Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,517 members, 7,819,864 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator - Science/Technology (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator (45761 Views)

Scientist Invent Death Test That Tell Us How Long We Will Live / Urine-powered Generator Invented By Nigerians Girls / Harvard Students Invent Electricity Generating Football (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Horus(m): 3:35pm On Nov 10, 2012
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Litmus: 6:24pm On Nov 10, 2012
[img]http://4.bp..com/-DF6aCEc1k08/UJtPCCRqRCI/AAAAAAAAXEI/NroVJEByFFI/s1600/Urine_powered_generator.jpg[/img]

What vitriol against these children. Children! shocked shocked

people should spend their time trying to encourage them, offering ideas, instead of eyes-popping out in sweating black face, frothing at the mouth and posting crap about busted and fake. Even if you're convinces its fortean science your job should always be to encourage and shower children with love.

Reluctant to bring race into this but imagined if they had been white or Asian girls.

Wow, look at the way the people of African decent come here to show their hatred thus proving why Africa and black people are doomed.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by 19naia(m): 8:04pm On Nov 10, 2012
the day is near when every man woman and child and their pets and beast of the land will be able to sell their excrement on the market and have assured income,or at least put it to home use saveing money on energy markets...
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by baysol: 3:19pm On Nov 12, 2012
Okija_juju: [b]I died..

Students with their Urine powered generator at Maker Faire Africa in Lagos

Now on the face of it it ticks a lot of boxes – developing nation ingenuity, young kids sticking it to the energy companies and the green credentials (hey – urine’s a renewable resource right?).

But I’m not so convinced.

The claims

The claims is that “1 Liter of urine gives you 6 hours of electricity.”

Wow, 1 Litre of urine and 6 hours of electricity.

The following is on the site explaining it.

The system works like this:

Urine is put into an electrolytic cell, which separates out the hydrogen.
The hydrogen goes into a water filter for purification, which then gets pushed into the gas cylinder.
The gas cylinder pushes hydrogen into a cylinder of liquid borax, which is used to remove the moisture from the hydrogen gas.
This purified hydrogen gas is pushed into the generator.
Along the whole way there are one-way valves for security, but let’s be honest that this is something of an explosive device…

What is in Urine?

Going to that bastion of semi-reliable information (wikipedia) – I find that:

Urine is an aqueous solution of greater than 95% water, with the remaining constituents, in order of decreasing concentration urea 9.3 g/L, chloride 1.87 g/L, sodium 1.17 g/L, potassium 0.750 g/L, creatinine 0.670 g/L and other dissolved ions, inorganic and organic compounds.

Ok, so nearly all water – and 9.3 g/L of urea. Hrmm.. On the face of it and with limited research into the chemical energy in urea – that’s not sounding like something that is likely to power a generator with a 10-40% efficiency (and that’s being very generous with the range).

The apparatus

Let’s take a look at the picture from here.

The setup

Now it looks to me like a very daggy looking battery (the “electrolytic cell”), several water filter holders, a modified gas cylinder, some tubing, clamps and a generator. The bit from the generator to the electrics is pretty non-contentious – have seen similar things – a light to provide some load/indicator that energy is getting through and some powerpoints to plug the stuff in you want power to.

The “electrolytic cell”

Can’t really see what’s inside that or how it is filled up with urine etc – but keep in mind it’s got to be well sealed enough to pressurise the gas cylinder via the water filter thing in between. Also curious about the wires leading from it to the generator. What’s up with that?

Close-up of the battery and generator

Have they just hooked up the battery to an inverter perhaps? Surely people will expect the generator to be running while it is powering the lights. Or is it supposed to close the loop on supplying power back to produce hydrogen?

Water purifiers

Next in the chain is the first of the water filters. What’s it for? “The hydrogen goes into a water filter for purification, which then gets pushed into the gas cylinder.”
Ok, let’s go with that. First up it has no filter in it. Next up: it’s not pushing liquid through and a “water filter” only makes sense if you’re pushing water through it – I’m not sure what the point of it is – surely the gas would just bubble straight through to the exit? e.g. the liquid in it is irrelevant like blowing into a glass with a straw not in the water – the air doesn’t magically go down into the water – it just stays at the top. If you filled it to the top you might get a bit of water blown out initially but then it would have cleared a path. If it had a hose down it you’d get a sheeha/bong type result – but how it is currently I don’t see how it does anything. It’s ok, these kids don’t hang out with the drop-out pot-heads enough to know how to fashion a bong out of an Orchy bottle. Even if you tipped it upside down during operation it would proceed to blow out all the water until it was clear and then the gas would flow straight through.

Here’s how they are usually set up to filter water:

Water filter.

So water comes in – is pushed or pulled through the filter – and then flows out. If you don’t have the filter there – the water just flows straight out.. If you tried blowing air through – it’d just flow straight to the exit.

So you could take that out of the system – a sign of many “perpetual motion” and “free energy” machines where they stick a big coil, magnet or a mystery big resistor or something in there.

The gas bottle
There’s some things wrong with the gas bottle too.

Some suspect bits on here too

No clamp on the “input” – which I’m not sure what that is and how it works. Looks like a repair job, but not sure what that other bit is – looks like a plug or something on the side of it. The corrosion might be because they welded the wrong metal on there? But generally you don’t want too many valves/openings in your tank as it is a point of failure – certainly not a big drain sized opening or whatever that is.

Another water filter

Then there’s the next bit – don’t have any idea why you would have filters on the stuff going out to the atmosphere (I presume that’s what that is).

What is all this on the end?

Huh? Why would you care about filtering whatever comes out that bit – either they’ve hooked up their sham rig incorrectly (e.g. this stuff with the filters should be hooked to the electrolyte cell or to the gas tank or somewhere that makes sense. Double filtering something that is going nowhere – why? Again, those could be removed for the same impact.

And finally – 6 hours of running a generator on a litre of petrol is probably pushing the friendship a bit – 6 hours of running a generator on 95% water content – unless it’s uranium or fairy dust disolved in it is probably a stretch.

Conclusion

While I’d love to believe the story – I just don’t buy it. There’s either something very wrong with their setup or it’s just pointlessly complex for no apparent reason.

I’m labelling this a quack gadget – in line with the perpetual energy machines, magnet only motors.. Urine powered generators are in good company.

But happy to be proved wrong and we can finally harness the grubs who piss in the street and the urinal at the pub could run the lights.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

[/b]

Show us what invention you have made. Maybe it might beat the Girls achievements. Lazy man, devils workshop.
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by lagcity(m): 4:13am On Nov 13, 2012
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by techfreak: 4:15pm On Nov 13, 2012
[quote author=twinskenny][/quote]
twinskinny u dey try ooo
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by techfreak: 4:50pm On Nov 13, 2012
HAHAHA ..... I am learned abeg.... I refuse to be subject of research or experiment here .. lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by agitator: 3:40pm On Nov 14, 2012
na Yoruba dem spoil our school system, always passing out primary school equivalent as graduates. upon all them so called education nobody teach them the meaning of of "INVENT"
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by lagcity(m): 5:54pm On Nov 14, 2012
agitator: na Yoruba dem spoil our school system, always passing out primary school equivalent as graduates. upon all them so called education nobody teach them the meaning of of "INVENT"

Your Father!! kwashiorkor baby.
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by agitator: 9:38am On Nov 15, 2012
lagcity:

Your Father!! kwashiorkor baby.

That one no go change the truth shebi undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Horus(m): 7:48pm On Nov 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcQBf2ip2pQ

Teenagers in Nigeria create a urine-powered generator
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by baysol: 4:01pm On Nov 24, 2012
agitator: na Yoruba dem spoil our school system, always passing out primary school equivalent as graduates. upon all them so called education nobody teach them the meaning of of "INVENT"

Na girls like this go invent wetin go keep your sorry ibo life in the future. Watch this place then you'll know what is called invention. Yeye shameless tribalist.
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Benlow: 7:46am On Dec 30, 2012
When boy sare busy pulling triggers in school,girls are good doing the country good.......a big kudos to you girls,am very impressed, wish this undemocratic government can support this invention to a broader scale.
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by obnelly: 7:41pm On Dec 30, 2012
You don't need government to support your invention or scientific discovery if you do hmmm its a set back for you.
None of the multi national companies are ready to support things that the whole world can benefit.they prefer to donate dollars to the most naked girl in the house big brother africa by dstv and some companies like nigeria breweries doing ultimate guilder you get paid for being able to run in the jungle and the talent hunt by some companies too at the end you get money for being able to sing.for gods or God sake where are the scientist and engineers in various field any support at all to encourage them .its a pity,without good package for this people to develop will be difficult the best among us who can find his way to developed countries with good package will leave for good forever now tell me how can this country develop.
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Merrygolden(m): 5:06pm On Jan 02, 2013
Hi guys, pls add me on Facebook. I'm GOLD
EVANS. And pls LIKE my fan page. Also, listen 2
my song: Kilode by Gold Evans (beats prod by
Tolu of
MTN ProjectFameWestAfrica Season 3)... Pls
send it via Bluetooth 2 all ur friends... Enjoy!
Simply
follow dis link: http://tindeck.com/dl/qggj

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Nobody: 9:39am On Mar 07, 2013
These girls were shown on aljazeera last night.
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by lukman0778(m): 11:21am On Sep 12, 2015
[quote author=twinskenny post=12879867][/quote] yeye boy

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) / What's This Light Travelling In The Sky? (photo) / Residents Gather As Elephants Are Spotted In Kebbi. See What Happened. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.