Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,372 members, 7,822,752 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

"i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons (4857 Views)

15 Reasons You Should Be Proud To Be A Nigerian(pics) / Igbo Kwenu! Kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by MP007(m): 1:28pm On Feb 02, 2008
I have discovered that some folks just "go with the flow" claiming to be proud nigerians, The most shocking part of the whole thang is that they never seem to give sensible reasons for being proud nigerians, All u hear  is  ridiculous claim of fun,entertainment and , blah blah blha, nothing to really capture the mind of the reader(esp. a foreigner),

so y'all mind telling me why y'all proud to be  Nigerians? (5 good reasons plzz) , and lets see who is kidding who up in here
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by MP007(m): 1:56pm On Feb 02, 2008
his_grace:

the intellect

the resilence

the beauty

the resource

the lifestyle. - no where else can u find all the above combined.

1.)Intellect, lolll grin,  and the nation stil has bad gov, poverty, disease etc, who is kidding who?

2) Resilence--,  To keep enduring the pain and suffering[b] "suffering and smiling"-fela[/b]  no wonder nigeria is ranked number 1 on the  happiest people on earth chat, Resilence indeed

3), beauty, agree with u 100%

4) resource-agree 100%
5)lifestyle- dont even start with me, plz dont
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by MP007(m): 2:11pm On Feb 02, 2008
i didnt say nigerians abroad, lets limit the lil conversation of ours to nigeria, I am proud to be a nigerian by the way cos of the rich culture of respect and dignity, thats all
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by Nobody: 3:10pm On Feb 02, 2008
Did someone say dignity? lipsrsealed
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by davidif: 3:16pm On Feb 02, 2008
the food is amazing especially akwa ibom  and cross rivers peoples food. Just absolutely wonderful.
The closeness, joviality, robustness, exoticism you name it, i enjoy being around naija people a lot, we know how to make each other laugh. Westerners are so isolated and sensitive about there personal space, meanwhile, in naija you fit just waka go your friend house without even calling him at all, and you fit even crash for the night. In naija we help each other a lot; if your boy no get money you give am or if you no get cash at all go ask "uncle" for cash him go give you. Its not like that here in yanki at all, you can't even give kids money when you visit them like we do in naija.

Even though life in the developed world is better in a lot of aspects, the communal nature here is lacking, for example, in naija we are raised that "it takes a village to raise a child" while in yanki its more like "here is our family and there is everybody else". Also, because everything here is so developed, life can be somewhat monotonous, devoid of drama and spontaniety (e.x of spontaniety is a typical day at Oshodi or Yaba grin grin). The only excitement you get in life is during the weekend (the climax of the week) where you go party and drink and do whatever it is that you derive pleasure from. To be honest, life can be soooooo extremely depressing and loney here, and you wonder why you almost never hear of suicide in naija even though life is hell. Also, life can be somewhat shallow; you wake up in the morning where the neighborhood is usually quietter than a ghost town, you drive to work in your self contained car go buy canned food or eat in a restaurant, then come back home, there are no kids playing on the street in your neighborhood, not a ghost in sight, you don't even know your next door neighbor who has lived next to you for almost 5 years and you wonder why we have crazy people in this country grin This is afterall a society where you even have to pay someone to listen your problems (therapist) and they try to diagnose you with something (bi-polar disorder) so that you buy there drugs and make more money for them. On the other hand, in naija, you tell your friends what you're going through and they usually come up with a solution.
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by didara86(f): 2:00pm On Feb 03, 2008
How true, how true! am amazed about the last post. You actually mentioned what i love so much about Nigeria and Nigerians and what makes me more attracted to their culture than to my own. I guess we live life to enjoy it, to be happy as much as possible. For what other reason? here, and almost in all countries outside of Afrika, life seems to be a competition, everybody is worried to lose it. Hectic, no time or will for friendship, no time for the good sides of life. It's sad and in my eyes that's something the whole world could learn from Africa.
I'm not Nigerian, but if i was, i would definately have 5 good reasons to be proud of it.

friendliness and happiness, no matter the situation ( at least that's what i experienced ), lovely traditions and especially ALIVE traditions, faith, big love for the family and of course beauty! African and especially Naija girls r the most beautiful girls on the globe, surely the guys as well.

Moreover i think u don't really need exact reasons for being proud of your origin. You should just be. Cos wherever u were born or wherever u raised up, every country gives u the offer to make the best of ur life.

Happy sunday
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by RichyBlacK(m): 6:04pm On Feb 03, 2008
@davidif, correct talk! You yarn the fact, no lie inside.
@didara86, we Nigerians also love you!

My 5+1 reasons (though I actually have 5,000 reasons grin):
1. Optimism - Nigerians are very optimistic people - I love that!
2. Faith - in every Nigerian culture, the concept of God is central. To be a Nigerian, in the true sense, implies being a person of faith.
3. Resilience - even in the face of hell itself, Nigerians don't easily loose their cool, humor, joviality, and cordiality.
4. Culture - from the food, to the items of clothing, to the languages, to the ceremonies - marriage, funeral, naming ceremony, house warming, etc., the beauty of the cultures is self-evident.
5. Sense of Community - from the Nigerian perspective, the word "individualism" and "selfishness", basically mean the same thing - both are abhorred. That communal spirit in most Nigerians, is a beautiful characteristic. Thinking beyond self comes naturally to most Nigerians.
5+1. Manpower - 140 million strong is no joke!

1 Like

Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by didara86(f): 9:43pm On Feb 03, 2008
Thanks Richy, some nice words that made my day smiley
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by RichyBlacK(m): 5:41am On Feb 04, 2008
didara86:

Thanks Richy, some nice words that made my day smiley

You're welcome! smiley
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by davidif: 7:39am On Feb 04, 2008
Thanks a lot didara we really appreciate what you have to say about our country, i was so surprised that you're not even naija. God bless you.
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by didara86(f): 7:43pm On Feb 04, 2008
Oh, by the way: I forgot to mention their talents
Oh my, also a very important fact that i love about Naija!
They got the BEST music artists! Can't get enough of Naija music! Hope they keep going on like that!

Oh, thx davidif, i take this as a compliment! smiley May God bless u too!
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by opuro(m): 2:17pm On Feb 05, 2008
POLICE HARRASEMENT
NEPA WAHALLA
PETROL PRICE INCREMEMENT
BAD ROADS
UNEMPLOYMENT

and guys never go on rampage!
am proud to be a suferhead nigerian like most of you
cool
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by grafikdon: 2:51pm On Feb 05, 2008
michelin89:

Did someone say dignity? lipsrsealed

Yes, there are millions of Nigerians with DIGNITY. If you haven't seen them, I have.
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by romeo(m): 7:58pm On Feb 05, 2008
grafikdon:

Yes, there are millions of Nigerians with DIGNITY. If you haven't seen them, I have.

I am one wink
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by naijadiva2(f): 9:18pm On Feb 05, 2008
davidif:

the food is amazing especially akwa ibom and cross rivers peoples food. Just absolutely wonderful.
The closeness, joviality, robustness, exoticism you name it, i enjoy being around naija people a lot, we know how to make each other laugh. Westerners are so isolated and sensitive about there personal space, meanwhile, in naija you fit just waka go your friend house without even calling him at all, and you fit even crash for the night. In naija we help each other a lot; if your boy no get money you give am or if you no get cash at all go ask "uncle" for cash him go give you. Its not like that here in yanki at all, you can't even give kids money when you visit them like we do in naija.

Even though life in the developed world is better in a lot of aspects, the communal nature here is lacking, for example, in naija we are raised that "it takes a village to raise a child" while in yanki its more like "here is our family and there is everybody else". Also, because everything here is so developed, life can be somewhat monotonous, devoid of drama and spontaniety (e.x of spontaniety is a typical day at Oshodi or Yaba grin grin). The only excitement you get in life is during the weekend (the climax of the week) where you go party and drink and do whatever it is that you derive pleasure from. To be honest, life can be soooooo extremely depressing and loney here, and you wonder why you almost never hear of suicide in naija even though life is hell. Also, life can be somewhat shallow; you wake up in the morning where the neighborhood is usually quietter than a ghost town, you drive to work in your self contained car go buy canned food or eat in a restaurant, then come back home, there are no kids playing on the street in your neighborhood, not a ghost in sight, you don't even know your next door neighbor who has lived next to you for almost 5 years and you wonder why we have crazy people in this country grin This is afterall a society where you even have to pay someone to listen your problems (therapist) and they try to diagnose you with something (bi-polar disorder) so that you buy there drugs and make more money for them. On the other hand, in naija, you tell your friends what you're going through and they usually come up with a solution.

this is so true. you said everything that i was thinking.
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by darfur(m): 11:41pm On Feb 05, 2008
I. my vote did not count
2. i was not counted in the census
3. i had no job after school, so i entered an unplanned masters degree programme grin
4. religious riot burn my aunt property for kaduna
5. abandoned property palava took over my uncle property for Ph.

i'm really proud to be a nigerian. cool
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by nanah(f): 11:56pm On Feb 05, 2008
@ Dafur. why are u such a pessimist? Are you saying that you can't even look at the brighter side of things. I know times are hard but bros learn to make yourself happy and stay positive. success starts form there you know!
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by nanah(f): 12:06am On Feb 06, 2008
i am proud to be a nigerian.

1.Phcn cuts power while in class and suddenly comedians spring up in the room. cheesy
2. Just when i think i've had enough i switch on the t.v and our local artists are taking nigerian music to the next level. kiss
3.there's always something new in town i.e phones,cars e.t.c cool
4.every ugly situation becomes dramatic and u can't help but say "nigerians" smiley
5.Obasanjo never got a third term grin
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by chychy(f): 3:39pm On Feb 08, 2008
Good Weather (Not 2 cold, not 2 hot and they have seasons)

Rich human and Natural Resources

Any one can survive in this Country

Different Ethnic Groups and Tourist Centres

We're Religious [s] even if we do not practice most of the time.
[/s]
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by omogenaija(f): 5:33am On Feb 09, 2008
1. our good values (even though i dont value all of them embarassed )
2. the good food
3. when it comes to faji n ariya nobody does it like nigerians ( owambes = $$$) grin
4. the location of Nigeria
5. most Nigerians know that there is a God smiley
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by oziomatv(m): 3:12pm On Feb 15, 2008
1. Inequality (tribalism and nepotism)
2. you chop I chop leave others to surfer govt.
3.Insecurity of lives and properties( do what you can to get what you want).
4. No hope for common man to survive( I'm fit and capable but don't have Abraham as god's father).
5. Monkey dey work baboon dey chop(rob peter to pay paul)

I'm so PROUD to be a citizen of this nation.
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by OrumbaS89(f): 8:47am On Feb 18, 2008
1. My history
2. Food
3. Hair
4. Culture (most of the time)
5. My Family
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by huxley2(m): 10:50pm On Jul 10, 2009
If I were Nigerian I would NOT NOT be proud of it one bit. Absolutely NO reason for being proud of being Nigerian.
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by tamme: 4:16pm On Jul 11, 2009
undecided me i nono
Re: "i Am Proud To Be A Nigerian": Give 5 Good Reasons by kannymoore(m): 1:27pm On Dec 05, 2009
1. The fact say piss fit catch u 4 mainroad and u fit commot ur rocket and piss under a "do not urinate here sign!" 2. The fact that afta doin no.1 above, police fit pass by, walk up 2 u and (believe me) join u in the pissing spree! (3.) e get places 4 naija where a haircut costs only 50 bucks!, (4.) we used to have very good 100 m sprinters as a result of pursuing and overtaking speeding molue during rush-hour traffic!( since ppl begin buy car anyhow and BRT arrive, nobody wan run anymore lol) ., and lastly (5.) after typing all this stuff, nepa took light and i'm still grinning frm ear to ear! Lol!

(1) (Reply)

Interesting Facts About The 15th Century / Unveiling Alaafin Of Oyo's FIRST Wife + Their 58-year Love Story / Man Dressed Naked To UN Headquarters In NY (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.