Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,163 members, 7,835,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience (11237 Views)

Atiku's Son, Aminu Abubakar Marries A Ghanaian Woman (photos) / Yes We Spent 82million On Soyinka But......nddc Boss / We Spent N78m To Upgrade Fashola’s Website – LASG Insists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by Abrantie: 11:11pm On Nov 07, 2012
Kslib: Abeg. Make the op go post am for Ghanaweb too. Nice memories sha...

The article came from Ghanaweb.
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by Nobody: 11:35pm On Nov 07, 2012
This one wouldn't make front page o shocked but if it is Obasanjo kissing Patrica, or Tonto Dyke frying yam you will see it there for 1 week. Anyway....Bookmarked
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by Nobody: 12:22am On Nov 08, 2012
afam4eva:
This particular Nigerian gave an account of his stay in Nigeria. There were also Ghanians all over the country but Lagos will always have a huge chunk of them and Lagos is the closest Nigerian state to Ghana. While i was in Port-hacourt there were loads of Ghanians teachers.

you needed to be in onitsha, owerri or aba in the late seventies and early eighties
onitsha in particular was booming with ghanaians
my lecturer at uni was a ghanaian
the op only talked about his own experience.
i bet ya other ghanaians who lived in the east have equally great stories, at least they did not suffer "ghana must go".

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by Kilode1: 6:42am On Nov 08, 2012
ekt_bear: I did not realize that this country was once so sweet.

Hopefully those great years (70s and early 80s) will one day return.

It was. Mostly a blur now, I was too young. But I remember shopping at Kingsway with my parents.

I remember my Indian Science teachers ( at a public school o) and one or two Ghanaian ones too.

We can become a destination country again, but we have work to do, radical work. Gradualism won't get us there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by rasroland: 6:55am On Nov 08, 2012
mojounited: cry cry
. ya!dats tru,my fada was a teacher der2 n my mom,a nurse,dey were able 2put up a fablos mansion in cape coast n give us d best a parent can giv2dier child.long liv gh,lng liv 9ja
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by ektbear: 7:00am On Nov 08, 2012
Kilode?!:

It was. Mostly a blur now, I was too young. But I remember shopping at Kingsway with my parents.

I remember my Indian Science teachers ( at a public school o) and one or two Ghanaian ones too.

We can become a destination country again, but we have work to do, radical work. Gradualism won't get us there.

Tbh my parents have told me similar stories, about how Nigeria was nice up until the mid 1980s or so. I didn't really believe them though cheesy Especially visiting for the first time in 2000 and finding a country basically in ruins.

This third party account makes me believe a bit more.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by logica(m): 7:06am On Nov 08, 2012
afam4eva:
This particular Nigerian gave an account of his stay in Nigeria. There were also Ghanians all over the country but Lagos will always have a huge chunk of them and Lagos is the closest Nigerian state to Ghana. While i was in Port-hacourt there were loads of Ghanians teachers.
Then ask the Ghanaians you know stayed in Igbo land to write their memoirs if you have to feel left out because this one only had Yorubas to talk about. Abi?
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by Akanbiedu(m): 9:11am On Nov 10, 2012
I certainly can not forget my ghanian mathematics teacher, Mr. Adjeh. May God bless him wherever he may be.
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by Gbawe: 9:18am On Nov 10, 2012
Ghanaians love us and we love them. We are historically linked in amiability but I must admit that there are plenty of haters on both sides today. My experience with Ghanaians , in Nigeria, was fantastic. They were hardworking and dedicated. As mentioned many times, their teachers were awesome individuals very passionate about educating other.
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by passion007: 10:30am On Nov 10, 2012
ebankole: GOD BLESS U.in as much that this almost brought out some tears off my eyes i'm still thankful to be a nigerian and african.We african must learn to see ourselves as one.
very true...articles like this renew our hope that we can be one again...only say badbelle ppl no gree make we remain as one country. Na God go punish dem...

@TS: this is a very beautyful piece, kudos!
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by Gbawe: 10:34am On Nov 10, 2012
passion007: very true...articles like this renew our hope that we can be one again...only say badbelle ppl no gree make we remain as one country. Na God go punish dem...

@TS: this is a very beautyful piece, kudos!

true:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95UyWWUdY6k
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by Nobody: 11:46am On Nov 10, 2012
BBHS Abeokuta.....we had so many Ghanaian and Indian teachers then...taking sciences and maths. They turned out a great chunk of geniuses.

God bless BBHS

God bless Nigeria

God bless Ghana

1 Like

Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by Nobody: 2:12pm On Nov 10, 2012
naptu2: Some didn't believe me when I wrote on the PHCN thread that nepa or water works would announce on the radio that there would be a disruption of service and that we would phone nepa when there's an unexpected power outage and cry that we have homework and they'd restore power within 10 minutes
your comment made me realy shed tears becus we have not been havng power fo almost a month now, we ar still payng and the only comment from the PHCN staff is 'why is your bill so low' how can our bill be high when very little to nothing was supplied us to consume?

2 Likes

Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by nairabacks(f): 2:30pm On Nov 10, 2012
The 80s was a glorious time for anyone alive then.

1 Like

Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by Akanbiedu(m): 7:05pm On Nov 10, 2012
One thing I like about the foreigners that taught me in secondary school, they really took pride in their jobs. May be they came from harder circumstances and had to. I can't say the same for my Nigerian teachers who believe too much in entitlement and are always complaining about government.

1 Like

Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by Sammy107d(m): 10:44pm On Nov 10, 2012
genxris: I remember back then at st bernedettes nur/pry school ibara ,Abeokuta, most of our teachers were Ghanians and they thought us some really good accents in pronounciations ,even our headmaster Mr Appiaha was a ghanian and there was so much peace,days when 1naira was in note form and 10kobo was 20naira of today......nice memories

Mr Appiah of Abeokuta in the 80's? Hmmm
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by Slicqyprizzy(f): 6:26am On Nov 11, 2012
I was almost in tears when I read this article.
My two elder sisters were born in Nigeria, and they have Yoruba names attached to their family names.
My mum tells me so much about Nigeria. She can even speak Yoruba, up till now. I really wish to visit there some day, just to see how the place looks like.

1 Like

Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by Nebulae: 8:04am On Nov 11, 2012
Sighs....
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by Ufeolorun(m): 11:24am On Nov 11, 2012
Even some Ghanaian words sound abit like Yoruba.
Have heard Gh peeps say mehba(coming) and the popular akwaaba(welcome).Like we say minbo or mehbo(dialect) and eku abo: am coming and welcome respectively In Yoruba

1 Like

Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by doja(m): 11:46am On Nov 11, 2012
Thanks for this very good account of my dear country. God bless you .
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by otumfour(m): 12:14pm On Nov 11, 2012
shocked sad 1 mahn, wht an article embarassed .....I mean, I have met some lovely Nigerian's, trust me, Tumababa, Suntemi, soft-touch, et-al of the phone section....my question is, how did we get to this? btw.... most Nigerian's I know personally, are Yoruba's too, I used to think ALATA or ANAGO always meant Nigerian.

God bless Africa

God bless Ghana

God bless Nigeria

and oh', Bleep the negative rivalry......luv y'all, peace!!

naptu2: Some didn't believe me when I wrote on the PHCN thread that nepa or water works would announce on the radio that there would be a disruption of service and that we would phone nepa when there's an unexpected power outage and cry that we have homework and they'd restore power within 10 minutes

funny thing is, all this is done in present Ghana, u can call the E.C.G help line, if there's a power outage and their reception is 1st class, plus they make announcements on the radio if there's gonna be a power disruption for maintenance work to be done in certain areas.
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by Gbawe: 12:53pm On Nov 11, 2012
otumfour:
shocked sad 1 mahn, wht an article embarassed .....I mean, I have met some lovely Nigerian's, trust me, Tumababa, Suntemi, soft-touch, et-al of the phone section....my question is, how did we get to this? btw.... most Nigerian's I know personally, are Yoruba's too, I used to think ALATA or ANAGO always meant Nigerian.

God bless Africa

God bless Ghana

God bless Nigeria

and oh', Bleep the negative rivalry......luv y'all, peace!!

My brother, I just think our parents on both sides (Ghanaians and Nigerians) were simply more gracious and accommodating people. I think a world that is now far more competitive and less 'innocent' than the one our parents knew is making many young Africans more 'territorial', routinely hateful, unnecessarily confrontational and more eager to blame others for their woes. Also, our parents were way more humble, less radical and better peacemakers than we are today in my opinion.

The old generation (Nigerians and Ghanaians) have nothing but love for each other.

1 Like

Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by tpia1: 1:25pm On Nov 11, 2012
Most non- nigerians in nigeria tend to enjoy the place, save for maybe westerners who are used to a higher standard of living.

Nigerians are very welcoming and accommodating and can go any length for visitors.

Then again, the ghanaians of that period might have had a nice time because they mostly stayed in the southwest?

Just guessing.
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by tpia1: 1:26pm On Nov 11, 2012
Havent read the article btw.
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by UjSizzle(f): 1:28pm On Nov 11, 2012
*wipes tear* touching piece. Thank you OP smiley.

Good ol' days huh, where do we start rebuilding from? It's just too bad Nigerians have no confidence in our government that every economic policy is met with vehement opposition sad.
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by logica(m): 9:56pm On Nov 12, 2012
Slicqy prizzy: I was almost in tears when I read this article.
My two elder sisters were born in Nigeria, and they have Yoruba names attached to their family names.
My mum tells me so much about Nigeria. She can even speak Yoruba, up till now. I really wish to visit there some day, just to see how the place looks like.
Please wait a bit for us to do some house cleaning before you come. cheesy
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by Slicqyprizzy(f): 4:33am On Nov 13, 2012
^^^
There is no need for you to do some "cleaning" in your country before I come.
I mean no country is Heaven, just as my motherland is also not Heaven.

1 Like

Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by logica(m): 9:09am On Nov 13, 2012
Slicqy prizzy: ^^^
There is no need for you to do some "cleaning" in your country before I come.
I mean no country is Heaven, just as my motherland is also not Heaven.
Great! Bon voyage!
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by ektbear: 4:01pm On Nov 13, 2012
Nigerian hospitality...no be small thing ooo
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by chatterly: 3:33pm On Feb 07, 2013
mr acquah,mr bediako,mr sarpong,mr appiah,mr bounds,
My beloved primary school teachers
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by dasparrow: 5:14pm On Feb 07, 2013
@Post

I love this thread. It brought tears to my eyes. How did I ever miss this thread? I wish we can bring the good old days back. Oh how I wish..... cry
Re: All Those Glorious Years We Spent in Nigeria - A Ghanaian Experience by Patsey: 6:01pm On Mar 14, 2013
Just reading this today and I must confess, this is one of the most brilliant posts on NL. Sadly, however, it's a portrait of Nigeria's good old days which could be likened to the Psalmists recall of Zion in the following words "By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered Zion" (Psalm 137: 1). I strongly identify with the author's portrayal of Nigeria in the late 70s and 80s when I was taught by teachers from Ghana and Indian with a few Nigerian thrown in between. These foreign teachers undoubtedly knew their stuff and they delivered it! I benefited from their brilliancy as I made my straight As in my Ordinary Level and Advanced Level papers. I subsequently earned my bachelors, masters and doctoral degrees in one of the subjects the Ghanaian teachers taught me in school. Today, Nigeria's gone to the dogs. Mediocrity and incompetence is all we currently celebrate and venerate. Shame! Currently living and working in Europe, I contemplate returning home every day, but too scared to take the plunge!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking: Election Tribunal Sacks Kogi APC Senator / 178,459 AK-47 Rifles, Assorted Rifles, Pistols, Other Arms Unaccounted For / Abia Deputy Governor, Ude Oko Joins Governorship Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.