Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,807 members, 7,810,100 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:44 PM

Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue (10839 Views)

Jonathan Plans Sovereign National Conference, Sends letter to NASS- Daily Trust / Suntai Sends Letter To House Of Assembly Asking To Resume As Governor / Boko Haram Sends Out Second Video - "We Will Consume Jonathan In 3 Months" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by ballabriggs: 2:09am On Nov 27, 2012
Nigeria Boko Haram member sends letter offering dialogue
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria | Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:14pm GMT

(Reuters) - A purported senior member of Islamist militant group Boko Haram has distributed a letter requesting talks with the government, a day after a double suicide bombing blamed on the sect killed at least 11 and wounded 30 in an army barracks.

The letter was signed by Sheik Abu Mohammed Ibn Abdulazeez, a man known by local security sources to be a sect member but considered to be a moderate.

If the letter is genuine, it would appear to mark a change of tack for the Islamists that fits ill with a spate of violent episodes, including the bombing of the military church on Sunday. That bombing showed a degree of sophistication not seen from Boko Haram for months.

Nearly 3,000 people have died violent deaths related to the conflict since the sect launched its uprising in 2009, according to a count by Human Rights Watch. Boko Haram has replaced militancy in the oil-rich Niger Delta over that time to become the biggest security threat to Africa's top energy producer.

The letter was handed to the national head of the union of journalists, Aba Kakami, who has often received and distributed statements from the sect, usually claiming attacks against high profile targets or warning of them.

Communication with the shadowy Islamists, who are fighting to impose sharia, Islamic law, on Nigeria, has been even more sporadic than normal since the military killed their spokesman Abu Qaqa in September in a gun battle.

Abdulazeez first contacted journalists in Maiduguri earlier this month, setting conditions for peace talks in teleconference and nominating former military ruler and northerner Muhammadu Buhari as a mediator. Buhari has since declined the offer.

"We are by this letter of invitation to our respected elders proving to government that we are not joking with the government, but we are awaiting the response of those concerned," the letter said.

Abdulazeez said he was speaking on behalf of Abubakar Shekau, the sect's leader.

But even if Abdulazeez does represent Shekau, the extent to which Boko Haram is controlled by Shekau is in doubt, and analysts think military pressure has fragmented it.

The letter nominated as mediator Imam Gabchiya, an official from the university in the city of Maiduguri, in the heartland of the Islamist insurgency against President Goodluck Jonathan's government.

There was no immediate reaction from government officials, but Jonathan said on November 18 that no talks were going on with Boko Haram while they remained faceless and in the shadows.

The handover of the letter came three days after Nigeria's army offered a 290 million naira (1.1 million pounds) bounty for information leading to the capture of 19 leading members of the sect.

(Reporting by Ibrahim Mshelizza; Writing by Tim Cocks; Editing by Alison Williams)

Source
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by Nobody: 2:16am On Nov 27, 2012
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by omowolewa: 3:07am On Nov 27, 2012
Pls post a copy of that letter along with the source of the news.
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by malele(m): 3:26am On Nov 27, 2012
JTF pls kill those goats called boko haram
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by malele(m): 4:40am On Nov 27, 2012
Boko wants to reinforce and bomb another place.
JTF, shoot those pigs dead and pour acid on there skins.

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by jamace(m): 7:12am On Nov 27, 2012
I hope the letter was written in Arabic language, eh?

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by gsmcoder: 7:14am On Nov 27, 2012
wait and see what the army and sars will do them including those who
be at the wron place at the wrong time. Pray you are not the one.
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by kunletech: 7:17am On Nov 27, 2012
How many Boko rams sect Nigeria will negotiate with? Shee na Buhari sec, Babangida, Atiku, or El rufai Boko Rams be this one that is demanding for negotiation

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by Nobody: 7:19am On Nov 27, 2012
I think they need money. Their leaders are probably broke and FG is still the best person to approach for funds.

GEJ is working.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by oks938: 7:20am On Nov 27, 2012
meaning! Lol not done
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by Kesmakveli(m): 7:21am On Nov 27, 2012
Very funny! They think they can fight the government; now they want dialogue: make dem G̶̲̅O̶̲̅ dialogue with their fathers A̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ Ώ̶̲̣̣̥ά̲̣̣̣̥τ̣̣̥ the govt O̶̷̩̥̊͡Ƒ naija
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by Nobody: 7:21am On Nov 27, 2012
Boko haram made a big mistake by Attacking the army directly. I know very soon the army would start a very bloody retaliation.

4 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by omenziate(m): 7:24am On Nov 27, 2012
Yeah yeah, everyday it is nearly 3000, all dese victims we see on the TV almost on a weekly basis don't count abi? Since june, it has been nearly 3000. JTF, kill dem, shoot their wives and kill dem children.
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by nedu2000(m): 7:24am On Nov 27, 2012
Asking 4 negotiation,means they want compromise,meaning they r on d back foot .....DON'T NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORISTS,GEJ,DON'T !!
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by Caseless: 7:31am On Nov 27, 2012
Let's see how our non-challant gov't handles this. Maybe till dem kill all of us before dem go accept this important offer.
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by Caseless: 7:37am On Nov 27, 2012
omenziate: JTF, kill dem, shoot their wives and kill dem children.
it is because of this mindset and approach that we've lost more than 3000 innocent nigerians. They killed just their leader and u knw what it resulted to and u want the gov't to kill more. I'm not suprised at ur comment cos it is easy to type when u are not in one of those boko haram-torn areas.
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by godswill4m(m): 7:43am On Nov 27, 2012
Are they tired?
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by Nobody: 7:43am On Nov 27, 2012
Minion: Your Wickedness! What is happening here?
Hades: Do you not see the logic here? These guys want to outsmart the government ,well its not as if the government was smart before, but back to my point. This guys want to suck the government up as dry as possible
Minion: Enlarge my IQ my King!
Hades: They will split up into up to five different factions. They each claim full identity of Boko-Haram. The government foolishly pays Boko 1, behind our backs of course. Boko 1 splits the money among itself and Boko 2,3,4,and 5 and then they go to sleep. Then Boko2 will stand up and ask for their share, most likely, they change their name. And so it goes and goes.
Minion: Hmmmm! My Lord! So the cycle of wickedness just goes on and on undecided

4 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by realbigfun: 7:44am On Nov 27, 2012
hahaha boko haram, u pple make a very big mistakes by going to de barracks, u pple hv de mind of going to de lions den. Warchout, de next ting for u pple is oparation boko for u pple, from solders now. If u are a boko haram member pls say ur last prayers to ur gods, b4 de solders will start dere jobs. Marsaca marsaca
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by Gabrielsylar(m): 7:44am On Nov 27, 2012
26th amendment to our constitution....we don't only negotiate with boko haram we also pray for them in the FEC meeting.....
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by ojjp: 7:47am On Nov 27, 2012
D retaliation of army against dis sect depends on d man in affairs of military operation ryt now. D bokos has agents in military n para-military. I pray army doesnt retaliate by makin d innocent citizens pay 4 d thin they knw not.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by Walexz02(m): 8:03am On Nov 27, 2012
Negotiation ko..nogotiation ni..sio
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by Chaclaitmilk(m): 8:09am On Nov 27, 2012
No dialogue for terrorists!

4 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by Super1759: 8:23am On Nov 27, 2012
realbigfun: hahaha boko haram, u pple make a very big mistakes by going to de barracks, u pple hv de mind of going to de lions den. Warchout, de next ting for u pple is oparation boko for u pple, from solders now. If u are a boko haram member pls say ur last prayers to ur gods, b4 de solders will start dere jobs. Marsaca marsaca
oga,take it easy naa. You want to break my ribs?

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by xcubed(m): 8:37am On Nov 27, 2012
realbigfun: hahaha boko haram, u pple make a very big mistakes by going to de barracks, u pple hv de mind of going to de lions den. Warchout, de next ting for u pple is oparation boko for u pple, from solders now. If u are a boko haram member pls say ur last prayers to ur gods, b4 de solders will start dere jobs. Marsaca marsaca

Ohhh wow! Your english is enough to scatter BH. Lol
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by xcubed(m): 8:39am On Nov 27, 2012
Chaclaitmilk:

What is this crap?
Guy write like a normal human being abeg,this your minion and hades bullshit is no longer funny.

I was about saying that, what he wrote didn't make sense, I am sure he was expecting like 5likes on that
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by Emmy9ite(m): 8:41am On Nov 27, 2012
Negative thoughts always brings negative results. The government should approach this in a positive way, dialogue with them. We don't want more deaths, we should be civilised to know that violently chasing them will only lead to more death. Two wrongs never make a right.
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by KINGwax(m): 8:46am On Nov 27, 2012
We don't wanna talk. Keep reducing the population of the north for us. In the end, we will break up and leave u in your ruins. Abi e don tire u?

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by Nobody: 8:53am On Nov 27, 2012
Am watching!
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by westreign(m): 9:02am On Nov 27, 2012
pls those saying negotiate with boko haram what do you want government to negotiate about,
to pay them money?
grant amnesty?
stop the killings?
or what?
Govt must take the war to them too, america neva negotiate with osama, nigeria cant negotiate now its too late.
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 27, 2012
xcubed:

I was about saying that, what he wrote didn't make sense, I am sure he was expecting like 5likes on that
I didnt expect any likes. I Posted out of boredom.
I am gettin bored of it too. So forgive me if I sound distasteful
Re: Boko Haram Sends Letter Offering Dialogue by ebukah: 9:08am On Nov 27, 2012
GEJ no negotiations o!...

(1) (2) (Reply)

‘7 Wells Drilled In Bida Basin Show Signs Of Oil’ - Ramatu Yar’Adua / Breaking- Former Gov TA Orji Arrested With Son / Lagos Youths To Benefit More From Sanwo-olu’s Reelection – Aregbe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.