Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,355 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? (5331 Views)

Pls Can I Get Interpretation To My Dream / Dreams Interpretation! Dreams Interpretation!! Dreams Interpretation!!! / Full Text Of Apostle Suleman's Prophesies For 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by tintingz(m): 3:06pm On Nov 18, 2012
holyghost dey interprete bible. . .how?
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by SELFWORTH: 3:07pm On Nov 18, 2012
k2039:

So the bible writers were catholic,David who wrote Psalm was a catholic or Job who wrote the book of Job was a catholic.
Your claim is laughable.

Me am baffled by this o? There is no mention of catholic owning the copyright in the bible.

How can someone own God? You need to own God and the Holy Spirit to be able to say you own the Bible.
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by SELFWORTH: 3:11pm On Nov 18, 2012
vandarsar: Ever noticed most of the bible we're reading in English and other languages apart from Hebrews have lost their true meaning? Hebrew is the correct interpretation of the holy bible, the rest has been manipulated to reflect each denomination beliefs and doctrines and to suit the kinda life style we living nowadays..... I mean whats the meaning of "Youth bible"? "Contemporary english bible"? etc. cool cool

The question is not asking about the different kinds of bible translations? It asking about the individual text in the Bible.
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by SELFWORTH: 3:14pm On Nov 18, 2012
k2039:

So the bible writers were catholic,David who wrote Psalm was a catholic or Job who wrote the book of Job was a catholic.
Your claim is laughable.

I agree with you poster because a lot of people don't actually READ the bible. They just follow the rumours and don't have a personal relationship with God so they lack understanding apart from what they are told by their pastor in church.
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by SELFWORTH: 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2012
charlsecy4:

Though collections of sacred writings, varying in extent, existed in the various local Churches of Christendom, the canon or official list of Scripture was only compiled by the Church toward the end of the fourth century—at Hippo in 393, Carthage in 397, whence it was sent to Rome for confirmation in 419. The Bible may be called the notebook of the Church, and she has always claimed to be the guardian, exponent, and interpreter of it. . . .

By these Councils, the Bible we see today came into be. These Councils are Catholic. How do we know? Well, St. Ignatius of Antioch called the Christian Church Catholic. Let me quote him, "Where there is Jesus Christ, there is the Catholic Church."

The OT that was approved by the Church was the Septuagint the Greek translation of the OT. The Bible later on was translated into Latin by St. Jerome. The Latin Vulgate was its name. It included the deutronacanonical books, like Tobit, Maccebees 1 and 2, etc.

It was not until the Reformation that Protestants remove those books. The books which early Christians have read.

Story! Story! unless you were there personally to verify it. You are just quoting what is all over the net. What does compilation have to do with invididual interpretation?
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by Kamxin(m): 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2012
larrymoore: l am interestd. I need further explanation pls.
In new testament context As the world's oldest institution, the catholic church has single-handedly written the bible, handpicked the ones divinely inspired from hundreds of books written by D apostles. Canonised it, thereby making it acceptable as not only holy but infalliable by all. Lets give her the benefit of doubt, in interpreting her works, as done for for 15 centuries b4 the coming of protestantism.

1 Like

Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by bamto(m): 3:30pm On Nov 18, 2012
You must first realize that the books of the bible are not of the same genre. There are history, laws, letters, poems, teachings, reportorials etc. Then, there is a setting for each passage. This has only one distinct denotation and its called 'logos,' the letter of the law. But there is the revealed aspect that comes from the Holy spirit, it is called 'Rhema.' It is good to know the logos, but it is more important to allow the Holy Spirit reveal the Rhema to you as you meditate. Rhema is functional, not rigid. That is the living, sharp word of God. Jesus said 'the letter (logos) kills. The word that I speak to you (rhema) is spirit and life'
Watchman Nee's 'How to study the bible' is a must-read for any serious, sincere Christian who desires to know these truths.

2 Likes

Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Nov 18, 2012
2.Peter.1: 20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

1 Like

Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by Kamxin(m): 3:44pm On Nov 18, 2012
SELFWORTH:

Me am baffled by this o? There is no mention of catholic owning the copyright in the bible.

How can someone own God? You need to own God and the Holy Spirit to be able to say you own the Bible.
The catholic church have the holy spirit(Jn 16:12-13), thats why writing and interpreting our works is possible. Let dis be clear any written works by humans is an intellectual property, and so the issue of copyright is coming into play. Thats why you can't remove a single word from the koran (pirating) legally because it is a violation of copyright.
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by Kamxin(m): 3:50pm On Nov 18, 2012
SELFWORTH:

The catholic church have the holy spirit(Jn 16:12-13), thats why writing and interpreting our works is possible. Let dis be clear any written works by humans is an intellectual property, and so the issue of copyright is coming into play. Thats why you can't remove a single word from the koran (pirating) legally because it is a violation of copyright.
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by k2039: 3:55pm On Nov 18, 2012
Kamxin: Excuse me in christian context, esp with respect new testament, Peter acknowledged its interpretation is a big challenge(2Pet 3:16) and proferred a way out ie through the interpretation of the church(2Peter 1:20) guide by D holy spirit(16:12-13) since it is with spirit it was made in the first place. With common sense a copyright owner is the best interpreter of his works, if not the fallout will be exactly what Peter said in 2Pet 3:16 ie churches mushrooming with deleterious consequences against the will of God(Jn 17:20-21)
I just dont understand what you wrote,if you meant Holy Spirit as the interpreter of the bible I agree but if you meant catholics then you sure need medical attention because your post doesnt defend catholics as having the divine interpretation of the scriptures
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by Kamxin(m): 4:02pm On Nov 18, 2012
bamto: You must first realize that the books of the bible are not of the same genre. There are history, laws, letters, poems, teachings, reportorials etc. Then, there is a setting for each passage. This has only one distinct denotation and its called 'logos,' the letter of the law. But there is the revealed aspect that comes from the Holy spirit, it is called 'Rhema.' It is good to know the logos, but it is more important to allow the Holy Spirit reveal the Rhema to you as you meditate. Rhema is functional, not rigid. That is the living, sharp word of God. Jesus said 'the letter (logos) kills. The word that I speak to you (rhema) is spirit and life'
Watchman Nee's 'How
this is 20, 21st century invention. There is no private interpretation (2Pet 1:20).
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by rhymz(m): 4:07pm On Nov 18, 2012
charlsecy4: I was with a friend last Sunday. He said that the meaning of each verse in the Bible is non-specific, that it depends on "AS PER REVEALED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT" to the reader. He was like saying that two or more individuals could read a passage in the Scripture, and the Holy Spirit would reveal different meanings to the individuals.

So, let's discuss: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation, or Does It Depend On What The Holy Spirit Reveals To The Reader?
hahahahah. . .that is the excuse christians use when there is an obvious irreconcilable BULLSHYT that can't be explained. . . Who da Bleep is holyspirit? A mental invention I guess.
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by rhymz(m): 4:15pm On Nov 18, 2012
k2039:
I just dont understand what you wrote,if you meant Holy Spirit as the interpreter of the bible I agree but if you meant catholics then you sure need medical attention because your post doesnt defend catholics as having the divine interpretation of the scriptures
You are obviously a naive Christian that does not know the origins of his bible. . .lol. . . Early Christians where actually Roman Catholics and they compiled the books of the bible written mostly by fictitious "anonymous writers"; it is possible they were written by catholic scribes and passed on as some "holy ghost" inspired book. . .lol. . The holyghost must be confused if actually it wrote or inspired anyone to wright most of the BS in the bible that look like pagan fairytales of events.

1 Like

Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by Manweysabi(m): 4:21pm On Nov 18, 2012
The text u read in the bible is called 'LOGOS'- a written word. There's a living force in every word written in the Bible. When u recieved a revelation from any word via the Holy Spirit, It becomes 'RHEMA'. So, what i conceived from reading a particular versa in a chapter, can be different from what another person may concieve.
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by Kamxin(m): 4:28pm On Nov 18, 2012
Osgee: As much as will claim to be Bible scholars will know that no one verse in the Bible has a fixed meanin He will always teach you something new even if you read the Word a thousand times. Get this book by Benny Hinn The word of God is new every morning. It is dynamic.
The meaning of God's work does not change as He does not speak from both sides of His mouth
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by Kamxin(m): 4:38pm On Nov 18, 2012
I cant imagine how a country can have a constitution without a supreme court, every citizen would interprete as he/ she likes, it doesnt make sense as chaos would surely be the order of the day The death on the cross would have been in vain if dat is the case.
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by Thok(m): 5:18pm On Nov 18, 2012
k2039: Based on context it has only one meaning.

But when you relate with the Holy Spirit He can reveal more and different meanings to the individual
well said.

2 Likes

Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by charlsecy4(m): 6:00pm On Nov 18, 2012
Kamxin: Only the copyright owner has a righ to interpret.(catholic church).

I don't know that for sure!

k2039:
So how does compilation have anything to do with interpretation,after all they were never the original writer

If they are, what is wrong with my saying that the Catholic Church are the first people to compile the Bible?
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by charlsecy4(m): 6:07pm On Nov 18, 2012
I think it's the Catholic Church that complied the first Bible! If not for the Catholic Church, 95% of the world would have been Muslim.

larrymoore: l am interestd. I need further explanation pls.
SELFWORTH: abi o! me too. please tell us more.

Go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades
http://www.examiner.com/article/muslims-pope-must-apologize-for-catholics-freeing-spain-from-islamic-invaders
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by rhymz(m): 6:44pm On Nov 18, 2012
Manweysabi: The text u read in the bible is called 'LOGOS'- a written word. There's a living force in every word written in the Bible. When u recieved a revelation from any word via the Holy Spirit, It becomes 'RHEMA'. So, what i conceived from reading a particular versa in a chapter, can be different from what another person may concieve.
incongruent spiritual mumbo-Jumbo. . . All that nonsense they teach in CEC and all these Nigerian new generation churches.
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by k2039: 7:06pm On Nov 18, 2012
charlsecy4:
If they are, what is wrong with my saying that the Catholic Church are the first people to compile the Bible?
I just dont see the relevant of that to this thread

1 Like

Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by charlsecy4(m): 7:32pm On Nov 18, 2012
k2039: I just dont see the relevant of that to this thread

There is. Unfortunately, you admitted there isn't!
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by poweredcom(m): 7:56pm On Nov 18, 2012
Omo the bible is just a piece of best seller jare its partially correct because its has been adultrated and its not complete - so how do you call an incomplete book a sacred book

2 Likes

Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by SELFWORTH: 7:58pm On Nov 18, 2012
Kamxin: The catholic church have the holy spirit(Jn 16:12-13), thats why writing and interpreting our works is possible. Let dis be clear any written works by humans is an intellectual property, and so the issue of copyright is coming into play. Thats why you can't remove a single word from the koran (pirating) legally because it is a violation of copyright.

This is the BIBLE not Koran.

The documents of the Bible were not received in some trance-like state of the people who wrote them down. Nor is the Bible of the same form as, for instance, the Koran or the Book of Mormon. Moslems believe that the Koran was given directly from God without human intervention. Mormons believe their Book was copied straight from miraculous golden plates given by God.

The Bible consists of documents written by human beings. Christians believe that God used, but in no way distorted, the real-life characters of the writers in recording what they wrote. But God so guided the writers that what is written is what God has inspired to be written. Hence, for example, there are four eyewitness accounts of the life of Jesus Christ in the New Testament which record some of the same events with details that the writer himself saw or was impressed by that others do not record. Otherwise some record events that the others do not.

The documents of the whole Bible consist of real-life historical accounts, law books, poetry, wisdom writings, prophecies, eye witness accounts and letters. The whole Bible was written and compiled over a period of about 1,200 years. The authors of the documents were from varied backgrounds including statesmen, historians, leaders, prophets - who were priests, shepherds and farmers; governors, kings, a tax collector, a physician, a business man, a fisherman, and a theologically trained academic.

Most of these people never met and yet there is a fundamental unity about the whole Bible. This is most remarkable and very compelling, and leads to the conclusion that the Bible is much more than just a human document.

1 Like

Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by SELFWORTH: 8:05pm On Nov 18, 2012
rhymz: hahahahah. . .that is the excuse christians use when there is an obvious irreconcilable BULLSHYT that can't be explained. . . Who da Bleep is holyspirit? A mental invention I guess.

Really!!! You will understand one of these days hopefully before its too late.

Sincere Bible believing Christians would understand who the Holy Spirit is.
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by SELFWORTH: 8:14pm On Nov 18, 2012
poweredcom: Omo the bible is just a piece of best seller jare its partially correct because its has been adultrated and its not complete - so how do you call an incomplete book a sacred book

Its adultration has nothing to do with its divine nature or sacredness.

The phrase biblia sacra (holy books) first appeared sometime in the Middle Ages. In English, one of the earliest—if not the earliest—uses of “The Holy Bible” appeared in 1611 on the cover of the Authorized Version, known in the U.S. as the King James Version. The word holy has several meanings, and, all of them describe the Word of God.

One meaning of holy is “sacred, sanctified, hallowed.” When God spoke to Moses at the burning bush, He commanded Moses to remove his sandals because he was standing on holy ground. This was ground made holy by God’s presence. Because God is sacred, the words He speaks are also sacred, and sinful men such as Moses must be mindful of God’s holiness.

The Bible is called the Holy Book because it is the inspired Word of God and God is holy. (Also the Holy Word of God)
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by bamto(m): 9:13pm On Nov 18, 2012
Kamxin: this is 20, 21st century invention. There is no private interpretation (2Pet 1:20).
Where did you get that from? That verse says 'No prophecy of scripture comes about by the prophet's own imagination.'

1 Like

Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by Ninilowo(m): 9:21pm On Nov 18, 2012
It baffles me when people extrac a versse n start shouting around. To get the meaning of any verse, u gat to read the whole chapter and in some cases, the whole book (I am not saying th whole Bible oo)....... a book of the Bible e.g the book of Genesis or the book of esther.

1 Like

Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by k2039: 9:30pm On Nov 18, 2012
charlsecy4:

There is. Unfortunately, you admitted there isn't!
I already handle your answers on those link earlier in the post
https://www.nairaland.com/1106564/does-each-bible-text-fixed#13011505
https://www.nairaland.com/1106564/does-each-bible-text-fixed#13012361
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by shdemidemi(m): 10:52pm On Nov 18, 2012
firstly..ask yourself why u read the bible
answer... it is to know the heart of God and think like God
truely d bible verses are fixed but beholding it as if it were a mirror increases wisdom.
cos u start to be a mirror of what u read and u undestand it more than someone that browses through.so no spirit is interpreting
study and increase with knowledge.
Re: Does Each Bible Text Have A Fixed Interpretation? by Abbey2sam(m): 11:24pm On Nov 18, 2012
k2039:

Your claim is laughable.

knowing how to read is not where it really ends, seriously

he said copywrite n not the writer, even though he's wrong

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. / Crusifiy Me If You Want. / Theory Of Nations- Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Phd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.