Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,973 members, 7,956,640 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 04:05 PM

Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? (9159 Views)

Only God Knows What Some Parents Are Teaching Their Grown Up Children / Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? / Some Parents Dress Their Kids Irresponsibly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by Iyaqueen(f): 1:20am On Nov 04, 2012
Na question dey ask now,.dey dint abuse him.........are u crazy? Init?
Cos wen I was small if dey ask mi dat question I ll comport myself straight away.
I don't see anything wrong in dat my dear.
Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by seedord247(m): 1:42am On Nov 04, 2012
ayobase:

How r u gonna react if called f00l...must u pple always?

And how you gonna react if i called you arrogant simpleton.
Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by Nobody: 1:57am On Nov 04, 2012
It's sad really.

People dont realize that weight of negative criticism on adults, talkless of on children.

Negative criticism has about thrice as much effect, if not more, than positive criticism.
Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by hassymo5(m): 2:36am On Nov 04, 2012
me and my girl,, felt in love and the parents dont want her to marry me being a catholic,, they insult her at every slightest opportunity, telling her that their blood preesure is now high,, they wont come to the wedding,, if she insist on marrying me and we she gives birth her childern should not come to their house and even when they die she should not come to their grave!!!! And even more,, cos she found love but the church is their problem!!!
Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by Nobody: 2:55am On Nov 04, 2012
hassymo5: me and my girl,, felt in love and the parents dont want her to marry me being a catholic,, they insult her at every slightest opportunity, telling her that their blood preesure is now high,, they wont come to the wedding,, if she insist on marrying me and we she gives birth her childern should not come to their house and even when they die she should not come to their grave!!!! And even more,, cos she found love but the church is their problem!!!

Let them continue, eventually they'll get over it when you start showing them how displease you are with their attitude.

Some parents are really distasteful.

What's that got to do with this thread tho? undecided
Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by juman(m): 4:46am On Nov 04, 2012
Rukemi291: It baffles me that a parent can actually stoop so low as to curse his/her children, no matter the level of anger.

I was in my neighbour's house some weeks back and d teenage son did something so flimsy (to me), to my greatest surprise, the father from his end shouted 'oriedaru ni? (are u crazy?)' and the mum from her own end said 'orien fa eponi? (is your head siphoning petrol?)'.

I was shocked but couldn't mutter a word.

A lot of parents do this and i think it's so wrong. Don't these kind of things affect children psychologically?

The parents did nothing wrong.
Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by nekaa(f): 8:11am On Nov 04, 2012
Knowing thats its wrong and not doing that thing that you called wrong are two different things..... BTW, those words are really mild compared to some I have heard.
Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 04, 2012
nekaa: Knowing thats its wrong and not doing that thing that you called wrong are two different things..... BTW, those words are really mild compared to some I have heard.

i can imagine some other words u have heard. Hope you don't mind sharing them?
Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by guttentag(m): 1:30pm On Nov 04, 2012
My parent are perfect example to what this thread is all about and to be honest, the act is freaking me out. my dad is the worst, sometimes i wonder if he is really my father
Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 04, 2012
guttentag: My parent are perfect example to what this thread is all about and to be honest, the act is freaking me out. my dad is the worst, sometimes i wonder if he is really my father

Don't let your parents' negative words get to you, don't get depressed. Maybe they think it's the best way to correct you, i wish they know how you feel and read these...

Bambela: This reminded me of the cause of low self-esteem which many of us have argued today. It is never good to use abusive word of any kind as a corrective measure as they tend to affect the child negatively.

*Ileke-IdI:
It's sad really.

People dont realize that weight of negative criticism on adults, talkless of on children.

Negative criticism has about thrice as much effect, if not more, than positive criticism.
Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Nov 04, 2012
picture this...

Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by toriade: 3:13pm On Nov 04, 2012
I think some parents don't know the impact of WORdS they speak, whether you are religious or not the words you speak has POWER. Using my parents as an example I honestly can't remember a single time they've used abusive words on us. When you greet my father in the morning, the first word that comes out his mouth his "May GoD bless you and keep you, may he make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you" even now that we are all grown and not living together when you call him, those words come first. Not trying to portray them perfect buh those words/prayers goes a loooong way.
Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by ayobase(m): 3:52pm On Nov 04, 2012
seedord247:

And how you gonna react if i called you arrogant simpleton.

And whats the correlation bro!
Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by Chicagok4(m): 4:43pm On Nov 04, 2012
a1solution: nothing wrong in using those words to correct a child. The bad one is when you lay curse on a child.
nothing wrong in abusing is dat wat u said? I disagree with u because there is an implication to it. All words we speak are spiritually said unknownly
Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by nonylove: 4:59pm On Nov 04, 2012
Iyaqueen: Na question dey ask now,.dey dint abuse him.........are u crazy? Init?
Cos wen I was small if dey ask mi dat question I ll comport myself straight away.
I don't see anything wrong in dat my dear.

a lot is wrong with it... dont use any negative word on ur children it doesn't help them psychologically! I never like it whenever my parent use such words... it makes me cry and got me thinking
Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by AbdulMajeed2(m): 8:19pm On Nov 04, 2012
My dad is never satisfied wit anytin I do...he's always shouting at me.
Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Nov 07, 2012
thanks MOD for moving this thread to the front page
Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by Strokery: 12:20pm On Sep 14, 2021
It is understandable that a Nigerian parent insult their child. When they were small they were abused and insulted at by their own parents, they ought to admit that the insults did not make them better but a prototype of their parents and then when they marry and get children they think tend to do the same thing on their children. They tend to think that they are "disciplining their children" when they are ruining them mentally, the cycle never breaks.
Re: Why Do Some Parents Insult Their Children? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Sep 14, 2021
It baffles me that a parent can actually stoop so low as to curse his/her children, no matter the level of anger.

I was in my neighbour's house some weeks back and d teenage son did something so flimsy (to me), to my greatest surprise, the father from his end shouted 'oriedaru ni? (are u crazy?)' and the mum from her own end said 'orien fa eponi? (is your head siphoning petrol?)'.

I was shocked but couldn't mutter a word.

A lot of parents do this and i think it's so wrong. Don't these kind of things affect children psychologically?
It's so true Sha
Looks like na our neighborhood you dey describe so?
Anyway,the best thing to do is to leave them.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tips For Christian Married Couples? / Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women / Leaving Alone As A Single Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.