Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,530 members, 7,819,907 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! (59139 Views)

Bride Price Of A Woman From Idemili In Anambra State / Mystery Of The Waist Beads And Modern Sexuality / The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ifyalways(f): 6:29pm On Nov 20, 2012
I don't understand some folks,the overtly relgious folks.
Y'all claim there are nothing like African/Black spirits/powers today but tomorrow claim you are organising prayers and deliverance sessions for people possessed of black demons. How so undecided

So,according to ya story,the town was in darkness cos they reverred the iguana but saw the light when they abolished that culture and embraced the white mans own.what really happened?Govt brought in power poles,boreholes and tap waters,gave their children scholarships as they discarded their culture or what?break it down,sir.
wesley80:

Sorry pal, Spiritism is no Religion. I just hope African communities grow to a stage where they realize these are some of the reasons their people are relatively backward and face retarded progress. Yes I know it sounds absurd, but its true nontheless. i've seen such village traditions translate to huge obstacles in the lives of individuals who only knew their villages had such traditions or where themselves passive participants.
Earlier this year I accompanied a friend to an occassion in Nndoni community in Rivers state a community notorious for their reverence of the Iguana and surprisingly I didnt see any of the usually ubiquitous reptiles throughout my stay and I wondered aloud where they had all gone. It turned out that their now late king - you didnt hear he's dead from me - had asked his people to drop the tradition and allow the Iguana serving tradition go back to the town they "acquired" the tradition from (forgive me for letting the name of the town slip thru my memory, I'll confirm tomorrow) and his people wholeheartedly consented - apparently, they were all tired themselves. And so the people got liberated from the shackles of a backward tradition.
I wont bore you guys with tales of deliverance sessions I've watched of those posessed by spirits emanating from such traditions from Amadioha to pythons but my point is in 2012 we should have passed the stage of Animal worship and reverence.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by wesley80(m): 6:57pm On Nov 20, 2012
@Ezeagu, Hehehhehehe really funny I've got to say. Beyond all that let me ask, how many societies that wail and cry over the accidental death of an animal would you not consider as being relatively backward? How many "totem animals" do they have where you reside? How many people where you live still consider a reptile the bearer of the spirits of their ancestors and how many still feel obligated to make occasional sacrifices dedicated to reptiles? Do you really know what you're talking about?
I do not need you to preach to me about our Culture or the values and traditions that represent the identity our people, you'd be hard pressed to prove you know more than I do - frankly. Even in high school, I'd already completed the entire initiation ceremonies a man ought to have completed. From the "awhoro" which grants you status to move around when women and uninitiated are forbidden to step outside to the nnmanwu (not to be mistaken with the mere masquerade status accorded it by most Igbo cultures) to the "Alrishi" which I prolly would've "danced" if I'd not been asthmatic, to the "Ojeh". I participated and played roles in all even as a kid that lived miles away in Lagos. You see, tradition is what I was brought up in and I dont need someone who's only gratified in watching from a "safe" distance guilt me over veneration of any deity.
I know what is totemism and I can tell the difference between spiritism and Religion and I'm observant enough to recognize when practices that can only be described as out of place have shackled an entire people. If you're going to tell me about "animal conservation", I want to know how many bottles of gin you've sent down from your base to be poured as libation to your reptile ancestors and I want to know how many chicks and eggs you've lost to your totems, I do not want to read the opinion of a US based animal protectionist riled at the passing of a culture that only serves as a euphoric reminder of the practices of your forebears.

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by wesley80(m): 7:15pm On Nov 20, 2012
ifyalways: I don't understand some folks,the overtly relgious folks.
Y'all claim there are nothing like African/Black spirits/powers today but tomorrow claim you are organising prayers and deliverance sessions for people possessed of black demons. How so undecided

So,according to ya story,the town was in darkness cos they reverred the iguana but saw the light when they abolished that culture and embraced the white mans own.what really happened?Govt brought in power poles,boreholes and tap waters,gave their children scholarships as they discarded their culture or what?break it down,sir.
I would be glad to answer a question not dotted with sarcasm, and while you're at it I'd love to know if I was counted among the " Y'all' " and if so I and who? And of course would you be kind enough to remind amnesic me of where I had the discussion of non existence of "African/Black spiritual powers? Thanks in advance madam.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:48pm On Nov 20, 2012
ezeagu:

You don't know what you're talking about and let me explain why:

Animal totemism isn't animal worship, the animals are considered to be part of the community, so much so they are given the same rights or more of a full human member of the community.

Spiritism exists as part of many religions. The idea of animal messengers is linked with the veneration of different deities, so that the animals become a link between the temperamental deities, and the community.

You really didn't explain what the obstacles were of having totem animals. You just explained that the Crazy Christians™ in Ndoni had enough of local traditions (like they usually do all over Nigeria) and decided to get rid of it. I can make a statement like 'the late king of nireraland had his people drop the practice of paying tide, the people happily accepted'. You leave no explanation as to why the Iguana totemism was backward, apart from the undertones in your entire post implying that all African religions and religious practices are inherently evil.

Your "deliverance" religion is bullshit, and yes, because I say so. I can pay someone to wiggle and writhe on the ground too and claim Jesus was spooning them. It's funny how the traditional deities are the only ones who even bother to show that they exist through the same practice you condemn. It's funny how you condemn the traditional answer to the conservation of endangered species like the leopard or iguana, yet you support Christian spiritism boxing matches where people come to demonstrate the skills of rolling on the floor, acting possessed, and blaming it on innocent witches who did nothing to no one or blaming it on our dear father, Amadioha.

Ashemanahabanakoshamokalakalakakawakaonyeiberibeashachakrouva. I bind and cast you into the pit of ignorance.

[size=16pt]WELL SAID BROTHER!!!!!!!!! YOU STOLE THE WORDS FROM MY MOUTH! I SALUT YOU![/size] cool
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:53pm On Nov 20, 2012
wesley80: @Ezeagu, Hehehhehehe really funny I've got to say. Beyond all that let me ask, how many societies that wail and cry over the accidental death of an animal would you not consider as being relatively backward? How many "totem animals" do they have where you reside? How many people where you live still consider a reptile the bearer of the spirits of their ancestors and how many still feel obligated to make occasional sacrifices dedicated to reptiles? Do you really know what you're talking about?
I do not need you to preach to me about our Culture or the values and traditions that represent the identity our people, you'd be hard pressed to prove you know more than I do - frankly. Even in high school, I'd already completed the entire initiation ceremonies a man ought to have completed. From the "awhoro" which grants you status to move around when women and uninitiated are forbidden to step outside to the nnmanwu (not to be mistaken with the mere masquerade status accorded it by most Igbo cultures) to the "Alrishi" which I prolly would've "danced" if I'd not been asthmatic, to the "Ojeh". I participated and played roles in all even as a kid that lived miles away in Lagos. You see, tradition is what I was brought up in and I dont need someone who's only gratified in watching from a "safe" distance guilt me over veneration of any deity.
I know what is totemism and I can tell the difference between spiritism and Religion and I'm observant enough to recognize when practices that can only be described as out of place have shackled an entire people. If you're going to tell me about "animal conservation", I want to know how many bottles of gin you've sent down from your base to be poured as libation to your reptile ancestors and I want to know how many chicks and eggs you've lost to your totems, I do not want to read the opinion of a US based animal protectionist riled at the passing of a culture that only serves as a euphoric reminder of the practices of your forebears.

what the heck is your problem??! these are ritual and serve certain spiritual purposes and spiritual forces. a narrow man like you cant conceptualize such transcendental ideals. atleast we are not causing harm to anyone and we are not going around killing people in the name of religion, like you xtians and muslims did/do, nor are we brainwahsing people or begging for tithes/payment/pvt jets like your useless priests.

oh so you claim to have undergone these initiations. good. now i know that you are blind also. you dont even understand what you are doing. you re narrow as i said before. .
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by wesley80(m): 8:07pm On Nov 20, 2012
^ Ok I heard you. So what's your post count now?
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:09pm On Nov 20, 2012
^what has that got to do with anything it is 4592 .
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by Valon4ego(m): 12:16pm On Nov 21, 2012
There is however the other side of this story that is not so funny. There're stories, for example of grown up ladies in certain families that grow and age in their father's house but can't marry because 'they've been married to a python'. At times after giving birth, parents might dedicate their children to these serpents, you can imagine what will happen when such persons decide to become christians.

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by wesley80(m): 3:20pm On Nov 21, 2012
Valon4ego: There is however the other side of this story that is not so funny. There're stories, for example of grown up ladies in certain families that grow and age in their father's house but can't marry because 'they've been married to a python'. At times after giving birth, parents might dedicate their children to these serpents, you can imagine what will happen when such persons decide to become christians.

Some think this is just about preserving animals.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ezeagu(m): 4:57pm On Nov 21, 2012
Valon4ego: There is however the other side of this story that is not so funny. There're stories, for example of grown up ladies in certain families that grow and age in their father's house but can't marry because 'they've been married to a python'. At times after giving birth, parents might dedicate their children to these serpents, you can imagine what will happen when such persons decide to become christians.

Give us the evidence of this being part of Idemili veneration.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ezeagu(m): 5:36pm On Nov 21, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: So let me finish my story from where I stopped yesterday; my father went into our room and searched every where for the python all to no avail,so he went and call an "eke idenmili" deity priest who came to our house with some rituals object to beg the python to come out and let her children sleep well because we(I and my sister) insist the snake must be taken out before we step foot in that whole building. The priest came and performed some rituals in front of our house and went in to look for the creature. He was calling the snake all kinds pleasing names like "nna","agbala idenmili","onolu ife nolu enyi" biko dajuo....puta ka ayi chuolu gi aja ma dunaa gi. I didn't take him more than five minutes to find a snake that my father looked for over two hrs and he came out with the python wrapped around his forearm. He petted the snake and made some ancient chant while he walked away with the snake. My sweet mother washed down our room that night and poured olive oil admist hot prayers and singing. We ended up going to bed late and I couldt stop thinking about the incident untill we left villa.

A python crawling into your house is considered a blessing. Did it go into your room?
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:13pm On Nov 21, 2012

that is just symbolic. it has some context. it doesnt exist only in Nigeria. i have noticed it elsewhere also, case where people are betrothed to trees, etc.

after conducting some small ritual, the person can once again marry normally. it is no big deal. undecided
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by birdman(m): 8:58pm On Dec 02, 2012
Sounds like the makings of a Nollywood movie where your wife turns into a snake at night. Thanks guys, I will be avoiding any chick claiming to be from Idemili like the plague. Matter of fact, I really need to start asking where people come from undecided
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by maureen44(f): 11:34pm On Dec 02, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Here goes my encounter with the "eke Idenmili"; On a very warm night just after eating supper with my family,I went to lay down briefly before the night long boring rosary. In our room my bed and my elder sisters bed was arranged in an "L" postion so the feet side of the bed were touching. I was 16yrs old and my sister 2yrs older was laying on her bed and we were discussing how mean our mother was and all of a sudden my feet touched something I believed was my sisters feet but they were very cold. Out of curiousity,I asked my sister why her feet were feeling so cold and she says if I were sure it was her feet that I felt because her legs were folded and she doubts they could reach the feet of the bed. I disagreed with her and rose to reach for them because it was dark and there were no electricity. I touched a thing I instantly realized was not my sisters feet and felt like the object moved so I went out to got some light. On returning back to the spot and shed some light I immiediatelly saw a big pile of python crawling down my bed. I screamed so hard and our neighbors all came out. I broke the lantern and tear race! To be continued...

am also from umuoji, i had similra experience last wk
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ezeagu(m): 4:01pm On Dec 03, 2012
birdman: Sounds like the makings of a Nollywood movie where your wife turns into a snake at night. Thanks guys, I will be avoiding any chick claiming to be from Idemili like the plague. Matter of fact, I really need to start asking where people come from undecided

You obviously don't read much.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:44pm On Dec 03, 2012
birdman: Sounds like the makings of a Nollywood movie where your wife turns into a snake at night. Thanks guys, I will be avoiding any chick claiming to be from Idemili like the plague. Matter of fact, I really need to start asking where people come from undecided

you are narrow. it will be hard for you to finda wife anywayz, with htis attitutde. . undecided
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by wesley80(m): 7:32pm On Dec 03, 2012
This video should interest most of you. Its a 10 minute video and well worth watching.

www.youtube.com/watch?gl=NG&hl=en&client=mv-google&rl=yes&feature=related&v=r4ay4tajHCs
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:39pm On Dec 03, 2012
wesley80: This video should interest most of you. Its a 10 minute video and well worth watching.

www.youtube.com/watch?gl=NG&hl=en&client=mv-google&rl=yes&feature=related&v=r4ay4tajHCs

MY FRIENDS DONT WATCH IT! IT IS NOT ABOUT DANCING SERPENT SPIRIT! IT IS JUST AB XTIAN GUY PREACHING ABOUT HIS MAN-GOD!
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:41pm On Dec 03, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

MY FRIENDS DONT WATCH IT! IT IS NOT ABOUT DANCING SERPENT SPIRIT! IT IS JUST AB XTIAN GUY PREACHING ABOUT HIS MAN-GOD!

I CLOSED IT THE MOMENT I SAW THE WORD JESUS.

ACTUALLY YOU KNOW WHAT? PLEASE DO WATCH IT! IT IS SO HILLARIOUS! cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by wesley80(m): 8:33pm On Dec 03, 2012
^ Classic. Either make them not watch or discredit what they'll see before they have an opportunity to decide for themselves - nice try. I actually tried looking for a particular video that involved a lady from Anambra state with a similar problem. Just google you tube videos and see how widespread the problem is.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ezeagu(m): 2:18am On Dec 04, 2012
wesley80: ^ Classic. Either make them not watch or discredit what they'll see before they have an opportunity to decide for themselves - nice try. I actually tried looking for a particular video that involved a lady from Anambra state with a similar problem. Just google you tube videos and see how widespread the problem is.

You people's new age "Christianity" is absolute bullshit and an embarrassment to humanity.

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by birdman(m): 5:22am On Dec 04, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

you are narrow. it will be hard for you to finda wife anywayz, with htis attitutde. . undecided

Please explain further. If the posts here are to be believed, some people can be linked (married) spiritually to animals like a python. Furthermore, the said python may decide to pay a "friendly" visit every now and then. If I know full well that someone subscribes to this, why in God's name would I want to ever be yoked with such a person. Or you want the "original" husband to vex for me? What am I missing here?
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by birdman(m): 5:44am On Dec 04, 2012
Just to clarify btw, Christianity is NOT the white man's religion. They came upon it, just like other peoples did, and some hijacked it for political purposes. But the core of the message is essentially African. The trinity, Jesus birth and resurrection, etc have been in several African "pagan" religions, long before the historical Christ of the Bible. It doesn't make all of the Bible untrue, it just means you need to apply wisdom when meditating on it. Similarly, folks, please use the same wisdom with every other African religion you come across. Just because your ancestors thought it was a good idea to worship an animal does not mean you must do the same. Our ancestors were not omniscient (neither are you), and some of the practices they engaged in, in ignorance, are deadly.

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by wesley80(m): 9:21am On Dec 04, 2012
ezeagu:

You people's new age "Christianity" is absolute bullshit and an embarrassment to humanity.

Tell that to the lady in the video and countless others on that same youtube channel with similar problems. You've got absolutely no clue abt what you're talking.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:04pm On Dec 04, 2012
maureen44:

am also from umuoji, i had similra experience last wk

Oh,really ? What's your village ?
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:07pm On Dec 04, 2012
ezeagu:

A python crawling into your house is considered a blessing. Did it go into your room?

That's what they say and yes it did crawl into my room.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ezeagu(m): 2:43pm On Dec 04, 2012
wesley80:

Tell that to the lady in the video and countless others on that same youtube channel with similar problems. You've got absolutely no clue abt what you're talking.

I have no desire to interview professional actors. All these Billionaire-Jesus-men (a massive contradiction) are doing shit-all for Nigeria's and Nigerians progress.

Where do they talk about billionaire "profets" in the bible?
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by Abagworo(m): 9:20pm On Dec 04, 2012
Ekemiri
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by wesley80(m): 9:41pm On Dec 04, 2012
ezeagu:

I have no desire to interview professional actors. All these Billionaire-Jesus-men (a massive contradiction) are doing shit-all for Nigeria's and Nigerians progress.

Where do they talk about billionaire "profets" in the bible?

And who made you a judge of pastors and prophets? Anyway, I do realize how difficult it must be for a SCROOGE to stomach a religion that preaches tightes, offerings and free will giving. You have my sympathy.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Olu Of Warri Hangs Out With FIFA Officials At Qatar (pics) / Some Hilarious Pidgin English Proverbs To Crack You Up / Sanu Nku Jamaa [Hausa-speaking thread]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.