Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,741 members, 7,820,549 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits (9592 Views)

Job Vacancy At Murtala Muhammed Airport Terminal Two (MMA2) / Massive Recruitment At Action Against Hunger (ACF)-49 Positions / Ex-Hallmark Bank Employee Suspends Hunger Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by OkwaIfugo(m): 6:54pm On Nov 21, 2012
india spriti at work.
one woman in india is on her 12yr hunger strike.

i love this guys.
but must everything be blamed on GEJ peeps?
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by gulfer: 7:18pm On Nov 21, 2012
I hope say police dey the area to help him if the 'lords of the night'come to collect whatever is on him. Wonder if the right authority will take notice of this and address the issue of non-payment of pensions and gratuity, this is not peculiar to banks alone but pervaids from railway, police etc.
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by otokx(m): 7:20pm On Nov 21, 2012
So federal government should pay the entitlements of a banker who worked in a private company that folded up due to corruption? Wonderful set of reasoning ability on display.
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by aAK1(m): 7:36pm On Nov 21, 2012
Opoki: I pity this man... But why can't he just forget about tht money and do as if its of no use and forge ahead!
the same time we do wit every thing,encouraging our leaders to keep on stealing and looting.do u tink this is about the money?
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by Woke4all(m): 8:17pm On Nov 21, 2012
PortHarcourtBoy: I bet you say as night reach, this man dey stroll go one Mamaput to tidy Ewedu and Amala with 4 extra Shaki and Kpormor lipsrsealed

grin grin grin. True talk
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by Ticklishmummy(f): 1:23am On Nov 22, 2012
Jonathan Please scroll below

I can bet you have got a special adviser on Nairaland matters,your glorified spy who will make it a point of duty to tell you every damN piece of stinky issh written about you.I hope you or your amebo is reading this and if you are this is for you ''QUIT BEING A FIGURE HEAD,THE PEOPLE WHO VOTED FOR YOU DESERVE ACTION NOT EMPTY PROMISES''
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by buchibabe: 7:29am On Nov 22, 2012
In as much as dis guy is fighting for his right,I doubt ifanything meaninful will come out of dis his adventure.
Atleast he's still a young man with no disabilities ,so let him try and look into some oda little businesses dat can atleast put food on his table while he still protests his unpaid allowance but in a different and more careful way.
I fear for his health and life ,sleeping in public.....
By d way ,methinks dis his act could beembarassing to his family.

And may God touch dose responsible for d payment too,cos I wonder if he wil do anytin abt dis. Na onli dia belle dem sabi
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by Awarin(m): 9:40am On Nov 22, 2012
Wonders Shall never end, i will just advice d guy 2 go chop, or elas... d country is so bad beyond repair...
Re: Ex-banker On Hunger Strike Over Terminal Benefits by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 26, 2012
Postscript: Hunger strike has been suspended in order to allow the intervention of the Lagos State Government.

Ex-banker on two weeks hunger strike goes home

The banker went on a hunger strike to protest the nonpayment of his terminal benefit

A former employee of the now defunct Hallmark Bank Plc, Olubiyi Odunaro, who had embarked on a hunger strike to protest the nonpayment of his terminal benefits has called it off “temporarily.”

Mr. Odunaro, who took the decision on Monday, the day he clocked 53, said it was to listen to the Lagos State Government’s plea to mediate on his and other’s behalf.

“The members have agreed to give the government agencies the benefit of doubt, for that reason I will suspend it,” said Mr. Odunaro.”I will listen to them since the fight is not about me.”

He was, however, taken by officials of the Lagos State Ambulance Services to the Lagos State Teaching Hospital for a “comprehensive” medical checkup.
grin grin grin

A hunger strike
Mr. Odunaro began his hunger strike on November 12 on behalf of the more than 14 thousand employees of the 14 banks who failed to meet the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN’s recapitalization policy in 2005.

The former bank employees say they have not received their severance benefits from either the CBN or the Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation, NDIC, since they lost their jobs.

All efforts to get the attention of both government agencies have not been successful, according to the bankers.

“In a meeting that ended so amicably, we were told to write to the presidency; but up till now, nothing,” said Magnus Maduka, President, Ex-staff of Non-Consolidated Banks.

“A lawyer in NDIC told us to our face that we will not get any money that this is Nigeria,” Mr. Maduka said.

Mr. Maduka said that some of them had put in 25 years of their lives to their jobs before they were asked to leave.

“We wanted to go to court but we don’t have the funds, that has been the greatest challenge we have,” said Okey Igwe, Chairman of the Publicity Committee,
Lagos to the ‘rescue’

A lawyer with the Public Complaints Commission, John Ogunniyi, had earlier pleaded with Mr. Odunaro to go home while the agency looks into their complaints.

He said the agency was an independent organization set up by the federal government to investigate administrative injustices emanating from the action of the government.

“We’ve listened to the complaints and we are going back to report to the honourable commissioner and see the best we can do concerning it.

“Because of your health and the importance of what you are doing, we implore you to go home. I assure you, the honourable commissioner has given us the authority to ensure that the matter is resolved,” he said.

Mr. Odunaro, who had become physically frail with lack of food, however, refused.

But the appeal of the Lagos State Government was welcome.

The Senior Special Assistant to the state governor on Judiciary, Lanre Akinsola, who was accompanied by medical personnel and lawyers, stated that the Lagos State government would take up the former bankers’ fight.
“Immediately the governor read about Mr. Odunaro’s plight, we were mandated to set up an inter ministerial body to take care of the matter,” Mr. Akinsola said. “Our first concern now is to provide medical services to him, somebody who has been on hunger strike for the past 15 days, we believe that there is an urgent need of medical help.”

The Lagos State Government also offered to provide free legal services “if it gets to litigation.”“We are going to work with their lawyer and we are going to work as a team to ensure that justice is done and they get whatever is their entitlement from the appropriate authority.

“Give us time to dialogue with all the necessary people,” Mr. Akinsola said.

While expressing their appreciation to the Lagos State Government, Mr. Maduka stated that they would co-operate with the state.

“We have persuaded him (Mr. Odunaro) to press a pause on his hunger strike button now because we believe in the Lagos State Government,” Mr. Maduka said.

“We have been snubbed, we have been treated like lepers by the CBN and NDIC. We want to leverage on the Lagos State government’s clout to get results,” Mr. Maduka continued.

“In two weeks, if nothing is done, all the members will come and join the hunger strike.”
Source

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Apply For Delta State Civil Service Commission Recruitment 2014 Without Mistakes / Have You Been Able To Successfully Register For Lagos Teacher's Recruitment? / Npower: 6 Reasons Why You Were Not Paid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.