Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1258115 members, 1696833 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 October 2014 at 09:03 AM

Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants (6110 Views)

Chinese Herbs And Nigeria Herbs- Solution To All Stds / I Need A Book Of Yoruba Herbs And Their English Names. / Plants And Their Uses (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by emoch: 2:24pm On Nov 22, 2012
I have been researching the health benefits of various plants and herbs and most times I hit a wall because even as most of these plants are available in Nigeria, we don't know their names in our local parlance. For instance I never knew the wonderful Neem tree is our popular Dongoyaro tree. This thread is for people to contribute their ideas on various plants in our local parlance. Below are some ideas personally know
Basil plant is known as Nchanwu(hope I spelt that right)in Igbo and Effirin in Yoruba
Henna plant is the famous Lali used mostly by northernmost for body art
Hibiscus plant is what we call here as Zobo
tamarind is called tsamia here
Tumeric is ata Ile pupa in Yoruba
Cayenne is Bawa
Chilli is Shombo in Yoruba
Black pepper is iyere in Yoruba, Oziza in igbo
Thorny pigweed/prickly amaranth is tete eleegun in yoruba

Pls post yours. Note that the plant must be indigenous to Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by tpia5: 3:10am On Jul 01, 2013
you should post pictures as well.
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by tpia5: 3:12am On Jul 01, 2013
cassia

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by kaushalchandak: 9:44am On Aug 26, 2013
What is Common Amarnath known in Nigera? While researching on health benefits of Amaranth, I found that it is known by efo tete or arowo jeja. Can someone correct?
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Net4Biz: 10:46pm On Sep 06
What is the Yoruba name for "Dandellion" Root or leaves?
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by sammyjay76(m): 11:33pm On Sep 06
Net4Biz: What is the Yoruba name for "Dandellion" Root or leaves?
Dandellion is YANRIN IN YORUBA
Any one knows what dong quai is
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Luvlystar(f): 2:30pm On Sep 09
Pls what is the local name of Africa lavender
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by dontemi: 2:41pm On Sep 21
Please does anyone know the botanical/scientific name for Ijamo?
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by esperiense: 11:30pm On Sep 24
Pls what's the yoruba name for cayenne pepper

(0) (Reply)

Does Anyone Know How To Remove Stretch Marks? / I Need Weight Loss Drugs / Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.