Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go (6039 Views)

HID Awolowo Was Buried Beside Her Husband, Chief Obafemi Awolowo In Ikene (Pics) / Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 / Tola Oyediran, Obafemi Awolowo's Eldest Daughter Revealed (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Afam4eva(m): 10:44am On Nov 21, 2012
Before i joined Nairaland, i was a pan-Nigerian and i didn't know what it meant to take sides on the basis of ethnicity. People like Murtala Muhammed and Obafemi Awolowo appealed to me because of what i heard about them from the mainstream media. Back in primary school we even had a song for Murtala Muhammed. At that point i even thought he was the Prophet Mohammed that Muslims talked about. I also respected Awolowo because i was told that he provided free education in the western region and did a lot of good things back then. Now fast-forward to when i became a member of Nairaland and being introduced to the other side of the truth about these people. I was introduced to the truth that the mainstream media seem not to highlight. But i still think Awolowo was above his pairs at that time. He did a lot of the western region and he created the firsts in so many things.

There's nothing wrong in appreciating what Awolowo did back then but the question now is: Are those things still valid till date? Most of Awolowo's achievements were evident in Ibadan which was the capital of the western region but when you see that city today, you begin to wonder if it's something to be proud of. It seems that town has been dwarfed by other towns that were nonentities back then because the tide has changed.

Yorubas may have at one point being the most educated Nigerians in terms of volume but is it still so today considering the fact that every part of Nigeria especially southern Nigeria have become educationally compliant with Imo, Delta and Anambra being the state with the most people going to school. Even if Yorubas still have more educated people, it's not in astronomical dimensions.

Now i ask, why the fixation on the name Obafemi Awolowo? I think he has done his own part at his own time but it's embarrassing and disgraceful that today politicians from the south-west are using that name to play on the emotions of their people. They're not following in the footsteps of that man yet they shout Awo wherever they go. It's unfortunate that what this man did decades ago is still being used to score Yorubaland. I think it's downright shameful. I think SWesterners should not sit down and watch their rulers decieve them claiming to be following in the footsteps of Awolowo when in deeds it's the opposite.

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by nduchucks: 11:09am On Nov 21, 2012
^^^ +100

The current crop of Yoruba leaders are mediocre and should not be compared to Awo.

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Akshow: 11:38am On Nov 21, 2012
i think i think i think you should not take panadol over someone else's headache. Face your own problem and leave the yorubas wit theirs. Aren't the hausas reverrin sardauna till date? Are your people still not hero worshipin ojukwu even After leadin you into a senseless war? Remove the dirt in your own eye before attemptin to help others. Leave the yorubas to sing the praise of who ever They like e no concern you.

10 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Akanbiedu(m): 11:55am On Nov 21, 2012
Akshow: i think i think i think you should not take panadol over someone else's headache. Face your own problem and leave the yorubas wit theirs. Aren't the hausas reverrin sardauna till date? Are your people still not hero worshipin ojukwu even After leadin you into a senseless war? Remove the dirt in your own eye before attemptin to help others. Leave the yorubas to sing the praise of who ever They like e no concern you.

The impression I get of the Op is he has lived major part of his life in SW Nigeria(I may be wrong), he may be rightly regarded as a Swester, so his concerns are valid.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by seanet01: 12:20pm On Nov 21, 2012
ndu_chucks: ^^^ +100

The current crop of Yoruba leaders are mediocre and should not be compared to Awo.
No wonder your region is the most backward, retarded and deluded region. With this kind of reasoning. North will continue a parasite as it have always always been.

3 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by seanet01: 12:22pm On Nov 21, 2012
Akanbi_edu:

The impression I get of the Op is he has lived major part of his life in SW Nigeria(I may be wrong), he may be rightly regarded as a Swester, so his concerns are valid.

he is the original number one hypocrite here. He has lost touch with reality. His region i don't even think get half of his attention on south west.

2 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by slimming: 12:29pm On Nov 21, 2012
ok
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by IleIfe2(m): 12:31pm On Nov 21, 2012
Most of Awolowo's achievements were evident in Ibadan which was the capital of the western region but when you see that city today, you begin to wonder if it's something to be proud of.

Ibadan is like any other city where the old school meets the extremely modern. Though the government and the people need to be encouraged to do more.

Now i ask, why the fixation on the name Obafemi Awolowo?

'Until you break Usain Bolts record, you have nothing on him'. i wonder how many first there would be if that man ruled longer than he did and i don't think there are lots of buildings around that makes people proud and gives them a sense of ownership like the things Awolowo did in the western region. 'Awolowo is remembered for building Liberty Stadium in Ibadan, the first of its kind in Africa; WNTV, the first television station in Africa, the first skyscraper in tropical Africa: The Cocoa House (Still the tallest in Ibadan) and running a widely-respected civil service in the Western Region. He is also credited with coining the name “naira” for Nigeria’s currency (formerly known as the Nigerian Pound)'.

Awolowo's name will always stimulate passion and excitement for those who know how to use it. BTW ask the Americans, why the Fixation on Lincoln or Washington?

ERrr.......So, Afam...... Thank you very much for your concern.

Oya, Balogun!.....Balogun!!!

Send this man back to Onitsha

8 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Afam4eva(m): 12:37pm On Nov 21, 2012
Akshow: i think i think i think you should not take panadol over someone else's headache. Face your own problem and leave the yorubas wit theirs. Aren't the hausas reverrin sardauna till date? Are your people still not hero worshipin ojukwu even After leadin you into a senseless war? Remove the dirt in your own eye before attemptin to help others. Leave the yorubas to sing the praise of who ever They like e no concern you.
I live in the SW and i'm a Nigerian and so whatever falls into these jurisdictions concerns me.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Valon4ego(m): 12:51pm On Nov 21, 2012
*grabs my popcorn and zobo* watching as this thread turns to another heated debate
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by achi4u(m): 12:57pm On Nov 21, 2012
Its not only yorubas,the footprint of M.I Okpala and Akanu Ibiam are still a living testimony to the East__ same goes to the North but SWesterners are in a habit of always singing the name of their 'SAGE' to everyones ear.

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Afam4eva(m): 12:58pm On Nov 21, 2012
achi4u: Its not only yorubas,the footprint of M.I Okpala and Akanu Ibiam are still a living testimony to the East__ same goes to the North but SWesterners are in a habit of always singing the name of their 'SAGE' to everyones ear.
The point i'm trying to make is that whenever they want to tlk about development in the SW, they always call Awolowo even though most of the things they associate him with are no longer relevant in today's Nigeria.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Twy: 1:00pm On Nov 21, 2012
afam4eva: Before i joined Nairaland, i was a pan-Nigerian and i didn't know what it meant to take sides on the basis of ethnicity. People like Murtala Muhammed and Obafemi Awolowo appealed to me because of what i heard about them from the mainstream media. Back in primary school we even had a song for Murtala Muhammed. At that point i even thought he was the Prophet Mohammed that Muslims talked about. I also respected Awolowo because i was told that he provided free education in the western region and did a lot of good things back then. Now fast-forward to when i became a member of Nairaland and being introduced to the other side of the truth about these people. I was introduced to the truth that the mainstream media seem not to highlight. But i still think Awolowo was above his pairs at that time. He did a lot of the western region and he created the firsts in so many things.

There's nothing wrong in appreciating what Awolowo did back then but the question now is: Are those things still valid till date? Most of Awolowo's achievements were evident in Ibadan which was the capital of the western region but when you see that city today, you begin to wonder if it's something to be proud of. It seems that town has been dwarfed by other towns that were nonentities back then because the tide has changed.

Yorubas may have at one point being the most educated Nigerians in terms of volume but is it still so today considering the fact that every part of Nigeria especially southern Nigeria have become educationally compliant with Imo, Delta and Anambra being the state with the most people going to school. Even if Yorubas still have more educated people, it's not in astronomical dimensions.

Now i ask, why the fixation on the name Obafemi Awolowo? I think he has done his own part at his own time but it's embarrassing and disgraceful that today politicians from the south-west are using that name to play on the emotions of their people. They're not following in the footsteps of that man yet they shout Awo wherever they go. It's unfortunate that what this man did decades ago is still being used to score Yorubaland. I think it's downright shameful. I think SWesterners should not sit down and watch their rulers decieve them claiming to be following in the footsteps of Awolowo when in deeds it's the opposite.

Your statement rather dealt into different issues which am sure you may not be aware. But on the general sentiment, I will say, it is a perception of political regression from the independence politicians to the present crop. There may be an effort to instill an ideology or a guided political path be it honest or dishonest, that varies from politicians to politicians. The underlying issue is that the political ideals of that era has still not been eradicated or wished away, and the key proponents of its eradication, the PDP are considered charlatans.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by PaulJohn1: 1:06pm On Nov 21, 2012
When you stop putting blames of your misfortune on him,
And stop been fidgety at the mention of his name.

Creating a thread just for been obsessed with his people idolizing him is pathetic.

6 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Akshow: 1:14pm On Nov 21, 2012
afam4eva:
The point i'm trying to make is that whenever they want to tlk about development in the SW, they always call Awolowo even though most of the things they associate him with are no longer relevant in today's Nigeria.
is not relevant today you say. Pray tell me, is the civil war of decades ago that your people keep whining of at every slightest opportunity still relevant in today Nigeria. There is no development in south west yet you are deeply rooted, raking your living and your people are still troopin in mass to south west. Do others complain when you call ojukwu ike wateva? Why are you quick to find faults wit others when their only crime is accommodatin you and your lots. Guy envy kills faster than aids. Continue paying your tax and let the yorubas be. Shikenan. Rip SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE Awolowo.

7 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Afam4eva(m): 1:16pm On Nov 21, 2012
Akshow: is not relevant today you say. Pray tell me, is the civil war of decades ago that your people keep whining of at every slightest opportunity still relevant in today Nigeria. There is no development in south west yet you are deeply rooted, raking your living and your people are still troopin in mass to south west. Do others complain when you call ojukwu ike wateva? Why are you quick to find faults wit others when their only crime is accommodatin you and your lots. Guy envy kills faster than aids. Continue paying your tax and let the yorubas be. Shikenan. Rip SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE Awolowo.
Is Lagos also one of the legacies of Awolowo? Stop playing dumb.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by TonySpike: 1:24pm On Nov 21, 2012
Can Afam exactly tell us what Awolowo did that is not relevant in today's South-West Nigeria? I am very much interested to hear from you; Perhaps, I might learn one or two things from your response. Thanks
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by achi4u(m): 1:29pm On Nov 21, 2012
afam4eva:
Lagos is no man's land...let it sink into their skull.smhgrin
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by GARRIx7(m): 1:33pm On Nov 21, 2012
it's embarrassing and disgraceful that today politicians from the south-west are using that name to play on the emotions of their people. They're not following in the footsteps of that man yet they shout Awo wherever they go. It's unfortunate that what this man did decades ago is still being used to score Yorubaland. I think it's downright shameful. I think SWesterners should not sit down and watch their rulers decieve them claiming to be following in the footsteps of Awolowo when in deeds it's the opposite.

I wonder what ur aim of opening this thread is. You obviously aren't tired of this Igbo vs Yoruba war (which is how this thread will definitely end).

@Topic: Awolowo was a great man who every leader irrespective of his/her region should emulate. The current crop of leaders in the SW aren't exactly up to Awolowo's standard, but they are by far better than the last crop. The SW has made tremendous progress politically and otherwise though much still needs to be done. Awolowo has set a standard, a mark which most of the leaders of the region ought to strive to meet...

To answer your question: SWesterners will never let the name go!!!
Awolowo is a legend and will forever remain one......

4 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by GARRIx7(m): 1:34pm On Nov 21, 2012
afam4eva:
Can you pls throw some light on the bolded??
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Afam4eva(m): 1:53pm On Nov 21, 2012
Tony Spike: Can Afam exactly tell us what Awolowo did that is not relevant in today's South-West Nigeria? I am very much interested to hear from you; Perhaps, I might learn one or two things from your response. Thanks

GARRI (x7):

Can you pls throw some light on the bolded??

Awo's greatest achievement as far as popular knowledge has it is the introduction of FREE education. Other parts of Nigeria may not have had a FREE educational programmer at that time but there's a sort of parity in education in all the zones in the south. You now have more educated people in Imo, Anambra and Delta which is probably not what was obtained back in the days during the days of Awolowo. It means the SW politicians have failed in their duty to pick up from where Awo left off. The only time they remember him is when they want to sway voters.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by felifeli: 2:12pm On Nov 21, 2012
afam4eva:

As a matter of fact the boundary of Western Region was at YABA. So , yes most of Lagos was the legacy of Awolowo
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Afam4eva(m): 2:15pm On Nov 21, 2012
felifeli:

As a matter of fact the boundary of Western Region was at YABA. So , yes most of Lagos was the legacy of Awolowo
Clap for yaself...
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 21, 2012
achi4u: Lagos is no man's land...let it sink into their skull.smhgrin

Tundar fire ya mouth dia!!!! grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 21, 2012
afam4eva: Before i joined Nairaland, i was a pan-Nigerian and i didn't know what it meant to take sides on the basis of ethnicity. People like Murtala Muhammed and Obafemi Awolowo appealed to me because of what i heard about them from the mainstream media. Back in primary school we even had a song for Murtala Muhammed. At that point i even thought he was the Prophet Mohammed that Muslims talked about. I also respected Awolowo because i was told that he provided free education in the western region and did a lot of good things back then. Now fast-forward to when i became a member of Nairaland and being introduced to the other side of the truth about these people. I was introduced to the truth that the mainstream media seem not to highlight. But i still think Awolowo was above his pairs at that time. He did a lot of the western region and he created the firsts in so many things.

Lenu e! What is your business with what Yorubas do with Awo's name? Find your own hero and do whatever you want with his name.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 21, 2012
Am sure this same Afam is partly a product of free education policy of Baba Awo...such an ingrate ! tongue cheesy grin

3 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Afam4eva(m): 2:27pm On Nov 21, 2012
ilugunboy: Am sure this same Afam is partly a product of free education policy of Baba Awo...such an ingrate ! tongue cheesy grin
I'm not that old abeg.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by achi4u(m): 2:28pm On Nov 21, 2012
ilugunboy:

Tundar fire ya mouth dia!!!! grin grin grin
na wa o...na statement i drop nah?
ok who own lagos?grin
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Afam4eva(m): 2:29pm On Nov 21, 2012
achi4u: na wa o...na statement i drop nah?
ok who own lagos?grin
Pls let's not go there cos it will derail this thread.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Akshow: 2:34pm On Nov 21, 2012
afam4eva:
Mumu did you tell me you are stayin in Lagos or What brought about Lagos issue here?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Akshow: 2:42pm On Nov 21, 2012
achi4u: Lagos is no man's land...let it sink into their skull.smhgrin
yeah Its a no mans land that is why the official language of the state is yoruba. That is why yorubas rule and dominate all spheres in Lagos. Its a no man's land Thats why They have an oba and celebrate yoruba cultural heritage. My naive silly friend, i say Its a no man's land that is why yorubas control and rule every facet of Lagos. Before you go about shoutin about emeka in Alaba market, Lagos economy is more about the cooperate world not petty trading and That my silly friend, yorubas dominate. Jus continue paying your tax and stop whining

3 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: When Will They Let The Name Go by Afam4eva(m): 2:53pm On Nov 21, 2012
Akshow: yeah Its a no mans land that is why the official language of the state is yoruba. That is why yorubas rule and dominate all spheres in Lagos. Its a no man's land Thats why They have an oba and celebrate yoruba cultural heritage. My naive silly friend, i say Its a no man's land that is why yorubas control and rule every facet of Lagos. Before you go about shoutin about emeka in Alaba market, Lagos economy is more about the cooperate world not petty trading and That my silly friend, yorubas dominate. Jus continue paying your tax and stop whining
I never knew any state in Nigeria had any official language that's not English. I guess we learn everyday.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photo: Who Is "Chimaokoro63", And What Don't We Know About The Kuje Bomb Blasts? / Nigerians Have Made A Mistake By Voting Buhari / You Are Not Ashamed Of Yourself - Nigerians Blast El-rufai For Criticising Jonat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.