Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,196 members, 7,953,719 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:44 AM

The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! (60957 Views)

Bride Price Of A Woman From Idemili In Anambra State / Mystery Of The Waist Beads And Modern Sexuality / The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ezeagu(m): 10:19pm On Dec 04, 2012
wesley80:

And who made you a judge of pastors and prophets? Anyway, I do realize how difficult it must be for a SCROOGE to stomach a religion that preaches tightes, offerings and free will giving. You have my sympathy.

So all I can read is thief-thief, thief-thief, and then religion.

If you've fallen for the Pentecostal-paranoia, then you need to take your pissed off attitude and place it on the pathetic pulpit-pimps, or better yet take twice the recommended prescription of Panadol paracetamol.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by odumchi: 5:59am On Dec 05, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

That's what they say and yes it did crawl into my room.

Your experience reminds me of when a huge python slithered into the house of a relative of mine. He immediately called all of his neighbors to help him corner the snake in order to prevent it from escaping. He finally delivered the fatal blow when he crushed the serpent's head with a huge stick. It's amazing to imagine that a few kilometers away, on the other side of Igboland, such vile beasts are revered.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ezeagu(m): 7:47am On Dec 05, 2012
Are you scared of snakes?
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by odumchi: 12:22pm On Dec 05, 2012
Me?
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:26pm On Dec 05, 2012
odumchi:

Your experience reminds me of when a huge python slithered into the house of a relative of mine. He immediately called all of his neighbors to help him corner the snake in order to prevent it from escaping. He finally delivered the fatal blow when he crushed the serpent's head with a huge stick. It's amazing to imagine that a few kilometers away, on the other side of Igboland, such vile beasts are revered.

typical hot-headed christian attitude towards lifeforms. the fool is not aware it seems that pythons rarely harm humans. totally uncalled for. . *smh tongue
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ezeagu(m): 10:37pm On Dec 05, 2012
They should have thrown it into the bush, but in Nigeria everything is in ike-ike.

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by odumchi: 2:47am On Dec 06, 2012
ezeagu: They should have thrown it into the bush, but in Nigeria everything is in ike-ike.
PAGAN 9JA:

typical hot-headed christian attitude towards lifeforms. the fool is not aware it seems that pythons rarely harm humans. totally uncalled for. . *smh tongue

It's not normal for a giant python to crawl out of the stream and into a man's house, just like that. Besides, we don't tolerate snakes, where I come from.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ChinenyeN(m): 2:51am On Dec 06, 2012
odumchi: It's not normal for a giant python to crawl out of the stream and into a man's house, just like that. Besides, we don't tolerate snakes, where I come from.
Hence the expression: agwo no n'akirika.

@Topic: I find it interesting that snakes (or the python) receive(s) such a tolerable treatment up in that region, whereas it is normal to kill them and collect their sloughed skin in my area.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:54am On Dec 06, 2012
odumchi:

It's not normal for a giant python to crawl out of the stream and into a man's house, just like that. Besides, we don't tolerate snakes, where I come from.

Well,not all snakes...
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by odumchi: 3:01am On Dec 06, 2012
ChinenyeN:

@Topic: I find it interesting that snakes (or the python) receive(s) such a tolerable treatment up in that region, whereas it is normal to kill them and collect their sloughed skin in my area.

Exactly. It's quite strange.

NRI PRIEST:

Well,not all snakes...

What do you mean?
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by tomakint: 7:25am On Dec 06, 2012
ChinenyeN:

It is a common knowledge that where wild animals are shown love and not hunted down savagely they (no matter how fercious) tend to be docile although not in all cases but the possibilities of being docile are very high!
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:14pm On Dec 06, 2012
odumchi:

Exactly. It's quite strange.

What do you mean?

Agwo is different from Eke.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by Valon4ego(m): 8:35pm On Dec 06, 2012
it's quite well known/ rumoured that these serpents rarely harm those villagers. What i'd like to know is whether this is due to spiritual reasons or that it's not the nature of the animals to harm humans or as someone pointed out that when animals are treated nicely, they tend to reciprocate
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by Valon4ego(m): 8:38pm On Dec 06, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

i think( i'm not sure) that agwo( snakes) are also reverenced in idemmili
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:06pm On Dec 06, 2012
Valon4ego: it's quite well known/ rumoured that these serpents rarely harm those villagers. What i'd like to know is whether this is due to spiritual reasons or that it's not the nature of the animals to harm humans or as someone pointed out that when animals are treated nicely, they tend to reciprocate

all of the above.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by Antivirus92(m): 9:36pm On Dec 06, 2012
We tolerate eke and not agwo. Ha di iche. Let the seperationists use this cheap medium to prove a point.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by odumchi: 4:51am On Dec 07, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

I am well aware that eke and agwo are different. However, we treat all snakes the same, whether oguru (cobra) or eke nmini (python).
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by tomakint: 11:11am On Dec 07, 2012
odumchi:

I am well aware that eke and agwo are different. However, we treat all snakes the same, whether oguru (cobra) or eke nmini (python).

Is it true that in a particular place at Okija cobras are venerated, don't know please enlighten me
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ezeagu(m): 2:42pm On Dec 14, 2012
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by Valon4ego(m): 10:30pm On Dec 15, 2012
Valon4ego: it's quite well known/ rumoured that these serpents rarely harm those villagers. What i'd like to know is whether this is due to spiritual reasons or that it's not the nature of the animals to harm humans or as someone pointed out that when animals are treated nicely, they tend to reciprocate
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by tomakint: 11:35pm On Dec 15, 2012
Chineke @Ezeagu wetin be dis? That is a Burmese (a member of the python family) playing with that boy! I have stated earlier, any where wild animals are shown love, they tend to be docile in regardless of their wild nature!
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by odumchi: 11:37pm On Dec 15, 2012
tomakint:

Is it true that in a particular place at Okija cobras are venerated, don't know please enlighten me

I don't know about this. You should ask someone from Okija (Okija_Juju).
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ezeagu(m): 11:37pm On Dec 15, 2012
The python seems to have spiritual value in many cultures, since this snake is believed to be the boys husband or wife in the past life and they have a shrine for it.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by tomakint: 11:47pm On Dec 15, 2012
ezeagu: The python seems to have spiritual value in many cultures, since this snake is believed to be the boys husband or wife in the past life and they have a shrine for it.
Of course, to every culture there is a spiritual attachment, that was why i created the thread! How I wish this can make the front page so that more meaningful contributions can evolve! I wish andre uweh can surface, i need him. thanks odumchi
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by tomakint: 3:57pm On Dec 17, 2012
@ Okija, is it true that there is a particular community at Okija where cobras (naja naja species) are reverred? Just asking and I believe you can do justice to that!
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by Okijajuju1(m): 4:06pm On Dec 17, 2012
tomakint: @ Okija, is it true that there is a particular community at Okija where cobras (naja naja species) are reverred? Just asking and I believe you can do justice to that!

NONE!!!

Cobras are highly venomous and there is no community in Okija or Anambra in general (To my knowledge) that reveres the cobra...

Secondly, I dont even think cobras can be found in our parts of Nigeria..

So my Answer is NO!! No Igbo tribe worships the Cobra..

Ask for the python, Its understandable as Pythons dont carry poisonous venoms and rarely attack humans.. I have seen many of them in Anambra State crawling around majestically like they own the town. Its nice to see humans and serpents living in harmony.. My Yoruba friend almost pissed his pants at the sight of one in Obosi.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by tomakint: 4:10pm On Dec 17, 2012
Okija_juju:

NONE!!!

Cobras are highly venomous and there is no community in Okija or Anambra in general (To my knowledge) that reveres the cobra...

Secondly, I dont even think cobras can be found in our parts of Nigeria..

So my Answer is NO!! No Igbo tribe worships the Cobra..

Ask for the python, Its understandable as Pythons dont carry poisonous venoms and rarely attack humans.. I have seen many of them in Anambra State crawling around majestically like they own the town. Its nice to see humans and serpents living in harmony.. My Yoruba friend almost pissed his pants at the sight of one in Obosi.
That's my field (Wildlife) of course there are cobras in the east, I remembered my stay in Abia, of course they are not as plentiful in Yoruba land, we have enough cobra species in the west! Thanks for the response, wao Iwould love to see the symbiotic relationship between the Idemili people and pythons, I have always maintained that where 'wild animals' are shown love and care they are known to be docile!
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by Malawian(m): 7:09pm On Dec 17, 2012
odumchi:

grin

How can a full-grown Idemili guy like you fear pythons?
ol,boy, those pythons are giant sized. i am from oraukwu myself, the day i saw the python sleeping in my dads new house, i did not go up there again till i left the villa. btw, there are some snakes that are killed in my town. i have even seen my uncle bash one's head in.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by RickyRoss1(m): 7:24pm On Dec 17, 2012
@ PAGAN 9JA I have been following some of your posts and it appears you are neither a Christian nor a Muslim, so what do you believe in?
Do you believe theres a supreme God or you just dont believe in any God at all? People like you are rare in Nigeria. Almost everyone i know believes in Allah or Jesus/Jehovah.

After reviewing so many things I wanted to make a post about God, but I am afraid God will get angry with me. I want to know, WHY DOES GOD PERMIT HUMAIN SUFFERING? There are millions of kids around the world dying of cancer and other diseases yearly. I feel that God should not allow innocent children to die horrible death. As a man I cannot allow my children to suffer, each time my children get sick I feel very bad and terrible. Since God is our children why does he allow us to suffer. Ok I dont care about myself bc I am an adult and have committed sins, but what about children as little as 5 years? Many of them have brain tumor, cancer of the liver, leg, heart, heart disease, diabetes etc? I wish and hope God will cure/save these kids, they don't deserve to suffer at such tender age.

I am sorry this is off topic but I am just reflecting about life today so I am not in a good mood to talk about cobras and pythons, once again I am sorry
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by Malawian(m): 7:31pm On Dec 17, 2012
Ricky_Ross: @ PAGAN 9JA I have been following some of your posts and it appears you are neither a Christian nor a Muslim, so what do you believe in?
Do you believe theres a supreme God or you just dont believe in any God at all? People like you are rare in Nigeria. Almost everyone i know believes in Allah or Jesus/Jehovah.

After reviewing so many things I wanted to make a post about God, but I am afraid God will get angry with me. I want to know, WHY DOES GOD PERMIT HUMAIN SUFFERING? There are millions of kids around the world dying of cancer and other diseases yearly. I feel that God should not allow innocent children to die horrible death. As a man I cannot allow my children to suffer, each time my children get sick I feel very bad and terrible. Since God is our children why does he allow us to suffer. Ok I dont care about myself bc I am an adult and have committed sins, but what about children as little as 5 years? Many of them have brain tumor, cancer of the liver, leg, heart, heart disease, diabetes etc? I wish and hope God will cure/save these kids, they don't deserve to suffer at such tender age.

I am sorry this is off topic but I am just reflecting about life today so I am not in a good mood to talk about cobras and pythons, once again I am sorry
guy, NO PAIN, NO GAIN.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ezeagu(m): 7:35pm On Dec 17, 2012
He is a Hausa pagan. He worships God through the medium of his Maguzawa ancestors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maguzawa_Hausa_people

Pagan simply means a religion that is other than the main religions of the world which would be Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and maybe Hinduism. Pagans believe in a higher power, but interact with it in a primordial (beginning of history) way, away from organised and constrictive religion.

The problem in Nigeria, and no offense, is that everyone believes that you are either a devil worshipper or an atheist when you aren't a Christian, Muslim, or Jew, and that's not true. The Igbo, and Yoruba (and Edo) religions, for example, are monotheistic. There is only one eternal supreme energy that everything is tied to. The agbara, orisha, and arushi (or as people in Nigeria know them "idols" ) are not worshipped, they are venerated as a passage through to the higher being. In the Igbo religion for example, the highest being Chineke cannot be directly contacted and does not interfere with human activity. Agbara/Orisha are the saints and patrons in the Catholic church.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by Okijajuju1(m): 11:17pm On Dec 17, 2012
Ricky_Ross: @ PAGAN 9JA I have been following some of your posts and it appears you are neither a Christian nor a Muslim, so what do you believe in?

Pagan 9ja is a believer.. Just not in he Jewish God or the Persian God. He believes in the traditional African deities..

Ask for your write up.... You can go research the religious section as this topic has been handled severally... However, you can open a thread and invite us, we will be more than glad to share idea with you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

40 American Students Take Igbo Names After Tracing Ancestry To Igboland / "Why I Beat Up Another Monarch At Peace Meeting" - Oluwo Of Iwo / "My Wife, Chanel Chin Is The Most Beautiful Queen On Planet Earth"- Oluwo Of Iwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.