Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,824 members, 7,828,018 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices (58347 Views)

MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) / Top Nigerian Makeup Artists / Top Nigerian Makeup Artists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by drnoel: 8:05pm On Nov 09, 2012
na wah 4 those people. The one that did my wife's make-up asked for 100 000 though I later paid her only 50 000 but those people wouldn't mind running u dry just cos u want to look Good.
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by bukatyne(f): 8:06pm On Nov 09, 2012
blacksta:

Nonsense

Is the make up artist going to finish all the products you mentioned on one customer.
abeg, i no fit laugh!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Nobody: 8:06pm On Nov 09, 2012
Julieccentric:

You are contradicting yourself, proofread before you click submit next time.
am condemning the exobirtant price,as well as you the wannabe.
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by redcliff: 8:07pm On Nov 09, 2012
Tyche: Op is very very as in very very ugly thus the exhorbitant price.

lipsrsealed

Makeup no fit do the trick na. Na only my baby tiwa savage I know makeup makes her an angel. Oh tiwa I long for your love *day dreaming* oops *night dreaming*
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Nobody: 8:07pm On Nov 09, 2012
Kslib: 200,000 naira for make-up?? Abi dem wan change the face join??....
abi o! Why should I spent that kind of money on make up? Se mo ya were ni? Thank God I can make up myself.nonsense!
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by bukatyne(f): 8:09pm On Nov 09, 2012
i wonder how a bride ll pay 200k for her make up. how much is d gown? ring? hair? does the amount of money wasted in the name of class guarantee the success of d marriage? we should learn more to work for the success of our marriages and not weddings.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by SisiKill1: 8:14pm On Nov 09, 2012
Considering the mentality of the average Naija customer, I have to say I don't blame these makeup artists for their exorbitant prices.

I was with a wedding planner once when she was discussing the prices of the services she would render and my jaw almost dropped. After the customer left, I asked why on earth would she charge almost 5 times the prices and she was like instead of looking at her, I should have been looking at the customers face. . .the higher the price the more the bride's shoulder went higher.

I had no clue what the hell she was talking about, that's when she explained that when she first started she would only add about 15% to 20% profit on the entire package. . .she never got a call back. For months, she didn't have customer. . .people would call her but after she told them her price she never heard back from them.

One day she attended a Party Planning Event for planners and she got to talking with other planners, she lamented to some women and they laughed at her. . .the reason she wasn't getting call backs was because her price was waaaaaay too low so the customers assumed she must not know what she is doing.

They day she added about 75% markup on her price and got a call back. . .she knew she would never ever go down on her profit margin again. Now she is almost at 400% markup and the calls she gets everyday. . .brides begging her to please look at her schedule because it just has to be her planning their wedding.

So you see, when they try to be nice to y'all. . .you treat them like they are inferior or offering rubbish. Be happy they just charging you N200k for $4:99 Marykay and $1.99 eye pencil, when they start charging you N500k for one sheet of makeup cleanser, then you will know wassup. cheesy cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by adusboy(m): 8:27pm On Nov 09, 2012
shocked shocked shocked
Onegai: Hmm, let's try thinking of this:

You train as a makeup artist. Most in Nigeria aren't well-trained, but pay minimum of N70,000 for bad training. Then buying your products (you have to have foundation to match any complexion, that's a minimum of N12,000 for 8 tubes, and then Mary Kay isn't that good, so to do a good job, you have to buy Black Up which is N10,000 a bottle. There's too much fake Iman on the market sold for N4500 per bottle). Then add in eyeshadows, a palette can be N8500 and that is the crap chinese stuff that irritates. So you spend minimum of N25,000 for more chinese stuff of slightly better quality. False lashes are N800 per packet (the good stuff which isn't heavy on the eye). We won't mention powders, blushes mascara, primers and skincare for all types of skins and complexions. Remember, all these products finish and expire, so they need replacement.
Then transport to the bride's house, first for trial and then for engagement and another day, white wedding, no matter how early or late the time. So that's usually cab fare. Calculate N3000 per trip.
Also, naija brides can waste time, so you can't do 2 weddings in one day. And then you have to wait for their mum, sisters or friends who want free makeup (as if you have products to dash).
You may say "oh well, why should I still pay so much?". Let me ask you this: which do you think you will use to remember your wedding, your menu, your hall venue or your pictures? And if it's pictures, do you wanna look your best in your pictures or do you want to look like your short-sighted sister did your makeup without her glasses? Why pay a photographer N150,000 when you look like a masquerade because you paid your MUA N40,000 for her wahala?
What do you think?
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by godstino(m): 8:36pm On Nov 09, 2012
@op Abeg free dem jor!!! Afterall,na where man dey Work,nai him dey Chop..dats y dey call it WorKShop...
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 09, 2012
Till Nigerian brides realise that LESS IS MORE, they will still keep on "throwing" money on unnecessary wedding bills!
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Nobody: 8:47pm On Nov 09, 2012
I guess its because they hardly see customers, so each one they have, they go for a kill. Seriously, is it a real job in Nigeria to make people up ?
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Caseless: 8:50pm On Nov 09, 2012
Thank GOD The price of make-up is this high cos there wil be decrease in facial-deceit they create with that halloween style called make-up. Rawbish!
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by saydfact(m): 8:51pm On Nov 09, 2012
Are you saying they charge relatively more than their foreign counterparts?
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by shocks(m): 8:58pm On Nov 09, 2012
acidtalk: If you can't afford it, stick to idi-agbon, tiro, vaselline, and palm kernnel oil.
grin Acidtalk I use God beg u, no crack my ribs this evening.
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Nobody: 8:58pm On Nov 09, 2012
Banke Meshida recently made up an acquaintance of mine for 180k I was like 'what'?!
And dts like d lowest of the low price, cos the groom is a bit popular and she beat down d price cos of that. When I saw d brides pix on banke's blog I was looking for the 180k makeup oh. The face was jst bland.
If makeup for my day goes anything past 25k forgerrit, I'll make myself up. Afterall I knw my face well sef.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by acidtalk: 9:06pm On Nov 09, 2012
redcliff:

Makeup no fit do the trick na. Na only my baby tiwa savage I know makeup makes her an angel. Oh tiwa I long for your love *day dreaming* oops *night dreaming*

I have only fantacized on ONLY 2 Nigerian celebs; Liz Benson and of recent Tiwa.

Omo, I think I can give up N2m to have an extremely private moment with Tiwa.

The babe isn't gorgeously fine though but she just has some certain features than can make a man weak.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by garri4all: 9:13pm On Nov 09, 2012
I have been waiting for this topic to come up on NL.
Thank God it has finally.
The most annoying part of it is that they won't even use quality products.
Even Mac sef you will never see with them.
Na so so fake Iman, Black Opal, Mary K etc.
How can I pay 200k? that is roughly 1000 euro for a cheap makeup..............The f.ü.c.k!
It's not as if some of them will even stay the whole day to be changing the makeup o.
I never wed, but fear done they catch me sef.
When my turn reach na only God know how much dem go they charge.
Here no average person will give you 1000 euro for makeup. Say who die?
Average price is 200 euro with QUALITY PRODUCTS!!!
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by maxisfield(f): 9:14pm On Nov 09, 2012
She wan remould †ђξ persn's face ni undecided abeg dts way tooo much!
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Ojugunrege(f): 9:15pm On Nov 09, 2012
blacksta: Nigerians generally lack correct business mentality, everybody wants to hammer from one customer and forget that repeat business is the key.
My sentiments exactly!
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by fankasibe: 9:18pm On Nov 09, 2012
Why the expensive make-up when it will all end up on the husbands lips and chest during HONEY MOON?
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Anyi3(m): 9:18pm On Nov 09, 2012
Julieccentric:

You are contradicting yourself, proofread before you click submit next time.
help me tell the guy. One minute he's supporting the next he's against
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by MrCork17: 9:21pm On Nov 09, 2012
Love angel: Why do Nigerian makeup artists charge so much? Just came across one and she said she'll do a wedding makeup for 200,000, I mean that's too expensive and most people complain about how rude and mean they could be. I really wanna know, why so expensive?

madam Angel love.. y u complaining?... are u ugly? angry
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by fankasibe: 9:21pm On Nov 09, 2012
I can only pay that much for my wife's make-up only if she will remain beautiful for many years.
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by sherrylo: 9:25pm On Nov 09, 2012
Op, 200k for make gini? ah, God bless super rich me o
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by fankasibe: 9:31pm On Nov 09, 2012
Seriouslly, na only FINE babes like Iyabo Obasanjo, kemistry and some babes on Nairaland needs to MAKE-UP for their natural mistakes.
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by aadetoyin(f): 9:32pm On Nov 09, 2012
The Problem with this makeup artiste is that they want to make all the money on one person's head. Aha! Na only one person wan use all the makeup in the box ni? And yes most of dem are snobs although I ve met some few good ones. What they don't know is if u re nice and friendly, ur customers will gladly recommend u to friends but if u re a snob, Ur wahala.
Another problem is with the big names in d industry, when u book, some of them will agree to be there in person to do the job but on that day, they'll just send a representative after charging a HUGE amount.
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by fapcrook(m): 9:40pm On Nov 09, 2012
Sisi_Kill: 200k??!! shocked shocked

What happened to white Powder, Tiro/Kwallii and Vaseline?
supported. Na dat 200k some couples dey use do wedding.
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by ehie007(m): 9:49pm On Nov 09, 2012
The price is kinda high except she is making up lots of people...i am a professional wedding photographer and most weddings the make up artist dont even have enough time for d bride talkless of making up others. Yea they could be rude, but its human induced.

Nigerians want good jobs but dont want to pay for it. Those who pay little are the most worrisome..This also applies to us into wedding photography....they want good shot but dnt want to pay for it....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by denitro(m): 10:01pm On Nov 09, 2012
Why would you want to make up for your wedding?
I want my bride to be to look as natural as possible

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Miss Rivers Contestant Embarrasses Herself When Asked A Question (video) / Ladies, Would You Wear This Jumpsuit Wedding Gown? / Kleopatra Vargas Wins Miss Toddler USA America Nation 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.