Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,008 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! (5317 Views)

Connecting Dstv As Internet / List Of Top 10 Countries By Number Of Internet Users (naija Made The List) / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by BlackPikiN(m): 12:25pm On Mar 03, 2012
The latest international research centre classifications confirm that Nigeria with a population of 155 million has exceeded the 45 million Internet users. This data propels the African giant to the continental top place.

Second place goes to Egypt with 21.7 million users (and 80 million inhabitants), followed by Morocco (15.7 million Web users) and Kenya (10.6 million users).

The Nigeria’s Internet sector has been hindered by the country’s underdeveloped and unreliable fixed-line infrastructure, but has changed as competition intensifies and new technologies are able to deliver wireless broadband access. More than 400 ISPs have been licensed as well as a number of data carriers, Internet exchange and gateway operators. Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) is already carrying the bulk of Nigeria’s international voice traffic.

According to the National Communications Commission (NCC), the current deployment of the country’s first Next Generation Networks (NGN) will drive further convergence of voice, data and video/TV, enabling the provision of triple-play services that will ultimately also involve the country’s already competitive broadcasting sector.

The Commission also said that Nigeria is the most competitive fixed-line market in Africa, featuring a second national operator (SNO) and over 50 other companies licensed to provide fixed telephony services.

The alternative carriers combined now provide more than twice the number of fixed lines than the comatose NITEL, which the government is planning to liquidate.

Analysts suggest that strong demand for Internet services and broadband capabilities is aiding the development of the fixed-line sector, which at a market penetration of just over 1% still has enormous growth potential.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/03/03/nigeria-ranks-top-as-internet-users-in-africa/
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by sniperwolf(m): 1:15pm On Mar 03, 2012
No wonder internet providers are sucking our blood with their high tariff and poor services
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by jorel1(m): 1:17pm On Mar 03, 2012
yes internet users in cybercafe,,
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by success4(m): 1:20pm On Mar 03, 2012
No more news!
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by beespak7(m): 1:26pm On Mar 03, 2012
jor-el:

yes internet users in cybercafe,,

You will be shocked at the amount of nigerians who use the internet with their smartphones, laptops, and moderms. Cyber cafe is slowly dying off and becoming old school in nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by victorazy(m): 1:30pm On Mar 03, 2012
So what is there in return?
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by Baawaa(m): 1:35pm On Mar 03, 2012
What is our population to the other African countries  
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by Nobody: 1:48pm On Mar 03, 2012
No1 in Africa my a$$, when an average south-african, libya and egypt, cotonou, and ghanian would navigate the same cyberspace and download info we would spend months downloading within 30 mins.
While in the US late last year, the internet service I used there was a 50/20 Mbps Plan with a dedicated modem, and internet security and cost me $99 and I could use it for a whole year. I have never seen anything so wonderful, yet, the American government is planning to create better internet speed if not the world best. So much for deregulation in this country. So far, internet in Nigeria is a big fraud and thank God, with the NCC protecting the providers, it seems we will keep celebrating rubbish.
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by agabaI23(m): 1:54pm On Mar 03, 2012
Baawaa:

Percentage of users
29% in Nigeria
27% in Egypt
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by chrishenzo: 1:55pm On Mar 03, 2012
Baawaa:

aasog1:

No1 in Africa my a$$, when an average south-african, libya and egypt, cotonou, and ghanian would navigate the same cyberspace and download info we would spend months downloading within 30 mins.
While in the US late last year, the internet service I used there was a 50/20 Mbps Plan with a dedicated modem, and internet security and cost me $99 and I could use it for a whole year. I have never seen anything so wonderful, yet, the American government is planning to create better internet speed if not the world best. So much for deregulation in this country. So far, internet in Nigeria is a big fraud and thank God, with the NCC protecting the providers, it seems we will keep celebrating rubbish.

Thank you my brothers. Saying Nigeria is the top internet user is like saying China is the world most rice consumer knowing fully well that they have the highest population. Even a child knows the answer.

As the internet speed, it is a big time scam. Imagine paying for some thousands but yet can't even watch videos in youtube.
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by Rgp92: 2:08pm On Mar 03, 2012
chrishenzo:

Thank you my brothers. Saying Nigeria is the top internet user is like saying China is the world most rice consumer knowing fully well that they have the highest population. Even a child knows the answer.

As the internet speed, it is a big time scam. Imagine paying for some thousands but yet can't even watch videos in youtube.

Did you read the news?
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by pzing: 2:12pm On Mar 03, 2012
What are Nigerians doing on the Internet?
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by KINGwax(m): 2:22pm On Mar 03, 2012
aasog1:

why don't u do your research properly? Even in US, roof internet providers are whack and most people complain abt them. You might as well tell me everywher in the states is covered!
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by GWslim(f): 2:31pm On Mar 03, 2012
Blackberry phone users must have caused this.
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by billion11: 2:48pm On Mar 03, 2012
More and more companies realize that the Nigerian market is very interesting and that will help the development of infrastructure for Internet.
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by Nobody: 3:16pm On Mar 03, 2012
It's the BIS and Pinging guys that made it so. Hail bb babes!
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by oneuniquemind(m): 3:59pm On Mar 03, 2012
The meaning of Africa sud either a market place or a business center.alwes on top
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by agabaI23(m): 4:36pm On Mar 03, 2012
chrishenzo:

May be you are in one big village. I watch live streaming of premier league matches using glo sub-3G(H) network.

And about China being the highest rice consumer analogy, I converted the numbers stated to the percentage of the population and Nigeria is still 2% ahead of Egypt.
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by newslive(f): 4:41pm On Mar 03, 2012
old story naa

Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by jspac(m): 4:52pm On Mar 03, 2012
pzing:

What are Nigerians doing on the Internet?
chatting,Indecency,downloading,google(In search of free browsing codes) And YAHOO! grin
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by jspac(m): 4:59pm On Mar 03, 2012
sniperwolf:

No wonder internet providers are sucking our blood with their high tariff and poor services
Compensated with free browsing. Special thanks to all free browsing gurus.
cheesy
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by valencia25(m): 5:58pm On Mar 03, 2012
Nairaland shey u hear wetin u make us achieve now
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by Drunk: 3:21am On Mar 04, 2012
ok, noted
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by member479760: 7:06am On Mar 04, 2012
nothing to celebrate about, we suppose to be number 1 owing to our population. more work still need to be done in this regard.
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by drnoel: 8:39am On Mar 04, 2012
Then imagine how much money google will make when they set-up in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by erico2k2(m): 1:08pm On Mar 04, 2012
lol that guy who said you cant watch videos in youtube U funny die, mayB your village is bellow sea level grin grin grin grin
Loads of you think Nigeria is one big Bush any plus in that our rubish country must b celebrated lol
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by iyes(m): 2:14pm On Mar 04, 2012
B4 nko?
Trust 9ja. If no be bad governance, we suppose lead the whole world in many good things.
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by walcolm(m): 3:18pm On Mar 04, 2012
aasog1:

well, one thing you have to realize is that with critical mass comes better value for the end users. what has been happening is that the nigerian market has been growing so any idiot can come in and still milk profit. remember the report says like 400 ISPs have been licensed. with a population of 160million and 90 million of that using GSM actively the market will soon stabilize

once the market size stabilizes, people will start moving to the person who provides the most cost effective service, so the competition will shift to bigger data plan and faster speeds.
Re: Nigeria Ranks Top As Internet Users In Africa! by opeyemi50505050: 7:24pm On Mar 04, 2012
No wonder!

(1) (Reply)

Get A Fix For Your Phones, Laptops And Tablet Without Moving An Inch / Which Anti-virus Is Best For Our Computers? / Acer 12hrs Battery, 8gb Ram, 256gb Ssd, 6th Gen. Core I5 2gb Nvidia Graphics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.