Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,697 members, 7,809,636 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:20 PM

Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions (7478 Views)

Catholics Donot Worship Idols. / Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions / The Pagan Origin Of The Word "AMEN" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:18pm On Nov 22, 2012
i will be posting pictures of different idols representing different spiritual forces, from around the globe. any questions about the God, feel free to ask.

SHANGO:

Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:22pm On Nov 22, 2012
CHUKWU

Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:28pm On Nov 22, 2012
Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by OME1(m): 8:24pm On Nov 22, 2012
Why don't you create your own idol and post the picture here

1 Like

Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:34pm On Nov 22, 2012
O.M.E:
Why don't you create your own idol and post the picture here

yes i can. i can create my own representation of any spiritual force i want. but these are estabilished representations that existed for long times. PAgans always try to be creative when depicting their Gods and Spiritual forces. also i need to be very artistic. and obviously when we create an idol, it must correspond to and have characterisitic identifications of the God, to whom i dedicate the idol to.

for example, if i want to create an idol of Lord Shango, i will obviously add some identification, such as red and white robes , double-faced axe, etc. .

3 Likes

Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:41pm On Nov 22, 2012
Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:43pm On Nov 22, 2012
ANANTHAPADMANABHA

(Solid Gold Idol)

[img]http://kshetrapuranas.files./2009/02/golden-vishnu.jpg?w=497&h=372[/img]
Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:44pm On Nov 22, 2012
BAAL

Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:18pm On Nov 23, 2012
RADEGAST

Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:21pm On Nov 25, 2012
HUBAL

Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by Ubenedictus(m): 11:58pm On Nov 25, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
BAAL

this looks like a cartoon alien,

1 Like

Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by Nobody: 12:04am On Nov 26, 2012
Erm, have you had discussions with other pagans from other countries or cultures?

What do you guys have in common?
Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by Yujin(m): 7:55am On Dec 02, 2012
@Pagan 9ja,
Do you have any picture of the traditional idols of your people- the Maguzawas. I learnt of one Tubumbura; not sure of the spelling.
BTW, Chi-Ukwu (Chukwu) has no idol representation as you present. Sure that idol here is of Igbo origin but MUST have another lesser name. That is how it works in Igboland. I'll like to contribute my knowledge wherever necessary. Thanks
Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by Nobody: 8:26am On Dec 02, 2012
following..
Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:38am On Dec 02, 2012
Thank You all for reviving this thread. i thought it was dead. smiley
Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:53am On Dec 02, 2012
Logicboy03: Erm, have you had discussions with other pagans from other countries or cultures?

What do you guys have in common?

YEs I have had extensive discussion with Pagans from all over the world. i have even visited many of thier places of worship. THe underlying basic concept is extremely similar. mostly the Pantheon structure is also the same and so are many rituals. many a case, i have encountered more than 1 Pagan rleigion, even having the same mythos storyline ,etc. also the Chracter of the Gods. for example Lord Shango, THor, INdra, Amadioha etc., are all associated with Thunder and /or symbolically carry iron axes, etc.
there are so many similarities that it would be futile to list them all here.

infact one of my close associates has even started a facebook group on this issue, and i send him many of the info which he posts on it, considering i dont have a facebook account., to spread the awareness. The movement is fast gaining status.

Yujin: @Pagan 9ja,
Do you have any picture of the traditional idols of your people- the Maguzawas. I learnt of one Tubumbura; not sure of the spelling.
BTW, Chi-Ukwu (Chukwu) has no idol representation as you present. Sure that idol here is of Igbo origin but MUST have another lesser name. That is how it works in Igboland. I'll like to contribute my knowledge wherever necessary. Thanks

unfortunately we are not allowed to photograph these idols by the shrine keeper (because he believes it would produce a negative). however i will try to procure pictures. THe Iska worship does not necessairly require specially carved idols though it requires a focal point such as a rock from Dala hill, etc. Even Boori doesnt require specific idols.

are you sure you spelt it right i think you talk about Sumburbura.
Also Tsumburbura though worshipped at times, it is less frequent when compared to the other Gods. i think it is because of the name change. Tsumbururu was how we referred to the Supreme God in he bygone days. now we just call it Saarkin ALjannu/ Ubangeji.

ok Chukwu has no idol ? i thought so. CHukwu worship can take place through the lesser divinities. yes feel free to contribut about worship practices in Igboland.
Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:23am On Dec 02, 2012
OSIRIS

Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by Yewe2011(m): 8:28am On Dec 04, 2012
great thread!

That Shango pic looks powerful.

we must venerate our indigenous African deities and idols.

Every religion does so. When you go into an Chinese restaurant, or a Hindu shop they have their altars, statues, etc. We must have ours...that is from where you get your power from.

1 Like

Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by Okijajuju1(m): 8:40am On Dec 04, 2012
And we traded these beautiful gods of our fore-fathers for the Jewish god..

How sad..

IKENGA

Alusi of Time, Success and Achievement..

3 Likes

Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by Okijajuju1(m): 8:45am On Dec 04, 2012
ALA

[img]http://www.stlawu.edu/gallery/images/04beier1.jpg[/img]

Goddess of Creation..
Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by ijawkid(m): 9:34am On Dec 04, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
CERNUNNOS

[img]http://4.bp..com/-hMkUOhXUS6U/TVYBA6gsngI/AAAAAAAAAJw/l8F0_aNed6U/s400/Cernunnos2.jpg[/img]

Is this not madness......

That guy looks like motero of mortal kombat.......lol....

2 Likes

Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:26pm On Dec 04, 2012
ijawkid:

Is this not madness......

That guy looks like motero of mortal kombat.......lol....

no he doesnt look like Motaro! he doesnt have curved ram horns.

anyways many video games and movies and literature, etc., use characters based on actual Gods. why ? because each God symbolizes a particular sphere of force/nature of things.

there is nothing wrong in this. just because you fellows are so narrow minded about you man-God. . undecided

1 Like

Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:27pm On Dec 04, 2012
Yewe2011: great thread!

That Shango pic looks powerful.

we must venerate our indigenous African deities and idols.

Every religion does so. When you go into an Chinese restaurant, or a Hindu shop they have their altars, statues, etc. We must have ours...that is from where you get your power from.

yes i agree. well said infact!

THe small shrines in their shops, etc., just give off so much positive energy. they place some sweet-smelling incense nearby. it is all about the positive spiritual forces. We Africans could learn a thing or 2 from them. .
Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by DaVinChiSam(m): 9:10pm On Dec 10, 2012
Nice tread

1 Like

Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by DaVinChiSam(m): 8:09pm On Dec 11, 2012
Benin Mask
Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by Nobody: 8:28pm On Dec 11, 2012
THIS BRAH IS UNDER A DELUSION. YOU UNDER THAT 2 THESSALONIANS 2 VS 11 AND ISAIAH 66 VS 4 DELUSION.
PSALM 96 VS 5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens
<<< PONDER ON THAT

4 Likes

Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by Ubenedictus(m): 2:42am On Dec 12, 2012
DaVinChiSam: Benin Mask
d benin mask isn't an idol oh! It is d face of one of d queens (long dead) of benin. The stuff isn't worshiped.

1 Like

Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by DaVinChiSam(m): 8:56pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ubenedictus: d benin mask isn't an idol oh! It is d face of one of d queens (long dead) of benin. The stuff isn't worshiped.

Din't say it was worshipped now did I? Was just flowing with the topic brah
Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by Ubenedictus(m): 1:53pm On Dec 13, 2012
DaVinChiSam:

Din't say it was worshipped now did I? Was just flowing with the topic brah
d topic is "idols from different...." and d pic here have been on idol, u added d benin mask to it, u went off topic cos d benin mask is no idol
Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:19pm On Dec 13, 2012
its ok brothers take it easy............humans make mistakes wink

lets continue with the topic in good spirit.. smiley
Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by Ubenedictus(m): 10:20am On Dec 14, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
its ok brothers take it easy............humans make mistakes wink

lets continue with the topic in good spirit.. smiley
nah probs!
Re: Idols From Different Pagan/ethnic Religions by PAPAAFRICA: 10:15am On Jun 17, 2013
Would the ife bronze castes be considered idols?

(1) (2) (Reply)

8 Reasons You Should Not Miss The Rapture / What Are The Consequences Of Ignoring God's Call To Service? / What Is The Difference Between The Word Of Wisdom And The Word Of Knowledge Gift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.