Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,335 members, 7,819,172 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders (6239 Views)

Ambode Leading Officers To Arrest Traffic Offenders In Ijora (Photos) / Court Stops ICPC, EFCC, SSS, Others From Arresting, Probing Kingsley Kuku / Withdrawal Of Officers From Vips: Police Deploy Men To Airports, Highways To... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by dapachez: 6:20am On Nov 12, 2012
LAGOS – AS part of measures to curb reported excesses on enforcement of the state’s traffic laws, the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASTMA, has ordered junior officers in its rank to stop arresting erring motor-cycle riders and motorists in the state forthwith.

The action is taken in a bid to checkmate aggressive enforcement of the state’s traffic law by LASTMA.

On the barring of junior LASTMA officers from enforcement of road traffic law, the General Manager of LASTMA, Engr. Babatunde Edu, gave the order in his address at a public forum on the Law, organised by the Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association, NECA, at the weekend.

According to Edu, the move was a spontaneous measure to respond to the complaints against aggressive law enforcement by junior officers.

He urged the public to report any junior officer who victimises or harasses them, saying they have been stripped of the power to arrest.

While urging members of the public not to take laws into their hands when unlawfully arrested, Edu said the officers are to render assistance to the motorists in ensuring traffic laws are voluntarily complied with.

He charged members of the public to take note of the names of such officers, insisting that junior officers have been warned not to arrest again following the complaints of aggressive enforcement.

He said: “You can easily identify the junior officer with black epaulet on their shoulders; they cannot arrest, only the senior ones with red epaulets on their uniforms can arrest.

We have stopped the juniors from arresting motorists and Okada riders except during a joint operation. That is the extent we have gone in checkmating aggressive enforcement of the law”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/lastma-bars-junior-officers-from-arresting-traffic-offenders/
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by gbadexy(m): 6:29am On Nov 12, 2012
I'm not sure about the source of the story but its still the same thing, they are likely to have senior officers around that would arrest erring motorcyclist and the junior officers would assist them.

1 Like

Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by bigx(m): 7:06am On Nov 12, 2012
"Except during a joint operation" I don't think anything changed here, afterall one senior officer with 20 junior officers can be termed a joint operation. Right?

www.nairaland.com/1099997/mtn-wow-bonus-confirmed-scam#12927482
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by igbsam(m): 7:09am On Nov 12, 2012
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by Walexz02(m): 7:11am On Nov 12, 2012
Una dey mind them? See mumu talk...so, if one senior office hide inside 10/20 junior officers,dem no go arrest abi?
Make dt man sharrap for there b4 those Okada bois go samma am..mtscheww
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by olatunde1234: 7:12am On Nov 12, 2012
Hmmm!
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by Nobody: 7:17am On Nov 12, 2012
Funny people,the senior gives advice,while the junior only carry it out. Resisting arrest from any of them,will be termed evading arrest.
The senior officer,and junior ones are all product of the institution called "Lastma".
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by leftone: 7:21am On Nov 12, 2012
If you know about ranking systems,you would have noticed majority of lastma officials on the road dont wear their true ranks.i have always wondered who decorated them with such ranks...
Lots of them are wearing senior ranks.
How who you distinguish whose is real?
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by Lanretoye(m): 7:27am On Nov 12, 2012
This one nah set up. After formulation,manipulation sets in...my dear motorists and okada riders beware of this conspiracy.
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by Teejayphillip(m): 7:33am On Nov 12, 2012
I jus pray dat I dnt fall into d hands of dis hungry lions called lastman (both senior n junior)officers... Dey ® tu mean,n dey ave no mercy in dia faces.. No mata d story U cook 4 dem,dey must turn deaf ear... All dis man story nah lie.. A lastman officer will alwayz wanna make money 4 himsef 1st b4 tinkin of d Govt own..
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by Nobody: 7:44am On Nov 12, 2012
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by Clemzy16(m): 7:51am On Nov 12, 2012
This story makes no sense. Who is to be blamed?!
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by Myself2(m): 7:51am On Nov 12, 2012
Okay,so if any LASTMA guy flags you down with the intention to arrest,you are to ask him what his rank is first?By the way,who has a list of the rank and file system of LASTMA

I used to think 80% of ALL of them are THUGS
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by vicholas(m): 8:08am On Nov 12, 2012
Confirm!!!
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by pipeewa(m): 8:21am On Nov 12, 2012
Wisdom says let all be extra careful. If you have been in Lastma net before you wouldnt want a repeat. Somehow Lastma instill fear in motorist thereby bringing sanity to our roads. One thing I noticed is that the senior officers listen to pleas and good reasons. God bless Nigeria.

Meanwhile check Timi Dakolo on youtube as he sings 'Great Nation' with so much passion. If we all are passionate about this nation one day we would all eat d fruits. Let's stop the criticism and start to harness our strength into doing something positive to make Nigeria a better place. Good morning.
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by kollybay4u: 8:32am On Nov 12, 2012
Senior and Junior officers are they not thesame both fall into the term LASTMA thugs

1 Like

Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by KINGwax(m): 8:44am On Nov 12, 2012
gbadexy: I'm not sure about the source of the story but its still the same thing, they are likely to have senior officers around that would arrest erring motorcyclist and the junior officers would assist them.
not sure about vanguard? Will u rather saharareporters?
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by olajide8(m): 11:29am On Nov 12, 2012
Have you ever parked and before you returned, your car had been towed by Lastma junior staff, God!! firstly, you would look for the car everywhere in side the gutter behind a tree inside another persons car, mehn, as if that is not enough, you would think it was stolen! and the bad thing about it is no one would tell you anything, they would just continue to look at you, then by the time you get to the police station to make a report, they would advise you to go and check the nearest Lastma yard, before confirming the complaint, God save you, a good samaritan is around to save your face, have you ever been slammed with an unbelievable offence by lastma officials both the junior and senior offices whom are high on to much car fumes, excess dust, excess exposure to sunlight "so their brains are already cooked while some are frying" and crazy danfo drivers.
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by ayoflyn(m): 12:18pm On Nov 12, 2012
Feel pity for all those that will be affected by this, cos they have no other means of livelihood.
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by Hardfact: 4:47pm On Nov 12, 2012
This is simply an honest admittance of the fact that a lot is definitely not right with the LASTMA and other traffic Officials like road users have always complained.
Thank God they now seem to be gradually coming home to realities on ground. Pray they be magnanimous enough to extend such fair restrictions to the police, local govt boys, and other similar gangs of touts-turned-traffic-law-enforcers who now parade the streets of Lagos.
Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by iwindow: 10:34pm On Nov 17, 2012
See the people who arrest Okada on akin adeshola street, VI.
I need someone to tel me how this pic can get to the commissionre or lastma boss.
This pics was taken today by a friend and the was arassed and arrested.

Re: LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders by Jwaka: 10:40pm On Oct 04, 2013
Few years ago at Ejigbo bus stop, i was flagged down by a male Lastma personnel who offered me the privileged of facing the oncoming raffic for a free ride for him.
I was so shocked and asked him what would have done if I had on my own taking what we usually called one-way?
Guess his answer? He just said "Efico" (book worm) and walk away.
I just hope the rank and file of them will be given continous training, expecially the juniour rank, they are the major problem. The senior ones are much better in their approach and dispensation.

(1) (Reply)

Obaseki, IITA Mull Partnership On 50,000 Ha Cassava Zone In Edo / FG Revives 18 Fertiliser Blending Plants – FEPSAN / 700,000 People Displaced By Bandits In Zamfara – Gov’t

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.