Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,359 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola (7872 Views)

More Lagos Schools Where Pupils Sit On Bare Floors Unearthed / The State Of The English Language In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by sejere: 1:06pm On Nov 19, 2012
soon, a chinese governor 4 Lagos, and they will buy Lagos state off. wetin we want take chinese language take do. we neva speak about 288 languages we get for naija. IS THIS VISIONARY? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by MOREWLL: 1:30pm On Nov 19, 2012
Please can anybody explain the economic benefit of this chin chon language issue.It is on record that US is the largest trading patner of China and has not dimmed fit to itroduce their language in their schools,really someone is not telling us the truth,i felt some hiden agenda somewhere.

Slavery via language abi
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Adeyeancah(m): 4:10pm On Nov 19, 2012
“Wǒ yào hē” means “I want to
drink.”
For instance: wo yao he "garri"...

1 Like

Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Adeyeancah(m): 4:15pm On Nov 19, 2012
Hello everyone, welcome to Micro-
Class. This is Adeyinka, the most popular
Mandarin teacher in the world.
Today I am going to teach you
something very very important. Now
imagine we are in the restaurant or a
bar and we are going to order
something to drink. Now this is what
you say:
“Wǒ yào hē píjiǔ.”
“Wǒ yào hē píjiǔ.”
drink.”
drink.”
And the most three popular drinks
here are “píjiǔ”, “kāfēi” , and “kělè”.
“Píjiǔ” means “beer,” “kā fēi” means
“coffee,” while “kělè” means “coke”.
“Wǒ yào hē píjiǔ.”
“Wǒ yào hē kāfēi.”
“Wǒ yàohē kělè.”
“I want to drink beer.”
“I want to drink coffee.”
And “I want to drink coke.”
OK, did you get it? Come with me,
Let’s see how we use it.
SCENE 1:
A: Nǐ yào hē shénme?
B: Wǒ yào hē píjiǔ.
B: Wǒ yào hē kāfēi.
B: Wǒ yào hē kělè.
A: Hǎo de.
SCENE 2:
Let’s hear that one more time:
Wǒ yào hē píjiǔ.
Wǒ yào hē kāfēi.
Wǒ yào hē kělè.
It's easy as ABC!
Oya pay me my money...lol

1 Like

Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by EkoIle1: 5:39pm On Nov 19, 2012
afam4eva: I don't know when our rulers will grow some brain and protect their own cultural heritage rather than try to import everything that comes from outside. People have not finished learning English yet you want to add Chinese into the mix thereby putting our indigenous language at the mercy of extinction.

Looks like China is importing everything from outside too including Nigerian culture.

You people are too shallow and myopic..

Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Afam4eva(m): 5:40pm On Nov 19, 2012
Eko Ile:

Looks like China is importing everything from outside too including Nigerian culture.

You people are too shallow and myopic..

What's your point...Are you on drugs?
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by EkoIle1: 5:43pm On Nov 19, 2012
afam4eva:
What's your point...Are you on drugs?

You were on drugs for your post that I quoted with the picture, you are also on drugs and brainless for asking me this dumb question and not knowing the meaning of culture and heritage in your post.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Afam4eva(m): 5:44pm On Nov 19, 2012
Eko Ile:

You were on drugs for your post that I quoted with the picture, you are also on drugs and brainless for asking me this dumb question.
What's the name?
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by surugede(m): 5:57pm On Nov 19, 2012
This is what Chinese does to people.

Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Mgbadike80: 6:12pm On Nov 19, 2012
9ja na mumu,i was forced to learn three languages and yet i can't construct a sentence in french. As africans, french is far strategic than chinese but i guess most nigerians are too ignorant to know why
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by kozykid(m): 6:46pm On Nov 19, 2012
cant even remember the french i learnt for 10 years not to talk of 1 chinko language abeg make we hear word joor fashola angry
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Nobody: 8:51pm On Nov 19, 2012
China is the world's fastest growing economy. They already own almost 50% of the U.S economy. Fashola is a leader with vision. If lagosians learn to speak chines,they will be at a huge advantage in future. Since Nigeria n leaders and religious leaders are busy riding private jets, learning Chines will be a reasonable option for those who have the future of their kids at heart.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Nobody: 11:16pm On Nov 19, 2012
Nin jiao shenme minzi?
Yi er san si wu liu qi ba...
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by mvwealth: 12:00am On Nov 20, 2012
we neva learn french well na chun chy we won go learn grin..add ma pin joor..babes 32fbd6f0
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by redsun(m): 12:24am On Nov 20, 2012
Civilizations rises and falls.China is on the rise again and major tool a civilization uses to passively conquere minds ans subjects is language.It steals the minds and submissions of the conquered without physical force and inturn sysyematically obliterate their ways and common sense.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Graphicfr3ak(m): 6:49am On Nov 20, 2012
In my own opinion, i think it doesn't make sense. Why the Bleep should i learn your language just because u reside in my country. You don't see then studying yoruba or igbo or hausor even english in their country just because we go threre do you..... angry
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by bigboy3: 9:06am On Nov 20, 2012
In my opinion, It doesn't make sense and there's more to this. I know the chinese are doing alot in Africa, there's no free meal anywhere. In as much as exposure is good, its one thing to speak your mother tongue, it is another to read and write. How many Nigerians can write or read Hausa, Ibo, Yoruba, Ibibio, Efik etc & how many of us even remember the french we learnt in primary school? I know its optional but its alot of pressure all the same.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by haibe(m): 1:34pm On Nov 20, 2012
sheyguy: When most students can hardly use English fluently. Fashola should apply maturity in whatever he chooses to do with our language here, There is no place like home, our Language and culture defines our home to a large extent.

Most you said! At least not everyone is dull, besides he dint force it on anyone who cant cope.

I think fashola did the right thing..kudos to him.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by londoner: 3:56pm On Nov 20, 2012
Nigerians and their love for short cuts....trying to align yourself with the "next big thing", does not make you great in your own right.

Be great yourself and then you can stand shoulder to shoulder with Chinese business men and women, instead of preparing yourselves and your children to be subservient to them in your own country.

Looking for crumbs from the masters table...........lol

Have Nigerians given up on their own capabilities to become a power in their own right,or what?

Instead of teaching the Chinese language, they should teach the Chinese work ethic and business acumen, that will serve Lagos and Nigeria better in its own journey and future relationship with the Chinese as real trading partners.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by londoner: 4:15pm On Nov 20, 2012
@Banki......I learned French at school and Spanish, why? Because they are neighbouring countries and a united Europe was being formed, certainly not because the English saw them as having a superior future and should prepare themselves for domination....lol

While British Children learn French etc....the British government actively maintains their position as UK citizens worldwide. You can see this with the British counsel in every country in the world, their position in the European Union.......even with royalty constantly travelling the world and underlining the IMPRESSION importance of Britain and the British, in the minds of former colonies and political partners.

There is a RECIPROCAL RELATIONSHIP in Europe.......you can learn French, Spanish, German, Italian for the same reason and even Mandarin Chinese, but rest assured.......ALL OF THOSE NATIONS ARE LEARNING ENGLISH TO A GREATER EXTENT, because they ALSO need to.

That is by no coincidence.

Therefore, citizens of ALL those nations have value and are bought into by the other.

THAT is the difference.

Of all the Chinese businesses coming into Nigeria......how many of them do you think learn a Nigerian language before hand in their schools and colleges, how many of them even see any value in it?

Or even in Nigerians?

It is not wrong to learn Chinese but, its as if Nigerians are being groomed to bend their knee, rather than step up to stand toe to toe with the Chinese.

Trading partners rather than trading masters.............
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by charlsecy4(m): 4:33pm On Nov 20, 2012
While it's the parents' responsibility to teach their children their language, it's the duty of teachers to impart the logic of Yoruba grammar to the students.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by babsomotde(m): 12:27am On Nov 21, 2012
Wait...Is Fashola trying to say that Chinese language is better than our indigenous Language or what? Students are yet to understand french better and Fashola is introducing Chinese. Well, I have my stand as before. It is not encouraging. Because we are yet to see our languages in the mouths of our children. Some of the students can even speak their mother tongues, correctly. Our languages are at the edge of dieing-off Instead, let Fashola make our dialect a must for students to study. Thanks.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by kloverneon(m): 4:05pm On Apr 02, 2017
How far with the Chinese thing?

(1) (2) (Reply)

WAEC Faces Lawsuit Over Seizure Of Students Results / Sbrs-abu Funtua(shortlisted Candidates 010/011) / Project Topics And Materials In Entrepreneurship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.