Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,044 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:27 AM

Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies (7163 Views)

Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 / Five Ridiculous Questions With Obvious Answers Asked In Nollywood Movies / Five Ways Hollywood Movies Are As Bad As Nollywood Movies. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Orikinla(m): 8:26pm On Nov 20, 2012
If you are a regular follower of Nollywood movies, you would have noticed the latest characteristics of unnecessary screaming and shouting by the actors and actresses and you wonder whether they have hearing problems or just suffering from Histrionic Personality Disorder (HPD).

I have once mentioned about Nollywood actresses cat walking in their nightgowns when they alone in bedroom and you wonder whether Ini Edo is swaying her buttocks to herself or for the camera men?

By the screaming and shouting matches scenes in their trailers they erroneously think their histrionics will make people rush to the cinemas to watch their teleplays being shown at the local cinemas?

As the veteran Nigerian filmmaker Chief Eddie Ugbomah said that what should have been given to TV stations as television drama is rushed to the local cinemas that are showing home videos starring popular Nollywood stars even if its crap, because there are not enough good foreign movies to show to make ends meet, otherwise they will not be able to make enough from the box office to keep the generators running and pay salaries. But should that be enough excuse not to insist on showing good movies and not stage dramas shot on video?

The following is on Chief Eddie Ugbomah on Nigerian movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWYy3jS9d3Q

Only few Nollywood producers are really making good movies and even their movies have not brought out the best in our actors and actresses as noted by the Nollywood diva Nse Ikpe Etim who said she is yet to see the screenplay that will truly challenge her acting skills. And you should not blame her, because poor dialogues are the signatures of Nollywood movies.

There are good screenwriters in Nigeria, but the majority of the Nollywood producers prefer mediocre writers they can pay chicken feed.

Only few Nollywood producers know that acting for the stage is different from acting for film. That is why we see a lot of stage dramatics in Nollywood movies, because majority of them studied and trained for the stage and not for film. And the tragedy of it all is that the best Nollywood actors and actresses are now retiring unfulfilled, because the Nollywood producers have failed to bring out the best in them in the 20 years of Nollywood.

Many people in Nollywood don't even know that the history of motion pictures in Nigeria is decades older than Nollywood. And they don't want to learn from the history of the Nigerian film industry.

This year is the 40 years of the making of the film adaption of Chinua Achebe's all time classic novel Things Fall Apart directed by German filmmaker Hansjuergen Jason Pohland in 1972 for Francis Oladele's Calpenny-Nigeria Films Ltd. But unfortunately the director does not even have a copy of this important film that would be of immense benefit to both students and scholars of African cinema and African Literature.

The energies Nollywood actors and actresses waste in their shouting matches would be better spent in sober reflections on how best to improve the quality of Nollywood movies to compare with the international award winning movies of South Africa, Egypt, Senegal, Congo, Cameroon, Algeria, Tunisa and the rest of the world where quality makes more sense than the noise of the empty barrels in Nollywood.

3 Likes

Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Caseless: 9:23pm On Nov 20, 2012
I don't watch home videos anymore....

Sometimes i ask myself this question; where are the likes of OJ PRODUCTIONs? Gone are days when we watched epic movies with passion. We are into contemporary things and the story is something else. Shoddy things in nollywood....
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by VillageBoi(m): 10:07pm On Nov 20, 2012
Really interesting interview. I wish it were longer.
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Youngzedd(m): 8:17am On Nov 21, 2012
caseless: I don't watch home videos anymore....

Sometimes i ask myself this question; where are the likes of OJ PRODUCTIONs? Gone are days when we watched epic movies with passion. We are into contemporary things and the story is something else. Shoddy things in nollywood....

Me too.

I don't really know what act this days.
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Nobody: 8:21am On Nov 21, 2012
there was one director,the one that produced Mama Gee and One Dollar,i think his name was issac moses or so,he was hilarious,i wonder where he is now-
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by RonneyMister: 8:24am On Nov 21, 2012
True observation poster,Nollywood movies are in complete chambles.....I prefere watchin their comedies dan their serious drama cuz their in d comedies it is certain dat u must c Mr Ibu puttin up with sum off his crazy n hilarious antics,even though d storyline n film quality is a mess......And yes,watever happened 2 d gud old days of gud epic movies like IGODO,IBUKA,IJELE etc...I weep 4 nollywood!!!

3 Likes

Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Afam4eva(m): 8:25am On Nov 21, 2012
I used to prefer the epic movies but even now the epic movies are no better than the "Blackberry Babes" kind of movies.
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Caseless: 8:28am On Nov 21, 2012
Youngzedd:

Me too.

I don't really know what act this days.
nothing is good about them theses days and that's why u discovered that ghanians have hijacked nollywood by their indecent movies and by also recycling our old movies and stories....sad one...
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Leopantro: 8:33am On Nov 21, 2012
i don't watch Nigerian movies but even i remember OJ productions back in those days when watching a movie made in Nigeria was interesting,educational and fun. but now i can't stand the rubbish i see as Nollywood

1 Like

Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Caseless: 8:38am On Nov 21, 2012
ehie: there was one director,the one that produced Mama Gee and One Dollar,i think his name was issac moses or so,he was hilarious,i wonder where he is now-
what about movies like izaga, amadioha, igodo, vulga,oracle, last burial, etc....where are their directors and producers? The whole is thing left for the 'rush and make' directors and producers...smh

1 Like

Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by drnoel: 8:38am On Nov 21, 2012
One of d more reasons why I don't watch those trash...
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Caseless: 8:42am On Nov 21, 2012
Leopantro: i don't watch Nigerian movies but even i remember OJ productions back in those days when watching a movie made in Nigeria was interesting,educational and fun. but now i can't stand the rubbish i see as Nollywood
my broda, OJ PRODUCTIONS...u can say that again.....i watched several movies frm them in the past and u dnt find them disconnecting from nigerian scene and the true story....
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by fittty(m): 8:43am On Nov 21, 2012
Do they even act?
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Freiburger(m): 8:43am On Nov 21, 2012
African are known for for screaming and shouting, so it shouldn't be something new.
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by omicron(m): 8:44am On Nov 21, 2012
Haven't you noticed that the shoutings and screamings are the only "action" part of nigerian films....the part that usually gets kids stuck to the screen. Apart from most of the comedy and some 'village' films made by nollywood, I got no business with them. Those screaming scenes highly irritates me.
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 21, 2012
Instead of Goodluck to use that $200million he gave them to send so many of them to film schools in America to study filming making some acting some visual effect school. He went and throw money @ hungry lions. Now the money is history. All nollywood actors thought they can come and destroy the music industry with their fake act. But all of them fell like a pack of cards. Some were able to save money for dis rainy day some were busy chasing girls. Now they are idle.

1 Like

Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by paranorman(m): 8:48am On Nov 21, 2012
Nigerian movies? Al we hv here is the quantity of films,we lack quality! I always knw ow a nigerian movie will end from the beginning! Consider me sherlock holme! *winks*
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by omicron(m): 8:49am On Nov 21, 2012
Freiburger: African are known for for screaming and shouting, so it shouldn't be something new.
How could you just say that like that? Every race and people scream and shout when need be. Why they are prevalent in Nollywood is cos of like of ideas to make the film intriguing not to talk of suspenseful. So they rather resort to screaming in a rediculous attempt to create "action".
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Caseless: 8:50am On Nov 21, 2012
afam4eva: I used to prefer the epic movies but even now the epic movies are no better than the "Blackberry Babes" kind of movies.
in the so called epic movie of these days, u'd hear things like 'WORREVER', 'LIKE SERIOUSLY, ARE U OK?', and u can even see priests(those consulting the oracle/gods) using blackberry fone. So much rawbish in the industry....
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Freiburger(m): 8:53am On Nov 21, 2012
omicron: So they rather resort to screaming in a rediculous attempt to create "action".
We 're still on same track. that screaming and shouting, is our thing, and that's what the viewers wanna see.
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Caseless: 8:54am On Nov 21, 2012
uihebom: Instead of Goodluck to use that $200million he gave them to send so many of them to film schools in America to study filming making some acting some visual effect school. He went and throw money @ hungry lions. Now the money is history. All nollywood actors thought they can come and destroy the music industry with their fake act. But all of them fell like a pack of cards. Some were able to save money for dis rainy day some were busy chasing girls. Now they are idle.
who collected/gave the money? At what point was it given? What bank was it paid into? Na scam! Nothing dey dere...
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Ejine(m): 8:55am On Nov 21, 2012
Growing up, I remember seeing promising studios like "Grand Touch Pictures" (notable for 'Danger Zone', 'Raging Storm', 'Silent Night', 'Blind Trust', 'Sakobi', 'Scores To Settle', 'Witches', 'The Contractors', 'Nightmare', 'Flashback', 'Deadly Proposal'), "Infinity Merchants" (notable for 'Igodo', 'Lost Kingdom', 'Evil Men'), "Nek Films" (notable for 'Living In Bondage', 'Glamour Girls', 'Circle of Doom', 'Died Wretched', 'Fugitive'), "Andy Best" (notable for 'Love Without Language', 'Backstab', 'Amadas') and many others.

Where did they all go? sad

7 Likes

Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by paris10: 8:55am On Nov 21, 2012
Unnecessary screaming and shouting is a way of reaching out to our grandparents. Older folks are hard of hearing and does need a lil bit of screaming in the ears before grasping your b.u.l.lshhit.

Medically, screaming is good for the health. Doesn't surprise me when the likes of Genevvieve, Mercy Johnson and her sisters( Yoruba actresses) scream the hell out the producers and camera men. We need more screaming so as to get our kids scared the more.

What a load of rubbish!!! Nigerians generally are loud and this is in our DNA. Take a look at the woman or man on the phone right now, you'd probably hear everything they're saying. What about on the bus, or in the cab? Take a look at our mothers, whenever they are on the phone, they scream and shout the hell out of the phone. It is biological and in the gene.

Sent from my new Nokia Lumia 920

3 Likes

Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Freiburger(m): 8:58am On Nov 21, 2012
paris10:

Medically, screaming is good for the health.
shocked shocked shocked so what does laughing and smiling do to the health?
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Ejine(m): 9:00am On Nov 21, 2012
uihebom: Instead of Goodluck to use that $200million he gave them to send so many of them to film schools in America to study filming making some acting some visual effect school. He went and throw money @ hungry lions. Now the money is history. All nollywood actors thought they can come and destroy the music industry with their fake act. But all of them fell like a pack of cards. Some were able to save money for dis rainy day some were busy chasing girls. Now they are idle.

Bros, that thing na scam jor. No money was paid. I remember Clarion Chukwura talking about it on January and on how Goodluck failed to live up to his promise.
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Nobody: 9:07am On Nov 21, 2012
i'd rather watched a graphic black & white image of SCRAMBLED CHANNEL for an hour than to watch clueless nollywood movies.
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by paris10: 9:08am On Nov 21, 2012
Freiburger:
shocked shocked shocked so what does laughing and smiling do to the health?

When you scream, you get the frustration out of the way, and back you go to being normal again.
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Nobody: 9:14am On Nov 21, 2012
I pray i can make a difference
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Nobody: 9:15am On Nov 21, 2012
I remember IGODO, ISSAKABA, MORTAL INHERITANCE, MY LOVE, AFTER SCHOOL HOUR, WITCHES, THE GODS ARE DEAD, FORMIDABLE FORCE, WAR FRONT, SCOUT. Oh i miss those dayz when Nollywood has not lost her sense to the producers of FACEBK BABES, BLACKBERRY BABES, DANIELLA, LESBIANS, HOT GIRL IN THE HOOD, kitten WAR, Yea, most of their movies are Thrash and the few good ones amateurish. But i see a change soon as some reasonable producers had made d likes of IJE, HOODRUSH, THE FIGURINE, INALE, ADESUWA, MAMMI, LAST FLIGHT TO ABUJA, RETURN OF JENIFA, DOCTOR BELLO...i see Nollywood glory restoring and In no short time, others will follow this new path

2 Likes

Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by Nobody: 9:24am On Nov 21, 2012
D worst part is, ppl(especially ladies) tend to copy dese acts sometimes unknowingly,
And u c dem yelling and acting at very little issues.

Send from my Samsung Galaxy III
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by naptu2: 9:37am On Nov 21, 2012
Freiburger: African are known for for screaming and shouting, so it shouldn't be something new.

I agree
Re: Unnecessary Screaming And Shouting In Nollywood Movies by kevyngbash(m): 10:10am On Nov 21, 2012
I noticed it too. They always shout and are aggressive.even when they are standing close to themselves.

(1) (2) (Reply)

'3 IDIOTS' Ranchodas Shamaldas Chanchad......fan Page! / Download: Game Of Thrones Season 8 Episode 1 / How Do I Register My Film Production Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.