Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,333 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? (10279 Views)

The Difference Between An Alligator And A Crocodile / See The Two Words No Dictionary Can Explain The Difference Between Them. / What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by bolex(m): 1:21am On Apr 21, 2006
It's time to get academic

What is the difference between

SARCASM and IRONY ??

I think irony is different from sarcasm because Irony is a form of Sarcasm

grin
Re: What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by kitkat1(m): 1:46am On Apr 21, 2006
it really doesent matter cause if you got any of them your screwed[color=#990000][/color]
Re: What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by hotangel2(f): 3:06am On Apr 21, 2006
Irony --- When u say something, but u really mean the opposite

Sarcasm -- When u say something, you mean the opposite, but u want the person u r talking to, to feel as if u mean wat u are saying.

Actually, Let's go to the dictionary.
IRONY -- The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
Sarcasm -- # A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

I like my definition better.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by WesleyanA(f): 3:39am On Apr 21, 2006
bolex:

I think irony is different from sarcasm because Irony is a form of Sarcasm

grin

actually, Sarcasm is a form of Irony.

Irony comes in many forms.
embarassedwhen you expect something but the opposite of what you expect happens
ex. there has been a drought for 10 years so a farmer starves himself to save all his money in that 10 years to build a well. the day after the comletion of the well, a heavy rain falls and rain continues to fall periodically after wards.

sad When your watching a movie. You know the character's husband died in a car accident (because you saw it happen in a scene) but the character doesn't know and prepares his dinner and waits for him until 12pm.
that's another example of irony.

something like this is ironic: "I'm not mad angry angry I'm happy actually angry angry"
you know the person is mad because of his facial expression/ emoticons.

Sarcasm is the same as Irony except it's meant to be funny or mean/rude
when someone accidentally drops his lunch, does something stupid and you clap and say "good job! cheesy" you're being sarcastic.
or if you say something like: "rolflmao you're sooo pretty lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed"
that's a sarcastic comment.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by hotangel2(f): 3:44am On Apr 21, 2006
Ohh boy, english sucks.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by WesleyanA(f): 3:45am On Apr 21, 2006
It does. undecided
Re: What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by bolex(m): 3:48am On Apr 21, 2006
WesleyanA:

It does. undecided

hot-angel:

Ohh boy, english sucks.

It does sucks well

Like ,

cool undecided lipsrsealed

***sighs***
Re: What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by hotangel2(f): 3:49am On Apr 21, 2006
Yeah it does.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by reniks(f): 10:25pm On Apr 21, 2006
Irony is a subtle sarcasm,meant to be humorous.The meaning intended is the opposite of the word/s used.Sarcasm is used mainly to hurt,through taunts,jeers,mockery ridicule and stuff like that.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by kitkat1(m): 11:17pm On Apr 21, 2006
you know why do any of us care i mean it allways happen to us and that is the only thing they got in common angry
Re: What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by WesleyanA(f): 12:24am On Apr 22, 2006
reniks:

Irony is a subtle sarcasm

sighs  undecided

Irony isn't a type or form of sarcasm.
It's the other way round.
sarcasm is mean/humorous Irony.

kit kat:

you know why do any of us care i mean it allways happen to us and that is the only thing they got in common angry

You need to know the difference if you want to become a writer or any kind of professional (screenwriting e.t.c). I guess it's for proper usage undecided
Seun's new satire site for example relies heavily on the use of satire. So it's not that bad to learn this stuff.

I feel bad for english teachers sometimes sad It's so complicated.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by nubian(m): 12:27am On Apr 22, 2006
@wesleyan

u are right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by reniks(f): 1:31pm On Apr 22, 2006
@wesleyan,are you giving the dictionary definition or ur personal definition?Anyway i checked my dictionary first and the dictionary is "Websters New World Dictionary"2nd college edition.Besides as a language student have had to deal with the two words frequently.So i'll stick with my definition for now.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by endure: 4:32pm On Apr 22, 2006
U all got kool contributions and a wonderful answer. Any teacher would score u all a high score.
But I on my part see Sarcasm as a form of Irony, though Sarcasm aims at criticising the person refered to.
U can take an example of this

IRONY - This is the best football team having lost 4 of 5 matches. Meaning: Dats the laziest or worst team.

Sarcasm - This are the 'The Holy men' that will enter heaven alive. As u know, no man enters heaven alive, but it is actually meant to criticise the altitude of those persons refered to.

I guess my opinion will help a bit in ur knowlege. U can reach me privately for any more colum via nd_smart2luv@yahoo.com

Luv U all kiss cool cheesy
Re: What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by reniks(f): 8:34pm On Apr 22, 2006
I just wanna add this to my previous post. My dictionary defines irony thus;a method of humorous or subtly sarcastic expression in which the intended meaning is the direct opposite of their usual sense[the irony of calling a stupid plan clever].Sarcasm is however defined as a taunting,sneering,cutting,or caustic remark;gibe or jeer generally ironical.In essence irony has elements of sarcasm and vice versa.I wasn't even considering one as a type of another.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by WesleyanA(f): 10:00pm On Apr 23, 2006
cool cheesy

I'll stick w/ mine too.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by reniks(f): 10:21pm On Apr 23, 2006
Cool!
Re: What Is The Difference Between Sarcasm And Irony ? by 22okezie: 8:46pm On Feb 10, 2010
There is a discrepancy between Sarcasm and Irony in literature in English.
Now let me tackle it by looking at them by their definition, sarcasm is a statement that is meant to hurt the feeling of somebody or a listener and is therefore an ironical statement in the other way round while an irony is the opposite of what someone has in mind. There are three types of irony, situational irony, dramatic irony and verbal irony.
Example of a sarcastic statement is just like saying :
1. Mr John is a man of wisdom but when he dies wisdom will equally be buried with him in the grave. This is only trying to hurt or make Mr John to feel bad and it is an open speech.
Irony:
2. Uche is the tallest boy in our class. Considering the fact that Uche is short and the speaker ironically or indirectly trying to say that Uche is the shortest boy in their class.
Any more thing on the difference between sarcasm and irony should be sent to my email below: emmaezesco@yahoo.com

(1) (Reply)

JAMB 2016/2017 CBT Possible/likely Objectives Questions & Answers For Government / UNIBEN Students Told To Resume As University Cancels ₦20,000 Registration Fee / 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.