Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,903 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

Starting A Car In The Morrning - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Starting A Car In The Morrning (1380 Views)

Carpet Grass Car In Akure That Has Got Everyone Talking: (photos) / SUV Climbs Over Another Car In Accident On Oshodi-apapa Road (photos) / Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting A Car In The Morrning by Gloriouspa(m): 12:32pm On Nov 15, 2012
Hello Guys,

I want you guys to put me through on this question.

Is it adviseable to start a car first thing in the morning and move the car immediately.

Thanks.

Ayo.
Re: Starting A Car In The Morrning by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 15, 2012
Gloriouspa: Hello Guys,

I want you guys to put me through on this question.

Is it adviseable to start a car first thing in the morning and move the car immediately.

Thanks.

Ayo.

Yes. That's the correct way to start a car. Leaving the engine to "warm up" at idle is bad, and causes premature engine wear. The idea is to reduce the warm-up period to a minimum. So you start, drive off and just keep the revs low for the first 5-10 minutes of driving.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Car In The Morrning by Gloriouspa(m): 3:05pm On Nov 15, 2012
Thanks bros.

A brother just dropped his Toyota Matrix with me to use. I have noticed a neighbour of mine who drives Toyota Rav4, he just start his car early in the morning and drove off almost everyday. Many thanks.
Re: Starting A Car In The Morrning by mikkybrick: 7:46pm On Nov 16, 2012
great insight
Re: Starting A Car In The Morrning by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 19, 2012
Ummm interesting....What if I have a car starter... cos it's very cold...and I start it from inside , runs for a while before I drive ...does that wear the engine too?
Re: Starting A Car In The Morrning by Nobody: 6:49pm On Nov 19, 2012
jidegirl12: Ummm interesting....What if I have a car starter... cos it's very cold...and I start it from inside , runs for a while before I drive ...does that wear the engine too?

Leaving an engine to idle for a while from cold, causes premature engine wear.

Have you got a remote starter? Naughty girl, no more cookies for you. angry
Re: Starting A Car In The Morrning by Nobody: 8:46pm On Nov 19, 2012
grin Yeah I have a remote starter that came with the car with screen( quest /11) , that's the first thing I say when the dealership ask for what I need in a vehicle ....... but it's freezing here it can chip your ears...I thot the starter is for warming up the car undecided
Re: Starting A Car In The Morrning by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 19, 2012
jidegirl12: grin Yeah I have a remote starter that came with the car with screen( quest /11) , that's the first thing I say when the dealership ask for what I need in a vehicle ....... but it's freezing here it can chip your ears...I thot the starter is for warming up the car undecided

I've got remote start on my '08 BMW 120D M-Sport, but I disabled it. If your insurance company even got wind of remote start on your car, they'll cancel your policy so fast, it'll be a blur. They just don't like them. And in some states, it's actually illegal to have a running automobile unattended.
Re: Starting A Car In The Morrning by Nobody: 12:59am On Nov 20, 2012
Wow... I didn't know all these, thanks for the insight. Insurance will not even fix it if it breaks down, they only cover accidents, but

I've got extended warranty from the dealership for additional $4k for engine, electrical, breaks and all that stuff, cos its very expensive to fix a car in a garage ( of course you know) those guys charge per hr plus tax , minimum fix is about $300 and up, it's crazy.

I guess I have to start bundle up from now on cos I'm not ready to change it until 2014 grin thanks
Re: Starting A Car In The Morrning by sawyerrola(m): 2:40am On Nov 20, 2012
Siena:

Yes. That's the correct way to start a car. Leaving the engine to "warm up" at idle is bad, and causes premature engine wear. The idea is to reduce the warm-up period to a minimum. So you start, drive off and just keep the revs low for the first 5-10 minutes of driving.

just to agree with what the expert (Siena) in the house has said, this is a direct quote from my vehicle owners manual: “Engine should be warmed up by driving, not in idle. For warming up, drive with smoothly turning engine until engine coolant temperature is within normal range.”

thanks Siena for the heads up. keep up the good job.

(1) (Reply)

Crossover War (2013 models) / Small Vehicles Driving Side Conversion / Pls Help, My Kia Rio 2003 Smokes Badly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.