Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,262 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? (16135 Views)

Hw Long Does Your Car Tires Retain Its Air Pressure On Average / Water Or Coolant For Radiator / Does Your Car Turn Heads? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Dec 31, 2012
Black Mamba: Make:Honda Accord
Model: 2000
Year: 2000

Engine . Auto transmission.
Aircon:No.

Temperature gauge does not move an inch! water does not dry from radiator for like 3mnths running. Both fans working well.

Your coolant gauge doesn't move at any time?? When you say both fans are working, do they come on as soon as you start your engine, even when the engine's cold?
Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by BlackMamba2: 2:08pm On Jan 02, 2013
Yes both fans come on when i turn on the engine...was thinking its just a blown fuse or something although am still yet to get it checked.
Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jan 02, 2013
Black Mamba: Yes both fans come on when i turn on the engine...was thinking its just a blown fuse or something although am still yet to get it checked.

No blown fuse. I'm afraid your car's been screwed up by a Nigerian destroyer, masquerading as a mechanic. Your thermostat's been removed, and your fan thermo switch has been bridged, so your fan's run constantly.

In a nutshell, your engine's over cooling, over fuelling, and you're causing engine damage. It won't be long before it starts burning oil.
Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by grantmck: 7:10am On Jan 03, 2013
@ Siena

Hi! I have a 1994 Audi 80 2.6l V6 that has a leaking water pump. I have been given a brand new pump, still boxed, which states that it's for a late model A4. So, can you please tell me if,

A. the new pump is compatible with my engine, and

B. just how big a job is it to replace??

Thanks,
grantmck
Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by Nobody: 8:53am On Jan 03, 2013
grantmck: @ Siena

Hi! I have a 1994 Audi 80 2.6l V6 that has a leaking water pump. I have been given a brand new pump, still boxed, which states that it's for a late model A4. So, can you please tell me if,

A. the new pump is compatible with my engine, and

B. just how big a job is it to replace??

Thanks,
grantmck

If the water pump is for an Audi A4 2,6 / 2,8 V6 12V engine, it'll fit. If it's for a 2,4 / 2,8 V6 30V, it won't fit.

When you say "late model Audi A4" it's very possible it'll be for a 30V engine. The 12V was a carry over from the Audi 80, and ran from 1995 - 1997. September 1997 onwards, the 12V motor was replaced with the 30V. So it "appears" it won't fit.

It's not a quick DIY replacement. The water pump in the Audi V6 engines is internal - which means it's driven by the timing belt. So replacing it means stripping down the timing belt.

It would be extremely foolhardy to strip down the timing belt to replace the water pump, then refit the old timing belt. Really, you need to replace the timing belt, tensioners AND thermostat at the same time, as in terms of labour, it'll cost nothing (as it all needs to be stripped anyway). I doubt your timing belt has ever been replaced, and if it snaps, you might as well junk the car.

With this, it's essential you use a reputable Audi / Volkswagen garage, not a roadsider, the El Cheapo route could turn out to be an expensive mistake, if the timing isn't right after reassembly.

And please, make sure you use at a bare minimum GREEN coolant. The RED stuff is better, though for a 1994 Audi, not really essential.

Good luck!
Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by grantmck: 8:49am On Jan 04, 2013
@ Siena

Thanks ever so much so your much valued input, it's clear to see from other posts that you know what you're talking about....I'll definitely be following your advice!

Thanks again,
grantmck
Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by dandollar1: 2:33pm On Jan 04, 2013
Hello siena,happy new year.so sorry I'm derailing your thread.

I did an OBD scan for an 07 honda accord I just bought so I could know of any faults before and service before use.

The scan came up with these:

P0457...evaporative emission system leak detected(fuel cap loose/off)

P0141...02sensor heater circuit malfunction bank1 sensor2

P2185... Engine coolant temp.sensor2 circuit high.

Please are these serious problems? How do I go about fixing them?

I don't really know jack about cars as this wud be my first car,and I don't want a mechanic to work on stuffs he shudnt work on normally. Your input wud be appreciated.
Thank you sir.
Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by agabaI23(m): 9:28am On Jan 08, 2013
On a fuel queue

Please Siena, is this OK?

I posted another question in one of your threads. Please your opinion will be appreciated!

Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by akanxpress: 4:19pm On Jan 10, 2013
Oga Siena,more grease to your elbow. Sorry to derail a bit Please kindly check your hotmail. I've twice send you a mail seeking for opinion on Crysler Stratus. Can you check inbox - and advise me?
God bless you real good.
Thanks in advance
Akan
Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by MMC4Life: 10:49am On Jan 18, 2013
Siena:

No blown fuse. I'm afraid your car's been screwed up by a Nigerian destroyer, masquerading as a mechanic. Your thermostat's been removed, and your fan thermo switch has been bridged, so your fan's run constantly.

In a nutshell, your engine's over cooling, over fuelling, and you're causing engine damage. It won't be long before it starts burning oil.
Siena:

Thanks Sienna great job you are doing, More grease sir. I agree with you but what is the way forward or your advice since this damage has been done because so many of us are in this mess(Please, this guys fixing it back may not be an option because the might not even know there way again)
Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by yemosla(m): 5:52pm On Apr 25, 2013
Boss sienna pls i just purchased ǎ̜̣̍ 1998 toyota avalon slx 3.0liter engine V6 pls wat type of coolant ∂σ i need ̥†̥σ use and wats ur take on the car is it ǎ̜̣̍ good buy ? ‎​​​​»̶-̶̶ †̥ånKz-► boss
Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by 9icetoo(m): 6:59pm On Apr 25, 2013
Car: Toyota camry
year: 2002
Engine size: 2.4
Engine model: 2AZ FE
Transmission: Auto

With AC on;
Temperature gets to the halfway mark in ten to fifteen minutes.
In traffic: halfway mark 87 degrees to 90
In slow traffic: 87 to 90 degrees
Highway speed: 80 degrees (approaches 90 sometimes, then drops again to 80).{this is based on my calculation of the gradients on my temperature indicator. I assume the base temp to be seventy and any mark thereafter to be an additional five degrees}

The thermostat is in place and the rating is 82 degrees. I checked this myself.
It has a 50/50 mix of coolant.
Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by 9icetoo(m): 10:01am On May 12, 2013
attached is my current temp display. I just discovered my thermostat failed in the open mode. (which was why my temp was stuck at eighty and took up to fifteen minutes to get to the halfway mark(when it manages to get there). put in a new thermostat and a genuine toyota coolant. Now it gets to the halway mark in less than five minutes. smiley

3 Likes

Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by Nobody: 9:39am On Jul 25, 2013
Car: Toyota camry
year: 2002
Engine size: 2.4
Engine model: 2AZ FE
Transmission: Auto

With or without AC Temp guage is always in the middle. I was traveling then it started to rain with the AC on, the tempeature guage was so low it got me worried say it was say 20% on the guage.

I use water please advise on what coolant to use.
Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by 9icetoo(m): 12:52pm On Jul 25, 2013
in my opinion (i might be wrong), your thermostat has failed in the stuck open mode. Regardless of the weather condition, your temp gauge is supposed to be kept constant by that thermostat. get it looked at. U can use hot water and a thermometer to check when it opens fully and when it shuts fully as well. and if the thermostat is the culprit and u do change it, i will highly recommend u buy a 50 50 coolant mix and replace the water in your cooling system at the same time. cheers.
Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jul 25, 2013
9icetoo: in my opinion (i might be wrong), your thermostat has failed in the stuck open mode. Regardless of the weather condition, your temp gauge is supposed to be kept constant by that thermostat. get it looked at. U can use hot water and a thermometer to check when it opens fully and when it shuts fully as well. and if the thermostat is the culprit and u do change it, i will highly recommend u buy a 50 50 coolant mix and replace the water in your cooling system at the same time. cheers.

Your analogy and recommendations are spot-on.
Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 25, 2013
9icetoo: in my opinion (i might be wrong), your thermostat has failed in the stuck open mode. Regardless of the weather condition, your temp gauge is supposed to be kept constant by that thermostat. get it looked at. U can use hot water and a thermometer to check when it opens fully and when it shuts fully as well. and if the thermostat is the culprit and u do change it, i will highly recommend u buy a 50 50 coolant mix and replace the water in your cooling system at the same time. cheers.
Siena:

Your analogy and recommendations are spot-on.

Your analogy and recommendations are spot-on.[/quote]

Thanks I will have that checked out and can't the water in the radiator be the cause? Cos as soon as it stopped raining when I entered lagos temp was back to normal.
Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by auhanson(m): 6:07pm On Aug 04, 2013
Siena:

No, I'm not saying that at all.

The thermostat doesn't control the cooling fan. The fan is controlled by the thermo time switch, which your mechanic has bypassed. It's usually fitted to the bottom of the radiator, coolant pipe elbow, or coolant passage in the cylinder head. On some cars, the cooling fan is controlled by the ECU via the CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor).

So your mechanic needs to go back to basics, if he doesn't know where to start, then he has no business working on anything that has an engine. I would strongly advice you take your car elsewhere.

Hello Siena pls which one control my ac fan(the electrical fan)? My car is a w202 Benz c180, 95 model. Last year i did a rewire and changed my ECU to 115 serial from the 118 serial; i really want to change my fan to factory settings as i bought the car with the fan connected directly to the alternator and thermostat was removed(though i later replaced that myself). Once crank to startup the electrical fasn comes, though i have changed that now for the fan to only work when i put on my installed ac compressor as i wouldn't know the factory connection neither do the mech guys i have ever visited. I have serious plans to revert everything to factory settings but i dnt want trial and error , i need to be sure of what am gonna do? Note also, i am ac driven 99 percent. Thanks

With ac off;
In normal traffic: 87 degrees
In very dense traffic: about 97 degrees(note the electrical fans are not on at this point as d ac isnt on, but only the viscous fan)
Highway speed: I am yet to really confirm this and would keep you posted but i'm sure it has never been 97 degrees neither lower than 87 degrees celcius

With AC on;
Temperature gets to the halfway mark in ten to fifteen minutes.
In normal traffic: 87 degrees
In dense traffic: still about 87 degrees
Highway speed: I am yet to really confirm this and would keep you posted but i am sure it has never been up to 97 degrees neither lower than 87 degrees celcius

I have a thermostat in place , which i installed after sensing over heating and is 87 degrees.
It has a 50/50 mix of coolant and water
Re: What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Aug 16, 2013
Thanks to this thread I have stop using water and using a coolant. My mechanic is a very stubborn guy I tried to so hard to ensure the mixture a 50 - 50 mixture. When I told him about the undercooling he was smiling and saying YES that engine is supposed to be cool and its better and I also noticed the thermostat was removed by the previous owner. I'm trying to get a brand new thermostat and I was looked like the biggest fool in Lagos when I told him that I want a new thermostat installed and the temp guage should be in the middle no matter the what.

Thanks all.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Develops Brake Pads With Palm-Kernel Shells / Durability Of Innoson Cars? / Baba40 Is A Dubious Fraud . (proof)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.