Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,570 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages (44951 Views)

The Caribbean Islands Where Indigenes Speak Igbo And Yoruba / Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma / How Do I Say I Wan Fuk In Hausa And Yoruba Languages? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jan 01, 2013
Jamos did not call anyone "red ibo". grin
Lol. I know my people. They only called the bi/multiracial children red and usually it was derogatory in nature. The formal term was "creole" or "brown". it's true we invented the term "redbone" but not because of the "light skinned" Igbos. grin

Those called "red" were biracial folks.

#lies.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jan 01, 2013
Blyss:

One crucial part that the information left out was that, do to the fact of that the majority of the Africans brought to the US were Igbo, thus the African-American black population was/is majorly an Igbo population, the term Redbone rather fluidly transgressed into the society as in the early 1800's some Jamaican slaves began being taken to the US to help fuel the rapidly growing Cotton plantations of the Deep south, in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas and Texas, and in in the process passed on some of their unique slangs.

exactly.
now this is true. again it has nothing to do with igbo..
but the influence the caribbean had on southern culture specifically louisiana.

not only just the l.a. creoles - who are basically haitians tongue but also the other black americans in southern lousiana. even to this day i see similarities between the way they flex or act and how we do. Don't get me started on the food and voodoo. grin

mind you the south was french territory as was the majority of the caribbean before the spaniards came and took over. it's no coincidence. wink our history is rich and i feel it's unfair to try to play this igbo vs yoruba game to divide us like that. it's not a competition...if it was both groups would STILL come second and third to the Kongo. lol.

but anyway, all of this is off topic. tongue
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Blyss: 2:50am On Jan 02, 2013
*Kails*:

exactly.
now this is true. again it has nothing to do with igbo..
but the influence the caribbean had on southern culture specifically louisiana.

not only just the l.a. creoles - who are basically haitians tongue but also the other black americans in southern lousiana. even to this day i see similarities between the way they flex or act and how we do. Don't get me started on the food and voodoo. grin

mind you the south was french territory as was the majority of the caribbean before the spaniards came and took over. it's no coincidence. wink our history is rich and i feel it's unfair to try to play this igbo vs yoruba game to divide us like that. it's not a competition...if it was both groups would STILL come second and third to the Kongo. lol.

but anyway, all of this is off topic. tongue

Well the fact of that you're only half Jamaican clearly shows in your lack of knowledge of Jamaican history. That information is absolutely true, it was even mentioned in a documentary I saw on Caribbean history a couple years back.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 3:17am On Jan 02, 2013
don't pass your place with me blyss.
im half but my mother is 100 percent JAMO. And not one person in my family on her side has EVER heard of the term "red igbo". I'm talking about COUNTRY FOLKS who did not leave the country side until the 60s! So take your place on the side lines and have a seat. You can't educate me about Jamaica. Period.

btw do look wide and long for this "documentary". wink
let's see if you are not lying as usual.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Blyss: 3:18pm On Jan 02, 2013
*Kails*:
im half but my mother is 100 percent JAMO. And not one person in my family on her side has EVER heard of the term "red igbo". I'm talking about COUNTRY FOLKS who did not leave the country side until the 60s! So take your place on the side lines and have a seat. You can't educate me about Jamaica. Period.

LOL, come on Sis, let's keep this civil. Now you're telling me that just because, to your best of knowledge, your country folks from Jamaica haven't mentioned anything about the Historical fact of that Non-Igbo slaves once referring to many of the Igbo slaves as Red or Red-Igbo for their common propensity for being fair complexioned, it must of not taken place? Really? really? Well, that is about as nonsensical as me claiming that since my families country folk, never mentioned anything about how native born slaves here in America used to call the fresh off the boat slaves from Africa "Guinea Man", it must of never happen when in fact it did. Just because something isn't common knowledge, and you or those you know may not know of it, it doesn't mean it didn't happen or takes place at current.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by bigfrancis21: 6:10pm On Jan 03, 2013
*Kails*:

Have you ever visited igboland before? Have you ever come across lots of Igbo people before? I guess you've not because if you have the first thing you'll notice is the strikingly high number of very light-skinned people among the Igbo. About 45% of the Igbo race is very light-skinned. Many Igbo people when they go to the US blend in very quickly and easily pass for an african american, even I myself. Are you aware that two separate BLACK Igbo couples gave birth to WHITE babies in london two years ago? These two families never had any white blood running through them. The light-skinned nature of the Igbo race is indubitable. Even in Nigeria here, the Igbo people (and the Ibibio/Efik) are quickly recognized by their light-skinned nature. Come across any light-skinned person on the streets of Nigeria and that person is likely Igbo. www.nairaland.com/1073120/nigerian-igbos-white-children

If you've read your history well you would have also known that during the slave trade era the white slave masters often took female igbo slaves as concubines due to their light-skinned complexion. This light-skinned nature of the Igbo slaves earned them the hatred of their fellow tribes slaves and they were often called the derogatory name, 'red ibo'. This was how the name stuck. The other tribes slaves felt that the light-skinned igbo weren't properly 'black' enough like them and hence looked down on them. They felt that this earned them the preference of the white slave masters over them. This same term was later to change to 'redbone' and has remained so ever since. This 'red ibo' fact you are disputing here is well documented in books and research works. I'd suggest you do your homework very well.

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Blyss: 6:34pm On Jan 03, 2013
bigfrancis21:
Have you ever visited igboland before? Have you ever come across lots of Igbo people before? I guess you've not because if you have the first thing you'll notice is the strikingly high number of very light-skinned people among the Igbo. About 45% of the Igbo race is very light-skinned. Many Igbo people when they go to the US blend in very quickly and easily pass for an african american, even I myself. Are you aware that two separate BLACK Igbo couples gave birth to WHITE babies in london two years ago? These two families never had any white blood running through them. The light-skinned nature of the Igbo race is indubitable. Even in Nigeria here, the Igbo people (and the Ibibio/Efik) are quickly recognized by their light-skinned nature. Come across any light-skinned person on the streets of Nigeria and that person is likely Igbo. www.nairaland.com/1073120/nigerian-igbos-white-children

If you've read your history well you would have also known that during the slave trade era the white slave masters often took female igbo slaves as concubines due to their light-skinned complexion. This light-skinned nature of the Igbo slaves earned them the hatred of their fellow tribes slaves and they were often called the derogatory name, 'red ibo'. This was how the name stuck. The other tribes slaves felt that the light-skinned igbo weren't properly 'black' enough like them and hence looked down on them. They felt that this earned them the preference of the white slave masters over them. This same term was later to change to 'redbone' and has remained so ever since. This 'red ibo' fact you are disputing here is well documented in books and research works. I'd suggest you do your homework very well.

You've gone into greater detail of the subject very well. .

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 04, 2013
@bigfrancis,
i dont care about light skin and the igbo population. that has nothing to do with what people are trying to insinuate on here. the light skin population in the caribbean is the result of widespread race mixing. second i was talking about the whole "red igbo" term some folks claim we use/d in JAMAICA.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jan 04, 2013
LmL^ i LOvE when MsDark is MsDark and not Kails

But yo, i have heard the Red Ibo Story told to. It was told to me from a Nigerian Teacher from back in the Day.

I remember it because she used me as an Example to tell her story to everyone.

MsDarkskin is still right though...Because even when she is wrong she is Right Because When she is Wrong she still has more swagger in her post then someone who is right

MsDarkskins Wrongs are Epic...even more Epic than Her Rights which make her Wrongs Greater than Others Rights.

[size=3pt]...Please don't take this personal I am juss playin wit chu babii.[/size] tongue lol
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jan 04, 2013
الملكي فوق الله: LmL^ i LOvE when MsDark is MsDark and not Kails

But yo, i have heard the Red Ibo Story told to. It was told to me from a Nigerian Teacher from back in the Day.

I remember it because she used me as an Example to tell her story to everyone.

MsDarkskin is still right though...Because even when she is wrong she is Right Because When she is Wrong she still has more swagger in her post then someone who is right

MsDarkskins Wrongs are Epic...even more Epic than Her Rights which make her Wrongs Greater than Others Rights.

[size=3pt]...Please don't take this personal I am juss playin wit chu babii.[/size] tongue lol

lol smh.
[size=3pt]I've come to the realization that you enjoy messing with me.[/size] tongue
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by bigfrancis21: 12:37pm On Jan 05, 2013
*Kails*:
@bigfrancis,
i dont care about light skin and the igbo population. that has nothing to do with what people are trying to insinuate on here. the light skin population in the caribbean is the result of widespread race mixing. second i was talking about the whole "red igbo" term some folks claim we use/d in JAMAICA.

The 'red ibo' phrase later changed to 'red bone' used in JAMO is well documented. Moreover, you're getting the term pronounciation all wrong. It was pronounced 'red ibo', 'ibo' being the anglicized form of 'Igbo' as pronounced by the Whites then and even till now, not 'red igbo'.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jan 05, 2013
*Kails*:
@bigfrancis,

Seconded. While it is true there could have been igbo's in Jamaica, the race mixing eclipses that effect.
Re Caribbean speaking igbo.... That'd be news to most of them.

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jan 05, 2013
Flytefalls:
Seconded. While it is true there could have been igbo's in Jamaica, the race mixing eclipses that effect.

Thank you. And "red" was used to describe [size=18pt]ALL[/size] biracial, creole, and even albino Jamos (but we mostly called them "Dundus" though). But we didn't even use the word "red" until the enslaved understood English which took a long time seeing as how we spoke "old time patois", cromanti (akan) and kongo languages to communicate. So wtf we get "red igbo" from? As if our ancestors were walking around calling people according to their tribe.

"Hey you!! di red bwoy! Yeah, the Igbo, come 'ear nuh man!" grin grin yeah right!

I'm not paying these ppl any mind trying to prove something to other ethnic groups and themselves. "well documented" mi back foot. Lolz.

3 Likes

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Abagworo(m): 7:23pm On Jan 05, 2013
Y'all should stop acting like light skin is better than ebony. Igbos are not white. We are proudly black people and are same with every black people in the world. Black people generally vary in colour.

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by bigfrancis21: 10:52pm On Jan 05, 2013
*Kails*:

Thank you. And "red" was used to describe [size=18pt]ALL[/size] biracial, creole, and even albino Jamos (but we mostly called them "Dundus" though). But we didn't even use the word "red" until the enslaved understood English which took a long time seeing as how we spoke "old time patois", cromanti (akan) and kongo languages to communicate. So wtf we get "red igbo" from? As if our ancestors were walking around calling people according to their tribe.

"Hey you!! di red bwoy! Yeah, the Igbo, come 'ear nuh man!" grin grin yeah right!

I'm not paying these ppl any mind trying to prove something to other ethnic groups and themselves. "well documented" mi back foot. Lolz.

Honestly, you so far displayed some level of knowledge in your posts until recently. Now just take a look at this your particular post and notice the level of crass ignorance you displayed here. Eewo!! (That is another igbo word used during exclamation and used in JAMO as well, are you also going to deny that it is an Igbo word used in JAMO too??).
I'm going to buttress home my point with these statements.
First, I mentioned, as I gleaned from history books, that the jamaican phrase 'red ibo'/'red bone' currently used to refer †o lightskinned blacks among themselves ORIGINATED during the slave trade era due to the light-skinned Igbo slaves that were present in high numbers among the black slaves. The original meaning and usage was INITIALLY DIRECTED at the light-skinned Ibo slaves by other tribes slaves! Of course, over the years, descendants of the several african tribes in Jamaica, Igbo included, acculturated and mixed together and then saw themselves as one people/blacks/jamaicans/afro-carribeans and lost all sense of identifying with individual tribes, however the phrase itself was stuck and passed down to generations!
Second, are you even aware that the meanings/connotations of words and phrases change over the years? Are you aware that with new generations come new styles, meaning and usage of words? It is only natural that the meanings or usage of words change over time. In other words, connotations are subjective. The same phrase 'red ibo'/'red bone' used in JAMO currently has exactly the same intentions with the ancient usage when it originated originally - TO SPITE THE LIGHT-SKINNED BLACKS WHO AREN'T BLACK ENOUGH!!! The ancient and modern meanings both portray the same intention. In addition, since JAMOs nowadays no longer identify themselves by their several ancestral tribes, common sense tells you that the red ibo/red bone phrase when used today no longer refers to the Ibo Jamaicans!, given that there are no more self-identifying Ibo Jamaicans! This is an ancient phrase that has changed in usage but still preserved its underlying connotation.
Third, I never implied, directly nor discreetly, that the light-skinned Igbo slave population is singly responsible for the light-skinned JAMOs among you guys today. I never said so. If I did, please kindly show me where I did. I only mentioned the prevalent and overt light-skinned nature of the Igbo to buttress my point that 'this light-skinned nature of the Igbo is highly prevalent compared to other black tribes in africa and, was too strikingly obvious to ignore during the slave trade era, that the other black tribes who had much lesser populations of light-skinned ones amongst them had to characterize the Igbo slaves with the derogatory phrase - RED IBO!'.
I strongly believe that other tribes in JAMO had their own phrases given to them by fellow african tribes but such phrases somehow never made it to today.
Nevertheless, one can't rule out that the light-skinned genes of the Igbo also partially contributes to the current light-skinned genes of SOME jamaicans today, for those familiar with human genetics.

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 12:30am On Jan 06, 2013
Abagworo: Y'all should stop acting like light skin is better than ebony. Igbos are not white. We are proudly black people and are same with every black people in the world. Black people generally vary in colour.

Where did anyone in this thread claim Lightskin was better than Ebony

I must have missed some post.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 2:30am On Jan 06, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Honestly, you so far displayed some level of knowledge in your posts until recently. Now just take a look at this your particular post and notice the level of crass ignorance you displayed here. Eewo!! (That is another igbo word used during exclamation and used in JAMO as well, are you also going to deny that it is an Igbo word used in JAMO too??).
I'm going to buttress home my point with these statements.
First, I mentioned, as I gleaned from history books, that the jamaican phrase 'red ibo'/'red bone' currently used to refer †o lightskinned blacks among themselves ORIGINATED during the slave trade era due to the light-skinned Igbo slaves that were present in high numbers among the black slaves. The original meaning and usage was INITIALLY DIRECTED at the light-skinned Ibo slaves by other tribes slaves! Of course, over the years, descendants of the several african tribes in Jamaica, Igbo included, acculturated and mixed together and then saw themselves as one people/blacks/jamaicans/afro-carribeans and lost all sense of identifying with individual tribes, however the phrase itself was stuck and passed down to generations!
Second, are you even aware that the meanings/connotations of words and phrases change over the years? Are you aware that with new generations come new styles, meaning and usage of words? It is only natural that the meanings or usage of words change over time. In other words, connotations are subjective. The same phrase 'red ibo'/'red bone' used in JAMO currently has exactly the same intentions with the ancient usage when it originated originally - TO SPITE THE LIGHT-SKINNED BLACKS WHO AREN'T BLACK ENOUGH!!! The ancient and modern meanings both portray the same intention. In addition, since JAMOs nowadays no longer identify themselves by their several ancestral tribes, common sense tells you that the red ibo/red bone phrase when used today no longer refers to the Ibo Jamaicans!, given that there are no more self-identifying Ibo Jamaicans! This is an ancient phrase that has changed in usage but still preserved its underlying connotation.
Third, I never implied, directly nor discreetly, that the light-skinned Igbo slave population is singly responsible for the light-skinned JAMOs among you guys today. I never said so. If I did, please kindly show me where I did. I only mentioned the prevalent and overt light-skinned nature of the Igbo to buttress my point that 'this light-skinned nature of the Igbo is highly prevalent compared to other black tribes in africa and, was too strikingly obvious to ignore during the slave trade era, that the other black tribes who had much lesser populations of light-skinned ones amongst them had to characterize the Igbo slaves with the derogatory phrase - RED IBO!'.
I strongly believe that other tribes in JAMO had their own phrases given to them by fellow african tribes but such phrases somehow never made it to today.
Nevertheless, one can't rule out that the light-skinned genes of the Igbo also partially contributes to the current light-skinned genes of SOME jamaicans today, for those familiar with human genetics.
Jamo... That word angry

Does it apply to only Jamaicans? Out of interest.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by bigfrancis21: 9:23am On Jan 06, 2013
Flytefalls:
Jamo... That word angry

Does it apply to only Jamaicans? Out of interest.
For this particular discussion of 'red ibo', yes.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jan 06, 2013
Blyss:

Well the fact of that you're only half Jamaican clearly shows in your lack of knowledge of Jamaican history.

Well it seems like West Africans obsess over our history more than a natural Jamaican. I can site 5 ethic mixes in my own ancestry (within approx the last 200 years), but I'm still black Caribbean. Our history can be a perplexing. Being a part of Africa is a beautiful thing. Help us know our history, but not by force.

Signed, a fellow half Jamaican.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jan 06, 2013
Abagworo: Y'all should stop acting like light skin is better than ebony. Igbos are not white. We are proudly black people and are same with every black people in the world. Black people generally vary in colour.
Indeed smiley
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Blyss: 2:49pm On Jan 06, 2013
Flytefalls:

Well it seems like West Africans obsess over our history more than a natural Jamaican. I can site 5 ethic mixes in my own ancestry (within approx the last 200 years), but I'm still black Caribbean. Our history can be a perplexing. Being a part of Africa is a beautiful thing. Help us know our history, but not by force.

Signed, a fellow half Jamaican.

You are preaching to the wrong person my Caribbean cousin, I'm a Black-American. smiley We share a common history, that's how I know so much about your's, and how lacking Kails is in regard to this part of her Jamaican history. Kails is my girl for real on here, but she dropped the ball on this one. Just saying. smiley
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by bigfrancis21: 9:36pm On Jan 06, 2013
Blyss:

You are preaching to the wrong person my Caribbean cousin, I'm a Black-American. smiley We share a common history, that's how I know so much about your's, and how lacking Kails is in regard to this part of her Jamaican history. Kails is my girl for real on here, but she dropped the ball on this one. Just saying. smiley
The slave trade has come and gone anyway. It is now engrained deeply in the annals of time. Our ancestors were highly ignorant and traded slaves freely like common goods.
However, things happen for a reason. If blacks hadn't been sold away, there would have been no native blacks in america - a place so blessed today they've grown to cherish, and a place people from all over the world want to be in. 400 years ago, blacks were forced unwillingly to America but now Africans die to go to EMELIKA to escape the woes at home, even if it means being bounded in chains as slaves again! Lmao! A visit to the US, UK, Canadian embassies etc in Nigeria will reveal to you the huge numbers of africans queueing up everyday desperate to escape from africa! Aha! My black american siblings will count themselves lucky to be americans! I hear your thoughts loud and clear o...lolol
West africans/afro-carribeans/african americans are related anyway and share common ancestry. We are distant siblings.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 10:47am On Jan 08, 2013
Blyss:

Wagwan Cuz. Leave my sis alone, she has dropped no ball wink
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Blyss: 5:47pm On Jan 08, 2013
Flytefalls:
Wagwan Cuz. Leave my sis alone, she has dropped no ball wink

Oh, she dropped it alright. Matter of fact in my search for information to post in the thread speaking on the Igbo ancestry of the black-american people, I came across a piece in which stated that Jamaica received the second largest importation of Igbo slaves in the history of the Atlantic Slave Trade, second to only the USA with State/colony of Virginia alone receiving more than Jamaica, meaning that the US took in a massive amount of Igbo. A telling situation considering that, the US imported only a meager half a million slaves, in comparison to Jamaica and other Caribbean, central and South American nations in which took in Millions of slaves each.

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 6:26am On Jan 09, 2013
Where is the Red Roach Post?

Has that been edited?..It disappeared

That line was funny as Hell

"Red Roach".. Haha
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 6:28am On Jan 09, 2013
My Lightskin Black Family has faced Double the Prejudice..

From Whites For Being Niqqers

And from Blacks not being "enough" Niqqer....

..."Red Roach"..Haha What a Hilarious Post....
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by bigfrancis21: 12:51am On Jan 10, 2013
Blyss:

Oh, she dropped it alright. Matter of fact in my search for information to post in the thread speaking on the Igbo ancestry of the black-american people, I came across a piece in which stated that Jamaica received the second largest importation of Igbo slaves in the history of the Atlantic Slave Trade, second to only the USA with State/colony of Virginia alone receiving more than Jamaica, meaning that the US took in a massive amount of Igbo. A telling situation considering that, the US imported only a meager half a million slaves, in comparison to Jamaica and other Caribbean, central and South American nations in which took in Millions of slaves each.
My brother/sister thank you for your truth. Igbo slaves were highly sought after by the English and they were taken away in mass numbers. However, you'll rarely find significant evidence of the Igbo presence in the Americas, only a few tid bits here and there. Along the sea coast of the state of Georgia is a place named 'Ibos landing' named after a significant event took place there during the slave trade. A slave ship had embarked on a journey carrying many Igbo slaves. They were to be sold elsewhere. However, along the way, the igbo slaves in the ship revolted and some escaped and jumped into the sea. On seeing this, the white slave masters quickly put a halt to it. They considered it a great loss for the igbo slaves were highly priced, at a price of $4 or so per head and many jumped into the sea leaving just a few behind. During the revolution the igbo slaves were singing in igbo 'oke mmiri si ala anyi duru anyi bia ga-educhie anyi azu' meaning, 'the great waters that brought us from our land will also take us back'. The place 'Ibos landing' still stands in Georgia till today.
Of course, Jamaica received huge number of Igbo slaves. Jamaica and other carribean nations were formerly plantation areas. The whites established the agricultural plantation trade in the region and needed black slaves to man the plantations as they themselves could not survive the harsh/rugged realities of the environment. Many died after they contracted malaria from the rampant mosquitoes and other diseases. The Igbo slaves were considered perfect for this purpose and they were described by various slave masters thus, 'the eboes are hard-working, rugged, strong, have well-built physique, and are knowledgeable in the field of agriculture - the perfect qualities required to survive in the plantation fields'. Hence, many Igbo male slaves, after they arrived the US, were quickly shipped off to the caribbean areas to man the plantation trade. This same fact was also recorded by the Igbo ex-slave, Olaudah Ekwuano, in his slave account, when after having arrived the US from Africa was shipped off to the caribbean where he also found his own 'country men' in numbers.
In addition, linguistic evidence of the igbo still remains in the Jamaican patois with Igbo words such as 'unu (igbo for 'you' plural), sooso (igbo for only), eewo (igbo exclamation), red ibo/red bone, hop afa mi (closely resembles the igbo hapu mu aka', leave me alone), etc. The jamaican 'obeah' spirituality originated from the Igbo 'obia' or 'dibia' native religion.
To further support the massive Igbo presence in the americas, I did a research on the patois of the caribbean nations and I discovered that the igbo word, 'unu' is present in the patois of many of the caribbean countries! These countries include trinidad and tobago, belize, st guyana, st kittles, barbados, jamaica, etc. This word could not have been present in the patois if the igbo weren't present in these countries.
One not-so-good characteristic of the Igbo people is their high tendency to embrace change in the face of change. Not being tied to tradition, the Igbo man is naturally free to accept the change that comes his way and adapts easily, much to the detriment of his own culture. This is a problem amongst ourselves today. The igbo man will leave his land and travel to a foreign land and within a space of a few years he'll learn the foreign language and integrate into the foreign community, forgetting his land, culture and even language. He doesn't deem his culture/tradition as important as his quest to embrace change and grab the opportunities that come his way. This was the same characteristic of the igbo slaves then back in the days of the slave trade. They didn't deem it necessary to uphold their native traditions/culture whatsoever. They just adapted...leaving little evidence of their ubiquitous presence behind.

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Blyss: 2:11am On Jan 10, 2013
bigfrancis21:
My brother/sister thank you for your truth. Igbo slaves were highly sought after by the English and they were taken away in mass numbers. However, you'll rarely find significant evidence of the Igbo presence in the Americas, only a few tid bits here and there. Along the sea coast of the state of Georgia is a place named 'Ibos landing' named after a significant event took place there during the slave trade. A slave ship had embarked on a journey carrying many Igbo slaves. They were to be sold elsewhere. However, along the way, the igbo slaves in the ship revolted and some escaped and jumped into the sea. On seeing this, the white slave masters quickly put a halt to it. They considered it a great loss for the igbo slaves were highly priced, at a price of $4 or so per head and many jumped into the sea leaving just a few behind. During the revolution the igbo slaves were singing in igbo 'oke mmiri si ala anyi duru anyi bia ga-educhie anyi azu' meaning, 'the great waters that brought us from our land will also take us back'. The place 'Ibos landing' still stands in Georgia till today.
Of course, Jamaica received huge number of Igbo slaves. Jamaica and other carribean nations were formerly plantation areas. The whites established the agricultural plantation trade in the region and needed black slaves to man the plantations as they themselves could not survive the harsh/rugged realities of the environment. Many died after they contracted malaria from the rampant mosquitoes and other diseases. The Igbo slaves were considered perfect for this purpose and they were described by various slave masters thus, 'the eboes are hard-working, rugged, strong, have well-built physique, and are knowledgeable in the field of agriculture - the perfect qualities required to survive in the plantation fields'. Hence, many Igbo male slaves, after they arrived the US, were quickly shipped off to the caribbean areas to man the plantation trade. This same fact was also recorded by the Igbo ex-slave, Olaudah Ekwuano, in his slave account, when after having arrived the US from Africa was shipped off to the caribbean where he also found his own 'country men' in numbers.
In addition, linguistic evidence of the igbo still remains in the Jamaican patois with Igbo words such as 'unu (igbo for 'you' plural), sooso (igbo for only), eewo (igbo exclamation), red ibo/red bone, hop afa mi (closely resembles the igbo hapu mu aka', leave me alone), etc. The jamaican 'obeah' spirituality originated from the Igbo 'obia' or 'dibia' native religion.
To further support the massive Igbo presence in the americas, I did a research on the patois of the caribbean nations and I discovered that the igbo word, 'unu' is present in the patois of many of the caribbean countries! These countries include trinidad and tobago, belize, st guyana, st kittles, barbados, jamaica, etc. This word could not have been present in the patois if the igbo weren't present in these countries.
One not-so-good characteristic of the Igbo people is their high tendency to embrace change in the face of change. Not being tied to tradition, the Igbo man is naturally free to accept the change that comes his way and adapts easily, much to the detriment of his own culture. This is a problem amongst ourselves today. The igbo man will leave his land and travel to a foreign land and within a space of a few years he'll learn the foreign language and integrate into the foreign community, forgetting his land, culture and even language. He doesn't deem his culture/tradition as important as his quest to embrace change and grab the opportunities that come his way. This was the same characteristic of the igbo slaves then back in the days of the slave trade. They didn't deem it necessary to uphold their native traditions/culture whatsoever. They just adapted...leaving little evidence of their ubiquitous presence behind.

Yes, I've mentioned all of that in which you've stated and more in the thread speaking on the Igbo ancestry of the Black-American people. The thread is located right here in the culture section. You should check it out.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by bigfrancis21: 9:36am On Jan 10, 2013
Blyss:

Yes, I've mentioned all of that in which you've stated and more in the thread speaking on the Igbo ancestry of the Black-American people. The thread is located right here in the culture section. You should check it out.
Okay.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jan 10, 2013
bigfrancis21:
This was the same characteristic of the igbo slaves then back in the days of the slave trade. They didn't deem it necessary to uphold their native traditions/culture whatsoever. They just adapted...leaving little evidence of their ubiquitous presence behind.
So there we have it. I am not Igbo, I am black Caribbean. Not just a difference by country of birth, surname, culture, but even my own genetics would differ largely from a contempory Igbo because it's all over the place. However fine Igbo's may be (and they really are hot!! *fans herself*).

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jan 10, 2013
Flytefalls:
So there we have it. I am not Igbo, I am black Caribbean. Not just a difference by country of birth, surname, culture, but even my own genetics would differ largely from a contempory Igbo because it's all over the place. However fine Igbo's may be (and they really are hot!! *fans herself*).

exactly. we are not one of anything. wink

The jamaican 'obeah' spirituality originated from the Igbo 'obia' or 'dibia' native religion.

the TERM originated from the Igbo but our spirituality is mostly influenced by the Kongo ppl in central Africa sir (hence the birth of "Kumina".) as well as beliefs from the Akan peoples. Jamaicans are a mix, so therefore so is our culture. We took something from everyone and made it our own. No Igbo, Yoruba, Kongo, Akan, Senegambian et cetera, can claim us as their own. We are a mix of ALL.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by kwametut: 11:22am On Aug 16, 2014
@Handof Chukwu
Let me LECTURE U ABOUT AFRICAN HISTORY FLAT HEAD. SA UNIVERSITY AREN'T RANKED IN TOP 10 IN AFRICA FOR NOTHING. Europeans looked down on Igbo slaves especially males as they were lazy,suicidal and dumb grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Kongo Kingdom supplied the largest number of Slaves to
USA=Angola-Congo 35%-40%, West Africa 55%-60% mainly Senegambia
Cuba=40% Angola-Congo
Haiti=Angola-Congo 50%
Brazil=Angola-Congo 70%and Suriname=Angola-Congo 40%
and other small Carribean islands Bahamas,Caricao,St Kitts,St Thomas.

In these areas/countries mentioned above they imported more ANGOLA-CONGO SLAVES than any other African region.FACT.

NOTE: Europeans liked Angola-Congolese for STAMINA and hardowrk hence they were mainly used for GANG LABOUR. While for HOUSE NEGRO work Europeans liked Senegambians.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi And His White Rolls Royce At The Commissioning Of Olam Feed Mill / Ooni Ogunwusi's In Abuja For Tinubu's Birthday Event (Photos) / Translation Of Some Edo Words

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.