Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,625 members, 7,827,335 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:44 AM

Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant (4937 Views)

Saraki In Delta To Commiserate With Senator Nwabuoshi / ​$700m Second Niger Bridge Money Missing, Oshiomhole Insists / Switzerland Returns Abacha's $700m Loot To Nigerian Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by wesley80(m): 6:59am On Nov 20, 2012

Gulf of Guinea Oil Exploration Limited (GGOEX) has announced the establishment of a $700 million (N109.02 billion) methanol plant in Nigeria in 2015. The plant, with a capacity of 850,000 metric tonnes of Methanol productions annually will be the largest in West Africa. The company said it has selected the Mitsubishi Methanol Process (MMP) as process technology for the establishment of the plant. The “Delta Methanol Plant” has a nameplate capacity of 2,500 metric tons of Federal Grade AA Methanol per day which is a key product for the chemical and petrochemical industry in the production of Acetic Acid (solvents), MTBE (octane enhancer), Formaldehyde (resins, adhesives) and others. The new plant is expected to come online in 2015. The project will be the first commercial-scale installation of the MMP process in Methanol production technologies in West Africa and would be located at the Gas Industrial park in Delta State. The cost of the project will debt-equity financed by International Financial Corporation (IFC) and fund syndication from local banks. GGOEX is currently processing a Due Diligence Assessment with the Gas Aggregation Company of Nigeria (GACN) and discussions with the Federal Government of Nigeria are on-going. The project is expected to enhance the monetization of Nigeria’s huge Gas potentials. Project Co-coordinator, Emmanuel Ejemurua, an engineer disclosed that the objective is to develop, own and operate Nigeria’s first methanol manufacturing and exporting plant, in accordance with the aspirations of Nigeria’s Gas revolution for the diversification of the country’s economy and development of midstream industries from gas resources. He also stated that global demand for methanol was growing at around 4 percent annually. “The Delta Methanol Plant is ideally located to supply its major export markets in Europe and expectations are high that it will produce a competitive product, bring added value to society and further contribute to industrial growth in Nigeria.” GGOEX is an Integrated Energy Company established to take advantage of the opportunities available in the Gulf of Guinea by engaging in the exploration, development and production of Gas Assets in established and emerging frontiers in the Gulf of Guinea.
www.newsite.businessdayonline.com/gulf-guinea-establish-700m-methanol-plant-nigeria

Seems Uduaghans 'industrial Park' initiative might come good afterall.
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by Nobody: 10:20am On Nov 20, 2012
Let's wait to see it.
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by victorch: 10:21am On Nov 20, 2012
veri gud,, it gonna improve nigerian economy,,,,, first to comment at last
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by bory09(m): 10:24am On Nov 20, 2012
This a good development. But the completion of the project is something to worry about
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by Obidonreal: 10:25am On Nov 20, 2012
good one 4 delta,but they nid 2 develope one in abj n other parts of naija
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by tomakint: 10:35am On Nov 20, 2012
I have always believed in the economic prospects of the South-South region of the country, their last concluded 'BRACED SUMMIT' was indeed an eye-opener for those who want to invest big time in the region. I must have my company in that region, precisely Cross River and Akwa-Ibom! 'BRACED' means;
B - Bayelsa
R - Rivers
A - Akwa-Ibom
C - Cross River
E - Edo
D - Delta
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by duality(m): 10:41am On Nov 20, 2012
This is not the kind of news that most nairalanders want to read. its not bad news.

kudos to delta state

1 Like

Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by slimming: 10:43am On Nov 20, 2012
start first.
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by Demdem(m): 10:43am On Nov 20, 2012
Am happy for this. Hope it comes up on schedule.
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by Nobody: 10:50am On Nov 20, 2012
Such news undecided undecided
It would probably come to existence in my children's time
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by wesley80(m): 10:52am On Nov 20, 2012
Demdem: Am happy for this. Hope it comes up on schedule.
Yeah it should. A little acknowledgement that the "retardeen" must be doing somethings right wont be out of place.
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by aglomar: 10:53am On Nov 20, 2012
That's great!
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by Demdem(m): 10:56am On Nov 20, 2012
wesley80: Yeah it should. A little acknowledgement that the "retardeen" must be doing somethings right wont be out of place.

and where were u when i rated the Retardeen 9% since the beginning of this admin? if he is completely idle, i would have rated him 0%
Whatever he may be doing is still so minute and nothing to write home about especially when u place it side by side with the resources at his disposal (economic/human/financial)
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by wesley80(m): 11:02am On Nov 20, 2012
Demdem:

and where were u when i rated the Retardeen 9% since the beginning of this admin? if he is completely idle, i would have rated him 0%
Whatever he may be doing is still so minute and nothing to write home about especially when u place it side by side with the resources at his disposal (economic/human/financial)
If a honest analysis of your entire life accomplishments so far were to be rated using same yardstick used in scoring GEJ 9%, what do you think you'll score? Honestly now.
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by Nobody: 11:03am On Nov 20, 2012
Another project that won't take off. I really hope it does though.
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by AfroBlue(m): 11:07am On Nov 20, 2012
fyi, watch out for underground water contamination issues

Legislation and litigation in the U.S.
Main article: Methyl tert-butyl ether controversy

MTBE removal from groundwater and soil contamination in the U.S. is estimated to cost from $1 billion[14] to $30 billion,[15] including removing the compound from aquifers and municipal water supplies and replacing leaky underground oil tanks. In one case, the cost to oil companies to clean up the MTBE in wells belonging to Santa Monica is estimated to exceed $200 million.[16] In another case, the City of New York estimated a $250 million cost for cleanup of a single wellfield in Queens, NY.[17]

MTBE is banned in the US states of California and New York, starting January 1, 2004. As of September 2005, twenty-five states had signed legislation banning MTBE. (A table of state by state information, as of 2007, is available at the United States Department of Energy website.[18])

In 2000, the U.S. EPA drafted plans to phase out the use of MTBE nationwide over four years. As of fall 2006, hundreds of lawsuits are still pending regarding MTBE contamination of public and private drinking water supplies.

The Energy Policy Act of 2005, passed in the U.S. House of Representatives, did not include a provision for shielding MTBE manufacturers from water contamination lawsuits. This provision was first proposed in 2003 and had been thought by some to be a priority of Tom DeLay and Rep. Joe Barton, then chairman of the Energy and Commerce Committee.[19] This bill did include a provision that gives MTBE makers, including some major oil companies, $2 billion in transition assistance as MTBE is phased out over the next nine years.[20] Due to opposition in the Senate,[21] the conference report dropped all MTBE provisions. The final bill was passed by both houses and signed into law by President Bush.[22] The lack of MTBE liability protection is resulting in a switchover to the use of ethanol as a gasoline additive. Some traders and consumer advocates are blaming this for an increase in gasoline prices.[23]

The U.S. EPA currently lists MTBE as a candidate for a maximum contaminant level (MCL) in drinking water.[24] MCLs are determined by the EPA using toxicity data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_tert-butyl_ether
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by Demdem(m): 11:09am On Nov 20, 2012
wesley80: If a honest analysis of your entire life accomplishments so far were to be rated using same yardstick used in scoring GEJ 9%, what do you think you'll score? Honestly now.

Am no public figure, the retardeen is and its his choice. Yours is none of my business the same way mine is none of ur business. Again i re-iterate 9% for the retardeen
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by Nobody: 11:14am On Nov 20, 2012
I sincerely hope to see it...
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by wesley80(m): 11:15am On Nov 20, 2012
Demdem:

Am no public figure, the retardeen is and its his choice. Yours is none of my business the same way mine is none of ur business. Again i re-iterate 9% for the retardeen
My friend score yourself and stop giving flimsy excuses.
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by Demdem(m): 11:15am On Nov 20, 2012
wesley80:
My friend score yourself and stop giving flimsy excuses.

I have and its none of ur business. DEAL WITH THAT grin grin
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by salolo(m): 11:48am On Nov 20, 2012
great
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by BarryX(m): 12:11pm On Nov 20, 2012
This is not the first time we've heard some bogus white elephant project by the Government. Infact some few years back we heard the Delta tourism project and a touted processing plant somewhere in Koko, has anybody seen these projects seen the light of day? I don't want to sound too critical of these administration but i detest a situation where Deltans are taken for a roller-coaster ride all in the name of propaganda projects. Until i glaringly start seeing these projects up and running...THEY SHOULD GO AND BOIL IGNEOUS ROCKS for all i care. **kparanga on my mind**
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by lorddannie: 12:14pm On Nov 20, 2012
Demdem:

when have you become a rating agency? Demdem retardeen rating agency!
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by Demdem(m): 12:16pm On Nov 20, 2012
lorddannie: when have you become a rating agency? Demdem retardeen rating agency!

Foool, when did i stop having an opinion? Use ur brain dumb.
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by Imyourex(m): 12:24pm On Nov 20, 2012
bory09: This a good development. But the completion of the project is something to worry about

That's the point.
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by sanandreas(m): 12:48pm On Nov 20, 2012
Uduanghan dnt worry. Continue using our oil money to invest. U will loose all like ifeanyi Uba.
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by kingmackey: 2:27pm On Nov 20, 2012
"The new plant is expected to come online in 2015. The project will be the first commercial-scale installation of the MMP process in Methanol production technologies in West Africa and would be located at the Gas Industrial park in Delta State".

There is already a functioning Methanol Plant in Bioko Island in Equitorial Guinea. I wonder if Equitorial Guinea is not in West Africa.
So they should not bambozoo us with this lie
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by deletrue: 2:32pm On Nov 20, 2012
Demdem:

some of your kind is just in existence without reasons. Of what are you if you are for the sake that you are only a human because you have two eyes, two legs etc otherwise you are nothing but empty drum making meaningless noise. Seriously, some of you requires some instructive lessons to convert your entity. What is none of your business, none of my business, so whose business is it? Why must you comment here if it is no body's business?
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by deletrue: 2:46pm On Nov 20, 2012
kingmackey: "The new plant is expected to come online in 2015. The project will be the first commercial-scale installation of the MMP process in Methanol production technologies in West Africa and would be located at the Gas Industrial park in Delta State".

There is already a functioning Methanol Plant in Bioko Island in Equitorial Guinea. I wonder if Equitorial Guinea is not in West Africa.
So they should not bambozoo us with this lie
brother, i do not want to make any comments about delta. Vanguard news paper and very recent punch has blocked my entry into their comments column because of udeaghan stories which are without any single truth. Am not from delta, but i can bet any body on earth that any issues about delta, i swear, can never be true. Now he is busy escavating some of the road, i bet you that these roads cannot last up to the next rainy seasons.
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by Demdem(m): 2:56pm On Nov 20, 2012
deletrue: some of your kind is just in existence without reasons. Of what are you if you are for the sake that you are only a human because you have two eyes, two legs etc otherwise you are nothing but empty drum making meaningless noise. Seriously, some of you requires some instructive lessons to convert your entity. What is none of your business, none of my business, so whose business is it? Why must you comment here if it is no body's business?

And left to u, u feel u have made sense right? To be honest, i think u are dumb.
If i had given him a figure, how will he be able to ascertain if what i gave was true or not? At the end of the day, he will simply talk crap that has no basis because he knows absolutely nothing about the subject matter. i would have also love him starting from his humble self grin grin
In contrast, the retardeen is different. No body is interested in assessing him as regards his personal life but public life and that explains my convictions.
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by jmaine: 3:26pm On Nov 20, 2012
wesley80: If a honest analysis of your entire life accomplishments so far were to be rated using same yardstick used in scoring GEJ 9%, what do you think you'll score? Honestly now.

This was too mean of you Wesley80 cheesy
Re: Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant by wesley80(m): 3:26pm On Nov 20, 2012
Demdem:

And left to u, u feel u have made sense right? To be honest, i think u are dumb.
If i had given him a figure, how will he be able to ascertain if what i gave was true or not? At the end of the day, he will simply talk crap that has no basis because he knows absolutely nothing about the subject matter. i would have also love him starting from his humble self grin grin
In contrast, the retardeen is different. No body is interested in assessing him as regards his personal life but public life and that explains my convictions.
I was only trying to make a point duh! I believe my point was made the sec you started evading subjecting yourself to same myopic judgement you were in a hurry to subject others.

(1) (2) (Reply)

25 Shocking Things You Never Knew About Patience Jonathan / Pastor JT Kalejaye Bombs Goodluck Jonathan / A Hilarious Picture Of A People Gossiping Yorubas Over Hausa/yoruba Clash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.