please repent if you are really like that.

6 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Reference(m): 4:46pm On Nov 03, 2012
I know where this kind of topic is going. Housemaid as distinct from househelp. The former is a professional working in your house. The answer to this is simple. Will you share the same table with the Board of Directors in your company's canteen (if they ever show up there). Most certainly, no. There will always be class differences.

If it is the informal, from the village kind of arrangement called househelp where there is no job description, no prospects and a great deal of flexibility then you are in a relationship with a great deal of liability that may warrant such human considerations.

7 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by coolestboy(m): 4:46pm On Nov 03, 2012
pDude: To start with, how many Nigerian families actually sit together on the dinning table at the same time and eat together at the same time?

i wonda ooo

1 Like

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Nobody: 4:47pm On Nov 03, 2012
in my house the house maid eat on the table and if i don't i'll force the maids to,because i see the maids the same way i see my brothers,i always tell her after work you can watch your "Yoruba Channel" as long as work is done. most Yoruba families maltreat maids its something i've come to notice.

5 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by queensmith: 4:48pm On Nov 03, 2012
pDude: To start with, how many Nigerian families actually sit together on the dinning table at the same time and eat together at the same time?

pdude has answered the question. nigerian families don't tend to eat together. everyone just throws themselves down in any position to eat. including the housemaid or whoever has cooked the food, if he/she isn't busy cleaning up in the kitchen.
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Finland(m): 4:49pm On Nov 03, 2012
Abbey2sam: They are human beings too, things have changed in recent time, why cant your maid eat together with you and your family on the same table?

See them as a maid today, do you knw where they will be tomorrow?see them as familly
Thanks for those good points. Mercy Johnson was house help to my cousins in Navy town long time ago..Today, she is far above any of them in fame and in wealth. I am not sure if they treated her badly sha!

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Nobody: 4:49pm On Nov 03, 2012
because trust me a maid can wreck your household, so i treat them with respect and besides i'm a careless mess, so i misplace stuff like hell wouldn't want them to hide my stuff out of punishing me cheesy
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Reference(m): 4:49pm On Nov 03, 2012
Abbey2sam: They are human beings too, things have changed in recent time, why cant your maid eat together with you and your family on the same table?

I can't understand why I have to seat and eat with my maid and not invite the driver and gateman in. I just can't understand. I think the basis of engagement and the characters involved matters before assessing any situation.

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by k2039: 4:50pm On Nov 03, 2012

Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Nobody: 4:51pm On Nov 03, 2012
^ incase you haven't noticed house maids, what concerns gateman and driver in the house, your point is totally off.
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Afam4eva(m): 4:53pm On Nov 03, 2012
-
Re: Does Your Family Eat Together With Housemaid by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 03, 2012
uba okeke: They are called “MAIDS” idiat!!! They re suppose to serve their masters first b4 dey eat theirs... No discrimination just doing their jobs!

F00L

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

High Blood Pressure? / Disadvantages Of Divorce / What Causes Delay In Marriages?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.