Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

Why Does British TV Make Fun Of Anything Nigerian ?? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Does British TV Make Fun Of Anything Nigerian ?? (690 Views)

People Make Fun Of A Young Man Spotted At A Grocery Store With His Daughter T / Aljazeera TV Make '' MAJOR '' Blunder See Photo / Nigerians Make Fun Of The Horrible Fuel Situation With #replaceamoviewithfuel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Does British TV Make Fun Of Anything Nigerian ?? by Ilekokonit: 9:49pm On Nov 21, 2012
Yes we have greedy Lootocrats as our rulers in Nigeria and Yes some of our boys are involved in activities that are unbecoming of good citizens of the world but I've noticed a pattern of scorn and ridicule (albeit insidiously) being poured on the name Nigeria and Nigerians now and again on British TV especially the BBC.

The latest was tonight around 7.10 pm British time on the BBC1 programme "The One Show" where without any need for it, the Iranian comedian Omid Djalili started mocking the Nigerian accent and finished by saying he just can't resist speaking in his fake Nigerian accent any time the opportunity presents.

This is the second time I've noticed this on British TV in the past 2 months or so from 2 different people on 2 seperate programs but on the BBC.

Its something else if Black comedians like Gina Yashere and Yewande "Andi" Osho (both Nigerians) and Lenny Henry (Jamaican) take the piss out of the Nigerian accent in their comedy routines just to get quick laughs and make money from their audiences (which I am completely against as well as it gives others licence to do the same) but when other races start making fun of the Nigerian accent or the Nigerian people and then give themselves that knowing look at the end of their prejudicial jokes then this "to me" borders on subtle racism and given that David Calvert-Smith, former Director of the British Crown Prosecution Service once described most Britons as racist with a culture of "institutionalised racism" and his belief is that prejudice is so widespread it can be found by just watching a couple of hours of television or reading a newspaper."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2061524.stm

We Nigerians (just like any other Nationality) are not saints and can do better in terms of endearing the world to us but it begins to get annoying when even fellow Africans begin to rubbish Nigerians in the UK or if you think of what thought process went behind the creation of a website titled IHATENIGERIANS.COM which is now thankfully defunct the last time I checked.

Maybe I've got thin skin but most of my professional battles in the UK have been fought mainly as a result of me not taking it kindly when I am being pre-judged because I am Nigerian.

You just can't tar everyone in a country of 170 million with the same brush !!

Rant over.
Re: Why Does British TV Make Fun Of Anything Nigerian ?? by denzel2009: 10:05pm On Nov 21, 2012
You need to overlook these things. Do you know how many times comedians mock indian accent? Even their own Liverpudian accent gets mocked several times on air.
Re: Why Does British TV Make Fun Of Anything Nigerian ?? by ebere1712: 11:21pm On Nov 21, 2012
Nobody cares about britain. They are old news.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

PHCN Privatisation: FG Receives $335m Bank Guarantees / Plateau Striking Workers Raze Plateau Commissioner, Lawmakers Houses!!! / How Naval Helicopter Crashed - Villagers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.