Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,761 members, 7,809,927 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:22 PM

University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? (24015 Views)

Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job / Pharmacy As Second Degree Or Msc / Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by femiseun1: 10:12am On Nov 13, 2012
Let me give u an example: A mechanic & An Automobile Engineer

Mechanic: V4 cars are better
Automobile Engineer: V6 cars is the latest technology so its the best

Mechanic: wire tracing, trial & error to find faults
Automobile Engineer: Scanning with computers to discover faults

Mechanic: Cabrator cars are best
Automobile: Injector engines are the best

There are lots of other examples but the automobile engineer is well informed and upto date than the mechanic

Nothing stops u from acquiring your university degree and combine it with handiwork.

1 Like

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by TonySpike: 10:35am On Nov 13, 2012
femi_seun: Let me give u an example: A mechanic & An Automobile Engineer

There are lots of other examples but the automobile engineer is well informed and upto date than the mechanic

Nothing stops u from acquiring your university degree and combine it with handiwork.

^^^
Exactly what I'm trying to explain in my comment up there. In the real sense, acquiring a skill might eventually make you an expert at doing a particular thing. University education, on the other hand, is meant to make you broad-minded, innovative and flexible to change. Like I said earlier on, many things have gone wrong with our educational system in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by hamwasy(m): 11:34am On Nov 13, 2012
[color=#006600][/color] both of them are better b'coz each of them has is own merit/demerit.
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Sike(m): 11:55am On Nov 13, 2012
BOTH... In their relative perspective.
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Mgbadike80: 12:23pm On Nov 13, 2012
The biggest mistake i made in my life is to attend a university for a social science degree. All the boys i left at home have gone far financially by d time i have finished service. Even d furniture builder in my street is worth millions with an army of apprentice working for him. The mechanic at d spare market market is now an importer with sophisticated computer scanning tools. The welder owns multimillion naira equipments. Where would i begin? Bros bone o. What u need is a solid primary and secondary school education. Even there artisans are far more exposed and educated albeit informally than the educated illiterates called coppers i met during my youth service. Even d guy i left as a cyber cafe manager is so experienced that he can confidently defend a certificate in computer science anywhere in d world even though he never attended any uni. He was even writing final yr degree projects for uni students. The best knowledge is on d streets, the best books are extremely cheap at onitsha market and d internet while what they give at d uni would not make u employable and very costly. I'm earning my daily meal through my self education and none of my uni classmates have been able to even get a decent job even with masters degree.

4 Likes

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by phineboy1pimple(m): 3:01pm On Nov 13, 2012
femi_seun: Let me give u an example: A mechanic & An Automobile Engineer

Show me d skull in naija that makes engineer INVENTORs?.... U ve nt clearly justified ur point cuz eventually d Automobile Engineer will knw "Jack" about automobile cuz he's nt been in a proper automobile coy for practicals other than d lecture room theories "crammed"...

1 Like

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by phineboy1pimple(m): 3:06pm On Nov 13, 2012
Mgbadike80: The biggest mistake i made in my life is to attend a university for a social science degree. All the boys i left at home have gone far financially by d time i have finished service. Even d furniture builder in my street is worth millions with an army of apprentice working for him. The mechanic at d spare market market is now an importer with sophisticated computer scanning tools. The welder owns multimillion naira equipments. Where would i begin? Bros bone o. What u need is a solid primary and secondary school education. Even there artisans are far more exposed and educated albeit informally than the educated illiterates called coppers i met during my youth service. Even d guy i left as a cyber cafe manager is so experienced that he can confidently defend a certificate in computer science anywhere in d world even though he never attended any uni. He was even writing final yr degree projects for uni students. The best knowledge is on d streets, the best books are extremely cheap at onitsha market and d internet while what they give at d uni would not make u employable and very costly. I'm earning my daily meal through my self education and none of my uni classmates have been able to even get a decent job even with masters degree.

How do we convince this NLer to see things frm a different perspective... He's jst giving instances of Y what he has acquired( University kpali) is useless to him.... Choi.... Na wah oo...
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by 2good(m): 4:23pm On Nov 13, 2012
University education gives you a life time exposure and connection of friends who would be future leaders and top executives in the future. That is something you can never quantify. Being in the university environment refines you and open your reasoning.

1 Like

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by phineboy1pimple(m): 6:04pm On Nov 13, 2012
2good: University education gives you a life time exposure and connection of friends who would be future leaders and top executives in the future. That is something you can never quantify. Being in the university environment refines you and open your reasoning.

Are U using Nigeria as a reference?... I hpe nt... Hw many frds did U make in skull then that r today leaders?...

1 Like

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Mgbadike80: 6:31pm On Nov 13, 2012
2good: University education gives you a life time exposure and connection of friends who would be future leaders and top executives in the future. That is something you can never quantify. Being in the university environment refines you and open your reasoning.
that is the crap u read from universities brochure. In real life, the opposite is observed. I have met many business leaders, importers,travel agents,artisans, bank managers,extremely brilliant and practically knowledgible ppl etc from d street and markets of onitsha. D only ppl i knew from school are mostly unemployed and struggling yrs after graduation. U can make more connections by learning to have a pleasant and gregarious personality in d work place,church,motor park and even nairaland than u would make by being in school with d same class for 4-5yrs.

3 Likes

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by phineboy1pimple(m): 6:43pm On Nov 13, 2012
Mgbadike80: that is the crap u read from universities brochure. In real life, the opposite is observed. I have met many business leaders, importers,travel agents,artisans, bank managers,extremely brilliant and practically knowledgible ppl etc from d street and markets of onitsha. D only ppl i knew from school are mostly unemployed and struggling yrs after graduation. U can make more connections by learning to have a pleasant and gregarious personality in d work place,church,motor park and even nairaland than u would make by being in school with d same class for 4-5yrs.

Exactly what I was trying to make clear to him...
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by 2good(m): 6:58pm On Nov 13, 2012
Mgbadike80: that is the crap u read from universities brochure. In real life, the opposite is observed. I have met many business leaders, importers,travel agents,artisans, bank managers,extremely brilliant and practically knowledgible ppl etc from d street and markets of onitsha. D only ppl i knew from school are mostly unemployed and struggling yrs after graduation. U can make more connections by learning to have a pleasant and gregarious personality in d work place,church,motor park and even nairaland than u would make by being in school with d same class for 4-5yrs.
Having schooled in UNILAG for my BSc and Europe for my MSc both on scholarship, I know where and what my class mates from both Nigeria and Europe are doing currently. I don't have to make a back and forth argument with you, but I am really proud of the achievements of over 70% of my Nigerian classmate and 100% of my European MSc classmates. It is my opinion from personal experience and you don't have to accept it.
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Mgbadike80: 7:11pm On Nov 13, 2012
^^If i might ask what did u study and when did u graduate? U can't compare somebody that studied chemical engineering topped with a foreign masters about 10yrs ago to be arguing where ppl with a first degree in social sc right now. Stop comparing akpu food to akamu. By d way the biggest faculties are always d social sc and arts. And our companies prefer foreign trained chinese technicians than local trained engineers. Or do u believe that any of d chinese technicians building factories at anambra are uni graduates? Check d profile of those obnoxious white management of dangote, the most highly qualified might only have a diploma.

2 Likes

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by ewizard1: 7:15pm On Nov 13, 2012
For T-shirts and Gift branding? Contact me.

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by 2good(m): 7:55pm On Nov 13, 2012
Mgbadike80: ^^If i might ask what did u study and when did u graduate? U can't compare somebody that studied chemical engineering topped with a foreign masters about 10yrs ago to be arguing where ppl with a first degree in social sc right now. Stop comparing akpu food to akamu. By d way the biggest faculties are always d social sc and arts. And our companies prefer foreign trained chinese technicians than local trained engineers. Or do u believe that any of d chinese technicians building factories at anambra are uni graduates? Check d profile of those obnoxious white management of dangote, the most highly qualified might only have a diploma.
In as much as I agree with some of what you've said, I will advice you not to ever use the status quo of your immediate environment to set your standard. Your future lies in your own hands. Also don't discourage young people with no experience because experience comes with time so everything is about hard work and patience with a little bit of luck.

1 Like

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by 2good(m): 7:58pm On Nov 13, 2012
Double post
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by phineboy1pimple(m): 10:19am On Nov 14, 2012
2good: In as much as I agree with some of what you've said, I will advice you not to ever use the status quo of your immediate environment to set your standard. Your future lies in your own hands. Also don't discourage young people with no experience because experience comes with time so everything is about hard work and patience with a little bit of luck.

Couldn't agree more....
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by phineboy1pimple(m): 10:23am On Nov 14, 2012
2good: Having schooled in UNILAG for my BSc and Europe for my MSc both on scholarship, I know where and what my class mates from both Nigeria and Europe are doing currently. I don't have to make a back and forth argument with you, but I am really proud of the achievements of over 70% of my Nigerian classmate and 100% of my European MSc classmates. It is my opinion from personal experience and you don't have to accept it.

Your stats can be refuted cuz dia r no facts to back them up... Most of us went to sch aswell n to sum level are still in contacts wit our sch mates.... In reality its nt 70% as U ve jst verbally stated oo...
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by 2good(m): 11:36am On Nov 14, 2012
phineboy1pimple:

Your stats can be refuted cuz dia r no facts to back them up... Most of us went to sch aswell n to sum level are still in contacts wit our sch mates.... In reality its nt 70% as U ve jst verbally stated oo...
I've said I'm not here to argue with anybody but rather to make my point. You are free not to accept what I've written as I don't have to prove anything to you. My Chemical Engineering graduating class have over 70% success rate with more than 10% currently practicing outside Nigeria.
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Mgbadike80: 12:00pm On Nov 14, 2012
2good: I've said I'm not here to argue with anybody but rather to make my point. You are free not to accept what I've written as I don't have to prove anything to you. My Chemical Engineering graduating class have over 70% success rate with more than 10% currently practicing outside Nigeria.
read my post above,

1 Like

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by phineboy1pimple(m): 2:02pm On Nov 14, 2012
2good: I've said I'm not here to argue with anybody but rather to make my point. You are free not to accept what I've written as I don't have to prove anything to you. My Chemical Engineering graduating class have over 70% success rate with more than 10% currently practicing outside Nigeria.

No1 is asking U to... All I'm saying is that we should b prudent wit our stats.... That's all... Majority cannot b wrong... Jst follow the threads n see ppls opinion...
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by femiseun1: 11:39am On Nov 15, 2012
phineboy1pimple:

Show me d skull in naija that makes engineer INVENTORs?.... U ve nt clearly justified ur point cuz eventually d Automobile Engineer will knw "Jack" about automobile cuz he's nt been a proper automobile coy for practicals other than d lecture room theories "crammed"...

Your problem is simply lack of exposure and poor reasoning ability. Is it impossible for someone to study automobile engineering abroad and practise in Nigeria? Why do u think people take their cars to Brass, coscharis etc.

Do u think the educational system abroad is the same with the one in nigeria ?. Abeg park go front!!!

1 Like

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by phineboy1pimple(m): 12:42pm On Nov 15, 2012
femi_seun:

Your problem is simply lack of exposure and poor reasoning ability. Is it impossible for someone to study automobile engineering abroad and practise in Nigeria? Why do u think people take their cars to Brass, coscharis etc.

Do u think the educational system abroad is the same with the one in nigeria ?. Abeg park go front!!!

If U that claimed to b properly exposed cud use brass n coscharis as an example... Then I doubt ur level of exposure...

If U ve bin reading this thread... U'll notice sum quotes n comments stating hw multi-nationals recruits white engineers wit diploma as for certificates than our so cald degree holders...

If U ve ever bin to their workshops U'll get my point....
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Mgbadike80: 1:13pm On Nov 15, 2012
femi_seun:

so in ur mind, those working at coscharis are automobile engineers? Bros they are technicians(handiwork). U can easily learn that at any technical college abroad.they probable won't even ask u for waec before admitting u. The way ppl are using this things now, i believe it can be learn't somewhere in nigeria.
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by femiseun1: 1:52pm On Nov 15, 2012
@ Mgbadike80
@ phineboy1pimple

There is no need arguing with both of u. Pls read the profile of automedics africa CEO. He is a nigerian just like u and he is practising automobile engineering in Naija @ ikeja

http://ng.linkedin.com/pub/austin-adekunle-shonaike/15/482/61a

http://automedicsafrica.com

Austin Adekunle Shonaike's Experience

Engineer

Automedics

Currently holds this position

Ceo

Automedics Nig Plc

January 2005 – Present (7 years 11 months)

a US-trained automobile engineer, has nearly 30 years professional experience. He started as an amateur in the late 70s, and holds Bsc Engineering (Automotive). He has worked with various establishments since 1985, including Schneider National in Georgia, USA, (travelling all over the United States), and the Department of Transportation, Georgia, USA. Over the years, he has mastered the art with on-hand expertise and continuous knowledge acquisition about the latest model of every available brand of vehicle in the world. Kunle regularly attends automobile fairs in different parts of the world, thus staying in touch with the most current technology in the industry. He pioneered Automedics© in 2006, and has warmed his way into the hearts of millions of people who have found it helpful.

Nothing stops an average mechanical or automobile engineering graduate from getting practical training from him in his company or training school. Must u go to the road side mechanic
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Mgbadike80: 4:32pm On Nov 15, 2012
My friend the guy is an american trained engineer with over 30yrs working experience, in otherwords he is probable over 60yrs old, bros pls stop comparing akpu and akamu.

1 Like

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by phineboy1pimple(m): 6:06pm On Nov 15, 2012
Mgbadike80: so in ur mind, those working at coscharis are automobile engineers? Bros they are technicians(handiwork). U can easily learn that at any technical college abroad.they probable won't even ask u for waec before admitting u. The way ppl are using this things now, i believe it can be learn't somewhere in nigeria.

Help me tell him... That's where he faltered.... By using Brass n coscharis as example...
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by phineboy1pimple(m): 6:10pm On Nov 15, 2012
femi_seun: @ Mgbadike80
@ phineboy1pimple

There is no need arguing with both of u. Pls read the profile of automedics africa CEO. He is a nigerian just like u and he is practising automobile engineering in Naija @ ikeja

http://ng.linkedin.com/pub/austin-adekunle-shonaike/15/482/61a

http://automedicsafrica.com

Austin Adekunle Shonaike's Experience

Engineer

Automedics

Currently holds this position

Ceo

Automedics Nig Plc

January 2005 – Present (7 years 11 months)

a US-trained automobile engineer, has nearly 30 years professional experience. He started as an amateur in the late 70s, and holds Bsc Engineering (Automotive). He has worked with various establishments since 1985, including Schneider National in Georgia, USA, (travelling all over the United States), and the Department of Transportation, Georgia, USA. Over the years, he has mastered the art with on-hand expertise and continuous knowledge acquisition about the latest model of every available brand of vehicle in the world. Kunle regularly attends automobile fairs in different parts of the world, thus staying in touch with the most current technology in the industry. He pioneered Automedics© in 2006, and has warmed his way into the hearts of millions of people who have found it helpful.

Nothing stops an average mechanical or automobile engineering graduate from getting practical training from him in his company or training school. Must u go to the road side mechanic

U seem to b missing d point here... I'm trying to understand if U r opposing getting a university degree or proposing a Handiwork... Cuz, based on ur example... The guy got trained in Yankee by experienced HANDIWORK ppl...
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Mgbadike80: 6:46pm On Nov 15, 2012
phineboy1pimple:

U seem to b missing d point here... I'm trying to understand if U r opposing getting a university degree or proposing a Handiwork... Cuz, based on ur example... The guy got trained in Yankee by experienced HANDIWORK ppl...
if i call him, an educated illiterate now, ppl will start accusing me of being abusive.
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by phineboy1pimple(m): 9:22pm On Nov 15, 2012
Mgbadike80: if i call him, an educated illiterate now, ppl will start accusing me of being abusive.

Loooooooool!..... No vex abeg....
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Dejiabimbola320: 1:22pm On Nov 06, 2013
handwork is the best because with hand work, you have the trick to success that any other person does not have you have the idea and the I.Q to take money away from our greedy leadership team than that of school degree because, they all pretend to now when it come to formal education I mean theory schooling than you.
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by biotun(m): 3:46pm On Nov 06, 2013
hand work is better here in Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ICAN November 2019 Diet (skills Level) Lets Meet Here. / PHOTOS: Meet Benny Eigbe, Beautiful Nigerian Female Painter / Why People Who Earn Less Than You Achieve More Than You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.