Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,821 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:47 AM

How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? (13245 Views)

Parents: How Do You Handle Your Teenage Daughter's Private Visit To Her Pastor? / Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? / How Do You Punish Your Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by EfemenaXY: 8:43pm On Nov 13, 2012
chaircover: LOOOOOOL Efe...... grin grin grin

Hmmmmmmmm tell me about it!! Ipod alarm, blackberry alarm, alarm clock but nothing works apart from my loud screech/yell every morning to wake him up. I am sha just counting until he goes off to uni. If he likes he should be waiting for me to come and wake him up in the morning!

CC, screech ke? After doing Awoko (nightwatch) with the baby? Na to croak, I dey manage do sef. Mine just pulls the duvet over his head & burrows deeper in his bed. Hmmm, now that's a thought...maybe I should make his bed less comfortable?

I kick myself for not signing him up for the Cadet thingy at his school. sad Used to think it meant getting shipped to Afghanistan undecided Now I know better. A couple of sessions at hilly Kent, hefting rocks in his backpack, to the tune of a shouting Major should have done wonders...

((double sigh)).
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 13, 2012
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by EfemenaXY: 8:50pm On Nov 13, 2012
chaircover:

LOL. I believe the truth of the matter is that he ignores the alarms because he knows that mummy has got his back and mummy will wake him up and not let him be late for school . . . . .

That is so true.

Mind you, despite his shortcomings, he is excellent with the baby. Expertly changes her soild nappy, knows how to feed her with her bottle, even soothes her when she's grumpy better than dad. That boy's got the magic touch....
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 13, 2012
Efemena_xy:

CC, screech ke? After doing Awoko (nightwatch) with the baby? Na to croak, I dey manage do sef. Mine just pulls the duvet over his head & burrows deeper in his bed. Hmmm, now that's a thought...maybe I should make his bed less comfortable?

I kick myself for not signing him up for the Cadet thingy at his school. sad Used to think it meant getting shipped to Afghanistan undecided Now I know better. A couple of sessions at hilly Kent, hefting rocks in his backpack, to the tune of a shouting Major should have done wonders...

((double sigh)).
u want to kill am? shocked ewo
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Nov 13, 2012
chaircover:

Na obodo oyinbo ooo! no be me. If for naija we dey, cold water would have done the trick same way grin[/s]
lol true that... i went to a boarding house in naija so i don learn o
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by vivianc(f): 8:55pm On Nov 13, 2012
chaircover: vivian OK lets pick things one by one.

They come back late from church....OK! the next question should be why? What are they doing that takes the so long to come back home? do you go to church with them? have you given them chores that they need to do after they get back from church? who are their friends in church? have you considered actually inviting the friends home . . .that way you know where your sisters are and they are not in the street somewhere . . . . Have you laid down specific rules to say "young lady, I expect you back here by 2pm latest" Sometimes they need specific and clear cut instructions etc etc.

The truth is that you are going to have to try and understand the things that make them tick, the things are important to them (which as teens are most probably different from yours) and steer them down the right path cos if God forbid they fall by the wayside, you are going to suffer the consequences too. What I am saying is that not all things work by using brute force and you may have to come down to their level sometimes and steer them from there.

grin CC decode na, ah ah, I don't wanna type in black and white.

To answer your question, our family friend(that has kids too) live around my house, we are not really much of "friends" people. Yes I attend church with them and I have also laid some ground rules but they just choose to defile those rules and that drives me crazy.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by EfemenaXY: 9:02pm On Nov 13, 2012
Donlittle: that is your fault now. so dont complain lol. ppl like us didnt grow up with fam so we had to learn nd teach ourselves wink

My brother, it's different over here jor.

I've stopped recounting how I used to wake up at 5:30am, wash both parent's cars, top up the radiator, check the level & colour of the oil...meanwhile, I don peel and boil yams & plantains for breakfast. Then make pepper soup, sweep in & out the house, boil some hot water for momsie's bath...Then wake my siblings & despite all of that, make it on time to school for an 8am start.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Nov 13, 2012
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by vivianc(f): 9:07pm On Nov 13, 2012
I'd choose teenage boys over girls any time any day........my kid brother didn't give me this headache when he was a teenager. I laid some ground rules and he obeyed.........I didn't worry about him getting knocked up! I'd just go like " hey young man, if you knock some girl up you are so gonna marry her but not in my house!"

But these little rats? For where? If I go like "Nne, I know u wanna use a camera phone, but I don't want you on 2go, 2go is not good, so many people get killed cos of it (I even used Cynthia's case o)." The next minute she is on 2go. Whatever you tell them not to go, be ready to kill them there.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by favouryemmy: 9:08pm On Nov 13, 2012
;DBeware NAPTIP is still very much around.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Nov 13, 2012
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Nov 13, 2012
Madam CC una dey scare me oh. Is this my life in 10 years?
Right now thw elder boy shows signs of being fiercly independent, even though he is obeident, tell him something once he gets it.
Told him to clean up his toys after himself and he does that so cutely, even when he sleeps off he picks them up first thing when he gets up in the morning.
But he doesn't like mushiness, too no nonesense for my liking, at that age he should want to cuddle and hug all the time and tug at mummys wrapper, when I come back he just gives me a kiss, we do homework and he is off to do his own thing.
We play a little rough me him and daddy but he scares me by liking his own company a little too much even though he is very creative. My mother in law says I should let him be and not be too clingy, lol, its hard jor.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by vivianc(f): 9:17pm On Nov 13, 2012
chaircover:

Are you solely responsible for them? are your parents in the picture? if they live under your roof, then your rules and they are just going to have to abide by them. I dont think that shouting or beating will work; they will just devise means to get more clever at what they do. I discipline my son by withdrawing privileges but I dont overdo it or it will loose the effect.

as regards the going to friends thing, there is nothing wrong with them having friends so long as you monitor the type of friendship, what they do, who the friends are etc. so you may have to invest in finding out what is going on and making sure that they are not mixing with the wrong crowd. So if the friends do check out, rather than saying NO you cant go, you can say; you can go for an hour if you come back from church on time and after you have done XYZ chore.

Yea, I'm mostly responsible for them. Well, I will pull off my boxing gloves and do it your way. Hope it works........thank you.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Nov 13, 2012
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by EfemenaXY: 9:27pm On Nov 13, 2012
chaircover:

efe are we sisters?

I used to wash 2 cars, top up radiator water and check oil too oooo! every single morning!!!!!.
I used to sweep the compound and my mum had to see the broom mark designs or else lipsrsealed . . . .and we had a househelp o! mum used to say when I had my own home I could do what I liked but her house . . her rules. Those were the days grin

Lol!

CC, believe it or not, we had 2 househelps, 2 drivers and a gardener!

Mind you, before anyone begin shout child labour / slavery, these girls were way older than me. They were more like chaperones..you know, like when cooking, they'll tease and say: "hmmm...is that how you slice onions? It's got to be very thinly sliced else you'll mess up in your husband's home!" They'll tell me never ending stories of girls who didn't learn how to cook properly before marriage, etc. Men, I worked eh, nor be small. Washing clothes with hand (even though we had a washing machine!), making sure they're hung out to dry early morning so as to catch the noonday sun, collecting them before sunset else mumsie would be like: "Shebi Efe's sun is still shinning out there?"

Driver go dey vex with me say I don do their work shocked shocked shocked

Infact, there's so much to say, I nor wan talk sef. My brothers had it easy growing up jor...but now I laugh when they get long distance international "cooking lessons on the phone" from mumsie! grin grin grin
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 13, 2012
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by EfemenaXY: 9:36pm On Nov 13, 2012
Yeah, ditto to that. smiley
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by SisiKill1: 9:41pm On Nov 13, 2012
chaircover: LOOOOOOL Efe...... grin grin grin

Hmmmmmmmm tell me about it!! Ipod alarm, blackberry alarm, alarm clock but nothing works apart from my loud screech/yell every morning to wake him up. I am sha just counting until he goes off to uni. If he likes he should be waiting for me to come and wake him up in the morning!

Bwahahaha! My Mom said the same thing about my younger brother. Guess what?!! She called!!!

It started with. . .ehn, let me kuku call him, he is not used to waking up on his own yet (for the first 2 weeks of school) then it went to "Ah, I think he told me he has a test, let me wake him before he oversleeps and forgets. That boy ehn, I don't know where I found him...he can forget his head if it's not attached to his head" then she went through the whole "Oh I want to tell him something before he goes to class. I don't like disturbing when he might have class" by the end of the semester, she had stopped making excuses. . .it was straight up ogboju (or is igboju..Lol) calling, as if daring anyone to say a word. . .Like anyone of us had the liver!! cheesy cheesy

Please make sure you come and tell us what style style you used. grin

1 Like

Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Nov 13, 2012
Donlittle: smh u sound like a perv. no offeinse

Am not surprised but am sorry for you. Repent before you perish.

The pharisees said Jesus was demon possessed yet he healed their sick.

LittleDon stop being Littleminded.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by vivianc(f): 9:59pm On Nov 13, 2012
okpara ugo:

grin grin grin grin
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by LadyGeorge(f): 10:11pm On Nov 13, 2012
jammyng: First of all, how are older are you than they?
This gramma don make my troway ma phone
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by NEROSKY(m): 10:47pm On Nov 13, 2012
lastpage: I have daughters and the method l used is to "be their best friend from a very early age"!

Not easy but "firmness when needed" and being extremely accommodating and open with them ensures that they feel "easy" in my presence.

I smack my children a lot at around the age of "6 - 10 years" (thats when we "set" the "ground rules" in our father/child relationship).... l also endeavor to be very close to them (by constant reassurance and open display of love, giving gifts, outdoor activities together, like cycling, football, e.t.c) around that period.

E noor easy o but l can tell you It works.

Now, when l just "frown my face", they already know someone has CROSSED A RED LINE!
( over the years, l have "designed" a special type of FROWN that can even kill a Gorilla" grin grin )
I dont even need to say ANYTHING, talkless of shouting!

Its better if our kids can be our "friend" instead of being "afraid" of us,,,,,, ...cos they would outgrow that "fear" one day.... and what would you have left?

Lastpage!

man ..U nailed it, u must be a rhetorician smiley
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by NEROSKY(m): 11:44pm On Nov 13, 2012
Once again i have 2 admit, this is big menz thread, my growing up was in Ghetto(sub urban area)! Nufin 2 write home, their is a sayin dat "if u were born poor,not ur fault,buh if u die poor,itz ur fault" Tnk God say me N poverty don get big problem..maybe by dis time nxt 20 yrs my children wil av sumfin 2 say...buh 2 nailed it, i was d stubborn type, even uptil naw.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Nov 13, 2012
NEROSKY: Once again i have 2 admit, this is big menz thread, my growing up was in Ghetto(sub urban area)! Nufin 2 write home, their is a sayin dat "if u were born poor,not ur fault,buh if u die poor,itz ur fault" Tnk God say me N poverty don get big problem..maybe by dis time nxt 20 yrs my children wil av sumfin 2 say...buh 2 nailed it, i was d stubborn type, even uptil naw.
how does this relate to the post? sad
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Nov 13, 2012
grin
okpara ugo:

lmao u quoting the bible bro? u ok?
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by SimplYeahmee(m): 3:20am On Nov 14, 2012
vivian chinaza: Pls, I need new ideas cos I have run out of one. My 2 teen sisters are driving me crazy.......and I'm this close to selling them! embarassed .....prospective buyers pls indicate your interest. embarassed embarassed embarassed

that's too xtreme, dey remain ur sisters no matter wat. let God guide you.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by NEROSKY(m): 7:36am On Nov 14, 2012
Donlittle: how does this relate to the post? sad
just came in 2read comments
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by Nobody: 8:35am On Nov 14, 2012
I'm afraid there is little you can do.
I hope they had a good moral foundation (upbringing).

I was brought up morally right while growing up.
When i was a teen i was wild and wanted to do things my own way.

I was threatened, begged etc but i didn't bulge.
However, the moral foundation i had made me know i had a limit to the things i could do.

I experimented with smoking, drinking, partying etc.
When i got tired i straightened up and my folks couldn't believe i had changed, just by myself.

Kudos to my dad who always told others not to be too hard on me.
He said, as long as my foundation was right, i couldn't destroy myself.

Bottom line, give a child a good foundation and hope for the best.
Threatening, beating etc always increases the rebellion.

I'm yet to see a rebellious teen who straightened out after all the intimidation and threat.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by Nobody: 10:31am On Nov 14, 2012
Take your sistaz on an excursion. Visit the female section of a prison facility. Tell them to change their ways or end up in jail...

This will work.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by otokx(m): 11:39am On Nov 14, 2012
some things are easier said than done but 2go is not so bad as people make it, punishment is not always the next response to misbehavior - some reeducation can do.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by Johndoe100(m): 12:44pm On Nov 14, 2012
Just saw this thread. Interesting thing. I was at my parents place and had the opportunity to be around when my mum needed some assistance in handling one of the teenage girls that live with her. They are the daughters of a relative. One is 16 and the other 18. My mum is getting on in years as you can imagine, so the girls are a handful. I offered to be the instrument of correction by applying the rod where it would do the most good, even though really my sisters should be the ones doing this kind of stuff. Given the behavior of the girls it was felt that a "man's touch" would be needed. I have not yet "applied the rod" but I most likely will be called upon to do so. However, the knowledge that their rear ends are in imminent danger and that that danger is very real has had a very salutary effect on them. they are nicer (especially to me) and seem to have gotten the message.

I have teenagers of my own, I discipline them simply by explaining things to them with the appropriate groundings and restrictions of access to all manner of vehicles and electronic gadgets, although in truth my wife is the person in charge of such things. By the time it gets to me it is usually a really serious infraction.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? by sleekdot(m): 5:32pm On Nov 14, 2012
^^ Oga John which kain rod you dey apply pls explain

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Men Learn From My Mistakes / 'my Life As A Lesbian / Handling The Issue of Giving Financial Support To Relatives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.