Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,250 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:26 AM

Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet (20317 Views)

The New Means Students Use In Cheating During Exams (photo) / FG Probes 10 Varsities Over Fraud, Sex Scandals(see List)-daily Trust / 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet Daily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by Nobody: 11:57am On Nov 16, 2012
529 ABU students use one toilet daily – Report

The average ratio of toilet to users in most public universities is 1:20, but Nigeria’s premier Northern University, Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria, breaks the record with an all time high of an average of 529 students using one toilet.

Graphic details of how the university, now celebrating 50 years of existence, has fallen from grace to grass is contained in a report which took a comprehensive inventory of facilities and assessment of the general condition of 61 public universities.
The Needs Assessment report put together by an 11-man committee headed by former Executive Secretary of Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) with former President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) as member, says the state of facilities and resources at ABU need “urgent attention.”

These record holding toilets are located at the Asma’u Mustapha Hostel, initially meant to accommodate 312 students but now has 3,178 students residing in it. With only six toilets at the disposal of these students, an average of 529 students use one toilet daily.

“The state of toilets in the university is of grave concern. The toilets are grossly inadequate. On the average, over 40 students share a toilet,” says the report.

But it isn’t only the toilets that need urgent attention, its learning resources were described as ‘obsolete and non-functional’ so much that, it’s two programmes- Architecture and Engineering, which earned it a revered reputation, now only have infrastructure and learning resources that are in a ‘parlous state’.

The university barely has interactive boards, public address systems, computers, magnetic boards, projectors, video-needful resources required to make teaching and learning easy.

As for the capacity of its 1,815 teaching staff, 42% have PhDs, 36% with Masters and 22% have first degrees.

This commendable quality of teaching staff is quite the opposite at a very young university within the same state, Kaduna State University, only eight years old. KASU is bottom heavy with Lecturers I to Graduate Assistants constituting 88% of the staff strength, only 1% are Professors, 5% Readers and 6% Senior Lecturers. Only 14% of full time staff are PhD staff, the rest are either Masters or 1st degree holders.

The university’s inability to attract high degree staff might not be unconnected to the stumpy release of its total allocation. Though N4 billion was allocated from 2009 to 2011, only 17% was released which is about N700 million.

The crisis of dilapidated hostels resurfaces at the Kano State University of Science and Technology Wudil. Established in 2001, the university inherited a large majority of its physical facilities from Teachers College, most of which are as old as 54years.

It’s only hostel “is improvised and very unfit for human habitation. It is ramshackle and massively overcrowded with looming risk to health and safety,” says the report.

KSUT has only one professor, no reader and 151 of its 165 full time lecturers are between the ranks of Graduate Assistant to Lecturer 1. Laboratory space is inadequate. 2 theatres constructed by TETFund in 2010 are the only excellent facilities.

Again, state government funding is nearly non-existent as only 6.5% of the N1.9bn allocated as capital grant from 2009 to 2011 was released.

Usmanu Danfodio University Sokoto has a total of 16 abandoned projects. Most of the equipment in the laboratories and machineries in the workshops are obsolete. The university has not commenced any form of automation in any of its libraries.

One irregularity noted by the report is that the Vice-chancellor’s office has the highest number of non-teaching staff- 390 out of 1,822.

In Kogi State university, every on-going project is being funded by TETFund and all abandoned projects in the university are those of the state government. 23 buildings are in a state of rapid deterioration and need urgent attention.

Generally, there is an average of four abandoned projects per university in Nigeria. Most of the abandoned projects are funded from capital allocations and are mainly students’ accommodation and lecture theatres.

The report accused university managers of expending huge resources in erecting university gates, wall fencing, and Vice Chancellor’s lodge, purchase of exotic cars while their libraries are still under construction, lecture rooms overcrowded and laboratories are bereft of basic facilities.

It is perhaps for these gross inadequacies, it recommended that federal government stop establishing new universities but rather concentrate on improving and expanding facilities of existing ones.

Proliferation of universities, the report says, has not improved access or assured quality.
Source

1 Like

Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by cheddarking(m): 11:59am On Nov 16, 2012
WOAH!!!!
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by emyibe(m): 2:27pm On Nov 16, 2012
please be sure.
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by Born2beRich1(m): 2:27pm On Nov 16, 2012
Poverty at its prime.... shocked
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by nekaa(f): 2:28pm On Nov 16, 2012
OMG.... Oboy na wa o....
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by dilbert100: 2:30pm On Nov 16, 2012
eeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by manny4life(m): 2:30pm On Nov 16, 2012
This is nasty taken to a whole new level
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by Eneze1(f): 2:31pm On Nov 16, 2012
is this verified, because if its true, its absurb
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by lolaben(m): 2:31pm On Nov 16, 2012
This is total bullish lies. I schooled there and there is no place like Asmau hostel having only six toilets. Hey this is not true

2 Likes

Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by Iaz93: 2:33pm On Nov 16, 2012
Damn!
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by Akanniade(m): 2:34pm On Nov 16, 2012
Nigeria generally has a poor toilet culture. I wud rather shotput than use those stink holes in naija schools
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by nneh1(f): 2:34pm On Nov 16, 2012
Candidiasis in the highest order.
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by royaltheo(m): 2:34pm On Nov 16, 2012
Well, I know the ratio is high, I doubt if its this high sha plus its a reflection of the state of our nation. #Ramshackled!
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by drizzydrag(m): 2:35pm On Nov 16, 2012
Let's reason as a normal human being... Could this be true? because i kant believe this article.

1 Like

Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by a1solution: 2:35pm On Nov 16, 2012
And also know Nigerians over hype things happening in the poor India country
These type of universities graduate fake graduates. That is why NYSC managers prefer giving youth corpers low quality kits. BECAUSE low quality graduate = fake kits and unemployable graduates
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by megxo(m): 2:36pm On Nov 16, 2012
STD grin (SHITTY TRANSMITTED DISEASE) grin

2 Likes

Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by try69: 2:39pm On Nov 16, 2012
chai.. shocked see toilet disease undecided
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by 1050mu(m): 2:40pm On Nov 16, 2012
This article is malicious.. Asmau musdapher hostel Is located in the teaching hospital nd houses d female medical students which are about 100.
Its d best hostel in d whole uni.
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by Ariyke: 2:43pm On Nov 16, 2012
shockedshocked
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by Nezan(m): 2:46pm On Nov 16, 2012
lolaben: This is total bullish lies. I schooled there and there is no place like Asmau hostel having only six toilets. Hey this is not true

1050mu: This article is malicious.. Asmau musdapher hostel Is located in the teaching hospital nd houses d female medical students which are about 100.

So who do we believe now? The truth remains that university infrastructure is dilapidated and overstretched more especially in the premier universities.
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by Fkforyou(m): 2:46pm On Nov 16, 2012
Oga poster get your facts straight,am an Abusite and there is nothing as asmau hostel.perhaps,there have bin massive reconstruction in ABU 4 d last 2years new dept.building,new halls,renovations of theatres with smarts boards the list goes on,some projects ar even still going.
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by MrHim(m): 2:46pm On Nov 16, 2012
In that case, any guy wey do any girl for that school "without" = seriously case of Kandiliiaasterosilosis of the brockus! grin
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by OkwaIfugo(m): 2:48pm On Nov 16, 2012
what a shame.
Staphilococus aerus ... cheesy grin angry
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by spartanian(m): 2:51pm On Nov 16, 2012
mehn....I won't toast any Abusite babe staying on-campus again o
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by Andrew3(m): 2:54pm On Nov 16, 2012
even gono dey there grin grin grin grin
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by Nobody: 2:57pm On Nov 16, 2012
Any bad news that is originating from north or south east is a hot news for nairaland moderators.
Over 24000 students in some schools not in the north or south east use
one bush as toilet.

9 Likes

Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by mariong(m): 2:59pm On Nov 16, 2012
Where is d source?? This info. is misleadn. Meks makes me wonder if there is anoda A.b.u bcs d 1 i knw does nt fit that descriptn. This the work of p.d.p lyk som ppl always say. Lol.
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by businesslawyer(m): 3:00pm On Nov 16, 2012
I support the position that the report was malicious.

I attended that school and the school has a seperate hostel for Nursing Students, the name of d Hostel quoted belongs to the Nursing Students and after calling d pple who are in d know i was reliably informed that the Nursing students from 100L to 400L dont use the said hostel as it was reserved exclusively for 500L students who cannot be more than 120 in number. The school has a policy of not admitting more than 120 students per class. in fact it was confirmed that the hostel accomadates 2 students per room and 3 rooms has access to a toilet, meaning max of 6:1 and if the 1:20 quoted for Public Universities is correct it means this particular hostels is far better than the average.

I emphasise that I know my school very well a lot need to be done about facilities in that school and all Public schools in Nigeria but that report about the state of the toilets, public address system and magnetic board is far from the truth in fact no hostel has more than 20 students to a toilet because there is no block of hostel with more than 20 students and each block has at least one functioning toilet aside from countless Public toilets strategically built withing the campuses.
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by cdabrain(m): 3:04pm On Nov 16, 2012
which kain povaty 4 Federal level? Guy pack well, if u de dat kain sch just arrange bush as ur......u know if not u go only get opportunity go toilet 1z a wk o!
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 16, 2012
1050mu: This
article is malicious.. Asmau musdapher hostel Is located in the teaching
hospital nd houses d female medical students which are about 100.

U guys don't know anything. The next moment these tribal nairaland moderators will change the news to suggest that the said hostel houses student boko haram members or some student kidnappers from south east.
Re: Daily Trust Newspaper Reports That 529 ABU Students Use One Toilet by Clemzy16(m): 3:09pm On Nov 16, 2012
Hmmm... I learnt ABU is the largest university in Nigeria. Also, I thought i read somewhere in the article that the school holds a record for the number of students using one toilet. Is that suppose to be an achievement?! That's one of the reasons why i don't like school hostels. CAVEAT: i foresee an epidemic outbreak of toilet disease. ORIGIN: Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Toyosi Craig Wins Most Outstanding Student Award In South Africa (Photos) / ABSUTH Provost Joins Students In Protest (photos) / Waec 2023 Chemistry Practical Practice Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.