Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:52 AM

Pagans/traditionalists What Is Your Attitude Towards The Issue Of Homosexuality? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pagans/traditionalists What Is Your Attitude Towards The Issue Of Homosexuality? (1150 Views)

Happy New Year Nairaland Pagans/traditionalists / Traditionalists Demand Public Holidays, Board, Political Appointments / Oro Traditionalists Perform Pastor Ajanaku 's Burial Rites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pagans/traditionalists What Is Your Attitude Towards The Issue Of Homosexuality? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:08pm On Nov 18, 2012
i know xtians and muslims are 100% ant-gay. however what about us i for one am confused. for example, i support cases where there are physical reasons such as hormone imbalance, etc.

or should we should we just leave it to say: Let them do what they want as long as they dont harm/interfere with us.
Re: Pagans/traditionalists What Is Your Attitude Towards The Issue Of Homosexuality? by pastormustwacc: 8:12pm On Nov 18, 2012
Are you the only pagan on this board?
Re: Pagans/traditionalists What Is Your Attitude Towards The Issue Of Homosexuality? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:42pm On Nov 18, 2012
so it seems! shocked

WHERE ARE MY PAGAN BROTHERS AND SISTERS??!!!!!! tongue

1 Like

Re: Pagans/traditionalists What Is Your Attitude Towards The Issue Of Homosexuality? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Mar 13, 2013
As a future pagan, lemme say I'm agaisnt, It's against nature and pagan respect the Nature.my 2cents
Re: Pagans/traditionalists What Is Your Attitude Towards The Issue Of Homosexuality? by okeyxyz(m): 8:27pm On Mar 13, 2013
@OP
The question is: what is your paganism based on? Is it based on the observation, interpretation and perfection of nature or is it based on the perversion of nature? This is a simple but powerful criteria to evaluate whatever spiritual(not secular) values you choose. You made mention of hormonal imbalances that lead to homos.exuality, in other words a hormonal imbalance indicates a disease or disability. So when does a disease become the pinnacle of values to be celebrated and imitated? It is alright to accommodate homos.exuality in a secular system but it seems to have no place in spirituality, it absolutely has no place in true chritianity. The anglican church who modify their doctrine to embrace homos.exuality have clearly demonstrated that they are not christian, But i digress...

So the question for you is: What is your paganism based on? The perfection of nature or the perversion or digression from it?? Of course whatever you choose is your prerogative.
Re: Pagans/traditionalists What Is Your Attitude Towards The Issue Of Homosexuality? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:23pm On Mar 14, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: As a future pagan, lemme say I'm agaisnt, It's against nature and pagan respect the Nature.my 2cents

point noted.

homosexualtiy is of many types. for example that which is due to temptations and lack of guidance, that could be changed, and the other of a more physical nature (disability).
Re: Pagans/traditionalists What Is Your Attitude Towards The Issue Of Homosexuality? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:23pm On Mar 14, 2013
okeyxyz: @OP
The question is: what is your paganism based on? Is it based on the observation, interpretation and perfection of nature or is it based on the perversion of nature? This is a simple but powerful criteria to evaluate whatever spiritual(not secular) values you choose. You made mention of hormonal imbalances that lead to homos.exuality, in other words a hormonal imbalance indicates a disease or disability. So when does a disease become the pinnacle of values to be celebrated and imitated? It is alright to accommodate homos.exuality in a secular system but it seems to have no place in spirituality, it absolutely has no place in true chritianity. The anglican church who modify their doctrine to embrace homos.exuality have clearly demonstrated that they are not christian, But i digress...

So the question for you is: What is your paganism based on? The perfection of nature or the perversion or digression from it?? Of course whatever you choose is your prerogative.

It is based on Observation, Interpretation and Perfection. what has Spirituality got to do with Secularity? yes it indicates a disability. no one is celeberating homosexuality here. we are discussing its acceptance. to be honest, as you said , it has nothing to do with Spiriuality, which is what Paganism is about. Unlike christianity and islam, our religions dont interfere in such issues as human laws regarding social and moral conduct. I just opened this thread to ask the opinions of Pagans from different backgrounds on this issue.
Re: Pagans/traditionalists What Is Your Attitude Towards The Issue Of Homosexuality? by okeyxyz(m): 8:17pm On Mar 14, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

It is based on Observation, Interpretation and Perfection. what has Spirituality got to do with Secularity? yes it indicates a disability. no one is celeberating homosexuality here. we are discussing its acceptance. to be honest, as you said , it has nothing to do with Spiriuality, which is what Paganism is about. Unlike christianity and islam, our religions dont interfere in such issues as human laws regarding social and moral conduct. I just opened this thread to ask the opinions of Pagans from different backgrounds on this issue.

Well, one question I have for you is this: Is s.exuality important in your pagan doctrine and practice? Or is it simply relegated to base animal instincts that humans have to contend with? But what I know is that s.exuality CANNOT be separated from christianity\spirituality, It is the core on which christian values are built upon. Note that this is not mainstream christian thinking, but then I say to you that mainstream christian institutions have no understanding of the principles upon which christianity is based.

Also, True christianity does not impose on secular\human values and Laws like what christian institutions do today; Christian institutions of today are simply political bodies masquerading as spiritual bodies, Else they'd know that chistian doctrine commands us to participate in secular activities and institutions but to keep them separate from our spiritual affairs.
Re: Pagans/traditionalists What Is Your Attitude Towards The Issue Of Homosexuality? by onetrack(m): 9:35pm On Mar 14, 2013
Atheist here, but I could recommend you look at the attitudes of Native Americans who kept their religious traditions and avoided Christianization to the best they could. They did not recognize a homosexual identity in the western sense; they often recognized a 'third gender' which included people whose gender identity or sexual orientation was not typical. But these individuals often served as priests because it was believed that they could access spirits of both genders in the spirit world.

In Africa, the prechristian/preislamic attitudes towards same-sex sexual activity are quite varied. However, the western concept of the homosexual identity also did not exist here. Effeminate men often took the female role and lived as a woman. There are instances of them serving as a second or third 'wife' to a man.

I am not aware of any traditional/pagan practice in which homosexuals were put to death for being homosexual. Human sacrifice did take place in a few cultures but homosexuals were not particularly targeted. Remember also that Africa prior to colonialism was very much a rural place, with most people living in small villages where everyone knows each other, and villages where everyone knows each other and which have strong social bonds generally are more tolerant of people with unusual behaviors because they know him/her personally and see him/her as a friend/fellow human being first.

1 Like

Re: Pagans/traditionalists What Is Your Attitude Towards The Issue Of Homosexuality? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Mar 14, 2013
onetrack: Atheist here, but I could recommend you look at the attitudes of Native Americans who kept their religious traditions and avoided Christianization to the best they could. They did not recognize a homosexual identity in the western sense; they often recognized a 'third gender' which included people whose gender identity or sexual orientation was not typical. But these individuals often served as priests because it was believed that they could access spirits of both genders in the spirit world.

In Africa, the prechristian/preislamic attitudes towards same-sex sexual activity are quite varied. However, the western concept of the homosexual identity also did not exist here. Effeminate men often took the female role and lived as a woman. There are instances of them serving as a second or third 'wife' to a man.

I am not aware of any traditional/pagan practice in which homosexuals were put to death for being homosexual. Human sacrifice did take place in a few cultures but homosexuals were not particularly targeted. Remember also that Africa prior to colonialism was very much a rural place, with most people living in small villages where everyone knows each other, and villages where everyone knows each other and which have strong social bonds generally are more tolerant of people with unusual behaviors because they know him/her personally and see him/her as a friend/fellow human being first.
good point.
Re: Pagans/traditionalists What Is Your Attitude Towards The Issue Of Homosexuality? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:22am On Mar 15, 2013
okeyxyz:

Well, one question I have for you is this: Is s.exuality important in your pagan doctrine and practice? Or is it simply relegated to base animal instincts that humans have to contend with? But what I know is that s.exuality CANNOT be separated from christianity\spirituality, It is the core on which christian values are built upon. Note that this is not mainstream christian thinking, but then I say to you that mainstream christian institutions have no understanding of the principles upon which christianity is based.

Also, True christianity does not impose on secular\human values and Laws like what christian institutions do today; Christian institutions of today are simply political bodies masquerading as spiritual bodies, Else they'd know that chistian doctrine commands us to participate in secular activities and institutions but to keep them separate from our spiritual affairs.

No Its not important. Many of our Gods are depicted as half-man/half-woman, half-animal/half-humans. The SPiritual Forces are depicted in such ways to symbolize the balance of forces.
Paganism does not encourage us or interfere in secular activities and institiution. these belong to the material world. however it is a different matter, that humans tend to employ religious matters in secular issues. For example, oracles and soothsayrs were the righthand men of Kings in the past (and even now at times). However this is different as the secular matter is not dictated in our religions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pagans/traditionalists What Is Your Attitude Towards The Issue Of Homosexuality? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:23am On Mar 15, 2013
onetrack: Atheist here, but I could recommend you look at the attitudes of Native Americans who kept their religious traditions and avoided Christianization to the best they could. They did not recognize a homosexual identity in the western sense; they often recognized a 'third gender' which included people whose gender identity or sexual orientation was not typical. But these individuals often served as priests because it was believed that they could access spirits of both genders in the spirit world.

yes well said. Many Tribes around the world give the role of priests/trad-doctors/shamans to transgenders because they represent the sublime balance (the basic concept of Paganism). I have heard it done in the African Continent as well. I dont remember what tribe. I will research into it.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

‘’…i Have Seen Jesus Often..’’ (smith Wigglesworth) / Deeper Life December Retreat 2013-what Are Your Expectations? / What Went Wrong Exactly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.