Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,141 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:36 PM

Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits (9588 Views)

Job Vacancy At Murtala Muhammed Airport Terminal Two (MMA2) / Massive Recruitment At Action Against Hunger (ACF)-49 Positions / Ex-Hallmark Bank Employee Suspends Hunger Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by Nobody: 8:48am On Nov 21, 2012

The tent and Odunayo(credits: Temitayo Famutimi)

Olubiyi Odunaro, a 53-year-old former employee of Hallmark Bank Plc., has embarked on hunger strike to protest against non-payment of his terminal benefit.

Besides, the ex-banker has turned a garden on Mobolaji Bank-Anthony Way into his new home, vowing to remain there until he is paid his benefits.

Hallmark Bank was one of the banks which did not meet the Central Bank of Nigeria’s recapilatisation policy in 2005 resulting in its folding up.

Odunaro, a senior manager of the defunct bank, said he began the hunger strike on November 12.

When our correspondent visited him on Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, opposite Opebi U Turn Road junction, on Tuesday, he was seen reading a novel ‘Long walk to freedom’ by Nelson Mandela.

He explained that he embarked on the protest to expose the insensitivity of the Federal Government to pay the terminal entitlements of over 14,000 employees of the 14 banks that failed to meet up with the recapitalisation policy.

Odunaro said he wrote President Goodluck Jonathan on October 24 informing him of his decision to embark on the hunger strike if the agencies concerned did not pay them their entitlements on or before October 31.

He said, “I feel downcast with the turn of events in our country and I drew the passion to embark on a hunger strike from my disenchantment to the deliberate denial of common citizens’ rights.

“Before, I began this hunger strike, I sought the consent of my family members and I also underwent a comprehensive medical examination. I erected that tent with N27,000 and it is now my new home.”

Asked if his health has not been deteriorating, Odunaro said, “Though I take water at 8pm everyday, It’s gradually taking a toll on me as I have started losing weight.

“My personal doctor came to examine me on Friday and he said I am not doing bad health wise. There have been pleas from friends and other loved ones to end this strike. But, I will continue with the hunger strike until the FG pays us our lawful entitlements.”

He lamented that despite the laid down procedures contained in the Guidelines and Incentives on Consolidation in the Nigerian Banking Industry, they had not been attended to.

He said, “It wasn’t our wish or our making to be out of jobs. The CBN in its own wisdom introduced the recapitalisation policy and afterwards withdrew the operating licence of Hallmark Bank where I worked and 13 other banks for failing to meet up with the recapitalisation policy deadline.

“But, seven years on, the guidelines on consolidation which make provision for our compensation in view of the development had not been followed.”

He said despite writing several letters of appeal as a group to the FG and other relevant agencies concerning the issue, they had been ignored.

He said, “On a personal note, I even took it upon myself to get President Goodluck Jonathan informed by posting series of comments about this issue on his Facebook page.

“Unfortunately, nothing has been done and many of us live a deplorable way of life with the majority unable to meet obligations to their children and other dependants.

“Thirty-eight people from just three banks that I know of have died and one of the employees of Hallmark Bank committed suicide in Aba, Abia State, as a result of his inability to eke out a living.”
Source

2 Likes

Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by Nobody: 9:18am On Nov 21, 2012
This is not funny.

The FG should seriously do something about helping these people.
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by seanet01: 9:58am On Nov 21, 2012
virtuoso01: This is not funny.

Help ke? Jonathan no get time for such things.

3 Likes

Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 21, 2012
@virtuoso01, with so many labour disputes raging in Nigeria at any one time, the general public and civil advocacy groups clearly have a onerous task keeping abreast of developments.
I wish Mr Odunaro and his colleagues well in their pursuit of recompense which has already attracted the attention of some media establishments.

Daily Post: Ex-banker goes berserk, abandons home on hunger strike, because of FG’s failure to pay terminal benefits
Daily Independent: Odunaro: Waiting to die of starvation
Punch: Ex-banker on hunger strike, sleeps on the street

Before embarking on the hunger strike, Odunaro was resident in Jos, known as the Home of peace and tourism, and capital of Plateau State. But many Nigerians woke up last Monday, November 12, to see that a strange man had pitched a white tent in one of the open spaces opposite Sheraton Hotel and Towers, Ikeja, Lagos State capital. Inquests reveal that the man was Odunaro, seeking justice, not only for himself, but also for 14, 000 others, whose benefits had been seized by Nigerian government and its agencies. Inside the tent was a mattress as well as two books to keep him occupied while the strike lasted. Through an inscription on the white tent, Odunaro called on President Goodluck Jonathan to pay the terminal benefits of the ex-staffers of the non-consolidated banks.

Incidentally, some of his colleagues who were also affected by the non-payment of their terminal benefits were also always there to give him support. Some of them were Salami Abbas, former Regional Manager, Lagos West Regional Operation; Emmanuel Echewodor, Principal Driver; Ekpo Emmanuel, Assistant Supervisor; and Ezekwu Raymond, Supervisor.

Odunaro, was Head of Special Product before the recapitalisation exercise that took him out of the banking business. He said the past seven years had been hell, as they had been calling on the Federal Government and its agencies – CBN and NDIC to pay their terminal benefits without any positive response.

Source
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by Nobody: 11:02am On Nov 21, 2012
Too bad the gov't may not act positively
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by yuzedo: 11:54am On Nov 21, 2012
Motherf(u)cking Legislooters and Presidency officials are going to pay themselves elephant bonuses this Christmas (for failure) in addition to their ridiculous monthly salaries and allowances, while Pensioners die by the day. Is it by force to "serve" in Government??!?? Triple-F(u)ck all those motherf(u)ckers mehn! Pay these niggers their gaddem entitlements you bast(a)rd leeches and crooks feasting on the commonwealth!I pay my f(u)cking taxes so it hurts like hell to see my deductions go into subsidizing the insidiously ostentatious lifestyles of these thieving politicians!
My Heckler and Koch has a mind of its own.... DON'T PISS "US" OFF! angry

6 Likes

Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by ypzilanti: 12:59pm On Nov 21, 2012
The revolution is coming nearer by the day. I pray that it will be peaceful and quiet on one election day in 2015.

1 Like

Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by dilbert100: 1:00pm On Nov 21, 2012
so sad.
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by Nobody: 1:00pm On Nov 21, 2012
The guy just wants to die for nothing!

2 Likes

Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by phecs: 1:02pm On Nov 21, 2012
If all nigerians can go on hunger strike to stp corruption and corrupt leaders it wl definately stop.

2 Likes

Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by fapcrook(m): 1:04pm On Nov 21, 2012
Too bad, what a society.
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by BeraBera(f): 1:05pm On Nov 21, 2012
THE KIND OF COPY-COPY JOURNALISM WE HAVE NOWADAYS IS BECOMING WORRISOME. NOW WHO COPIED WHO?

DAILY POST
Ex-banker goes berserk, abandons home on hunger strike, because of FG’s failure to pay terminal benefits
Posted about 4 hours ago | 1 comment

For Mr. Olubiyi Odunaro, former employee of the defunct Hallmark Bank Plc, life indeed has not been a bed of roses.

In a bid to make Federal Government pay his terminal benefit, the 53-year old man who claimed to have been on hunger strike since November 12, has also turned part of the garden on Mobolaji Bank-Anthony Way, Lagos into his new home. The ex-banker vowed to remain unmoved until he gets his dues.

It could be recalled in 2005 when Central Bank of Nigeria adopted a recapitalization policy for all Banks, unfortunately Hallmark was one of the banks which did not meet with the order, thus, it folded up and rendered all its employees jobless.

When Newsmen visited Odunaro in his self made home in the garden, he was caught reading a novel written by Nelson Mandela with the title ‘Long walk to freedom’.

Speaking further on the major reasons he chose to suffer himself in such manner, a dark aged man explained that he embarked on the protest to fight for his rights and that of his affected colleagues of about 14,000 people from the 14 banks that failed to meet up with the recapitalization policy. He also intend to expose the insensitivity of the Federal Government to pay the terminal entitlements.

Recalling the steps he took before the self imposed hunger strike, Odunaro said he wrote to President Goodluck Jonathan on October 24 informing him of his decision to go without food if the agencies concerned did not pay them their entitlements on or before October 31.

According to him, “I feel downcast with the turn of events in our country and I drew the passion to embark on a hunger strike from my disenchantment to the deliberate denial of common citizens’ rights.
“Before, I began this hunger strike, I sought the consent of my family members and I also underwent a comprehensive medical examination. I erected that tent with N27,000 and it is now my new home.”

Lamenting on the deteriorating condition of his health,  Odunaro said, “Though I take water at 8pm every day, It’s gradually taking a toll on me as I have started losing weight.

“But My personal doctor came to examine me on Friday and he said I am not doing bad health wise. There have been pleas from friends and other loved ones to end this strike, but I will continue with the hunger strike until the FG pays us our lawful entitlements.”

He also grieved over Federal Government’s non adherence to the  laid down procedures contained in the Guidelines and Incentives on Consolidation in the Nigerian Banking Industry

“It wasn’t our wish or our making to be out of jobs. The CBN in its own wisdom introduced the recapitalization policy and afterwards withdrew the operating license of Hallmark Bank where I worked and 13 other banks for failing to meet up with the recapitalization policy deadline.

“But, seven years on, the guidelines on consolidation which make provision for our compensation in view of the development had not been followed.

On a personal note, I even took it upon myself to get President Goodluck Jonathan informed by posting series of comments about this issue on his Facebook page.

Unfortunately, nothing has been done and many of us live a deplorable way of life with the majority unable to meet obligations to their children and other dependants.

Thirty-eight people from just three banks that I know of have died and one of the employees of Hallmark Bank committed suicide in Aba, Abia State, as a result of his inability to eke out a living”, he said painfully.
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by funshybam(m): 1:05pm On Nov 21, 2012
sad sad sad[/b][b][b][/b][b][/b]Though I take water at 8pm everyday, It’s gradually taking a toll on me as I have started losing weight.

“My personal doctor came to examine me on Friday and he said I am not doing bad health wise[b]Though I take water at 8pm everyday, It’s gradually taking a toll on me as I have started losing weight.

“My personal doctor came to examine me on Friday and he said I am not doing bad health wise[/b]Though I take water at 8pm everyday, It’s gradually taking a toll on me as I have started losing weight.

“My personal doctor came to examine me on Friday and he said I am not doing bad health wise

from the above, i can see YOU NO WAN DIE, pls, Nigeria is ot where you do a hunger strike, except you was kill your self, pls, manage yourself..............
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by mascot87(m): 1:07pm On Nov 21, 2012
Abeg GEJ no dey,u go fit survive before he come?

Sent from my sony xperia st27i
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by crusufixo(m): 1:08pm On Nov 21, 2012
Hmmm !!!, I wish you all the best on your hunger strike bro !!!. But know this, we are in a country called Nigeria where almost everything is taken for granted and nobody cares. My advice to you is to move on. The hunger strike ish has never worked in nigeria, oh !!! dats true, dat of onyeka onwenu worked, but then that was a long time ago. Well all the best with your hunger strike !!!

1 Like

Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by Nobody: 1:09pm On Nov 21, 2012
In as much as I feel for him and understand his plight, this dude is seriously gambling with his health.

There are better ways to go about this.

BTW, what's with the "Sent from my Blah Blah" I'm seeing these days. TF? undecided
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by Nobody: 1:09pm On Nov 21, 2012
I bet you say as night reach, this man dey stroll go one Mamaput to tidy Ewedu and Amala with 4 extra Shaki and Kpormor lipsrsealed

8 Likes

Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by rusher14: 1:14pm On Nov 21, 2012
phecs: If all nigerians can go on hunger strike to stp corruption and corrupt leaders it wl definately stop.
Please don't make me laugh. grin

1 Like

Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by BeraBera(f): 1:15pm On Nov 21, 2012
yuzedo: Motherf(u)cking Legislooters and Presidency officials are going to pay themselves elephant bonuses this Christmas (for failure) in addition to their ridiculous monthly salaries and allowances, while Pensioners die by the day. Is it by force to "serve" in Government??!?? Triple-F(u)ck all those motherf(u)ckers mehn! Pay these niggers their gaddem entitlements you bast(a)rd leeches and crooks feasting on the commonwealth!I pay my f(u)cking taxes so it hurts like hell to see my deductions go into subsidizing the insidiously ostentatious lifestyles of these thieving politicians!
My Heckler and Koch has a mind of its own.... DON'T PISS "US" OFF! angry
Please take it easy, you are not quarreling with anybody, okay.
I believe the relevant authorities must have seen or heard about this man's hunger strike. Jonathan is somebody that has a listening ear and a human heart. Let us see if something would not be done about this
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by mkoabiola: 1:18pm On Nov 21, 2012
Sorry sorry sorry ooo.I sorry for ds banker ,I sorry ooo.femi kuti.
U go hungry, u go suffer ,u go quench .if u die,u go die nothing ,dem go carry your body go cementary ,u die 4 hunger. govt doesn't av time for ds innocent man,when dey ar busy struggling for meal &refreshment budget.a man is killing hmsef with hunger.
If u die nja wil remain,tins wil go as normal.I pity u.
Gej don travel to pakistan with hs team,u de dere de die 4 hunger.lol
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by Nobody: 1:18pm On Nov 21, 2012
This is really serious.
same thing is going to happen to PHCN staff if they dont get their money now.
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by mkoabiola: 1:19pm On Nov 21, 2012
PortHarcourtBoy: I bet you say as night reach, this man dey stroll go one Mamaput to tidy Ewedu and Amala with 4 extra Shaki and Kpormor lipsrsealed
Lol
Who knws ?
God knws beta.
Lol.laf don tear my trouser.
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by ypzilanti: 1:21pm On Nov 21, 2012
PortHarcourtBoy: I bet you say as night reach, this man dey stroll go one Mamaput to tidy Ewedu and Amala with 4 extra Shaki and Kpormor lipsrsealed

Hahahahhahaha

But the guy should know that hunger strike does not work in a country where the government allows hunger to kill its citizens on daily basis.

Its only bombing and militancy that scares the government into action.
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by Opoki(m): 1:22pm On Nov 21, 2012
I pity this man... But why can't he just forget about tht money and do as if its of no use and forge ahead!
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by slimming: 1:26pm On Nov 21, 2012
Life is full of deceptions sometimes, is better you focus your future some better place than in one or two benefits that will not be pay.
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by ifyalways(f): 1:28pm On Nov 21, 2012
Seeing he's gone past the "advice" stage, he has my "blessings"

We must live and die for something. . .
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by yuzedo: 1:30pm On Nov 21, 2012
BeraBera: Please take it easy, you are not quarreling with anybody, okay.
I believe the relevant authorities must have seen or heard about this man's hunger strike. Jonathan is somebody that has a listening ear and a human heart. Let us see if something would not be done about this
Ok baby... So wuz yo numba?? grin wink
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by donotbanme1: 1:34pm On Nov 21, 2012
virtuoso01: This is not funny.

Working for a bank is like working for the devil. He pays you while the job lasts after which you are seriously on your own.

That is why people should be innovative and think outside the box. What is your plan B if A fails today?
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by markus1133: 1:34pm On Nov 21, 2012
good guy ..
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by 1ndidi2(f): 1:34pm On Nov 21, 2012
mascot87: Abeg GEJ no dey,u go fit survive before he come?

Sent from my sony xperia st27i

Is this the new trend?cheesy
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by Kingslaw(m): 1:35pm On Nov 21, 2012
Even they go later pay,them go carry small small money de give them. Wicked politicians/leaders!
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by lincoln123: 1:36pm On Nov 21, 2012
This is really serious, My elder brother also worked with Hallmark Bank, I don't know what its will take GEJ to endorsed their request if He can budget'd for himself feeding allowance of 1BN...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

KHS Machines Nigeria Ltd / Apply For Nokia Nigeria Job Recruitment (4 Positions) / How Do I Know If My NIN Has Been Validated?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.